• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

bobohoro

Why wasn't I informed of this sooner??

I kinda had it on my radar, but yeah, that comment made it shoot up to the top as well.

If you had to choose a single manga to depict your taste in manga or you as a person or whatever, what manga would it be?

I'm torn between Welcome To The NHK, Oyasumi Punpun and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Mai Ball 83

This match is gonna get real crazy now, huh?
Football it its finest.

Boruto 13

The current arc is actually turning out better than I would have had any hope for with Boruto. It's still not good, mind you.

PK Gaming

00icgPA.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Food Wars
DBkcEnAXYAARgsQ.jpg:small

Kuga redemption arc in coming, lets do this!!!!!!

BLue Exorcist
DBkgePyXYAECs1T.jpg:small

Something is really wrong with Yukio, I wonder if someday he'll just go full bad guy.

At least we are soon back to exorcist action after what, more than half a year?
More like Kuga will just lose again

bjork

Golden Kamui?

Nope. I feel like it was a short series, maybe even a one-shot? It's fuzzy.

I assume you've read Worst, since it's from the same author.

Yeah. Anything they've translated that Hiroshi worked on, I've been through. I don't know how Junk Rank Family is, or if it's even still going, but when that's done, I hope we get a third CxW series where Zetton returns as a teacher.

Also, Angel Densetsu is the best delinquent/school manga there is.

I feel like there's a split between stuff like that, Be-bop High School and Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!, and stuff like Crows, Worst, QP, etc. I don't always want a lot of gags, but I'm glad those series are around when I do. GTO probably walks the line on this the best.

I think the best is Crows, and you can count Worst and QP in there since it's all the same universe. Then... probably Rookies or Kiku? Clover is pretty good, Drop seemed like it was okay, and then if I want anything else, it's kinda just glancing at raws. Not much delinquent stuff gets translated, especially older stuff. I'm surprised someone's doing Be-bop High School, tbh.

Boruto 13

An otherwise decent chapter ruined for me again because the author can't keep it in his pants about Sarada and so we get several pages of her in what appears to be her sleep wear.

At least he didnt find a way to put her in high heels at the same time, I guess.

Arabesque

Anyone else having issues with the new shonen jump app acknowledging your subscription? It says I'm a member but wants me to pay $1 for the new issue :|

Edit: signing out and in fixed the issue

I had this problem as well, until a notification from the app showed up and told me to sign out and sign in again.

I had no idea I had notifications in for the WSJ app, or that the WSJ app even had this sort of notification feature lol.

Zweizer

Banned
Ashita, Kimi ni Aetara (If we can meet tomorrow) ch1-4 by Aoto Hibiki

Spring 2000. Rinko, also known as Rin-chan, is a 14 years old middle school student who has a crush on her senior of 3 years and childhood friend, Akari, or A-chan. The year goes by peacefully, but as Akari's graduation draws near, she decides that tomorrow she'll confess to her and then goes to bed.

When she woke up, it was March 2016, she was 15 years older, and a bunch of unknown girls calls her their surrogate mother.

Now 29 years old, how will she able to deal with a familair yet unknown home, amongst strangers that consider her family, as an adult that has no memories of the past 15 years?

Pretty intriguing new yuri series. It has several possible directions it can take, and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it goes.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Koe no Katachi 1-END

Re-read all of it. Man... What a ride. I know people will read this and think melodrama for the sake of melodrama but having had a not so great childhood and still struggling with life in various ways, I think this manga speaks to me on various levels. That being said, it doesn't resonate with me perfectly like Oregairu, I feel immense symapthy and empathy for the characters in this. Sorta sad this is all done with though. I honestly don't think I've read something quite like this. It just... doesn't happen that often I guess?

Zweizer

Banned
Sorry to hear about your childhood circumstances. If you fancy another series that deals with troubled childhood, I'd suggest resting Goodnight Punpun you haven't done so yet.

Viz Weekly Shonen Jump 6/5/17

Black Clover

Asta, loser harem girl, and obviously not a bad guy, what could possibly go wrong? This match should at the very worse be entertaining.

Seraph of the End

I was hoping he was gonna just start doing her right in front of everyone as the ultimate display of greed, instead yaoi saves the day, dtl must have been thrilled.

Boruto

Man Sarada without glasses looks baaaad in this artstyle, Boruto with the big fucking hero moment was fun.

Robot x Laserbeam

Robo you're so amazing how can you be so amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Promised Neverland

Shit just got real, wonder how the kids will outwit this monstrosity.

Food Wars

Lol off screened, Kuga gonna get curb stomped next around. Trying to guess who else will go next round if it were me I'd sacrifice Megumi and Aldini cause they're dead weight.

We Never Learn

Status quo reestablished thank god I was afaid we were gonna see some fucking character development, instead just trashy fanservice.

Dr Stone

I'm cool with turning back the clock to show how Senku survived with rapid science advancements before Taiju woke up. I'm assuming we'll learn something in this flashback that Senku has kept in his back pocket and not revealed even to Taiju about how the stone world works. I do like Senku claiming Yuzuriha is skilled at dexterity and handcrafting which I imagine will become important in the present for Senku's science advancements.

My Hero Academia

My guess isn't that Mirio will die, Mirio will lose his powers permanently. This will put Deku in the crossfire of Sir Nighteye who'll reveal Deku's power is borrowed and that he should pass it in to someone more worthy. After that I assume Mirio will tell Deku to keep his power and that he'll find a way to be a hero even if his powers don't return which of course WAAAAAY down the road will enable him to have a big fucking hero moment when he shows up to save the day.

Blue Exorcist

Big brother is losing his shit, guess the original shitty anime ending did get that idea from what the mangaka had originally planned. I feel like I need to read a wikipedia summary of the last dozen chapters or so I've really god no idea whats going on in this story anymore.

One Piece

Oh man this caramel taste really good nom nom nom

So we still never got an explanation for why Lin Lin is a crazy over sized girl who eats everything. I kept expecting something to confirm her as a half breed giant and human but the series never gave that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sorry to hear about your childhood circumstances. If you fancy another series that deals with troubled childhood, I'd suggest resting Goodnight Punpun you haven't done so yet.

I'll check it out. That being said, the type of person I can be accurately depicted as is 8man from Oregairu. In terms of how I interact with people in real life and such. Well... at least up until mid-college.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Actually kinda interested in this.

Of course. There's no way Kuga takes out the 1st seat. Thats a victory reserved for one of the main characters.

He'll lose because his teamwork sucks and he will probably ruin it for all of the top three just so they can justify keeping them in the E10 when they reform it.

Chase17

Viz jump:
Theme of the week: eating people

Black Clover 112
Oh, right into the selection. I always forget that Yuno has a crew. Don't exactly like Asta's team, but the rules should make for a fun arc. Plus I'm a sucker for competitions arcs like this.

Boruto 13
I'm surprised that the Boruto/Tento friendship more or less works for me. Some pretty questionable Sarada design choices. Dude was going to just bite straight into his head though?

Robot x Laserbeam 11
The mechanics of a golf swing hype! I'm curious where Kuroko was at this point. Rion continues to be pretty good. And now we've got another golf legend out of nowhere who looks like an evil Kise.

The Promised Neverland 41

Last two page spread is great. Wonder if they'll ever bother to properly introduce/develop any of these younger kids.

We Never Learn 15
This series isn't very good.

Dr Stone 13
I'm all for time shenanigans but this chapter was pretty weak. Presumably Senku wasn't completely straight forward with Taiju though, so I wonder what he knows. Also would be interested to see if Senku found the cure himself and was the one who actually freed Taiju.

MHA 140
Very good. Tamaki and Mirio are both great. Don't even remember the name of the other big 3 girl, but she might be getting a raw deal.

One Piece 867
The flashback was excellent. Does this mean Blackbeard ate Whitebeard? Jeez....

Sold on the soccer manga, excellent designs.
DBkSYDaXkAAI8R6.jpg:large
Yeah good designs. I'll be interested in this.

Was straighten up any good?

Usobuko

Banned
If you had to choose a single manga to depict your taste in manga or you as a person or whatever, what manga would it be?

Alice in Borderland.

Though what I drawn to most is Mushishi " Everything is only as it is " zen-like philosophy, that's the ideal.

bobohoro

Boruto 13

An otherwise decent chapter ruined for me again because the author can't keep it in his pants about Sarada and so we get several pages of her in what appears to be her sleep wear.

At least he didnt find a way to put her in high heels at the same time, I guess.

Yeah, there is something extremely unsettling about the way Sarada is portrait in the series.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 65

Orobo continues to be one of the best characters in the manga.

Usobuko

Banned
7 seeds is awesome but now that I know it's coming to an end, I have a rough idea of where it's going.

I'm a bit further ahead at chapter 173 because I can read Chinese.

Talentless Nana 1

That moment when your interest in a series increases by several orders of magnitude. I'm not 100% sure on the plot until the next chapter releases, but I think it's about a regular girl who transfers to a school full of kids with superpowers, and has to systematically kill them without being detected, before they become one of the 'Enemies of Humanity' that they believe they're being trained to fight. It did a commendable job of disguising itself as a generic shounen story (right down to the ex-MC's talent nullifying skill) until the heroine pushed the hero off a cliff. Followed to see her body count flourish.

Jintor

i know i needed to see that hook to want to read it but i almost wish you hadn't said anything about it other than 'you should read this' lol

Twin Sisters 2

Notice me onee-chan. Initiating yuri is one of the few times when it's acceptable to mess with someone's gaming progress. Also I think they have a name for boyfriends when your SO's a girl instead.

Zweizer

Banned
Ashita, Kimi ni Aetara ch5

Things just got even weirder, but I guess that's an inevitable consequence of messing (or bring messed) with time.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch563

Yet they still have a bunch of disciples, somehow.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Otoyomegatari ch. 63

Otoyomegatari is somewhere in my top five ever, but I think if I've ever had one complaint about this manga it's always been that Karluk's character is, well, merely okay. So it's been great to see him receive some attention and proper development lately. The bit with him trying to show off his not-really-there muscle to impress Amir is pretty charming.

Mori's art is always ridiculous, but goddamn, this chapter looked immaculate, especially those eagles.

phaze

We Can't Learn 1-5

Pretty cute and endearing. Not much in the way of actual laughs though and I can see it becoming stale as it gets more and more haremy. Furahashi, swimmer girl and Kiznaiver reject from last chapter best girls.*

JulianImp

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichi Do - Up to Ch28
I'm almost done catching up with Mangawan's releases of this, which go up to ch30 so far, so I guess I'll be spending my replenishable points on the magical granny series from now on. This series is pretty heartwarming, and it also feels like Otaki and Yakushimaru's relationship is progressing at an acceptable pace.

Still, I've got to say that the chapters that had Yakushimaru's Kansai-ben-speaking childhood friend showing up to antagonize Otaki almost felt like they were pulled out of a completely different manga, because he felt more like a joke of a character rather than any kind of "rival" that'd help the MC be more honest with himself, and led to really weird drama... Like, who'd ever allow a random childhood friend that popped up out of nowhere to freaking abduct them? And then there was that weird justification that he never managed to get back in touch with her because his rich family was extremely strict and forced him to dedicate all available quality time to polishing his academic skills and stuff, which felt like too much of a cop-out of an excuse and didn't really help his case as anything but a cardboard cut-out of a love rival character (that didn't even stand a chance because Yakushimaru barely remembered him at all).

Besides that, I'd say Sonoko's character arc felt pretty rushed to me, but it was still okay-ish as a way to add yet another '80s fan into the mix from a completely different age and background. I guess her addition might help unburden the other two of the responsibility of being the epicenter of all dramatic situations, as her upcoming idol audition arc might provide some tension without it having to be directly related to Yakushimaru or Otaki themselves.

Top Bottom