• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems like that site was trying to drum up hits. Hope they didn't pull some BS. In this day and age I wouldn't put it past them. If they saw a tweet claiming someone landed they should have sourced it. There is no source or anything.

azhar

Banned
I doubt the MalaysianDigest article is accurate, unfortunately. Someone else would have corroborated their story by now if it were true.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah it would have landed hours ago if that report was true. There's no way there would not be confirmation by now.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I won't lie commercial planes scare the shit out of me, though I'd like to fly a fighter jet. :p

I think it's technically possible to build a plane with openable lower half that would release passengers on seats with parachutes with individual timer to minimize risk of collision with other chutes. Though the cost would be monstrous and human life probably calculates for less in airlines. "What's easier to make - plane or a man?"

when i worked at united i asked an engineer about this. he said yes its possible but they fill each domestic flight with usps mail and that the parachute vest weigh to much....so profit over saving lives.

Trouble

Banned
when i worked at united i asked an engineer about this. he said yes its possible but they fill each domestic flight with usps mail and that the parachute vest weigh to much....so profit over saving lives.

Just imagine the first time such a thing malfunctioned and dropped people out of a plane at 35,000 feet.

Shit man, I hope they're ok but it's not looking good. I've been on Malaysian Airlines a few times too. Sure it's statistically safer than driving but there's always a chance and when your time's up it's up. It can happen to any airline, any modern plane, any circumstance, it's horrible. But having said that planes don't just fall out of the sky for no reason. Most of the time it's due to more than one factor, be it human error or mechanical failure or a combination of both.

I've been on dozens of long haul flights in my life and although I'm mostly fine with it it's always in the back of my head. Is it my time? Is this the "one" that's going to end it? I actually look around at all the passengers and try not to imagine all their faces and stories on the news or in one of those Air Crash Investigation programs. It's weird lol.

Konka

Banned
Shit man, I hope they're ok but it's not looking good. I've been on Malaysian Airlines a few times too. Sure it's statistically safer than driving but there's always a chance and when your time's up it's up. It can happen to any airline, any modern plane, any circumstance, it's horrible. But having said that planes don't just fall out of the sky for no reason. Most of the time it's due to more than one factor, be it human error or mechanical failure or a combination of both.

I've been on dozens of long haul flights in my life and although I'm mostly fine with it it's always in the back of my head. Is it my time? Is this the "one" that's going to end it? I actually look around at all the passengers and try not to imagine all their faces and stories on the news or in one of those Air Crash Investigation programs. It's weird lol.

I mean, I don't want to go back to the stats, but you're more likely to be struck by lighting.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Just imagine the first time such a thing malfunctioned and dropped people out of a plane at 35,000 feet.

true.

whats going on with that msnbc flight path image? ive never seen a flight path going straight. have any of you GAF?

areal

Some additional information on The Aviation Herald for those interested:
According to The Aviation Herald's radar data the aircraft was last regularly seen at 17:22Z (01:22L) about half way between Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) at FL350 over the Gulf of Thailand about 260nm northnortheast of Kuala Lumpur 40 minutes into the flight, followed by anomalies in the radar data of the aircraft over the next minute (the anomalies may be related to the aircraft but could also be caused by the aircraft leaving the range of the receiver).

Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

Also, see this comment:
9M-MRO was involved in a collision with china airlines airbus on Aug 9 2012 wher it hit de tail of the airbus sustaing wing damage.

Details of the previous incident: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=147571

Mononoke

Banned
I mean, I don't want to go back to the stats, but you're more likely to be struck by lighting.

Don't really want to add on to the discussion. But I was hit by a drunk driver while driving down the highway. He jumped the divider out of no where, and I had zero time to react. It happened all in an instant, I didn't even know what hit me. I was very close to death, but got lucky. This happened when I was around 17. I've also had friends who have been killed in car accidents. I've never known a single person to die in an airplane.

So yeah, I think there is a sense of false perception of control when driving. Maybe in certain circumstances you can react. But yeah. The stats don't lie.

The last time I flew was a day after Air France 447. Everyone on that plane was tense as fuck. I always seem to fly shortly after major plane crashes.

Planes get hit by lightning too lol.

But so what? The statistics of getting hit by lightning, being in a car crash or slipping on a banana peel doesn't actually concern me when I'm going through turbulence so bad it feels like the plane is about to come apart.

malfcn

Hope the best. If not hopefully it was quick. I am not sure if I'd go mad or peaceful. When I fly I just tell myself that there is nothing I can do to try and stay calm.

Shouldn't there be a contingency or vicinity to check. Why not scramble jets out to a rogue or missing flight?

Wow. They still haven't found where it might be? Is it possible it was hijacked or something?

Planes "disappear" from contact all the time, only to reemerge when they approach another air traffic radar. Although that's usually in the middle of oceans, I'm not sure how many areas are like that in SE Asia.

Konka

Banned
Planes get hit by lightning too lol.

But so what? The statistics of getting hit by lightning, being in a car crash or slipping on a banana peel doesn't actually concern me when I'm going through turbulence so bad it feels like the plane is about to come apart.

Turbulence is actually pretty much never a cause of accidents actually. It just gets to me for some reason when people start acting like planes are so terrifying after something like this happens when the chance of it actually happening to you is up there with winning the power ball and there are far far more terrible ways to die that are much more likely.

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Big-E

Hearing about the 2 infants really hits home. I will be taking my family on a plane in a couple of months and it would be utter horror to have to think about the fact you know your child is going to die.

Archer

Hope the best. If not hopefully it was quick. I am not sure if I'd go mad or peaceful. When I fly I just tell myself that there is nothing I can do to try and stay calm.

id get angry at the losers who fucked up and put me in that situation. not the best feeling to have as you go, but maybe curses can come true?

Turbulence is actually pretty much never a cause of accidents actually. It just gets to me for some reason when people start acting like planes are so terrifying after something like this happens when the chance of it actually happening to you is up there with winning the power ball and there are far far more terrible ways to die that are much more likely.

Never said it was terrifying, it's just always in the back of my mind. Sorry to have offended you so much.

Pandemic

They haven't ruled out a terrorist attack, which is a possibility since it didn't have any issues prior to losing contact. Maybe an explosion? What would prevent them from submitting a mayday call when it was at a good altitude of 35,000 feet. If it were to free fall, they would've had a chance to radio something?

Konka

Banned
Never said it was terrifying, it's just always in the back of my mind. Sorry to have offended you so much.

You didn't offend me and I can understand it being in the back of your mind but it should be in the back of your mind in the sense that. "I just bought this mega millions ticket, somebody has to win, why not me?"

They haven't ruled out a terrorist attack, which is a possibility since it didn't have any issues prior to losing contact. Maybe an explosion? What would prevent them from submitting a mayday call when it was at a good altitude of 35,000 feet. If it were to free fall, they would've had a chance to radio something?

A terrorist attack is pretty useless if you don't broadcast that there was an attack.

While this is fucking crazy...and scary too because I had been on literally 10 different planes overseas in the last 2 months.....When I first read the OP...I couldn't help but think.....

Lost-season1.jpg

I can't be the only one....

pestul

The last time I flew was a day after Air France 447. Everyone on that plane was tense as fuck. I always seem to fly shortly after major plane crashes.
I was actually in the air when I found out about that one.. Couldn't believe they talked about it on an inflight news program.

Caode

I was actually in the air when I found out about that one.. Couldn't believe they talked about it on an inflight news program.

I was travelling to New York the day there was the apparent attempt to blow up 10 planes, it was the time the plot involved the liquid explosives, August 2006 if I remember correctly. It was the day the instant ban was put on any liquid being brought on board. Talk about tense after the news just breaking and having to go through airport security which was just ramped up as high as it could go, then having to board that flight, tense as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom