• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

careful

Didn't follow the beta thread, but how is the performance in the larger games? Does framerate take a hit in the 256p games? How about gameplay? Is it a total clusterfuck?

Click

Banned
As to not clutter up the first page with images, here are the box art and other stuff...

(Credit goes to "archnemesis" for finding most of the box art)

NA:
mag_cover.jpg

EU / PAL:
MAG_Box_art_EU.png

EU / PAL Headset bundle:
1zn3cps.jpg

Collector's Edition:
2m4so5i.jpg

Default controls:
3836815331_dfa7f0bc39_o.jpg

Screenshots:

http://blog.mag.com/blog/category/screenshots/

ZZMitch

I will probably be buying this game day one...

I have a blu-tooth headset, but I can't get it to work, super annoying.

Nice op, can't wait to read through it tomorrow. You could always mention the amazon deal if it's still going on as a pre-order bonus.

I'm still debating on the faction to roll with. May be a last minute choice.

sk3tch

TheFatOne said:
MAG is for hardcore players only go back to the Uncharted 2 thread.

You are probably not being serious...but just in case, if anyone is "concerned" that they are not "hardcore" enough for MAG...don't worry. It's a lot of fun even for someone that is more "casual" - just make sure you play with friends (join a GAF clan!) and it'll be a lot better. The first couple hours can be rough because you are getting used to everything.

Always thought the gun at the bottom made the cover look all weird. Also weird that the American PMC isn't on the NA cover.

The CE does not sound like it's worth the extra £5 at all.

Wes

venison crêpe
slider said:
I've been an idiot with this. I really like the concept and amn excited by it's imminent release. However being generally crap at gaming I should've given it at least a little bit of attention during the beta. I'll get it but I know I'll suck and will get thoroughly schooled.

: (

Join one of the GAF PMC clans (Raven ftw). Teamplay is the most important thing in this game so they'll be more than happy to help you out. By helping you out, they're making their chances of success greater :D

Haven't played a game like this where I've been so keenly aware of positioning/helping out my teammates. If I see a gap on the frontlines on the map, I'll fill it. If I see a man down, I'll revive him no matter where they are. If a squadmember is getting sniped, I'll for-go whatever I had been doing and go to flank the sniping position.

So yeah, join Raven or SVER. I'm sure the SVER guys are just as helpful as us Raven folk were/are/will be. That's my advice for the best possible introduction to the game.

TheFatOne

sk3tch said:
You are probably not being serious...but just in case, if anyone is "concerned" that they are not "hardcore" enough for MAG...don't worry. It's a lot of fun even for someone that is more "casual" - just make sure you play with friends (join a GAF clan!) and it'll be a lot better. The first couple hours can be rough because you are getting used to everything.

I am offended sketch. Did you not play several games with me last night (The super awesome King Lyulf). Of course I am just kidding, but Kilgore is awful at video games. BTW I thought I should mention this in this thread I am going to be the KING of Valor.

slider

Wes said:
Join one of the GAF PMC clans (Raven ftw). Teamplay is the most important thing in this game so they'll be more than happy to help you out. By helping you out, they're making their chances of success greater :D

Haven't played a game like this where I've been so keenly aware of positioning/helping out my teammates. If I see a gap on the frontlines on the map, I'll fill it. If I see a man down, I'll revive him no matter where they are. If a squadmember is getting sniped, I'll for-go whatever I had been doing and go to flank the sniping position.

So yeah, join Raven or SVER. I'm sure the SVER guys are just as helpful as us Raven folk were/are/will be. That's my advice for the best possible introduction to the game.

Huh, I guess it's too early to give up hope just yet.

The bold grabs my attention. It's how online gaming should be.

Cheers.

Great point for us against Villa today!

TheFallen

So apparently some people didn't realize this tactic (I suppose that's what it is). But when you're laying there bleeding out and you're unsure whether or not a medic is on the way, you can look at the squad portion of your HUD. If there's someone dead and awaiting on respawn, the meter will be drop down every second. This is how you can find out when the next batch of respawns are happening. So you can time it correctly and force the bleed out without missing the next one. There's a slight delay once you hit X, so do it when the meter is around 30%.

Kowak

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I am offended sketch. Did you not play several games with me last night (The super awesome King Lyulf). Of course I am just kidding, but Kilgore is awful at video games. BTW I thought I should mention this in this thread I am going to be the KING of Valor.

I think you are going to face stiff competition from all the other gaffers in Valor.

Wes

venison crêpe
slider said:
Huh, I guess it's too early to give up hope just yet.

The bold grabs my attention. It's how online gaming should be.

What I said should have come with a health warning though. You'll only experience this when working in either a squad where the majority of people have a microphone or where you know the rest of your squad. Sometimes, when playing solo, you'll be put in a squad of people who think the object of the game is to get the best k:d ratio. It's not.

During the beta I didn't have a mic and the only drawback I felt was that I wasn't able to help my team as much as possible. You can still play and contribute significantly without one, but I'm definitely geting one for retail.

Plus I want to be able to laugh manically when I kill a sniper and they get to hear me.

TheFatOne

Kowak said:
20554_247564866723_579306723_3354256_6947648_n.jpg

saw this on facebook

I will resurrect Valor GAF. I'm currently looking for Valor recruits please send me your resumes. Prior FPS experience is necessary (Modern Warfare 1 and 2 don't count).

ZZMitch

TheFatOne said:
I will resurrect Valor GAF. I'm currently looking for Valor recruits please send me your resumes. Prior FPS experience is necessary (Modern Warfare 1 and 2 don't count).

what abouts Halo? :D

RS4-

Fuck, I don't know what to do. I think I'll pick it up opening week and tear shit up with SVER again :lol

Noshino

damn, there was an awful bug earlier today, there was a guy that was sliding while laying on the ground, my brother was the one that saw it and I was cracking up at the idea, but then he showed it to me.

It was on SVER's Sab map, at the northeast corner of the obj A building

oh and sorry iam and xploited, my brothers wanted to try, so they ll be playing for a few more matches, I ll probably play in like 30 or so.

I'm done for the night actually. Man, we got destroyed both matches. Like, "losing in the minimum time needed" kind of destroyed.

TheFallen

templeusox said:
I'm done for the night actually. Man, we got destroyed both matches. Like, "losing in the minimum time needed" kind of destroyed.
I figured I'd play a few matches to close out the night. Had considered switching to SVER hoping there'd be more players online but instead saw both of you online on Raven. Those were probably some of the quickest matches I've played. Sort of disheartening. :lol

Noshino

TheFallen said:
I figured I'd play a few matches to close out the night. Had considered switching to SVER hoping there'd be more players online but instead saw both of you online on Raven. Those were probably some of the quickest matches I've played. Sort of disheartening. :lol

sorry mate, I was cracking up though, my brothers are not used to too many people at once, they are too used to COD's kind of gameplay. My apologies if you enjoyed the game less because of them :C

TheFallen

Noshino said:
sorry mate, I was cracking up though, my brothers are not used to too many people at once, they are too used to COD's kind of gameplay. My apologies if you enjoyed the game less because of them :C
Nah. :lol Definitely had more to do with the coordination of the other team compared to ours. We just got rocked. Didn't even have A for more than a few seconds.

Bajan32

Guess I'm really doomed to a life of loving awesome games that never get their due...KZ2, MGO, UC2, and now MAG.

But god I hope I'm wrong about MAG and how popular it gets. Because I f'n loved the game at both stages of beta I got to play.

Favourite fps since KZ for sure and I love the gameplay and mechanics. MW2 made such a splash, but I played to like lvl30 and tried the MAG beta and never looked back.

.....need to buy a slim in the next few days it seems.

R4L!!!

jorma

is now taking requests
A bit weird that the NA cover has the EU faction while the EU cover has the Russian Rednex faction. I guess Valor will be on the cover over there!

I just preordered the game and I'll be going Raven so if there's any kind of list to get on for that I would like to be put on it.

PSN: Polyhedron

Click

Banned
FoxMcCloudDS said:
I am seriously debating on trading in my MW2 for MAG... What would you guys say?

I did and don't regret the decision one bit.

And it was the beta too, not even the official game.
MAG is that addicting... once you get the hang of the game, maps, and tactics.

Firestorm

Have they revealed how the patching will work? The beta was so horrible that I never even played it. 2GB download every time I thought to jump in =(

Firestorm said:
Have they revealed how the patching will work? The beta was so horrible that I never even played it. 2GB download every time I thought to jump in =(

That was game data (installation) download because of beta restarts, not patches. Patches will be significantly smaller.

Firestorm

Lagspike_exe said:
That was game data (installation) download because of beta restarts, not patches. Patches will be significantly smaller.
ohh ok. Urgh. Would have liked to try it though =/ I tried like 3 times between September and November and then just gave up.

jorma

is now taking requests
CryptiK said:
I so wanted this game but then I heard there was a nasty surprise coming with it DO NOT WANT

You mean the SVER dynamic theme they are packing in with my preorder? Yeah, i agree :X

Top Bottom