• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

I don't know, same with people who care about being able to run really fast or jump really high.

I think conditioning your body in such a way that you could face any physical challenge is a great feeling. Feeling strong is part of that.
U can't really train speed and jumping ability. Coming from someone who ran track from ms to hs, you either are fast and can jump high or far or u can't. Diminshing returns are heavy for training on that. With strength tho, once you're passed a certain point who cares? I think it's typically ego, but to me I see the benefit much more in training for aesthetics.

Training strength if you're a noobie is great, but after that I don't see the point unless it's job related. Otherwise you're just in the gym to flex to others which is just stupid

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't quite get the problem. If actors are supposed to be seen as an ideal, let's be happy they look fit rather than like drugheads or obese. That's like all those articles I keep seeing in German media celebrating whenever a female celebrity gains significant amounts of fat (and complaining when they gain muscle, so that's definitely not starving). If some people feel additional motivation through this to move their body, all is good, on the flipside, I cannot see any harm.

Why do people care about strength?

1. Because if I spend a bunch of time at the gym I want to get some real-life advantages out of it, not solely looks

2. It's fun to see your lifting numbers go up

3. If you eventually want to train for muscle, you will have an easier time seeing results, as you can use a higher weight for those high-rep training regimes

4. The process of training for strength is more fun than training for the most beautiful bosy. 5-rep sets and eating at a small calorific surplus is a lot more fun than high-rep sets, starving yourself and doing hours of cardio each week

U can't really train speed and jumping ability. Coming from someone who ran track from ms to hs, you either are fast and can jump high or far or u can't. Diminshing returns are heavy for training on that. With strength tho, once you're passed a certain point who cares? I think it's typically ego, but to me I see the benefit much more in training for aesthetics.

Wrong. Doing low-rep squats, deadlifts and power cleans will help improve both speed and jumping ability

Training strength if you're a noobie is great, but after that I don't see the point unless it's job related. Otherwise you're just in the gym to flex to others which is just stupid

Think there may be a certain amount of projection going on here

Hoo-doo

Banned

This is the crux right here. You think it's solely for other people. It's not, it's for me.
I'm not even close to being a 'buff' dude, but I love challenging myself and seeing what my body can achieve when I put in the time. It's solely for me.

I only have one body to ride these ~80 years out with, i'm sure as hell going to shape it the way I want it to.

This just in: Movie stars are beautiful.

But did Micheal B Jordan have to look like boxer to play one in a movie?

Why does Kevin Hart like being in shape when he's a self depreciating comic?

That's funny though, thinking about it... Kevin Hart legit looks like more of an immortal weapon than the dude who played Iron Fist

You're wrong. You must have had a shitty coach.

Abounder

Banned
They've always been buff but yea nowadays you have to have those hip flexors on display

Anyway if 50+ year old Martin O'Malley can stay very fit, then millionaire actors sure as hell will be expected to. Blockbusters are risking a lot of money and trying to get a worldwide audience - good luck getting billions with flabby stars even in this era of obesity

CRPcIFCWoAEVkVB.png

Yoshi

This is the crux right here. You think it's solely for other people. It's not, it's for me.
I'm not even close to being a 'buff' dude, but I love challenging myself and seeing what my body can achieve when I put in the time. It's solely for me.

I only have one body to ride these ~80 years out with, i'm sure as hell going to shape it the way I want it to.
Also, I think the most significant gain, even if one is not interested in sports itself, is, how much easier life in general is when you preserve a certain base level of fitness. It's always fascinating how much people of my age (say around 30) struggle with simple tasks such as carrying their bag up a mountain, walking up some floors using the staircase rather than the elevator or walking a few kilometers.

Why do people care about strength?

Strength is an added benefit. You can carry more, have more stamina to do stuff. Real life RPG stat upgrade.

Added bonus of looking better if your diet is good.

Best part about lifting weights is the endorphin rush though. Feels good to work out. Beats alcohol and drugs if you feel sad or angry. I don't even look ripped or anything, I have a dad bod and my current diet sucks but I just feel fantastic after a workout.

There is absolutely no downside to strength training. You work your inner and outer self.

They've always been buff but yea nowadays you have to have those hip flexors on display

Anyway if 50+ year old Martin O'Malley can stay very fit, then millionaire actors sure as hell will be expected to. Blockbusters are risking a lot of money and trying to get a worldwide audience - good luck getting billions with flabby stars even in this era of obesity

FrgoVLE.jpg
[/IMG]

You realize "working out" doesn't simply mean going to the gym, right? All forms of physical activity are included in working out. These tribesmen's bodies have adapted to what they primarily do, physically, during their day to day. That's it. Does it enable them to swim as fast as a swimmer? No. Because that isn't required of them. Does it enable them to run as fast as a sprinter? No.

My point is, there is no all around body type. Bodies adapt to whatever task is required of them, and these guys have adapted to the variety of task they do. Specialized doesn't mean it only fits a singular, specific task. It simply means it doesn't fit everything, ideally.

This idea of "specialization" is the product of modern society, where specialization of labor has helped us achieve economies of scale in terms of production.

Being a physically-capable, ideally-healthy human being over the long run (i.e., your entire lifespan) necessitates staying away from extreme forms of specialization. Your body would never last in a physically capable state if you did powerlifting, played pro football, or rugby all day everyday. That's why most people who do those things professionally at the highest level only are capable of doing it for a 20 year window at most. They are literary out of a state of equilibrium where their bodies are being unduly stressed, likely with the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

Find me one of these people harvesting citrus trees into their 90s like this woman from Okinawa:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwX9Ll19cX0&time_continue=51

The point of mine is that being highly physically functional across a broad spectrum of activities and tasks gives you a totally different physique than that of working out in a gym all day for vanity purposes. If you correlate total physical skill and utility with a particular physique, you will find it does not correlate well with Hollywood gym bodies pumped full of performance enhancing drugs.

Yoshi

Did I use the wrong word? I meant bag as in a backpack for instance. Mountain might also be pushing it, let's say hill? When we last went to a conference in an area with a few hills, my colleagues were pumping like crazy because they had to carry their backpack up a hill to reach the hotel and required several pauses on the way, which was maaybe 2km.

rtcn63

1. Because if I spend a bunch of time at the gym I want to get some real-life advantages out of it, not solely looks

2. It's fun to see your lifting numbers go up

3. If you eventually want to train for muscle, you will have an easier time seeing results, as you can use a higher weight for those high-rep training regimes

4. The process of training for strength is more fun than training for the most beautiful bosy. 5-rep sets and eating at a small calorific surplus is a lot more fun than high-rep sets, starving yourself and doing hours of cardio each week

If you actually trained, like really trained, you know what you just said is barely true. Unless you're intentionally trying to mislead people, which there is a definite argument for from your prior posts in the thread.

You know what the optimal rep range for muscle growth is? 5-8 of your 5-rep max, give or take. If you're hitting the gym for looks, you WILL get stronger. (And if you're doing it for strength, you WILL look better.... if you're cutting regularly. Because either way, it's IMPOSSIBLE to naturally put on lean body mass without putting on fat, even on a minimal calorie surplus.)

And it's more a case of training for specific movements- take a bodybuilder and have him move sofas for a a few weeks, and he'll be pretty good at moving sofas.

If you actually trained, like really trained, you know what you just say is barely true. Unless you're just intentionally trying to mislead people.

You know what the optimal rep range for muscle growth is? 5-8 of your 5-rep max, give or take. If you're hitting the gym for looks, you WILL get stronger. (And if you're doing it for strength, you WILL look better.... if you're cutting regularly. Because either way, it's IMPOSSIBLE to naturally put on lean body mass without putting on fat, even on a minimal calorie surplus.)

And it's more a case of training for specific movements- take a bodybuilder and have him move sofas for a a few weeks, and he'll be pretty good at moving sofas.

??

What part of what I said is not true

Oh, you're saying that my idea of how to train for hypertrophy is wrong? That may be true. It's not really my goal, so I haven't really looked into it.

Still, my point still stands, not having to intermittently starve yourself is still much more fun than having to intermittently starve yourself (cutting)

rtcn63

??

What part of what I said is not true

3. People who train strength and "for looks" are using the same process- progressively loading weights over a period of time. And switching from one rep range (either to induce hypertrophy or mitigate it) does not magically make you better at working in the other, at least no more so than if you were working in that rep range from the start. Most people are probably just using different percentages of their 5-rep max regardless.

4. Starving yourself and doing hours of cardio- what? You can't put on LBM without fat. A person who trains exclusively for strength will eventually have to cut once he gets to a certain size/bodyfat percentage. It's just that a person training for looks may get there a bit faster. In both cases, no, you don't have to diet down... but you won't look as great as you could. And let's be honest- trying to impress people with how much strength you have (but likely don't actually need in the day to day) is just as superficial as training to look nice.

Stop paying attention to dudebro science. For your own sake.

3. People who train strength and "for looks" are using the same process- progressively loading weights over a period of time. And switch from one rep range (either to induce hypertrophy or mitigate it) does not magically make you better at working in the other, at least no more so than if you were working in that rep range from the start. Most people are probably just using different percentages of their 5-rep max regardless.

4. Starving yourself and doing hours of cardio- what? You can't put on LBM without fat. A person who trains exclusively for strength will eventually have to cut once he get gets to a certain size/bodyfat percentage. It's just that a person training for looks may get there faster. In both cases, no, you don't have to diet down... but you won't look as great as you could.

Stop paying attention to dudebro science. For your own sake.

Not necessarily

Also, there are other differences between training for strength and for looks. Ain't no one training for strength gonna waste their time with crunches or biceps curls

It's also funny that I'm the guy you're saying is spreading broscience and not the guy saying you can't train your way to better jumping ability and speed :lol

rtcn63

Not necessarily

Also, there are other differences between training for strength and for looks. Ain't no one training for strength gonna waste their time with crunches or biceps curls

Bicep curls and (weighted) crunches are fine if you're progressively loading them with weight over time. I mean, if you're goal is to get stronger biceps and stronger abdominal muscles. Here's an interesting idea- you can do compound movements that hit multiple bodyparts AND finish off with direct arm/ab/etc work. Or even switch up your exercises and rep ranges on different days to fulfill different goals. Like, I know, it sounds like madness. I can't believe NO ONE has ever thought of it. NO ONE EVER.

EVER

Bicep curls and (weighted) crunches are fine if you're progressively loading them with weight over time. I mean, if you're goal is to get stronger biceps and stronger abdominal muscles. Here's an interesting idea- you can do compound movements that hit multiple bodyparts AND finish off with direct arm/ab/etc work. Like, I know, it sounds like madness. I can't believe NO ONE has ever thought of it. NO ONE EVER.

EVER

Like, in between my job, the two choirs I'm singing in and my social life, I'm having enough trouble finding time to train as it is. Throwing in extra sets and training is not what I quite need right now

rtcn63

Like, in between my job, the two choirs I'm singing in and my social life, I'm having enough trouble finding time to train as it is. Throwing in extra sets and training is not what I quite need right now

You're not training to impress people but you felt like you needed to throw this out. Yeah buddy, sure. ;)

Alright, I realize we're probably being trolled, so I'm out.

You're not training to impress people but you felt like you needed to throw this out. Yeah buddy, sure. ;)

Alright, I realize we're probably being trolled, so I'm out.

I'm just pointing out that I want to use all of my training time to reach my specific goals. What is wrong with that?

And since when is having a social life something that would impress someone and not, you know, normal

Yeah it's disappointing. Hoffman, Dreyfus, Washington, Pacino, etc. as an aspiring director I look at these actors as a few that represent the chameleon like quality that actors possess to play the every man. Too built, if it's not a superhero movie is too much IMO.

rtcn63

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but you sound rather insecure

giphy.gif

Back on track- yes, you can train to jump higher or run faster. You just do the relevant exercise types in the relevant rep ranges and... jump and run. High and fast. A lot. You'll always be within the limits of your personal genetics and/or drugs.

A lot of what you see on movie screens doesn't really translate well to real life. Without having any context or stats you can't really give an accurate description of their physique and size. The thing is people see some who is "lean" without a shirt on screen and they think "huge" because you could see all their muscle definition. Efron is 5' 9" and around 160lbs that is absolutely in no way "huge." The same goes for most hollywood actors (aside from The Rock) and basically all natural bodybuilders. What I'm saying is, these guys look absolutely normal under regular clothes walking around in the world.

For example, this is a friend of mine who has won a few fitness competitions and makes his living out of bodybuilding. This is in line with what the peak of natural bodybuilder could achieve through years of training...he wears a medium size shirt.

Noel-Rua- by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

There's nothing normal about Efron's physique here, this is peak physical conditioning.

120v

it's standard routine for actors (especially mainlining ones) to undergo super intensive diet and workout regimens before filming, and when you don't have a 9-5 job i'd imagine it's not super hard to do. it's just something they do, like a auditor does somebody's taxes everyday

i do think with some roles it's just silly though. so many roles with an alcoholic detective or whatever living off crappy fast food and he happens to have 10% body fat, but hollywood gonna hollywood

There's nothing normal about Efron's physique here, this is peak physical conditioning.

I'm not saying he's normal, he's extremely fit. What I'm saying is he's not big. He's got 15 inch biceps. If you saw him wearing a button down shirt standing next to you, you wouldn't think much of him. That's precisely the point of my post. Low body fat gives the illusion of "size" in pictures, which works great for movies and magazines, but in real life these guys are not that "big" despite being in great shape.

People that look big and intimidating in real life weight 230lbs and have 18" arms or more, and of course are probably using drugs.

More so low fat percentage and cameras..

Pretty much.

rtcn63

How tall is Efron? He looks pretty short, which makes the beefcake look even worse.

I think it's mostly just the way he's standing. And his shorts being too low down his waist to emphasize the v-shape. And maybe the blond highlights, although Pitt can pull it off.

This idea of "specialization" is the product of modern society, where specialization of labor has helped us achieve economies of scale in terms of production.

Being a physically-capable, ideally-healthy human being over the long run (i.e., your entire lifespan) necessitates staying away from extreme forms of specialization. Your body would never last in a physically capable state if you did powerlifting, played pro football, or rugby all day everyday. That's why most people who do those things professionally at the highest level only are capable of doing it for a 20 year window at most. They are literary out of a state of equilibrium where their bodies are being unduly stressed, likely with the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

Find me one of these people harvesting citrus trees into their 90s like this woman from Okinawa:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwX9Ll19cX0&time_continue=51

The point of mine is that being highly physically functional across a broad spectrum of activities and tasks gives you a totally different physique than that of working out in a gym all day for vanity purposes. If you correlate total physical skill and utility with a particular physique, you will find it does not correlate well with Hollywood gym bodies pumped full of performance enhancing drugs.

I think you're conflating a variety of different things

1. Athletes often can't sustain their fitness because of a combination of overworking and the type of workouts they do. For instance, someone casually playing basketball everyday won't have the same issues as someone playing it and a peek level. Not to mention, a swimmer won't suffer many of the impact based injuries that athletes that primarily run and jump suffer from. It's all based on HOW demanding a physical activity is and the type of demands it makes on the body.

2. There is no inherent "gym body" either. What you consider the "Hollywood gym" body is the result of working specific muscle groups for a specific look. There's nothing stopping people from going to gyms and doing full body workouts and, in fact, a number of people do so. You don't need to live in the forest and carry rocks, trees and shit.

3. The woman you posted is healthy because of a healthy LIFESTYLE, not because she didn't specialize or did a bunch of outdoor activities. There's nothing stopping athletes from pursuing all around workouts, and in fact, despite the injuries some incur, they are all healthy individuals.

I think it's mostly just the way he's standing. And his shorts being too low down his waist to emphasize the v-shape. And maybe the blond highlights, although Pitt can pull it off.

He's shorter than Brad Pitt. He's like 5'8" from what I've heard, versus Pitt's ~5'11" size

It's getting ridiculous. In many cases it actually breaks the suspension of disbelief. Most of the times it doesn't even make sense for the character.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I wish I could have FEs body.. 😍😍😍 but I will always be a 5'9.5" manlet with oversized traps 😢😢😢

Bicep curls and (weighted) crunches are fine if you're progressively loading them with weight over time. I mean, if you're goal is to get stronger biceps and stronger abdominal muscles. Here's an interesting idea- you can do compound movements that hit multiple bodyparts AND finish off with direct arm/ab/etc work. Or even switch up your exercises and rep ranges on different days to fulfill different goals. Like, I know, it sounds like madness. I can't believe NO ONE has ever thought of it. NO ONE EVER.

EVER

I did compound lifts only. My legs, back, and chest got bigger but my arms got smaller. Some people may be genetically blessed where their arms will grow with compound lifts only, but now I'm back to single body parts.

Top Bottom