• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Best case is a controlled water landing and they are floating in rafts waiting for rescue. I'm not terribly optimistic about that, though. Water landings on the open ocean are almost always catastrophic. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The 777 has not had a good year. This will be its worst ever accident, assuming the worst happens.

No one puts the blame of that San Fransisco crash anywhere near Boeing though. That was all pilot error. Not to mention the plane remained relatively intact upon landing and almost everyone survived.

I'd bring a high altitude parachute onto a plane if they'd let me.

Hate planes.

That would do nothing for you considering...

1. You can't open doors or windows during flight

2. You'd pass out well before you'd get that parachute open even if you did get out.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'd bring a high altitude parachute onto a plane if they'd let me.

Hate planes.
How are you going to get out of the plane. You wouldn't know that you needed to do something until too late most likely.

ZeroGravity

Do you tell yourself that to make yourself feel better? You're far more likely to die in a car than a plane, you're more likely to get into several car crashes then to die in a plane.
Cars are a practical necessity for modern life. It's very difficult to life your entire life without needing to use one. Planes, not so much.

How are you going to get out of the plane. You wouldn't know that you needed to do something until too late most likely.
The door, duh.

lol

Flying 30,000 feet in the air is un-natural to a lot of people so I don't know why people don't understand that many are still scared of flying no matter what statistics are thrown at them.

Konka

Banned
Cars are a practical necessity for modern life. It's very difficult to life your entire life without needing to use one. Planes, not so much.

Rubbish. You can do just fine without a car provided you don't live in the sticks. Even here in a small city like pittsburgh if I wanted to I could live no problem using just public transit.

And unless you never want to go anywhere else or take a boat Planes are necessary and extremely safe.

Best case is a controlled water landing and they are floating in rafts waiting for rescue. I'm not terribly optimistic about that, though. Water landings on the open ocean are almost always catastrophic. :(

That's terrifying. Wouldn't a water landing make more sense though? Unless they wound up in the mountains, wouldn't a populated area near Beijing notice a downed plane?

terrisus

Rubbish. You can do just fine without a car provided you don't live in the sticks. Even here in a small city like pittsburgh if I wanted to I could live no problem using just public transit.

And unless you never want to go anywhere else or take a boat Planes are necessary and extremely safe.

Plus, its necessity is basically just a strawman anyway.

The fact is that planes are far, far, far safer than cars.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I was going to make a comment about how fear of planes might stem from some sort of feeling of helplessness in a plane, putting your life in the hands of someone relatively unknown with no possible way to influence the outcome. But I got sidetracked by the ad that is currently showing, from Finnair, urging me to take a shortcut to Asia. :/

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Do you tell yourself that to make yourself feel better? You're far more likely to die in a car than a plane, you're more likely to get into several car crashes then to die in a plane.

If you are in a plane that crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

It's not the case with a car.

Point is, I would rather be in a car crash than a plane crash

WillyFive

That's the thing, not all places have public transit.

MThanded

As someone who lives in Pittsburgh and is from Maryland I think Pittsburghers don't realize how good their bus system is. Also, the majority of the country does not have good public transportation. You don't even have to live in the sticks to require a car.

A lot of cities even have city public transportation. If you happen to live in the suburbs your are probably SOL if you cant drive too. Doesn't have to be po dunk middle america.

TomServo

That's terrifying. Wouldn't a water landing make more sense though? Unless they wound up in the mountains, wouldn't a populated area near Beijing notice a downed plane?

Again, a widebody airplane will not survive a water landing attempt.

I'm not being morbid, just stating facts. I fly transoceanic flights multiple times a year, it's just something that I've come to terms with.

terrisus

If a plane crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

Here, run these figures:

100*.00000000001*20

versus

1*.0001*100000

See which gives you a better chance of death, a 100% chance of dying in a plane crash, or a 1% of dying in a car crash
(Added in rough estimates of times you might go on each vehicle as well)

Note: I pulled the figures out of thin air. Feel free to substitute the actual rates of plane crashes, car crashes, and mortality factors of each.

Konka

Banned
If a plane crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

Not it isn't hard to understand. Commercial airliners rarely crash. You do realize there are 50,000+ flights per day right? You're using mental gymnastics to somehow prove to yourself that cars are safe when in reality they are one of the most deadly things in the world.

True

If there is ANY sort of serious accident on a plane that causes it to crash you are most likely 100% dead.

Not the case in a car

We're talking DEATH risk not accident risk.

I'm pretty sure the odds of dying due to death are 100% across the board. I could be wrong, though,

Trouble

Banned
Yeah, the doors on a plane are inoperable at altitude. So I guess if the plane ripped open, sucked you out cleanly, and you didn't pass out, it might be useful.

I don't think the flight crew or other passengers would be too thrilled by someone wearing a parachute during the flight, lol.

Pandemic

New update from Malaysian Airlines:

Statement By Our Group Chief Executive Officer, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya on MH370 Incident. Released at 9.05am/8 Mar 2014 MY Local Time

We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts with flight MH370 which departed Kuala Lumpur at 12.41 am earlier this morning bound for Beijing.

The aircraft was scheduled to land at Beijing International Airport at 6.30am local Beijing time.

Subang Air Traffic Control reported that it lost contact at 2.40am (local Malaysia time) today.

Flight MH370 was operated on a Boeing B777-200 aircraft.

The flight was carrying a total number of 239 passengers and crew – comprising 227 passengers (including 2 infants), 12 crew members. The passengers were of 13 different nationalities.

Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft.

Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew.

Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members.

The airline will provide regular updates on the situation.

The public may contact +603 7884 1234. For media queries, kindly contact +603 8777 5698/ +603 8787 1276.

MThanded

If you are in a plane that crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

Point is, I would rather be in a car crash than a plane crash

Serious mental gymnastics going on here.

Yes the idea of dying in a plane is scary.

However, planes are much safer than cars.

The stat you should care about is how many people die in a car accident daily vs. plane accidents. The rate of death because of accident is a non-factor. Especially because a fender bender can be a car crash. You are abusing the fact that plane accidents are catastrophic.

Zaptruder

Banned
Guys, guys, guys. You don't understand! Planes are the devil, and you stand a 100% chance of losing your sole when you go above 30,000 feet. In cars, that's only like a 1% chance.

I'm not optimistic for this flight, but I hope that they've beaten the odds on this one somehow.

K.Sabot

Cars give the individual some semblance of control, which reduces fear even if the risk of death is higher. Planes are definitely safer, but when shit goes bad everyone hears about 200+ people dying all at once.

I was being completely-non serious about the parachute thing and I know about cabin pressurization and all that high-altitude jazz.

I hate planes because I get serious pressure headaches at high altitudes. Would rather drive 3 days than be in a plane for 6 hours to get to my relatives.

WARP10CK

Banned
Not if it went down over the ocean.

Widebody aircraft like the 777 have never been successfully ditched.

Does the 777 that crashlanded at heathrow count everybody survived

disaster2008.B-777.4.jpg

ZeroGravity

These are still vehicles. Unless you live in a place of 500 and can literally walk to anywhere else in town with ease, then you most likely need some sort of vehicle to get around. It's a necessity, and some degree of danger must be accepted in order to actually function in society.

Planes are a luxury. The majority of people get by just fine without ever needing to use one, and when they do, it's done so out of choice, not necessity. Most people are fine with accepting the very tiny risk that if something does go wrong, your life is almost guaranteed to be over. But stop trying to paint this bullshit car versus plane narrative as proof that there's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like flying. It's not a valid comparison.

Guys, guys, guys. You don't understand! Planes are the devil, and you stand a 100% chance of losing your sole when you go above 30,000 feet. In cars, that's only like a 1% chance.

I'm not optimistic for this flight, but I hope that they've beaten the odds on this one somehow.
But I require the use of my foot. :(

How is it in this day and age a plane can just lose contact with air traffic control? I just don't understand how all contact can be lost all of a sudden aside from an abrupt crash, which I really hope hasn't happened.

It's sad to say but in this situation I always tend to hope for the best, but assume the worst. :/

Konka

Banned
These are still vehicles. Unless you live in a place of 500 and can literally walk to anywhere else in town with ease, then you most likely need some sort of vehicle to get around. It's a necessity, and some degree of danger must be accepted in order to actually function in society.

Planes are a luxury. The majority of people get by just fine without ever needing to use one, and when they do, it's done so out of choice, not necessity. Most people are fine with accepting the very tiny risk that if something does go wrong, your life is almost guaranteed to be over. But stop trying to paint this bullshit car versus plane narrative as proof that there's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like flying. It's not a valid comparison.

I'm not saying there is something wrong with them, I'm saying its ridiculous to somehow twist your mind to feel safer in a car given all the information out there. Most people on this planet get by without using a Car as well so it could easily be argued that they are a luxury of the developed world as well.

PK_man

Banned
I think if the plane suddenly loses all engines and is basically gliding down, there is a chance that MAYBE you can survive assuming the pilot can find a place to land the plane.

However, given that the plane lost radio contact, it's likely there was an explosion and then the plane would be just free falling to its death.

Hoping for a miracle....

MThanded

Speaking of cars being safe. Have you ever been driving down the road and thought to yourself "if anyone driving down this highway swerved into me right now I'd probably be dead". Even worse, 2 lane roads where cars going the opposite direction are a few feet away from you. Someone could just drift over and kill you instantly. It's out of your control. So many people with your life in their hands every day.

Planes mostly fly themselves these days. Also there is a highly trained human at the helm. Anyone can be driving a car around you. Quality control on drivers doesn't exist.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Apparently the airline is reporting they lost contact 2 hours after takeoff, which would put them well over mainland Asia, and not the water.

Konka

Banned
Speaking of cars being safe. Have you ever been driving down the road and thought to yourself "if anyone driving down this highway swerved into me right now I'd probably be dead". Even worse, 2 lane roads where cars going the opposite direction are a few feet away from you. Someone could just drift over and kill you instantly. It's out of your control. So many people with your life in their hands every day.

Pretty much every time I am passing a tractor trailer truck.

flak57

Don't worry, you are safer in a plane than in a car, statistically.

This sentiment always annoys me. Show me the numbers specifically with a cautious driver that doesn't drink and drive. Oh, and that driver also has to be me in order to be applicable to me, because I am driving the car.

wow, the Kuala Lampur - BJ route is a very diverse and cosmopolitan grouping. There's a lot of Westerners and Asians of all flavors aboard so if the worse comes to light this will be a true International tragedy.

Hoping for the best, God willing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom