• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D 240p vs 4K (emulator) video comparison

Vkqbbdo.jpg

I said damn. All that texturework. Destroyed on the 3DS.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just make textures half the resolution. So much of that work and memory footprint is just gone to waste.

I can't tell if I'm impressed that they made such gorgeous assets, or frustrated that they put so much work into something meant to be seen on such a lousy display.

aravuus

Goddamn I want to play this on citra but my 3DS' FW is way too new for dumping and downgrading seems like a ton of work

Start porting those older 3DS games to Switch already

Yet another proof that nintedo's games should be played on PC and not on their original shitty hardware. Thank goodness for emulators. Hopefully one for the switch will come soon.

no, there's not. UI elements at most. the old argument that resolution obfuscates poor detail doesn't really apply to most consoles beyond the N64/PS1/DS. The vast majority of modern 3D games look better at a higher resolution.
And a lot of the NPCs here are basically untouched from their N64 counterparts. Geometry is improved but not majorly so. A lot of these are tolerable precisely because it's on a 240p display. If Nintendo was making this game for a HD display these elements would probably have been touched upon significantly.

Kurt

Create about the size as the 3ds screen and i do not notice huge differences between them:
cF0a36y.jpg

I really start to think that they should put their effort in creating better gfx instead of displaying it at 1080p with switch games... Also this confirms again that 720p is more than enough for handheld mode.

Shin-Ra

Are you referring to the video when the guy says the game runs at 10fps at 240p sometimes? That wording was (likely unintentionally) misleading, in my opinion. I think all of this footage was captured in the emulator. I don't think the 3DS version had any of the framerate issues he was talking about. At least, I don't remember the game having issues when I played.
I didn't get very far into the game but early on looking across Termina Field, the game had sustained periods of choppiness.

Remind me of that DS Idolm@ster game that also had crazy models.

TW6tsAK.jpg

QAW96t4.jpg

It is amazing that the DS game looks like literal pixel art compared to the HD emulated version. Take a look art Metroid Prime Hunters on the Nintendo DS in HD:

lojeOia.jpg

It almost looks like a PC FPS from 2002. The textures are impressive for a DS game.

But all that aside, yeah I bet a lot of 3DS titles look really good in 4K.

And a lot of the NPCs here are basically untouched from their N64 counterparts. Geometry is improved but not majorly so. A lot of these are tolerable precisely because it's on a 240p display. If Nintendo was making this game for a HD display these elements would probably have been touched upon significantly.

my point is that there's not a single thing in Majora's Mask 3D besides its UI that looks better at 240p than it would at 1080p.

my point is that there's not a single thing in Majora's Mask 3D besides its UI that looks better at 240p than it would at 1080p.
Your opinion. The low poly models stick out far more in 1080p than in 240p. The crisp textures gain in the extra clarity but then the not so good stuff are also that much clearer. Personally, nothing in this video made me eager to want to play this in 1080p.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get very far into the game but early on looking across Termina Field, the game had sustained periods of choppiness.

Huh, I don't recall this. My mistake. That said, I'm still guessing the performance the guy in the video is talking about is from the emulator, since his comment that it would make more sense for the drops to happen at 4K than at 240p would only make sense if comparing two captures from the same hardware.

KHlover

Banned
It is amazing that the DS game looks like literal pixel art compared to the HD emulated version. Take a look art Metroid Prime Hunters on the Nintendo DS in HD:

lojeOia.jpg

It almost looks like a PC FPS from 2002. The textures are impressive for a DS game.

But all that aside, yeah I bet a lot of 3DS titles look really good in 4K.

Let's not get carried away here, 2003 had Doom 3 iirc which is a Far Cry (2004, huehuheuhe) from Prime Hunters in HD. Prime Hunters in HD looks more like an FPS from the late 1990s.

-shadow-

Were you playing in 2D or 3D? I remember 3D being a bit iffy whenever particle effects came on screen. Always felt like they were going to optimise it for the New 3DS but forgot to put the flag up for the game to use the extra power.

watershed

Banned
Yeah it would be cool if Nintendo had someone working on a Hero of Time collection for the Switch. Give both games the remaster treatment, it would be a cool package to come out after BOTW, maybe some time next year or so.

Majine

Banned
I'll say this about the Wii U, it's the first Nintendo console since maybe the SNES where the resolution finally matches the ambition set by their art. Everything in between has been to crummy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shit, Nintendo should just out a new "collectors edition" that has these versions of OOT and MM and throw in those remakes of Wind Walker and Twilight. Toss in a Skyward Sword remake and you've got yourself one hell of a fuckin' Zelda collection.

Yeah, they're going to go from selling four separate version to including them all in one pack with an additional game.

Let's not get carried away here, 2003 had Doom 3 iirc which is a Far Cry (2004, huehuheuhe) from Prime Hunters in HD. Prime Hunters in HD looks more like an FPS from the late 1990s.

Maybe 2002 is pushing it... more like 1999- 2001. Metroid Prime Hunters has textures that are much higher resolution than games like Half-Life 1 or Quake 2. I guess it could be comparable to an Unreal Engine 1 game in some ways.

Doom 3, Far Cry and Half- Life 2 were all 2004. 2002 were No One Lives Forever 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Battlefield 1942. In 2002 not many PC games really supported features like Shader Model 1.1 and were more reliant on textures and light maps. the 2004 era PC games all mentioned above really started to use Shader Model 1.X and Shader Model 2 and those games were doing things with normal maps, dynamic lighting, material effects and such.

red731

11 seconds in and I've died and resurrected already.

Create about the size as the 3ds screen and i do not notice huge differences between them:
cF0a36y.jpg

I really start to think that they should put their effort in creating better gfx instead of displaying it at 1080p with switch games... Also this confirms again that 720p is more than enough for handheld mode.

But....the difference in clarity and the sharpness? There are huge differences between them.

Rootbeer

Banned
Astonishing what beauty is hiding in these games that the 3DS simply can't portray... man.

Makes me want to skip playing Monster Hunter Stories on my N3DSXL and just jump right to an emulator :( makes me sad that this would not just be a small improvement but a HUGE one, most likely.

pottuvoi

Banned
But....the difference in clarity and the sharpness? There are huge differences between them.
One thing that really stands out from the video is how crappy the texturing quality is on 3DS.
Although it also could be blamed on developers if they use negative mipmap bias or refuse to use mipmaps altogether.

Proper sampling/filtering would make games look a lot better, even on tiny screen and resolution.

Jackano

I'm not that tech guy but it's indeed impressive how it hold up.
Next remake will be Skyward Sword tho.

An OoT/MM/MQ collection deserve another full remake, not a HD port of the 3D remake.

I was disappointed when MM got announced for 3DS rather than it getting the full HD remake on Wii U that it deserved, but even more so now you can see how much of their effort was wasted on such an awful screen. Both the Wii and 3DS, it's a shame that Nintendo games are held back from looking their best by the resolution of the hardware they are on.

Peru

The 3DS was in my opinion perfect for its time in terms of performance and graphics ability.. the little machine that could, with modern effects available and a solid Wii-like foundation. The issue was the screen of course, which muddled some games unnecessarily. Having said that playing the thing it always looked better than the ugly screenshots.

It was a piece of shit the day it came out. Let's not fool ourselves.
There is a reason they had to drop its price to $170 less than a year in.

And how much is a 3DS XL today? 6 years later? The resolution was shit, but glasses free 3D was pretty novel at the time. It was a bad trade-off if you didn't like S3D, but for someone who loves it, I treasure the 3DS screen.

nOoblet16

The 3DS was extremely dated in terms of technology even when it came out. It's just that it's precursor i.e. the DS was dated when it came out as well that's why it felt like a jump.

Hesh

What emulator is that being run on? Unfortunately that video's description is nothing but literary diarrhea that still includes nothing about the emulator. :(

The 3DS was extremely dated in terms of technology even when it came out. It's just that it's precursor i.e. the DS was dated when it came out as well that's why it felt like a jump.

I don't think it's true at all.
When 3DS was announced, in 2010, iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S were the high end flagship phones announced around the same time. These featured single core, ARM Cortex A8 (the generation after ARM11) for the very first time in the phone industry. Heck, Samsung Galaxy S featured a 800*480 screen.
3DS was featuring a dual core ARM 11 design, as opposed to the midrange phones at the time, which featured single core designs. And 240p/320p were the resolution of midrange phones.

3DS at the time of announcement/release was in the hardware range between mid-range/high end phones.
At worse, it was a midrange phone but with technologies of its time. But extremly outdated ? Nah.

Theonik

And how much is a 3DS XL today? 6 years later? The resolution was shit, but glasses free 3D was pretty novel at the time. It was a bad trade-off if you didn't like S3D, but for someone who loves it, I treasure the 3DS screen.
Eh. Some people swear by their 3DS. It was only with cheap systems and the 2DS that the system took off. Though the XL was also relatively popular. People forget how terrible the 3DS launch was now or how much of a sale disappointment the system still is outside Japan.

When 3DS was announced, in 2010, iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S were the high end flagship phones announced around the same time. These featured single core, ARM Cortex A8 (the generation after ARM11) for the very first time in the phone industry. Heck, Samsung Galaxy S featured a 800*480 screen.
3DS was featuring a dual core ARM 11 design, as opposed to the midrange phones at the time, which featured single core designs. And 240p/320p were the resolution of midrange phones.

3DS at the time of announcement/release was in the hardware range between mid-range/high end phones.
At worse, it was a midrange phone but with technologies of its time. But extremly outdated ? Nah.
Phones at the time largely had dual core CPUs iPhone 4 and 4S both did and were out at that time.
The Vita came only 9 months later and was at least a generation ahead of the 3DS for the same price the 3DS launched at.

I like how everyone realizes 3ds hardware was shit all of a sudden just because the switch dropped.
Youd get shot down so hard for ribbing on the bad display before the switch was released.

I realized the 3ds hardware was shit when the PS Vita dropped.

It's a shame Sony never supported their system well. Losing Monster Hunter was a huge mistake.

Durante

Why would you compare it at announcement date rather than release date?

At the time of its release, 3DS was very much outdated on both the CPU front (overall) and the GPU front (at least in terms of featureset and architecture).

cF0a36y.jpg

Ummmmmm... The image you took isn't hd (note the gear icon). You're at best looking at a 480p image to show your point which is either a mistake on your part, or an attempt to intentionally mislead to prove your point.

marmoka

Banned
This is impressive.

But wasn't Citra Emulator still very slow? I tested it in my laptop about one year ago, and it worked on 10fps, worse than CEMU by far.

Apparently Citra has improved really well.

rjc571

Banned
Ummmmmm... The image you took isn't hd (note the gear icon). You're at best looking at a 480p image to show your point which is either a mistake on your part, or an attempt to intentionally mislead to prove your point.

He's showing the image downscaled to 3DS resolution, why would it make a difference whether it was scaled down from 480p or 4K?

Top Bottom