• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Magi 116
magi116.png

moe~

Aww yeah, this just keeps on getting better and better. Now if only the translations came out faster!

Solune

Hanamatsuri vol 1 End
DhMXh.png

The premise of the manga has to be one of the most creative deliberate attempt to be able to draw women, call them guys, and get away with it just cause flowers have to be very pretty. Not that I'm complaining that much since Aki is truly a great artist and I love her character designs. Sure there wasn't that much variations in this manga since most of the flowers were just Fujiwaka clones and the only different flower was the one that had black hair. It also makes me wonder what reading an Aki manga without predominately male cast would feel like. I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult to tell the gender of the characters without being explicitly told about it.

The main theme of the manga was about the relation between different flower masters and their flowers where the only connection between them is that all the flowers come from Haruou's school so him and Fujiwaka show up in every chapter. There was nice variations in each of the stories and they all covered different type of flowers and some of the problems they face with their flower masters. There was Nagayoshi and his quest to get Fujiwaka which ended in failure after he witness Fujiwaka's care for his master Haruou. Oumi's chapter was pretty interesting as it showed that not all flowers are perfect and sometimes it's difficult to live with them, especially when your flower is as clumsy and useless as Inuou. I did have a lot of trouble telling the difference between Inuou and Fujiwaka and was mostly confused as to why Haruou was selling his flower to Oumi. Then I realized they were two different people. The last chapter covered a more interesting relation as it was the only one where the flower, Hanabishi, hated its master, Haruomi.

The manga was really a missed opportunity. The entire concept of flowers was very interesting and there could have been more better ways to explore it such as what happens when your flower master is an asshole, or what happens to flowers when they get old and ugly, but these seem to be more darker themes that this manga wasn't particularly interested in exploring. There was also way too much dialogues that made this a very slow read. Sort of understandable when there are no action scenes but I wish we got more normal panels without having them covered in dialogue panels.
More Aki manga huh? Will add to the backlog
That seems like a common theme in all of her manga

Did you like how Olympos' Hades was a cute pretty boy unlike the Western equivalent?

I think she should write novels instead of draw manga if that's the case :lol.

Just goes to show Japan likes to moeify everything, even shinigami. I would've liked it if Hades trolled Ganymede by making out with him.

Dresden

Magi
I wouldn't think my joke of the princess falling for Alibaba would sooner or later would come true but damn sure it would be hilarious when it ever does!

Mor:

She can feel the game slipping from her fingers.

Lain

Air Gear vol 34
b459a8aee9f196146c63d8460be31c9dac5f40b4.jpeg

Woah woah woah! Wait a minute here! So dad Minami is a piece of shit and in on the whole Rika stuff?! That sure doesn't seem like a surprise, though it makes me rage somewhat alot especially thanks to that Rika jumping down from the airplane/whatever it was that thing and kissing Sora and telling him "it's so strange, before I thought I'd have killed you if I saw you again but now instead I'm so happy to see you" Oh Great you damn bastard playing with my feelings like that (and you did it once again with poor Kururu, you asshole).
That Kazu fight with Nike was the definition of badass, though Onigiri managed to make some great appearances. Aeon =(
Ikki managed to show up at the end and blurt out some of his awesome phrases that only a bastard like him could say.
Only real complaint is that the volume they sent me was busted so I'll have to get a new one.

Happy! vol 12 PE (ch186-202)
ae8de9820756b9e0cf129b3fb3060716f3676d49.jpeg

I'm debating between raging and taking it calmly. In volume 11 Ohtori seemed to have finally found his balls, so what does he do in volume 12? He decides to
first try to forget Umino (who's in love with Ohtori still) going out with Hina, and when she leaves him because she understands she's only being a replacement for Umino, he goes and fuck Choko, who reveals to him that that was his real first time, so he managed to not only betray Umino, again, with Choko, but he also did it for the first time with Choko.
It's appalling that Umino could still be in love with such a useless person and I don't accept the excuse that Ohtori believes
Umino has Sakurada now
, since only a moron could believe that... though Ohtori is a major moron.
There was a nice tennis match between
Umino and Nikolic
, in which Umino fought with all her strength
managing to get Nikolic to send the ball out 3 times by just a few mm, which no one wanted to aknowledge, except Nikolic at the end of the match, but Nikolic is always this cold robot
, which made me have some hope for the next few volumes left, but with this volume ending with Choko
momentarily winning over Nikolic
and Umino having those depressing thoughts, I fear for what will come in the future.

Oh, I forgot, Umino's brother finally made an appearance, and he's another useless moron who goes around making even more debts!

Articalys

Hayate no Gotoku 373

A meta discussion chapter with the idiot trio (Izumi, Miki, Risa).

Excellent.

I was going to call them the "baka trio" but you all seem to be a bit on edge about that sort of thing lately.

flawfuls

Ping Pong
Zero (Taiyo Matsumoto)
RRR

I also heard good things about Rookies but I never read it so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

I second all of these especially Ping Pong and will throw in Bamboo Blade and Bushidou Sixteen.

Rookies is fantastic btw and only two volumes away from being finished! Which means it at least a year away from being fully translated :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hayate no Gotoku 373

A meta discussion chapter with the idiot trio (Izumi, Miki, Risa).

Excellent.

I was going to call them the "baka trio" but you all seem to be a bit on edge about that sort of thing lately.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell I just read.

Viking 01-19

A manga about the art of business?

It's not that bad. Really short though, things move really quickly, there isn't that much of a conclusion but it wasn't that bad. A lot of talking about when they finally start selling stuff, it works.

I get that impression by the people who read GE and KNIM

Bullying at least directs that rage at the antagonist. Those 2 produce rage with the magical combination of a mind-fuckingly stupid MC, asshole crushes that never die, decisions that no sane human (or any other great ape) would make, MISUNDERSTANDINGS™, and terror of your girlfriend's panties.

survivor

Banned
Banana Bread Pudding vol 1 End

WuNUu.png

I'm cheating a little and using the 1980 cover of the manga instead of the new one. I'm only doing this cause the 1995 cover is too creepy and I don't wanna turn you people off from picking up this fine shoujo manga

I have no idea what I read. I'm not even sure if I understood anything or if I was even reading those countless paragraphs that cover most of the pages. And I thought Aki's manga had too much text. I feel like I need to read this a second time to understand what the hell was wrong with Ira and understand how her fascinating little mind works. To be honest, I'm not sure if this was a case of too deep for me or if I just stopped paying attention and started skipping panels after the tiring stream of dialogues.

One thing of note is the author of this manga is part of the 24-Gumi which is a term I have been coming across a lot while searching for shoujo manga to read. Can't say I have read any manga from this group of authors before but I'm very interested in reading some of the manga by Moto Hagio since I have read some good stuff about it

Kusagari

A Town Where I Laugh:

My reaction to this chapter:
1344145262817.jpg

I don't even care that it's going to be resolved. I'm reveling in seeing Haruto suffer for picking Eba.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A Town where you RAGE

You know what, it's not even worth the rage anymore. Screw it, I just want to watch that world burn at this point.

Articalys

Also, there was this amazing line on the chapter title page:

oHLcR.jpg

which must be useful here on Manga-GAF somehow.

edit: can this or a variant thereof be the OT6 thread subtitle

Kuroko no Basket
Akashi taking it easy for now , his team really is broken so he don't got much to do right now.
I have to say for some reason i enjoying this manga allot more than i thought i would same for the anime .
Can't wait until the next chapter and since the anime look like it going to sell well they should do a second season since the winter cup games would be awesome in anime format .

Just found out they doing another Initial D anime which is awesome .
They took much longer than before , happy that i did not cave in and read the manga since they took so long .

tenchir

Claymore

I am dissappointed with how claymores are made. I thought it was some sort of complicated arcane processes in imbuing humans with yoma's flesh. Turns out they just slice you open, squeeze in yoma meat, and sow you right up. Years of research and development and this is what they got? Wouldn't just liquifying yoma's flesh, then injecting it into the claymore candidate just be as effective?

Uchuu no Sparrow

Nice one shot about a guy who doesn't want to stand out get run over by an alien and becomes an alien and starts standing out.

I like the powers, the characters have potential and its nice talking about what's wrong with standing out.

Pandora Hearts 31

The revelation of whom The Will of The Abyss is, is actually shocking. I do not know how I feel about it and the implications it now has in the present time. Oz should never have gotten so close to Alice. Kevin is Break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom