• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D 240p vs 4K (emulator) video comparison

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I cant really see that much difference 🤔
Well ofc when he zooms in like crazy.
I never got annoyed by the resolution in zelda majora's mask on my 3ds.

Monsterhunter 4 however.. damnn

Yarbskoo

It's really strange to me how much effort they put into these textures considering the hardware would just murder them. No I don't think the 3DS is trash, but this level of detail is so far beyond what was needed that it's kind of puzzling.
Up close, low res textures look just as bad on a low res screen. It's when you see things at a distance that higher resolutions have the most benefit for texture quality.

Of course, some anisotropic filtering doesn't hurt either.

You'd take 240p 3D over 4K?

giphy.gif

That is silly, but I'd take 240p/60 over 4K/30 without hesitation.

giphy.gif

It's only a matter of time.

didnt even get the esrb rating right smh

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
For all those asking why the 3DS version has high res textures if the game is so low res, you're forgetting how video games work.

Higher resolution allows for better clarity overall, but due to it being a video game, the camera is not fixed. I can still see the detail in texture work at lower resolution, it just means you have to walk or move the camera/character closer to see the detail.

It's not useless to have high res textures in lower res games. It still makes old games great, but yes, it also means that when the game is higher res, it breaths new life into it. That's why I love the fact that my Steam library feels so fresh again after all games got upgraded to 4K via GPU upgrades.

Vespa

Wow, it sort of reminds me of the look of a Dreamcast game. I would buy a 'simple' HD port of this in an instant.

Eh. Some people swear by their 3DS. It was only with cheap systems and the 2DS that the system took off. Though the XL was also relatively popular. People forget how terrible the 3DS launch was now or how much of a sale disappointment the system still is outside Japan.

Phones at the time largely had dual core CPUs iPhone 4 and 4S both did and were out at that time.
The Vita came only 9 months later and was at least a generation ahead of the 3DS for the same price the 3DS launched at.

iPhone 4 was a single core design.

Why would you compare it at announcement date rather than release date?

At the time of its release, 3DS was very much outdated on both the CPU front (overall) and the GPU front (at least in terms of featureset and architecture).

Well, because it's when it was first existing in the eyes of the public. 3DS happened right before the ARM boom and the fast progress we saw in that industry. Even at the time of its release, Cortex A8 barely made it into midtier phones. Cortex A9 was about to happen in flagship phones like iPhone 4s and Galaxy S2, in dual core variant.

Theonik

iPhone 4 was a single core design.
Yes I realised this. But the iPhone 4 was out by the time the 3DS was revealed. And a much more capable device anyway with its 1GHz clock speed. The iPhone 4S is the actual mobile competitor to the 3DS and that was also much more capable than the 3DS with a much more modern GPU architecture in particular.

The remaining of my point still stands as well. Phones have different needs to a dedicated handheld and the PSVita released just months later at the same price with capabilities at least a generation ahead of what the 3DS was capable of.

Top Bottom