• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal next week

Dude...awesome. Was just thinking how much I wanted another one after looking through early b&w NYC pics in the OT historical photos thread.

edit: Ah shoot just noticed the 70s cars. Fuck it probably my next favorite time period.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
so around this time are we still dealing with the italian mafia...or will it focus on say the irish, russian, albanian mafia etc.?

Realistically they could make it any. I know Russian mafia have always had a presence in the south, but most people don't typically associate the south with organized crime in that way, so they could just pick anything and roll with it. It could just be a crime game in general, keeping the Mafia name just as brand recognition.

DirtyLarry

so around this time are we still dealing with the italian mafia...or will it focus on say the irish, russian, albanian mafia etc.?
I just Googled it as I was curious, and apparently in Louisana around 1970 there was what was known as The Dixie Mafia.
Taken from Wikipedia...
Unlike members of the Sicilian Mafia, the members of the Dixie Mafia were not connected by family or country of origin. They were loosely connected individuals of many nationalities with a common goal: to make money and wield control over illegal moneymaking operations by any means, including influence peddling, bribery of public officials, and murder

So if they are going to stay close to reality, it may be multiple nationalities this time around.

Denton

Hmm Mafia 2 still looks very nice for 5 years old game, getting an itch to replay it..
I would like M3 to use same (improved) engine, it ran, felt and looked great.

mafia2_2015_07_28_20_lwpop.png

mafia2_2015_07_28_20_ddob6.png

Nzyme32

First on Xbox?

How do you jump to that conclusion?

The Gamescom timing. I really doubt it, but I think it was rumored once or twice. Probably just gonna be shown on stage.

I hope we see gameplay.

I usually figure gamescom as more of a PC place if anything, but I'm pretty sure Mafia 3 will be multiplatform. They've had pretty big success on pretty much every platform as far as I am aware

GnawtyDog

Banned
Looking forward to it at MS conference. My guess is the game will have some sort of exclusive marketing or DLC with MS.

Given the trade-off, GTA vs. nothing, MS will take it. 2K also needs a willing a partner so both parties benefit.

i didnt play the first one and i played the second one on the 360 and it ran like shit, image quality was also bad, story was ok but didnt like the main character at all, also too much driving, i hope the third one is better than the second one.

-BLITZ-

Are those cars from the 60 or 70. I can't tell. If is the 70 that will be something new and interesting from a series that never expected 10 years ago to be going forward with the era.

So as it was speculated and leaked, Louisiana is the main location now, yet instead of three main characters we have a new one and is a woman. Nice!

Mr. Tibbs

Very cool. The leaks about Louisiana setting seem to be spot on. Lots of seriously talented people at Hangar 13, so I'm very excited. I can't wait to see the Gamescom reveal.

whoszed

Needless to say I'm looking forward to this as Mafia 1 is my GOAT.

However, Mafia 2 was a big step back from the original, so I am very much prepared to not get what I want.

Barakov

Loved what I played of Mafia II. So I'm definitely interested in this new one. Hopefully, they give you some side stuff to do in this one. Outside of the main missions in II there wasn't much to do from what I remember.

Lug Nuts

Banned
I hope they recapture the incredible atmosphere of the first game. I also hope they keep the simulation driving option from 2.

I... I really dont know...
Not really excited when Mafia and and 2 are some of my favourite games ever, but not being done by the same devs makes me a little afraid (I dont really give a fuck if they had problems with Mafia 2, still love the game).
Mafia in 70's Lousiana seems interesting, will wait for it to be shown, hope Hangar13 doesnt fuck it up.

AMC124c41

Neo Member
Please have the Mafia 2 driving physics, please have the Mafia 2 driving physics, please God please ! Not another open world kart racing game. Hope they'll keep the option to allow you to switch between Arcade and Simulation as well, so everyone can be happy :)

Squire

Banned
I just Googled it as I was curious, and apparently in Louisana around 1970 there was what was known as The Dixie Mafia.
Taken from Wikipedia...

So if they are going to stay close to reality, it may be multiple nationalities this time around.

Huh. Dixie Mafia is a thing on the TV show Justified. Probably part of the inspiration.

xHiryu

Hella hyped, the atmosphere (specifically the snow sections) of Mafia II was incredible but do wish there was more to do in the game. The game felt like a large, empty, yet gorgeous sandbox with nothing much to do. Hopefully they improve on the combat (it was serviceable) and the weird driving physics. Saw someone on GAF mention that they should use the Nemesis system from Mordor and apply it to gangsters, I thought that was a great ass idea too.

Compared to the old logo, there's the generic font and it looks squished.

Stretching it out makes it look a little more familiar, but you still have that simplistic font.

The new logo looks like shit, thats for sure.
Not confident also that the guys making the game have a totally different culture from the original and is new made studio without any game as a group on their backs.
Im reading now the director is the writer of some star wars games, and not the good ones, and being director of a game is totally diferent of being a writer.
If they use a real city, they already fail from the get a go, so I hope its invented like Lost Heaven and Empire Bay.

Not confident at all.

Squire

Banned
The new logo looks like shit, thats for sure.
Not confident also that the guys making the game have a totally different culture from the original and is new made studio without any game as a group on their backs.
Im reading now the director is the writer of some star wars games, and not the good ones, and being director of a game is totally diferent of being a writer.

Not confident at all.

Is it Haden Blackman per chance? He directed both Firce Unlesshed games, which are total garbage, but what I've read of his comic book writing is pretty good.

Is it Haden Blackman per chance? He directed both Firce Unlesshed games, which are total garbage, but what I've read of his comic book writing is pretty good.

Yes. Thats why im not confident at all about this game.
As much as some people hate the empty open world of Mafia 2 (the game was sadly unfinished becuase it was getting too big), the atmospheare is unparalled, thanks to 2K Czech, and we have not to forget that Mafia 1 was a piece of art than to Vavra (now at Darkhorse). With the guys gone they have a lot of work to show they are up to par, and being Haden the game director doesnt help in the slightlest.
Being a good comic writer doesnt make you a good videogame director.

Checking out their website and it says that they're also developing their own proprietary engine for this game. Makes me hope that the scenery in the banner resembles the ingame graphics.

They also have people who have been working on various LucasArts games.

First on Xbox?

Oh get lost with that shit.

Mr. Tibbs

With the guys gone they have a lot of work to show they are up to par, and being Haden the game director doesnt help in the slightlest.
Being a good comic writer doesnt make you a good videogame director.

Just a quick glance at Linkedin shows that dozens of 2K Czech employees relocated to Novato in 2013. Designers, artists, programmers. It's hardly a clean break. Haden is the studio head, Matthias Worch is the design director.

codhand

Mafia 1, one of the greatest PC games of its era,

Mafia 2, a shit open world, with some of the least likeable/ racist cast of characters ever put to polygons.

dmix90

Please have the Mafia 2 driving physics, please have the Mafia 2 driving physics, please God please ! Not another open world kart racing game. Hope they'll keep the option to allow you to switch between Arcade and Simulation as well, so everyone can be happy :)
This. Mafia 2 driving was so good, on par or even better than Grand Theft Auto IV( and btw i think V driving is worse than IV, why Rockstar? ). I also don't need many side missions in my Mafia game :p, II was great in that regard...nice story focused campaign without too many distractions
C9aJr9D.png

Please Hangar 13.....do not "Assassin's Creed" it. Please.

codhand

This. Mafia 2 driving was so good, on par or even better than Grand Theft Auto IV( and btw i think V driving is worse than IV, why Rockstar? ). I also don't need many side missions in my Mafia game :p, II was great in that regard...nice story focused campaign without too many distractions
C9aJr9D.png

Please Hangar 13.....do not "Assassin's Creed" it. Please.

yes Unity went way overboard with icons, but as a game it was good (on PC) and i wouldnt outright bemoan a large amount of optional content. nothing wrong with giving players the option to stay a while longer.

ChomeurDeFrance

Neo Member
I played recently at Mafia 2 (thanks GWG on Xbox 360) and my opinion is far to be good.

Firstly, the open-world is just a joke, she are making for marketing purpose only. I think 2K wanted to have her own GTA, but I don't believe it's a developers will. The city is empty, dull, no activities, no cool things to do. The only interest of this open-world aim to improve the lifetime with round trip between a point A to point B.

Regarding the script, he is flat, the characters are caricatures of mafiosi. No cults scenes, and the end of game with the revelation of the murderer of our father is totally ridiculous!

The gameplay is annoying. The gunfights are boring, feeling with guns is very flat. And then, you want to talk about cops? They runs after you in all town just for a speeding ticket! It's "funny" the first 20 minutes, but after that is damned boring!!!!!

However, Mafia 2 is not totally bad. Some sequences are astouning. For example the part in prison, or the different weather (winter and summer). I would like to see the same things in GTA.
For Mafia 3, I hope 2K will abandonned the open-world for a linear game. I want they focus on script, the universe, characters and gameplay. 2k Czech doesn't have the means to reach a game like GTA, no doubt on it! They focus on the principle, a story on Mafiosi, with mature dialogues and a good gunfight system.

Thanks for reading me.

Stiler

Am I the only one that wish more open world games would be like the first Mafia and focus more on the storyline and less on "filler" side-quest/collectibiles?

The Ubisoft games get so boring because they spend so much time on filler crap, collect these feathers, collect these pages, blah blah blah.

I liked the more narrative focus of Mafia and still remember it's storyline and characters.

more so then any Ubisoft or GTA game where I usually get side-tracked and eventually lose interest, never finishing most of them.

It won't be at Microsoft's conference. August 4 and 5 are completely different days.

Devils Advocate. That doesn't mean much. This wouldn't be the first game to get a small CG/tease trailer before an event, and something bigger during a conference. It's not first on xbox IMO, but that doesn't mean they won't show for comarketing.

dmix90

yes Unity went way overboard with icons, but as a game it was good (on PC) and i wouldnt outright bemoan a large amount of optional content. nothing wrong with giving players the option to stay a while longer.
Don't get me wrong, i like AC and actually think Unity was one of the best ones. But i dont want them to focus too much on filler content, especially considering dev team size. I am afraid story stuff will inevitably suffer from it and i dont want that. Even Ubisoft army can't handle that properly.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm excited, but a little skeptical. The studio is completely new, so hopefully they're up to the challenge. Even 2K Czech struggled to make a sequel that lived up to the brilliant first Mafia.

As I'm sure they've listened to all the fan feedback about the "empty open world," I hope they keep the narrative focus and only add side activities that contribute to the characters and story.

ArjanN

I thought it was funny that I beat the campaign for Mafia 2 completely and only after that found out there were wanted poster collectibles, that's how unobtrusive they were.

Kabouter

I thought it was funny that I beat the campaign for Mafia 2 completely and only after that found out there were wanted poster collectibles, that's how unobtrusive they were.

I think after playing through the game like twice I collected like...four or five.

Top Bottom