• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D 240p vs 4K (emulator) video comparison

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I will be the idiot who will pay $200 for all 5 of the previous 3D Zelda remasters on Switch

What's the 5th? OoT, MM, WW, TP, and...? Or are you anticipating a SS remake? If so, I'd totally do the same...

I'm hoping for an OoT/MM collection for $50, a WW/TP collection for $50, and a SS remaster for $50. I think that would line up with Nintendo's past pricing.

If the 3DS has issues with framerate why use the higher res textures? They're pointless unless they future-proofed the game.

Are you referring to the video when the guy says the game runs at 10fps at 240p sometimes? That wording was (likely unintentionally) misleading, in my opinion. I think all of this footage was captured in the emulator. I don't think the 3DS version had any of the framerate issues he was talking about. At least, I don't remember the game having issues when I played.

I wonder if Nintendo would be willing to do straight ports of OoT3D and MM3D for Switch.
I'd buy a "Hero of Time" collection if they packaged them together.

DPB

Well, you could still see the textures fine on an actual 3ds screen. While IQ can be pretty bad with aliasing, it's not exactly as horrible as what blown up screens can look like on higher res monitors

Yeah, I don't think it's a very fair comparison. The game doesn't look anywhere near that bad on the 3DS' tiny screen.

What's the 5th? OoT, MM, WW, TP, and...? Or are you anticipating a SS remake? If so, I'd totally do the same...

Yep, even though Skyward Sword needs a lot of QoL touches and major changes to be the Zelda game I wish it was.

Start by getting rid of motion controls for everything but swordplay and aiming. Basic actions like swimming and playing the harp were made tedious because of unnecessary actions

RAWRferal

Up-rendering from such a low original native resolution like you see in many 3DS games is always gonna yield great results in terms of IQ, but this is really nice.

Strings

It's amazing how well some handheld titles hold up when emulated at high res. I really dug how Valkyria Chronicles 3 looked when I played it a few years ago like that. Same with DQ9 (played on an emulator so I could fast-forward), DQMJ2, etc.

Nerrel

It really is a gorgeous game; something about the OoT3D/MM3D art style feels like the definitive visual style for Zelda. It would be nice if they had drawn and retained everything in much higher resolutions for an HD version, but I wouldn't count on it. Nintendo always over delivers with their art and goes beyond what their hardware is capable of, to the pointing of wasting details on a system that won't be able to display them.

I just wish they hadn't fucked the gameplay up with all those stupid changes. As nice as this looks, it's still the N64 version + project64 for me.

Cerium

The 3D screen was such a mistake. The higher resolution makes a significant difference its insane.

Eh they needed something to differentiate themselves without resorting to Pure Powah. Maybe 3D wasn't the answer but if it wasn't this it would've been something else.

When it was announced the concept was lauded.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You'd take 240p 3D over 4K?

giphy.gif

The 3DS screen is still black magic as far as I'm concerned 3D visuals without glasses? That's insane.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Please produce a compelling argument for how the 3DS hardware and OS is not shitty, especially at its price point.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

The hardware is over six years old. And the 3DS OS is just fine but that seems like a random thing to talk about. And the 3DS price point hasn't been an issue for years.

It was certainly an underpowered system when it launched but a "fucking piece of shit" is hyperbolic nonsense.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'd gladly buy a $59.99 copy at 1080p @ 30 or 60fps on Switch. MM is in my Top Five of all time.

Alex

The 3DS screen is still black magic as far as I'm concerned 3D visuals without glasses? That's insane.

Awful 3D without and all you have to do is endure sub-PSP resolution on games that are trying to push more detailed geometry and textures, resulting in a sea of unidentifiable pixels.

mothball

The hardware is over six years old. And the 3DS OS is just fine but that seems like a random thing to talk about. And the 3DS price point hasn't been an issue for years.

It was certainly an underpowered system when it launched but a "fucking piece of shit" is hyperbolic nonsense.

The CPU was on par with the PSP, the resolution was worse, and it was an ergonomic eldritch nightmare. The GPU was the only reason it managed to eke out a handheld 7 years older.

The 3DS was a fucking piece of shit, and I've been beating that drum for 6 years.

You'd take 240p 3D over 4K?

Dude's been defense forcing the 3DS hard ever since the Switch came out and people have been understandably clamoring about wanting to play upcoming 3DS games on worthwhile hardware. Hell, this thread shows that people even want to play old 3DS games on it too, and I can't blame them.

I like how everyone realizes 3ds hardware was shit all of a sudden just because the switch dropped.
Youd get shot down so hard for ribbing on the bad display before the switch was released.

Mory Dunz

It's really strange to me how much effort they put into these textures considering the hardware would just murder them. No I don't think the 3DS is trash, but this level of detail is so far beyond what was needed that it's kind of puzzling.

yeah, the textures seem almost as good as TPHD. You're kinda like, "why?"

butman

How much art direction lost because of the shitty resolution that is 240p.
If the 3ds had a resolution of 480p, how beautiful it would have been.

I like how everyone realizes 3ds hardware was shit all of a sudden just because the switch dropped.
Youd get shot down so hard for ribbing on the bad display before the switch was released.
I think this thread is being a little hyperbolic. MM3D is much better looking on the actual display than it is blown up for a comparison like this. Though I certainly am happy to be on the Switch's hardware, I hesitate to call the 3DS's image quality 'shit'.

But maybe I just have a different definition of shit.

Vkqbbdo.jpg

I said damn. All that texturework. Destroyed on the 3DS.

The textures aren't destroyed by the 3DS. They were destroyed by stretching a 240p image into 1080p. When viewed on the native screen, it looks nowhere near as bad. Of course the emulated screen looks amazing, but the comparison isn't accurate.

border

Is it possible that Majora's Mask was originally intended as a Wii or WiiU game? I don't understand why they did all that incredibly detailed texture work for a platform that was going to be so relentlessly blurry. Does OOT 3DS look this good in 4K?

Pokemon Sun/Moon still looks pretty garbage in 4K. That's what I'd expect an up-rezzed version of a 3DS title to look like -- sharp, smooth edges and hideous low-rez textures.

rjc571

Banned
The 3D screen was such a mistake. The higher resolution makes a significant difference its insane.

Not really, the 3D adds a greater level of immersion than higher resolution. I've played through OoT and Majora in Project 64 at obscenely high resolutions with ungodly high detail texture packs, but playing them in 3D on the 3DS was a far more memorable experience for me.

Nintendo games often scale reeeeeeally well to higher resolutions. Their more detailed games often have far higher resolution textures than necessary, and their more cartoonish games have simple enough textures that work well at almost any resolution.

The Prime games look really good in HD on Dolphin.

ghibli99

Daaaang... that's an insane difference. I honestly don't notice the low resolution very much when playing on actual small 3DS screens, but seeing them 1:1 side-by-side on a big monitor really underscores the vast upgrade.

The textures aren't destroyed by the 3DS. They were destroyed by stretching a 240p image into 1080p. When viewed on the native screen, it looks nowhere near as bad. Of course the emulated screen looks amazing, but the comparison isn't accurate.
Exactly. The textures are crisp on a 3DS screen. It doesn't look anywhere near this bad and that comparison is disingenuous as hell. The 4K resolution is super crisp no doubt, but there's plenty of dated models and even textures elsewhere that will look super bad in this resolution compared to a 240p screen, and you'd also miss the depth effects which are great.

Not really, the 3D adds a greater level of immersion than higher resolution. I've played through OoT and Majora in Project 64 at obscenely high resolutions with ungodly high detail texture packs, but playing them in 3D on the 3DS was a far more memorable experience for me.
Agreed.

pottuvoi

Banned
Just checked the Sun/Moon one too.. Man, why are those textures so bad?
Seems like game uses nearest-neighbor filtering for textures. (single sample per pixel for texture.)
Some of the texturework has been cleverly designed to use the sudden change in color as an advantage, things like drawers have only few texels and still show clearly what they are supposed to be.

On characters textures with round or diagonal things the look gets muddled a bit and both low resolution is quite apparent, simple linear filtering would have been better. (Especially as they have great antialiasing in textures with proper gradients.)

All games on 3DS would look lot better if it could display textures properly with minimal aliasing.

but there's plenty of dated models and even textures elsewhere that will look super bad in this resolution compared to a 240p screen

no, there's not. UI elements at most. the old argument that resolution obfuscates poor detail doesn't really apply to most consoles beyond the N64/PS1/DS. The vast majority of modern 3D games look better at a higher resolution.

Top Bottom