• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, surprised at some of the meh reactions. Based on my initial impressions of the spoiled set I think I'm going to like this better then Innistrad

Hex

Banned
Shuffling your graveyard into your library is pretty huge, especially if you're fighting a mill deck.

Plus it is for every card in your GY, not creature or enchantment or whatever...any card.
Late game it is a reset for the white player.
If the other player can not counter spell it, than they are fucked.

f0rk

Hm, surprised at some of the meh reactions. Based on my initial impressions of the spoiled set I think I'm going to like this better then Innistrad

Yeah as the 1st booster in drafting for the next few months I think it will be great.

Plus it is for every card in your GY, not creature or enchantment or whatever...any card.
Late game it is a reset for the white player.
If the other player can not counter spell it, than they are fucked.

By the time you are playing this card there will be sooo much chaff in your graveyard that make for awful top decks, it's not that good.

Hex

Banned

Get used to it.
Every set that has ever hit in my experience gets the same canned responses.
It is much like the video game side of things.
It seems to be the cool thing to meh new sets until some random pro makes a deck on the internet and tells them that a card is good.
I have always thought it was asinine.

Hex

Banned
Yeah as the 1st booster in drafting for the next few months I think it will be great.

By the time you are playing this card there will be sooo much chaff in your graveyard that make for awful top decks, it's not that good.

Not saying that it is good, just saying why it is mythic.
Getting 30 life back in one swoop destroys aggro decks.
Aggro decks rely on crushing the opponent before they can get grounded.
Once they shoot their load they have nothing left.
And to be honest, you really should not have that much chaff in your gy unless you suck at deck building.
When you use this card you will already have land in play so your deck will be thinned and you will have much higher chance of pulling things to help you stabilize.

Hex

Banned

Yeah that is crazy.
It used to be amazing when they had the larger pre-release structure here in FL they used to have the events at the Disney Wide World of Sports complex and there would always be five or six different artists there.
Garfield was at a couple of them also.
Some artists will sign if you send cards to them but alot of the old school artists are on different roads these days.

The Technomancer

One of the pre-releases here in Minneapolis is surpisingly large. We usually get an artist or two as well as a Wizards staff member. Friend of mine played against Aaron Forsythe at the Worldwake release

Orayn

I missed Innistrad, but did you wind up going to The Source for that one? If so, how many people showed up, and what was the format?

Takuan

Wow I hadn't seen this, lords that give shroud/hexproof are pretty busted.
All of the lords are nice and I'm very surprised to see them at uncommon, but the spirit lord strikes me as being particularly ridiculous. This set generally appears to have a good amount of power in commons and uncommons, which I actually like as a player because drafting will allow me to secure playsets of the cards I want. As a collector, however, I question how well the set will move based on the fact that the only "money" in this set is Sorin, whose near-term value will very much depend on whether BW is a deck (people say it is, but I haven't followed standard since late October so I don't know how Standard has shifted and will shift).

I say this every set release, but I definitely won't buy any packs of DKA outside of what I draft, though I will draft an awful lot because I love its impact on limited. I'll probably buy Avacyn Restored, however, since that's a pretty big set.

rCIZZLE

All of the lords are nice and I'm very surprised to see them at uncommon, but the spirit lord strikes me as being particularly ridiculous. This set generally appears to have a good amount of power in commons and uncommons, which I actually like as a player because drafting will allow me to secure playsets of the cards I want. As a collector, however, I question how well the set will move based on the fact that the only "money" in this set is Sorin, whose near-term value will very much depend on whether BW is a deck (people say it is, but I haven't followed standard since late October so I don't know how Standard has shifted and will shift).

I say this every set release, but I definitely won't buy any packs of DKA outside of what I draft, though I will draft an awful lot because I love its impact on limited. I'll probably buy Avacyn Restored, however, since that's a pretty big set.

Almost my feelings exactly. The return on buying packs is going to be the lowest in standard. Good thing I only draft and play edh.

Takuan

Almost my feelings exactly. The return on buying packs is going to be the lowest in standard. Good thing I only draft and play edh.
Take note that I'm not a seriously competitive player and really can't be relied upon to evaluate cards on that level. I imagine there are sleepers that could make packs worth opening. Any of the mythics that aren't the white sorcery card, Beguiler of Wills, Blade, and Moony Dragon could rise in value, particularly the Huntmaster who I see jumping to $20 or $25 pretty quickly and holding in that vicinity if RG wolves consistently top 8's.

There's probably money in the rares, but my guess is as good as anyone's as far as what may or may not be worth something. I went and pre-ordered 3 playsets of Hellrider @0.99, because he has real potential to be played, and also a playset of the UW lord at the same price because I wanted it in a bad way. Came out to about $21 Canadian after shipping, and that'll be all for DKA pre-orders. I can see the Hellrider being used as a finisher in some hypothetical RW deck involving tokens and shit, maybe, and people will definitely be experimenting with him in RDW. At any rate, it's a very low-risk, low-cost gamble that could potentially pay off handsomely.

daevv

Our 6 man MTG group is trying something different this set. Were each buying a Fat Pack and having a double round robin tourney and playoffs using the best deck we can make from only the cards in our Fat Pack.

f0rk

Our 6 man MTG group is trying something different this set. Were each buying a Fat Pack and having a double round robin tourney and playoffs using the best deck we can make from only the cards in our Fat Pack.

DA is a small set and the official sealed format is 3x Inn + 3x DA so it would probably make more sense if two people got Innistrad fat packs instead and play with proper sealed pools and spilt the remaining packs equally.

ultron87

Just played a bunch of casual matches with my friend.

For the last set he switched to his old ass control deck filled with such delights as Puppet Strings, Arcum's Whistle, Dominating Licid, and other tapping creature and/or controlling nonsense.

Even though I eventually won the best of 3 with my assortment of 2012 and Innistrad cards thanks to some clutch Oblivion Rings, Naturalizes, and Village Bell Ringers, and some crappy draws from him, I pretty much wanted to strangle him.

daevv

Hoping for some Drogskol Captains and Reavers for my spirit deck!! Great uncommon!

I got a surprise win out of my Hecatomb, Kobolds, and Death Pits of Wrath deck last night in a MP game! :)

Rokam

Local card shop closed down a week or two ago :(. There's a comic shop but the pre release is mid afternoon and coincides with some other event they're having. It was already packed before on event days. Sigh.

ultron87

Hmm, I need to figure out which places around here are doing pre-releases and at what times. The place I went for the Innistrad one closed (and kind of sucked anyway).

y2dvd

I also wish to pull the W/U lord/rare spirits. Will be attending the prerelease tonight. I never do well at these tournys but I love trying them.

What's crazy is all of my mtg friends are getting their own box. One even already ordered a case. Some card owner is in love with one of my girlfriends and is pretty much selling her a box this midnight which I think is breaking street date. She was able to buy 1 of the Garruk Innistrad PW and was hooked up with another one and 4 Mayor of Avabruk for free.

f0rk

Going to a midnight release tonight but might drop early so I can get up for the 10:30 one. Looking forward to it, I think my choice of standard deck will depend on what I pull.

Some card owner is in love with one of my girlfriends and is pretty much selling her a box this midnight which I think is breaking street date. She was able to buy 1 of the Garruk Innistrad PW and was hooked up with another one and 4 Mayor of Avabruk for free.

I think the guy could lose all his access to officially sanctioned Wizards events if they found out.

Going to a midnight release tonight but might drop early so I can get up for the 10:30 one. Looking forward to it, I think my choice of standard deck will depend on what I pull.

I think the guy could lose all his access to officially sanctioned Wizards events if they found out.

That would definitely be what happened.

y2dvd

The power of a cute girl. I don't think he'll be dumb enough to sell it to her...I hope.

I haven't really done research on any decks and will just wing it. Have yall got decks in mind already?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The power of a cute girl. I don't think he'll be dumb enough to sell it to her...I hope.

I haven't really done research on any decks and will just wing it. Have yall got decks in mind already?

gonna troll friends with erayo/curse of exhaustion. >_>

f0rk

Lost my first game at the midnight prerelease and then got a bye so I dropped as my pool was awful aside from Snapcaster with no real targets and I wanted to get to the 10:30am one. Still that card made it worthwhile.

I'd decided my future standard deck would depend on what rares I pull this weekend (was spilt between B/W Tokens, Zombies and RUG). Got a Gravecrawler today so looked like Zombies. Went 3-2 with an average deck and lost against respectable people so quite happy. Got 2 prize packs and pulled Sorin AND Huntmaster in the second. So that hasn't helped my Standard decision at all lol.

y2dvd

Went 4-0-1 last night. The Draw was disappointing and I'll get to that in a bit (in Match 4).

U/W Control - Had a little bit of humans, spirits and zombies.
Mainboard
1xDragskol Captain
1xSkaab Ruinator
1xButcher's Cleaver
1xAvacyn's Collar
1xCurse of Echoes
1xDivination
1xStormbound Geist
1xSilent Departure
1xThink Twice
1xFrightful Delusion
1xCuriosity
1xBone to Ash
1xAvacynian Priest
1x Feeling of the Dread
1xNiblis of the Urn
1xDoomed Traveler
1xGallours Warden
1xLingering Soul
1xMidnight Guard
1xElder Guard
1xLoyal Cather
1xThraben Sentry
1xTorch Fiend

8xIsland
8xPlains
1xMountain

Sideboard
1xParaselene
1xUndead Alchemist
1xRelentless Skaabs
1xScreeding Skaab
2xArtful Dodge

Match 1
2-0 vs Vamp Deck
Drew Torch Fiend in opening hand and decided to keep due to the other cards. Huge mistake to splash without a fetchland card, and even then I should've sideboarded it and not mainboard. Switched it out for Relentless Skaab from here on out.

Match 2
2-0 vs U/B Control
Both of us being control, games took forever to finish. Had me all the way down to 5 life and he had 26 life. Was able to eventually clear his board and come back with Thraben Sentry equiped with Butcher's Cleaver. 5 dmg + Lifelink each turn for the comeback win!

Match 3
2-1 U/B/W
Round 1. Steamrolled. T1-Doomed Traverler, T2-Niblis of the Urn, T3-Lingering Souls, T4-Countered his Forbidden Alchemy with Frightful Delusion. Frightful Delusion may seem 'meh' but man did it help throughout the night! T5-Drogskol Captain.
Round 2. He was able to pull off his combos and had a lot of synergy. Dude pulled a Sorin! He was able to pump humans and had that card that lets you sac a human and pay some mana and tap to kill any creature. That move destroyed me late game.
Round 3. Pretty much went like Round 1.

Match 4
1-1-1 U/R, R/U/G
Round 1. Won in the same fashion as the previous Round.
Round 2. He switches out his ENTIRE deck. First off, he takes awhile to decide what to sideboard. Then he unsleeves his entire deck, takes his time on what to play, runs and grab more lands from the land box, and resleeves everything up. He takes forever making moves in when he was in the lead and eventually took the round.
Round 3. My turn to sideboard. I only sideboard 4 cards, but this fucker had the audacity to try and rush me and was bitching to his friend about how long I'm taking to sideboard. I took less than half the time he did. Unfortunately, Turns were called before we even started the round. I played with this douche before and I think he stalled on purpose so as to not lose to me. Sorry for the rant. I actually wrote way more about this guy than what I actually typed out lol.

Match 5
2-1 W/U/B
Similar decks. He had Moorland Haunts and zombie creatures that required creatures to be in the graveyard. Game two, he had a bunch of flying first strikers so my spirits weren't evasive anymore. Game three, I sideboaded in Undead Alchemist and Artful Dodge. Dirty combo! I was making him mill all of his creature cards while pumping out zombies of my own all the while exiling them, thus giving him no ways to cast his zombies. I eventually had 13 2/2 token zombies out on the field. He was able to play Divine Reckoning, but it was too late, the dmg was done and I kept Undead Alchemist. I was able to mill him to death a turn or two later.

Key Cards
Avacyn's Collar - So much utility with humans. Forced them to deal with them which is what you want in order to get that spirit token. Combined with Butcher's Cleaver, I was able to make opponents decide to block a human with their strong creature.
Spirits - They were just too evasive and plentiful for most decks I played against to deal with.

Lame Cards
Curse of Echoes - Just cost too much and it never took into affect.
Archangel Light's - I should rather say, it didn't go well with my deck. I found myself wanting to play it, only to realized I exiled all of my creatures from the graveyard to play my Skaab Ruinator lol.

Felt like if I didn't get that Draw, I could've took the entire tourny. Oh wells. Felt kinda proud I did well versus these guys, especially since I stayed away from articles and wanted to brainstorm my deck myself. Got 11 packs so yay! :D

The Technomancer

The more I look over the visual spoiler the more I'm really excited for the pre-release tomorrow. I think I really really like the set

Given my history with this block I fully expect to get a Mikeus the Lunarch in my sealed pool.

ultron87

Went 2-2. Built a GW deck with a splash of black for removal.

All Star cards were the Garruk out of my first Innistrad pack and a Mayor of Avabruck to pump the other wolves I got.

An-Det

I had a good time at the daytime prerelease at my lgs. My pool was pretty meh. It had some decent creatures and a good amount of burn, but wasn't anything amazing. I went 4-2. My first loss was close and could have gone either way, but my second was the last round and he demolished me. I made out with 6 packs for 6th place. Plus I bought some girl scout cookies while there, and some of the regulars made cookies and cake for people to have, so I snagged some to bring home. Good times.

I went to two different pre-releases yesterday with my friends, for a total of pretty much 11 hours of Magic. By the end of it my head was pounding a bit, haha. Anyways, first place was Sealed and I came in 8th out of 36 people, got two additional prize packs for it. Second place we did draft and I ended up coming in 4th, so that was pretty sweet. Opened a Sorin in my sealed pool, went B/W tokens with a splash of blue for the spirit lord. The draft I also went B/W tokens and splashed in red for Mondronan Shaman werewolf chick. This was the first time I've done a sealed/draft that wasn't just a big set and had another set mixed in, it was pretty fun.

The Technomancer

Damn, went 1-2 today, which sucks because I thought we had a pretty strong pool. I was running a W/B human tokens thing that made use of my ability to sacrifice stuff at less of a loss, and my partner had R/G aggro with both a Vorapede and an Essence of the Wild

First game they dropped a Sorin on turn four but we managed to keep steady pressure up until we killed him later, and then slowly killed them with my fliers.

Second game one of them was R/B with a ton of removal and they just wrecked our board.

Third game was pretty evenly matched until the end. We had an Ulvenwald Bear with five counters (Morbid + Hunger of the Howlpack) with Executioners Hood, and could have wrapped the game up in a few turns except they hit it with Bonds of Faith. Then next turn we dropped Vorapede and used it to block and take out one of their big guys (with the Vorapede returning with Undying), but before we could attach the Hood and start swinging they hit it again with Tragic Slip. After that we had basically nothing. But it was so frustrating because I had a Death's Caress and my partner had a Fling and neither of us had the right colored mana to play either. If we had we might have turned things around.

Ah well.

The Technomancer

Oh, also, they were running tournaments for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh today. Since there weren't that many Magic players on Sunday anyway it was about twenty of us guys in our twenties huddling in the middle of a mass of middle-school kids.

I've never done a sealed booster draft thing before. I'm assuming you get to keep the cards you draft?

Yep. In the case of booster drafting, it's kind of weird because you want to be drafting the best cards so you can win.

Then comes along a mythic that is completely useless to you (i.e. a Black mythic when you've been pulling out red/green for your deck). You take it because it's worth a lot but it only hinders your chances in the tournament.

Anyway, it's still good fun.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yep. In the case of booster drafting, it's kind of weird because you want to be drafting the best cards so you can win.

Then comes along a mythic that is completely useless to you (i.e. a Black mythic when you've been pulling out red/green for your deck). You take it because it's worth a lot but it only hinders your chances in the tournament.

Anyway, it's still good fun.

That's what I was thinking. I'd be fighting the urge to take cards that buff up my existing decks as opposed to trying to build the best deck possible to win the tourney.

y2dvd

That's always the interesting part about drafting. Do I give up this card I want for something I need to win the draft and get even more packs? Normally, when I want something, I'll just grab it because I never expect to win packs. I've done well my last to outings though so now I try to get what I need for the chance to win more packs.

I was testing a spirits deck last night and so far it's slightly underwhelming. It needs a stronger 2 mana cost card. Make a 2/2 or a 2/1 even. I'm avoiding blue spirits (besides GoST & Dragskol Captain) so I can pump the white ones with Honor of the Pure. Midnight Haunting and Lingering Souls is a must. Running a splash of black just so I can flashback LS. Also ran Intangible Virtues since I can pump out tokens but I'm thinking of replacing it with more control.

OnPoint

Attended a prerelease draft yesterday, ended up pulling a Havengul Lich and nothing else of note.

Built a blue-black zombie/mill deck and won the first round. Lost to a hyper-aggro black/white/green deck in round 2 and went to the wire with an aggro white/black deck in round 3. He pulled it out at the end of game 3.

I have a feeling the Lich will drop so I traded it for a Darkslick Shores.

Also, I feel like some people were trading cards before they built their decks. Is this allowed, or does it just depend on the event and whose running it? There's no way some of these people opened six packs to such flawless synergy.

The Technomancer

Also, I feel like some people were trading cards before they built their decks. Is this allowed, or does it just depend on the event and whose running it? There's no way some of these people opened six packs to such flawless synergy.

Definitely not allowed, although without explicitly seeing them do it there's not much you can do.

Hex

Banned
Went to three pre-release events this weekend.
Friday night at midnight was just an odd night, a few too many drunk people but a huge turn out for a store. Somehow a Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody sing along broke out when it came on the speakers.

Hit 3rd at FNM

Then went 3 and 2 with a red green concoction, got stupid at the end and switched out to a white/black second deck I made and it just did not get there and I should have stayed with red/green.

Saturday afternoon was an even bigger turn out, I took first with red/white with two islands for the Reaver.

Sunday night we split the top 4 instead of playing it out because we wanted to hit the bar.

All and all, a fun set to play with and alot of fun for limited.
Looking forward to picking up my boxes friday and league starting next week.

Orayn

Went 1-3 at the Innistrad prerelease... My pool just wasn't working. I didn't have enough of anything to support a major limited archetype, so I had to settle for a half-assed W/U skies deck. I did have Drogskol Reaver and Requiem Angel, but they didn't really make up for it.

Hex

Banned
Attended a prerelease draft yesterday, ended up pulling a Havengul Lich and nothing else of note.

Built a blue-black zombie/mill deck and won the first round. Lost to a hyper-aggro black/white/green deck in round 2 and went to the wire with an aggro white/black deck in round 3. He pulled it out at the end of game 3.

Definitely not allowed, though I saw a couple decks that came out almost like a constructed deck they flowed so well.

My friend yesterday ended up with a white/blue spirit gimmick that had multiples of many of the better commons, had the captain had the angel, great synergy.

Even mine on Friday came out very constructed..

Red/green w Kessig Wolf Run, Immerwulf, 2 of the one drop undying wolves, plenty of red and green wolves and werewolves, the flash wolf, even the green enchantment to sac a creature at the beginning of your end phase to make wolf tokens (and two Strangleroot Geists for good measure)

y2dvd

Trading cards can get them banned. That bites if they were getting away with it. I felt like the guy that stalled me to a draw did it on purpose so I wouldn't have the chance to beat him.

OnPoint

Trading cards can get them banned. That bites if they were getting away with it. I felt like the guy that stalled me to a draw did it on purpose so I wouldn't have the chance to beat him.

That sucks. There should be some kind of safeguard to prevent this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom