• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Deadly

Sakura #12

You know, this stuff is kinda jarring. I think the manga takes place 3-4 years after the end of the original series (That clearly took place in the '90), but it's clearly written as if it's taking place in 2017, eh.
Considering in the 90's, Tomoyo gave Sakura a mobile phone, it's not that much of a stretch that it's a smartphone now.

Tonight I'll Be On Top (NSFW doujin)
ZcIcEna.jpg
Mira x yuri x sequel x office romance x xxx. After a debilitating workplace accident, a top and a bottom switch their traditional roles, with sexy results. Further evidence that trying out new things is one of the secrets to a happy life.

(NSFW) Kaiki Nantai Katatsumuri Musume by Ganma Rei

Snail girls are pretty rare, and this one has a rather interesting design. Anyways, the important lesson here is to not abuse of others generosity, or something.
There's some room for interpretation, but I figured it was about the importance of coming out of your shell.

Fbh

Dr Stone 13

I've been enjoying this manga but this chapter was pretty "meh" and the fact it's a whole story arc is killing my excitement for new chapters.
I really don't think we needed a flashback so early in the story. And so far it doesn't seem like it's showing anything new. It L's basically filler...which at 13 chapters we don't need.

Thud

The Promised Neverland 1-40

Shit so good it ain't funny. I'm looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Usobuko

Banned
Sakura #12

You know, this stuff is kinda jarring. I think the manga takes place 3-4 years after the end of the original series (That clearly took place in the '90), but it's clearly written as if it's taking place in 2017, eh.

Always been like that for old classics. I have read Conan and Kindaichi solved cases involving pagers to smartphones. And they are still 17 since the series began in early 90s.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 867

Did a double-take at her opening her eyes and everyone being gone. Damn if Oda really went there.

Dr. Stone ch. 13

These monkeys should take over the series tbh.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch867

Dang, that flashback was short yet surprisingly dark on all fronts.

On another note I speculate that Caramel orchestrated that little ceremony under the rain the previous chapter with her power.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch25

Nothing can stop the Colors!

My Hero Academia ch140

With the way things are headed, I can't help but feel that Mirio is gonna get taken out. Still don't know why the police or anyone else couldn't have wacked these goons out of commission, or he himself could have bashed their skulls against something hard with these tentacles.

barber

One Piece ch867 first thing: did that really happen? and (devil fruit related)
if you eat someone who has eaten a devil fruit do you get those powers? What was Caramel's power cause it looked like Mom's
. Nevertheless, wow that was... dark even if that didnt happen
the slave trader and the government thing is pretty shitty
Dr Stone 13 I mean it does a good job of doing the "new to the world" cliche with the monkeys and stuff but after the last episodes it feels super slow and could have been condensed in 3 pages
Black Clover 112 Huh that was a fast new arc, the new guy looks interesting
Investor Z 185 MC getting cocky, hope he crashes down to earth in some chapters so that he realizes he isnt all good after the end of the saving the club competition

upandaway

One Piece

Maybe? My first thought was Caramel took everyone off to sell them while Big Mom was eating, but those ripped clothes man...I think Oda went there...
I thought about that too but that doesn't make sense. Caramel's highest priority was selling Big Mom and she ended up leaving her to later become an emperor. Something definitely didn't go as planned in that party

Deadly

One Piece
Shit is fucked up. Typical Goda backstories. Why is there clothing left behind if she ate them though?

MHA
Daaaamn Suneater yo. Yeah the Mirio backstories scream death flag

Shokugeki no Soma
So 2nd round is obviously going to be a stomp for Central huh

Eusis

Always been like that for old classics. I have read Conan and Kindaichi solved cases involving pagers to smartphones. And they are still 17 since the series began in early 90s.
A lot of longer running series period end up using sliding time scales, though that makes it seem doubly bad in a case like Conan where the series lasted long enough to grow back up the slow way... like 3 times by now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece

I thought about that too but that doesn't make sense. Caramel's highest priority was selling Big Mom and she ended up leaving her to later become an emperor. Something definitely didn't go as planned in that party

That's why I'm landing on the side of Big Mom having eaten everyone by accident. Plus it's explain why she has Mother Caramel's devil fruit power, it'd also go a long way towards explaining what Blackbeard did to Whitebeard under that tarp.

Nordicus

Beastars 28-30

Was all prepared to go "man, that tiger is such an asshole", then suddenly he becomes the sane individual in the room.

Christ almighty

One Piece 867

So...she ate a bunch of kids and her foster mother? That's the conclusion I came to from her getting the Soul devil fruit. That's fucked.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) You, My Childhood Friend (She falls in love with her) by Takano Saku

Guilt and self=esteem issues are one hell of a mix. Good thing nothing beats a round of yuri sex to bring to rest the insecurities as to their relationship.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece Jesus christ that flashback took some turns.[/b]

Dr. Stone I actually genuinely like the way this series goes through in a bit of a time-lapse with the survival stuff.

MHA Yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeye I'm looking forward to Suneater(who has the coolest and sweetest name) to rock some heads!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I assume there's something more to Suneater's quirk because it looks like a Beast Boy that needs prep time, aka, lame.

JulianImp

Helck - up to #96
Finally caught up on this, and I've got to say it's been pretty interesting so far. Helck is one hell of a guy for managing to resist the new world's will, but it was a bit annoying to have Mikaros come back yet again for another round of despair (but then again, I guess Asdra did set a precedent for Disney deaths being a thing here).

I'm still waiting for Piwi to pull a Gollum (of the non-sacrificial kind) and throw a wrench in Mikaros' plans somehow, though...

And since I caught up with Helck, I've now been looking at a couple other series in MangaWan:

Mitsubashi Koukou Neko-bu! (Mitsubashi high cat club) - #1
Kittens being cute can only carry a show so far. Pass.

XX demo Mahou Shoujo ni Naremasu ka? (Can I become a magical girl even though I'm XX?) - #1
Okay, so the premise is that a granny becomes a magical girl, and the first chapter has the town come under attack by a demon who turns girls into figures. Granny then proceeds to listen to listen to his tragicomedic backstory, gives him advice and even cooks for him in order to turn him back into a human? I... I think I might actually like this.

Iroha to Boku to (Iroha and I) - #1
A comedy about a high-schooler with no friends who meets the ghost of a girl... nah, I'll pass.

Kamitsuri (Spirit fishing) - #1
Dropped this extra-fast since it was about two sisters enrolled in a school of magic, where the older one was a total failure at magic that was played for laughs. Thanks, but no.

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichi Do - #1
I definitely like manga with rarely-seen premises such as this or the magical granny one more than the rest. A boy and girl realizing they share their love for anything and everything from the eighties sounds pretty interesting, and the way it was handled in this first chapter was good enough to compel me to continue reading.

...I also never knew those water games were so old. I mean, I even had some of them as a kid, and I was born in 88.

Ascheroth

No Guns Life Vol. 3
61POoaoc5HL.jpg

Continues to be a very good read.
Juzo going berserk was great, nice character development for Tetsuro, Mary and Olivier.
More information about Berühren and another Gun Slave Unit shows up, which will seemingly play a big role in the next volume.
Also very curious about how Juzo and this Victor are connected.
So yeah, all around good stuff and I'm looking forward to Volume 4 in August.

Alice in Borderland 16-29 (Beach and Ten of Hearts arc)

I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but I'm feeling like its falling harder to the ever present survival game series issue of "Who the hell set all of this up?" In series like Danganronpa or Zero Escape its more fantastical, but Alice is more grounded. Oh well, I don't really care too much as long as the games are exciting.

barber

Beastars 1-30 "Well finish my exams lets start reading some new manga, that one has been talked a lot lately, lets take a look"
What I expected: Real life Zootopia
What I got: Seinen Zootopia
Man, it got dark pretty fast and has more sex than anything

Shokugeki no Soma

I usually just lurk but I just had to comment on this. Ugh, this was bad.

Elite Ten being jobbers was established two chapters ago, but offscreening the match takes it to a new level. Plus since this was the fifth seat, everyone else below her is made a joke by extension (or would've been, if they hadn't already lost throughout the series in embarrassing fashions).

Also if this person was better than all the other second years, since she outranks them all, why was she not on the Elite Ten before over someone like Eizan or Erina? This makes no sense.

Dandte

I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but I'm feeling like its falling harder to the ever present survival game series issue of "Who the hell set all of this up?" In series like Danganronpa or Zero Escape its more fantastical, but Alice is more grounded. Oh well, I don't really care too much as long as the games are exciting.

I binge read this Mange earlier this year and it was a really really good ride. I'm looking forward for your impressions.

barber

Shokugeki no Soma

I usually just lurk but I just had to comment on this. Ugh, this was bad.

Elite Ten being jobbers was established two chapters ago, but offscreening the match takes it to a new level. Plus since this was the fifth seat, everyone else below her is made a joke by extension (or would've been, if they hadn't already lost throughout the series in embarrassing fashions).

Also if this person was better than all the other second years, since she outranks them all, why was she not on the Elite Ten before over someone like Eizan or Erina? This makes no sense.

Erinna was there basically because of her ability (having the best palate in the world) and was given the worst seat possible. Similarly Eizan's ability to make lot's of money was also a good reason for his seat. Plus we havent seen him get serious.
But yeah that offscreen win... shitty!! I guess the author wants to end the arc fast or something or have only one match that is important for every round (as the next round's points to be italian cuisine)

Erinna was there basically because of her ability (having the best palate in the world) and was given the worst seat possible. Similarly Eizan's ability to make lot's of money was also a good reason for his seat. Plus we havent seen him get serious.
Then over Kuga, Isshiki or Nene. The point still stands. Shoko was a complete non-character whose introduction scene was a gag.

Beastars

Man Legosi that wasn't a good look at all but it seems he trying to make something work and it will be interesting to see if it lasts.

Also Louis continues to claw in order to remain superior LOL

While Bill is still a POS he was actually the sane one in this scenario, so this one can slide

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is Beaststars an ongoing series? I keep seeing a lot of praise and feel I should check out.

Kalyx 1-2
Cute girls used as weapons of war = zzzzz
Cute girls powered by flowers inside them that bloom when they fall in love = hmmm
Cute girls die shortly after blooming when the flower withers away = fine I'll read it. The heroine's kinda annoying so her short life expectancy might actually be a plus.

Fancolors

Beastars is still ongoing iirc.

Think of a society of anthropomorphic animals where predators and prey try to live in harmony but are still under the influence of their base instincts with a coming of age story in it. It's pretty good so far.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch155

So she's pretty much a chuuni. The gas mask kinda gave that away I guess.

That's what they call it these days?

Bloom Into You vol.4 Extras

Gender is not really a factor for her, huh. That reaction was pretty funny though.

Beloved ch13

As always the art remains outstanding. Guess Dr. Wei still feels too shackled by social limitations.

Beastars ch28-30

Legosi has become a mess. I expect him to confront Louis about it considering how awkward he still is with Haru, and considering how prepared the former is... sheesh.

Shokugeki no Soma ch217

lol, off-paneled.

I fully expect Soma's team to lose the next round.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch33-35

Guess it's time for the playboy to get some development. I still find the romance aspect to be the worst part of this manga.

Kyuur

One Piece

The only thing to stop this from being a seinen chapter was the reveal about Mother Caramel's deal. It even softens the blow on the kids since you know they would've had shit lives anyways.

Dr. Stone

Enjoying this, comedy is gold! I wonder why the author chose to position this flashback here though, maybe they wanted some action up front to get people hooked?

Hero Academia

I kind of wish this manga was about the Big Three instead, no joke.

Mirio is probably gonna go to the dark side once the little girl dies in his arms. Causing a rift between him and suneater. Lol nah, I have no clue where this is going besides someone dying.

Usobuko

Banned

This manga has unparalleled characterizations.

jitsu wa watashi wa 172

Well, times sure don't change. Its basically the same situation.
I bet that vending machine would have still accepted the 1000 yen note though, unless they changed sizes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece

The only thing to stop this from being a seinen chapter was the reveal about Mother Caramel's deal. It even softens the blow on the kids since you know they would've had shit lives anyways.

Yea, it feels a bit like either editorial thought he went too far or Oda just chickened out.

Top Bottom