• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
This sentiment always annoys me. Show me the numbers specifically with a cautious driver that doesn't drink and drive. Oh, and that driver also has to be me in order to be applicable to me, because I am driving the car.

Being cautious has zero affect on all the not cautious people around you. If a dude is drunk and drifts across the lane and hits you head on you can be as cautious as you want and it won't matter.

TomServo

Does the 777 that crashlanded at heathrow count everybody survived

disaster2008.B-777.4.jpg

Sorry, when I mean ditched, I mean attempted a water landing.

I think the most "successful" ditching was the Ethiopian Air 767 hijacking... of ~175 passengers, 50 survived, but that happened within sight of land.

I still fail to understand what your point is exactly.

An airline pilot has a much better understanding of how their plane works than 99% of people who drive cars.

An airline pilot also has way more time to correct whatever the fuck has gone wrong if correctable than a car driver usually does.

ezrarh

If you are in a plane that crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

It's not the case with a car.

Point is, I would rather be in a car crash than a plane crash

Well, you're talking about catastrophic accidents. That's similar to comparing a car crashing head on into a trucker. You're going to die.

However, if you look at the the death rate per airplane crash, the chances of surviving is actually at 95.7% according to this study by the government. So even in an airplane crash, you're still likely to survive and the rate of airplane crashes is significantly lower than in an automobile as pointed out already.

GrayFoxPL

I won't lie commercial planes scare the shit out of me, though I'd like to fly a fighter jet. :p

I think it's technically possible to build a plane with openable lower half that would release passengers on seats with parachutes with individual timer to minimize risk of collision with other chutes. Though the cost would be monstrous and human life probably calculates for less in airlines. "What's easier to make - plane or a man?"

lexi

Banned
This sentiment always annoys me. Show me the numbers specifically with a cautious driver that doesn't drink and drive. Oh, and that driver also has to be me in order to be applicable to me, because I am driving the car.

Drunk drivers, drivers that fall asleep, drivers that are texting, drivers having a lapse of concentration, all of these drivers are not you.

People are in danger and you're all arguing about statistics. Get some fucking perspective; please.

Anyway, the news in itself is terrifying. Hoping for some monumental glitch or cock-up, but it gives me a horrible feeling.

flak57

Being cautious has zero affect on all the not cautious people around you. If a dude is drunk and drifts across the lane and hits you head on you can be as cautious as you want and it won't matter.

So I can't recognize that someone is driving erratically and adjust my car accordingly?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well done MSNBC. Because that's totally the way planes fly...

20140307-malaysia-flight-missing-map_5209cfae25f64f5cfce6030709b65b68.nbcnews-ux-720-440.png

Some rumors on several forums saying it may have landed in Nanming, China, but I can't locate any source for these rumors.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's not you that you have to worry about. It's every irresponsible, drunk, texting, eating, makeup putting on, no blind spot looking person you have to worry about.

Showaddy

On the brightside at least it went down over land. They'll be able to find the remains of the plane and there's a chance of finding survivors at least.

ezrarh

People are in danger and you're all arguing about statistics. Get some fucking perspective; please.

Anyway, the news in itself is terrifying. Hoping for some monumental glitch or cock-up, but it gives me a horrible feeling.

This is a good topic to bring up airplane safety. It's unfortunate for those missing in the airplane but if all we did was talk how horrible this is, you wouldn't have any discussion. We know it's horrible, doesn't mean we can't talk about airplane safety statistics.

Parachutes for planes? Sorry if that sounds stupid.
Unfortunately the logistics of that would be a nightmare even if the pilot had control and time to prepare before crashing and was able to reduce altitude to get the plane doors to be able to open. Imagine throwing grandma out a plane at 10,000 feet having never used a parachute? She will most likely not survive. The time it'd take to get everyone suited up and out is just impossible to work in 99.9% of situations where crashes happen very fast and mostly unexpectedly.

Edit: oh do u mean fitting the actual plan with a parachute? Lol don't know about that.

Konka

Banned
So I can't recognize that someone is driving erratically and adjust my car accordingly?

How are you going to notice that if the person is coming from the other direction at you? You'll only see them for a fraction of a second before it happens.

ampere

@ShimonPro: Plane would have run out of fuel by now the VP of the airline says on CNN. Searchers have so far have not found anything.

Oh man... awful. Pretty horrible and terrifying for anyone with family or friends on that flight.

On the brightside at least it went down over land. They'll be able to find the remains of the plane and there's a chance of finding survivors at least.

It might have flown along the coast, it could have crashed in the water.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How do both trackers show different locations?

One says last contact was over land, and another says over water?

Well, web based flight trackers are spotty. I'd more believe that the airline had them in contact for 2 hours, than flightaware, which is where people are getting the lost contact 20 minutes after takeoff (which would still probably put it over mainland Malaysia).

MThanded

The short answer is no. Someone driving erratically is one thing. This presumes some behavior pattern. However, it is likely you won't see this pattern.

Someone swerving over the line and hitting you head on is another. You can't do anything about that. The response time for automobile accident avoidance is very low.

I currently work with criticality real-time automobile software. The avionics guys commonly tell us how hard of a job we have compared to them.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Well, you're talking about catastrophic accidents. That's similar to comparing a car crashing head on into a trucker. You're going to die.

However, if you look at the the death rate per airplane crash, the chances of surviving is actually at 95.7% according to this study by the government. So even in an airplane crash, you're still likely to survive and the rate of airplane crashes is significantly lower than in an automobile as pointed out already.

The catastrophic accidents are what really scare me when it comes to planes crashing. People are misunderstanding me here. I'm not a big fan something failing mechanically if I happen to be on a flight..

Also I'm in NYC, I rationalize that most accidents are low speed and fairly survivable inside a big city because of lower inner city speeds. I'm not on a highway often..

It's a given that there's a shit ton more cars on the roads every day crashing vs planes crashing. But can you really blame someone for having more fear of a situation in the sky that you really don't have any control of if a catastrophic event occurs?

flak57

How are you going to notice that if the person is coming from the other direction at you? You'll only see them for a fraction of a second before it happens.

Maybe I have quick reflexes? The point is that I have a degree of control over my safety where as in a plane I don't.

The short answer is no. Someone driving erratically is one thing. This presumes some behavior pattern. However, it is likely you won't see this pattern.

Someone swerving over the line and hitting you head on is another. You can't do anything about that. The response time for automobile accident avoidance is very low.

I currently work with criticality real-time automobile software. The avionics guys commonly tell us how hard of a job we have compared to them.

It is also possible that I will see the pattern, which is my point though ;) And even in the event of a collision I may be able to guide my car so that I don't die.

s_mirage

It's not just erratic drivers that can be a problem though as random chance can also play a part. My dad was a safe driver but that didn't stop him being killed in an accident caused by someone else's tyre blowout.

terrisus

In the end, I'm controlling my car though, and there are plenty of defensive measures I can take in most situations.

Except the situations where you don't have time to do so or where those defensive measures aren't available.

And, guess what? Those times are much more frequent than the amount of times that airplanes crash.

numble

These are still vehicles. Unless you live in a place of 500 and can literally walk to anywhere else in town with ease, then you most likely need some sort of vehicle to get around. It's a necessity, and some degree of danger must be accepted in order to actually function in society.

Planes are a luxury. The majority of people get by just fine without ever needing to use one, and when they do, it's done so out of choice, not necessity. Most people are fine with accepting the very tiny risk that if something does go wrong, your life is almost guaranteed to be over. But stop trying to paint this bullshit car versus plane narrative as proof that there's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like flying. It's not a valid comparison.
Cars are as much a luxury as planes.

I need planes to go to work locations and see friends and family. You could argue that I should choose to have my life inside one driveable area, but I could say that you could choose to have your life inside one walkable area, or bikeable, within horse-riding distance, whatever.

If people say they have an irrational fear of something, that's fine.

But, people are actually trying to argue that cars are safer than planes. And that's outright false.
No they're not. No one here is debating that statistically cars are safer than planes. They're explaining the basis of their irrational fear given that airplane accidents ~=100% chance of death vs. car accidents with a significantly <100% of death, the feeling of control they have, and the amount of time during which they're conscious of their likely fate.

MThanded

The catastrophic accidents are what really scare me when it comes to planes crashing. People are misunderstanding me here. I'm not a big fan something failing mechanically if I happen to be on a flight..

Also I'm in NYC, I rationalize that most accidents are low speed and fairly survivable inside a big city because of lower inner city speeds. I'm not on a highway often..

It's a given that there's a shit ton more cars on the roads every day crashing vs planes crashing. But can you really blame someone for having more fear of a situation in the sky that you really don't have any control of if a catastrophic event occurs?
I'll tell you this. Avionics safety in relation to physical linkanges and software is much more stringent than automobiles. Hence the reason you hear about so many automobile recalls.

Konka

Banned
Maybe I have quick reflexes? The point is that I have a degree of control over my safety where as in a plane I don't.

No, unless you are super human you don't have reflexes quick enough. On a plane a professional who is infinity more qualified to operate that plane than you are your car is in control.

Some of you guys are missing the point. It's not about statistics. It's that moment where you and everyone around you is coming to terms with their own death. Where the plane is violently shaking and plummeting and you can't see anything out the windows. Where things are flying about the cabin and the only things you hear are screams or prayers. Unless you're in a bus that tumbles off of a bridge, you aren't experiencing that in a car crash. This isn't downplaying the risk or fright of a crash, but it's a simple matter of them being two completely different experiences regardless of what lies on the other side.

I think if the plane suddenly loses all engines and is basically gliding down, there is a chance that MAYBE you can survive assuming the pilot can find a place to land the plane.

However, given that the plane lost radio contact, it's likely there was an explosion and then the plane would be just free falling to its death.

Hoping for a miracle....

Ugh, I hope it's not an explosion.

Some rumors on several forums saying it may have landed in Nanming, China, but I can't locate any source for these rumors.

That area does seem fairly scarce.

Unfortunately the logistics of that would be a nightmare even if the pilot had control and time to prepare before crashing and was able to reduce altitude to get the plane doors to be able to open. Imagine throwing grandma out a plane at 10,000 feet having never used a parachute? She will most likely not survive. The time it'd take to get everyone suited up and out is just impossible to work in 99.9% of situations where crashes happen very fast and mostly unexpectedly.

Edit: oh do u mean fitting the actual plan with a parachute? Lol don't know about that.
Yeah, kinda like those space shuttles on the runway. Just,you know,for crash landings.

Twio

Jeez, this really isn't good. I really do wish the best for these people.

Gonna be monitoring this story.

MThanded

You have a perceived degree of control. However, I understand that allows for reduction of fear. I will agree that in a car you believe you can do something about an accident. However, I would argue pilots and the underlying avionics system can both prevent a hazard or fault from turning in a failure much better than you or I can when driving a car.

yup. There may be injuries when it hits ground and maybe a death because of things like falling baggage but the parachutes are effective and slow the plane to a steady fall rather than hitting ground at 500 mph.
Well fuck. God dammit they need to get on equipping every plane with that so that I can one day fly again.

flak57

Except the situations where you don't have time to do so or where those defensive measures aren't available.

And, guess what? Those times are much more frequent than the amount of times that airplanes crash.

Show me your hard statistics for this.

You have the illusion of it because you're behind the wheel. The reality is you really don't as long as there are other drivers on the road.

terrisus

No they're not. No one here is debating that statistically cars are safer than planes.

If no one was debating that, there wouldn't be an issue.

Can we get everyone to admit that planes are statistically safer than cars?

Don't worry, you are safer in a plane than in a car, statistically.

Said everyone who's ever died in a plane crash.

Show me your hard statistics for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom