• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Rorschach

What I played of the Beta was pretty crappy, but for some reason I'm inclined to pick this up. :(

I won't make the mistake of going Raven a third time, though!

sk3tch

TheFatOne said:
I am offended sketch. Did you not play several games with me last night (The super awesome King Lyulf). Of course I am just kidding, but Kilgore is awful at video games. BTW I thought I should mention this in this thread I am going to be the KING of Valor.

All I know is that a certain someone was TK'in fools... :D

CryptiK said:
I so wanted this game but then I heard there was a nasty surprise coming with it DO NOT WANT

What is this shit? Care to elaborate or is this just a troll and dash??

Ploid 3.0

For the open beta I was Valor all the way, and for the tournament I started as Valor, but saw my error and picked SVER. Haven't looked back since. It's all wins with a random loss. Not sure how well SVER hold up in Domination, and such but so far they are pimps.

Defected

sk3tch

Pretty interesting video I found on GiantBomb.com from November...interview with Seth Luisi:

http://www.giantbomb.com/mag-interview/17-1592/

I wasn't aware that the persistence actually resets every few days. I guess the whole thing is tournament style and once it is won the team that wins gets perks and then the tourney restarts. He said that cycle goes every few days. A lot of video of additional maps and play styles that I have not yet been exposed to in this IGN tournament. Some of those maps are HUGE...plus vehicles will be sweet.

FoxMcCloudDS said:
I am seriously debating on trading in my MW2 for MAG... What would you guys say?

Do it.....cause I sure as hell did ( trade-in: 31.25 at amazon). couldn't stand MW2 anymore with all that spawn killing and camping in the game....

anyways, great OP J-Rzez, I am ready to put in that work for my Raven brethren :D

Rorschach said:
What I played of the Beta was pretty crappy, but for some reason I'm inclined to pick this up. :(

I won't make the mistake of going Raven a third time, though!

Though I spend most of the matches trying to break my controller I can't back away from Raven. I refuse to concede defeat even if it means I am a masochist.

Awesome job on the thread JR.

Vinci

Danish
BruceLeeRoy said:
Though I spend most of the matches trying to break my controller I can't back away from Raven. I refuse to concede defeat even if it means I am a masochist.

Turns out I'm not as masochistic as you are, man. This game has downgraded to a rental for me. =(

Vinci

Danish
ZZMitch said:
Does it mean that it is impossible to get the platinum trophy then? :lol

Well, they said you couldn't make multiple characters - and that you can be recruited by the opposing sides. So I'm assuming all you have to do to get each trophy is be recruited from one side to another to another.

ZZMitch

Vinci said:
Well, they said you couldn't make multiple characters - and that you can be recruited by the opposing sides. So I'm assuming all you have to do to get each trophy is be recruited from one side to another to another.

Oh, I didn't know about the recruiting thing, good stuff.

Vinci said:
Turns out I'm not as masochistic as you are, man. This game has downgraded to a rental for me. =(

I completely understand man. Those matches we played together were rough. Did you get your mic working?

TheFatOne said:
You don't choose Valor. Valor chooses you.

@TheFatOne

I will send a message to all the existing members of ValorGAF from the open beta and try to get an ider of who is returning. If you want to run this bitch, be my guest, if you need help let me know.

Vinci

Danish
BruceLeeRoy said:
I completely understand man. Those matches we played together were rough. Did you get your mic working?

Yeah, those were awful - but they're not really the reason. My problem, once I started thinking about it, is this: I don't buy a lot of games due to keeping a very strict budget, and I asked myself, "Do I want to buy one that may or may not be possible to play after a month or two, depending on how well the community receives it?"

FWIW, though... Whatever the reason - be it unbalanced maps, player skill, having more folks on mic, whatever - SVER is just a bitch to play against. Perhaps it's due to the low population in the tourney forcing higher-level folks to play in Sabotage or whatever - but they're just miserable to fight against. I played four matches in a row versus SVER this morning and... it was possibly the least fun experience I've ever had in a FPS. Now, I'm not crying - hell, I'm giving props where it's deserved - but I don't see people sticking with this if that level of sheer domination continues.

Obviously, people will say, "Well, you should play with Raven GAF - it's so much better!"... but I never see anyone on, so I can only assume we play at dramatically different times. Which sort of kills the point.

And yeah, I got my mic working. Mostly used it to tell a guy that loud rap music doesn't really help with communication in a match. Then he yelled and screamed and cussed because SVER guys were killing him with pistols. I laughed, then died a lot. [Not to pistols, thankfully, but yeah.]

At any rate: Props to the SVER folks, and please everyone don't play loud rap music while you're using a mic. It's just stupid.

Cagen

Anerythristic said:
@TheFatOne

I will send a message to all the existing members of ValorGAF from the open beta and try to get an ider of who is returning. If you want to run this bitch, be my guest, if you need help let me know.
:lol The last thing Lyulf needs is power, his ego will encompass the world.

Vinci said:
Yeah, those were awful - but they're not really the reason. My problem, once I started thinking about it, is this: I don't buy a lot of games due to keeping a very strict budget, and I asked myself, "Do I want to buy one that may or may not be possible to play after a month or two, depending on how well the community receives it?"

FWIW, though... Whatever the reason - be it unbalanced maps, player skill, having more folks on mic, whatever - SVER is just a bitch to play against. Perhaps it's due to the low population in the tourney forcing higher-level folks to play in Sabotage or whatever - but they're just miserable to fight against. I played four matches in a row versus SVER this morning and... it was possibly the least fun experience I've ever had in a FPS. Now, I'm not crying - hell, I'm giving props where it's deserved - but I don't see people sticking with this if that level of sheer domination continues.

Obviously, people will say, "Well, you should play with Raven GAF - it's so much better!"... but I never see anyone on, so I can only assume we play at dramatically different times. Which sort of kills the point.

And yeah, I got my mic working. Mostly used it to tell a guy that loud rap music doesn't really help with communication in a match. Then he yelled and screamed and cussed because SVER guys were killing him with pistols. I laughed, then died a lot. [Not to pistols, thankfully, but yeah.]

At any rate: Props to the SVER folks, and please everyone don't play loud rap music while you're using a mic. It's just stupid.

For some reason I think this game will have legs though. The people that like it are pretty diehard and I don't see it going anyway anytime soon. If it starts to decline in about 8-10 months that is fine since I try to move on past games in that kind of time frame anyway. I was going to jump on and play early tomorrow before work(5:30am) if you can lets play together.

Also I managed to have 2 excellent games where we destroyed SVER and the key both times was the guys I was playing with were using far better team tactic and abilities. It seemed everyone had resuscitation and using smoke and gas grenades helped significantly with pushing SVER to the fences. They made sure that any weak entry points were defended with a constant supply of gas grenades and anti-personal mines and there weren't like 15 people sniping back at our base. I think as more people get the game down the games should naturally get more balanced...At least I hope they do.

ZZMitch

Is the beta just limited to the IGN tourney now?

I wanted to play one more time before release but I can't get in now... some launcher error or something...

Biff

Just to let all Canadians know: EB Games/Gamespot is having a 50% trade-in bonus for MAG preorders with any PS3 games over $8 in TIV. Good chance to get rid of a couple of 2009's heavy hitters that I don't intend to replay but still have held high TIVs.

Now I'm day one-ing it ;)

TheFatOne

Anerythristic said:
@TheFatOne

Sweet yea there are not a lot of people in Valor right now so I could use some help recruiting people.

KilgoreTrout said:
Just came in here to say Valor is for pussies.

KilgoreTrout said:
I heard Valor likes to suck on moldy twinkies.

You should pick MAG up Kilgore. Valor could use a crappy player like you to make the rest of us look good.

Cagen said:
:lol The last thing Lyulf needs is power, his ego will encompass the world.

Mwhahahahah

Violater said:
All this SVER hate makes me wanna roll Valor

Currently accepting recruits. For all new recruits please visit the sign up area in order to join
Valor because we are the best
one of the three factions. All new recruits need to sign up here.

ZZMitch

TheFatOne said:
Sweet yea there are not a lot of people in Valor right now so I could use some help recruiting people.

not a lot of people = you, me and him.

ChefRamsay said:
Just to let all Canadians know: EB Games/Gamespot is having a 50% trade-in bonus for MAG preorders with any PS3 games over $8 in TIV. Good chance to get rid of a couple of 2009's heavy hitters that I don't intend to replay but still have held high TIVs.

Now I'm day one-ing it ;)

Damn, is this coming to the US too? I am going to trade in MW2 for PS3 when I go to buy MAG...

Violater said:
All this SVER hate makes me wanna roll Valor

I am not worried about the hate. I simply see bad things in that PMCs future. If the retail release is out and players are still having difficulty with them to the point that they are very vocal about it I am worried Zipper is going to try to nerf them via a patch.

ZZMitch

Anerythristic said:
Naw, honestly, I have a list of like 12 or 13 GAFFERS that were in ValorGAF during the open beta. Most of them are on my friends list.

Alright, good stuff, only 5 more till we reach the level that the other PMCs have now! :D

mr stroke

careful said:
Didn't follow the beta thread, but how is the performance in the larger games? Does framerate take a hit in the 256p games? How about gameplay? Is it a total clusterfuck?

curious about the 256 matches as well. Lots of lag?

either way, Ill be in as soon as Amazon drops it off, Zipper is always ace.
cant wait

Violater

I find it curious why people did not just play the open beta for themselves.
Then all the questions about frame rate and lag attributed to your connection would be answered.

As for SVER maps, zipper needs to acknowledge there is a problem first. By the looks of it, it's not going to happen. I am not sure how easily something as adjusting the maps can be done via a patch. People might not be happy downloading some 1Gb + patches.

Good OP!

Join the fun, casual & hardcore alike! Remember while you have no auto-aim, neither does the guy you're shooting at.

For those wondering which PMC to join, while SVER has a perception of being 'rigged' they also consistently had far fewer players in the beta I was apart of.

I'll go SVER just because the PKM was so badass maxed out.

Nizz

Great OP, J-Rzez. Love the "Not So Much Auto-Aim" part! :lol Can't afford the game now but hopefully the community is strong months from now.

J-Rzez

CryptiK said:
I so wanted this game but then I heard there was a nasty surprise coming with it DO NOT WANT

So what is this nasty surprise? You can't just post something like that and bail, otherwise it seems just like a troll.

R2D4 said:
How are the controls in this game? Like MW2/COD4 (perfect) or Killzone 2 (worst ever) ?

It feels like the old SOCOMs, updated and in FPS form. Some people say it feels like CS, some BF2. Between the two you mentioned, it's more-so CoD than KZ2.

Ploid 3.0 said:
For the open beta I was Valor all the way, and for the tournament I started as Valor, but saw my error and picked SVER. Haven't looked back since. It's all wins with a random loss. Not sure how well SVER hold up in Domination, and such but so far they are pimps.

Defected

This is what I am talking about it. Ploid was an excellent Valor player. I remeber playing and winning with him. This map thing is really striking me as bush league.

Hey Ploid, we know how to organize and take the SVER maps. We are coming for you traitorous swine. :lol Your on my list all day long. :lol

TheFallen

PedroLumpy said:
For those wondering which PMC to join, while SVER has a perception of being 'rigged' they also consistently had far fewer players in the beta I was apart of.
During the Open Beta, SVER started to get more players. Now in the IGN tourney they have double what Raven has and quite a bit more than Valor. It's pretty clear that SVER has an advantage. There are meters that reflect wins on the map screen, with SVER way ahead.

Violater said:
As for SVER maps, zipper needs to acknowledge there is a problem first. By the looks of it, it's not going to happen. I am not sure how easily something as adjusting the maps can be done via a patch. People might not be happy downloading some 1Gb + patches.
Yea, it's an odd situation. They have not spoken much in regards to the issue, yet if you look back at some of the videos like the giant bomb interview linked above they mention they will be adjusting the maps for balance. Perhaps they've abandoned that plan. Who knows.

Kowak

Banned
Anerythristic said:
This is what I am talking about it. Ploid was an excellent Valor player. I remeber playinf and winning with him. This map thing is really striking me as bush league.

Hey Ploid, we know how to organize and take the SVER maps. We are coming for you traitorous swine. :lol Your on my list all day long. :lol

leave the guy alone, he obviously has no sense as he was a member of Valor and then decided to go to SVER, hopefully he will finally realise his terrible mistakes and Join Raven GAF.

Kowak

Banned
TheFallen said:
During the Open Beta, SVER started to get more players. Now in the IGN tourney they have double what Raven has and quite a bit more than Valor. It's pretty clear that SVER has an advantage. There are meters that reflect wins on the map screen, with SVER way ahead.

Thats because Europe are not playing and when we do we will flock to Raven and start tearing it up again.

jorma

is now taking requests
Violater said:
:lol
I'll roll SVER man, just wished people didn't have this map business to use as an excuse for sucking so hard.

Oh the whingeing from SVER-gaf when you get nerfed will be epic. Epic i tell you! :)

Kowak said:
Thats because Europe are not playing and when we do we will flock to Raven and start tearing it up again.

Retail version of this will see the majority of US players from Virginia west to Arizona and Nevada roll VALOR. I understand exactly what you are saying.

Top Bottom