• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Mob Psycho 100 ch 100.1

Man, it really feels like this might be the last chapter.

While I'm not sure where ONE is going with Mob Psycho 100 I don't think it's gonna end right now. If anything I can imagine things getting real dark. As far I can guess ???? doesn't come out in moments of calm and happiness and the fact it juts grabbed the flowers as it destroyed everything around Mob lends me to believe shit is going down.

JulianImp

We Never Learn is bad though. It's the most generic rom-com with the stockiest stock characters to ever be stock.

MC = Generic, unassuming type. But he's a nice guy, so all the hottest girls in school are practically frothing at the mouth to get at his D
Generic Girl 1 = Tsundere
Generic Girl 2 = Perfect Japanese Flower
Generic Girl 3 = Genki Girl/Childhood friend

The premise isn't even interesting.

I always wonder how much of that crappy set-up is too much, but then again the market's been speaking with its wallet and it looks like we aren't there yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always wonder how much of that crappy set-up is too much, but then again the market's been speaking with its wallet and it looks like we aren't there yet.

I mean, the art is clean and its full of waifus I guess. But its not something I'd read beyond the fact it only takes 60 seconds to read the entire chapter. It's the same shit for Yuragi except I can't read Yuragi anywhere that there are people around. Nisekoi was kind of similar. I only picked it up because I picked up so early on it took very little effort to keep up with it. Fuuka is kind of the same as that too, although Fuuka is actively worse than any of the above three.

JulianImp

I mean, the art is clean and its full of waifus I guess. But its not something I'd read beyond the fact it only takes 60 seconds to read the entire chapter. It's the same shit for Yuragi except I can't read Yuragi anywhere that there are people around. Nisekoi was kind of similar. I only picked it up because I picked up so early on it took very little effort to keep up with it. Fuuka is kind of the same as that too, although Fuuka is actively worse than any of the above three.

The best part is you could fit Eromanga-sensei in that mold, except it isn't available in manga form so it doesn't fit in this thread. It has the same structure, only with the addition of a harenchi hikkikomori tsundere loli imouto-tan not related by blood to the MC who goes by the pen name "Eromanga-sensei". And she wins from the start, so Girls A through C are just hopelessly trying to win him over out of some sense of duty as harem series characters.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
While I'm not sure where ONE is going with Mob Psycho 100 I don't think it's gonna end right now. If anything I can imagine things getting real dark. As far I can guess ???? doesn't come out in moments of calm and happiness and the fact it juts grabbed the flowers as it destroyed everything around Mob lends me to believe shit is going down.

I should catch up on Mob. Id be estatic if it ended soon, i feel like it has saod pretty much all of what it has wanted to say and was at a good point (last i read) to begin set up for a final arc.

00icgPA.png

What the fuck is this.

Holy shit, this is awful.

Lain

Born to be on air! volume 1
tMwc.jpg

This one starts with a bang and only keeps improving as the story goes along.
Minare has an explosive personality, no matter if she's sober or drunk and I was already adoring her during her drunkard outbursts in the first few pages. By the end of the volume I loved her.
My only complaint is that the volume ends just as things start to really get good and some more drama starts to take place.

Detonation Island volume 18 [END]

I didn't think I'd manage to read the end of this one because of the Kodansha debacle with the original publisher over here. Another publisher rescuing it has been great, especially because reading the notes at the end of this volume made me discover that this was an autobiography of Tsutomu Takahashi and that the events in it were real, even the deaths of two of the author's friends.

As a look in the bosozoku's way of life, this was a great read. As a growing up story, not so much. I hated Takashi, the MC as I never felt like he grew up from a rebellious boy wanting to be different from the mass to a young man with a bit more common sense. The dude was a dickhead through and through for most of the story and even if, by the end, he seemingly accepts having to leave the 'zoku life, he never comes across to me as having become more wise.

World Trigger volume 9
vMwc.jpg

Another great volume with more great battles, both the ones that came to an end as well as the one that started.
I felt bad for Replica getting cut in half. Previews at the end implies Replica is done for but I hope that isn't true.
By now my opinion of World Trigger has grown pretty high. I'd call it one of the better shonen going.

World Trigger is really good. It's a shame that the mangaka has health problems :/
Even more unfortunate how it had to go on hiatus right when so much hype was going on. Miss it so much.

UQ Holder 137

Whoa, I didn't actually expect this to confirm which girl won in Negima.

redlemon

Where do you guys read manga?? I like physical but I'm starting to lose patience... so I want some online options.

I mostly buy off comixology and Bookwalker since they have weakly sales. Bookwalker also have coupons fairly often which will stack with an on sale books. If you want to buy manga digitally though you need to get a nice tablet though.

Mob Psycho 100 ch 100.1

Man, it really feels like this might be the last chapter.

I like where this is going...but yeah, it could be reaching the end. I mean, this was Mob's end goal from the beginning, so it would make sense, and after he dealt with the president guy, I don't think they can bring in a new, more powerful psychic. It is obvious that Mob is top of the pile.

Bowl0l

I mostly buy off comixology and Bookwalker since they have weakly sales. Bookwalker also have coupons fairly often which will stack with an on sale books. If you want to buy manga digitally though you need to get a nice tablet though.
Comixology is Amazon? If yes, how do I find coupons?

Chase17

Robot x Laserbeam is actually really damn good so far. I'm digging it.
*fist bump*
World Trigger is really good. It's a shame that the mangaka has health problems :/
Yeah it is. Hopefully whatever it is won't be something that effects him long term when he gets back, but that could be wishful thinking.
We Never Learn is bad though. It's the most generic rom-com with the stockiest stock characters to ever be stock.

MC = Generic, unassuming type. But he's a nice guy, so all the hottest girls in school are practically frothing at the mouth to get at his D

I don't like the series but I do find it hilarious that the MC's goal is financial stability.

A.J.

Banned
Yeah it is. Hopefully whatever it is won't be something that effects him long term when he gets back, but that could be wishful thinking.
Unfortunately he developed and has been suffering from Cervical Spondylosis for the past few years. It's why I'm hoping he can switch to a monthly schedule so his condition dosen't deteriorate as badly with the smaller workload.

Zweizer

Banned
Grand Blue ch36

It's amazing how much they manage to inadvertently screw up this badly, lol. That mirror burn was incredible. Iori is gonna have a rough time ahead, as always.

Code:
[img]https://s3.postimg.org/nbxkqrxar/tit_01.png[/img]

That's titcist.

Tejina Senpai ch51

Maa-kun sure has a fertile imagination. Then again, so does Assistant.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.1

Guess the final boss is himself.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch566

lol, talk about being petty.

rrvv

Well I found it more interesting than Nisekoi. and Nisekoi can survive 200+ chapter

JulianImp

Well I found it more interesting than Nisekoi. and Nisekoi can survive 200+ chapter

I haven't read that other manga you speak of, but I don't think "more interesting than Nisekoi" is that much of a tall order. That stuff was lots and lots of absolutely nothing going on and tons of ridiculous plot devices to maintain the status quo (Raku falling asleep right before Onodera all but confessed to him at the beach? seriously?). Watching the anime adaptation of it has basically been enough dumb harem antics to last me for the rest of my life.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, cute faces though...
And, i wonder if the tankoubon receive to love ru treatment (aka, nipple), that could explain tankoubon rank (i kid, i kid, it mostly because it manage to get the same audience that love nisekoi)

Grand blue 36
That mirror and right tit jokes is fucking amazing. Dear god, the wait for the next chapter is going to be painful

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, cute faces though...
And, i wonder if the tankoubon receive to love ru treatment (aka, nipple), that could explain tankoubon rank (i kid, i kid, it mostly because it manage to get the same audience that love nisekoi)

Grand blue 36
That mirror and right tit jokes is fucking amazing. Dear god, the wait for the next chapter is going to be painful

I doubt that. We Never Learn isn't all that lewd. I mean its more lewd than Naruto or something, but its nothing like Yuragi (which does have uncensored volumes).

upandaway

I haven't read that other manga you speak of, but I don't think "more interesting than Nisekoi" is that much of a tall order. That stuff was lots and lots of absolutely nothing going on and tons of ridiculous plot devices to maintain the status quo (Raku falling asleep right before Onodera all but confessed to him at the beach? seriously?). Watching the anime adaptation of it has basically been enough dumb harem antics to last me for the rest of my life.
At the time Nisekoi was first being published, Jump was doing this thing where it was throwing a ton of romcoms into the mag (if I remember right there were Harisugawa, Pajama na Kanojo, Koisome Momiji...), and they all dropped pretty much immediately except Nisekoi. maybe because it was such a novel concept to have a romcom without any lewd in Jump (and the art was crazy good) and that fact clicked with people

I stopped reading it regularly somewhere after ch100 but still checked in from time to time

Well We Never Learn will face it's second trial with Cross Account joining the lineup next issue. Since nothing so far indicates that CA will try to go down the lewd harem rom-com route, so it must be going down the *pure harem rom-com route and try to take WNL's spot.

Well We Never Learn will face it's second trial with Cross Account joining the lineup next issue. Since nothing so far indicates that CA will try to go down the lewd harem rom-com route, so it must be going down the *pure harem rom-com route and try to take WNL's spot.

Yeah wnl isn't like a break out hit it's just doing well enough to not get instantly canceled.

Angry Grimace

At the time Nisekoi was first being published, Jump was doing this thing where it was throwing a ton of romcoms into the mag (if I remember right there were Harisugawa, Pajama na Kanojo, Koisome Momiji...), and they all dropped pretty much immediately except Nisekoi. maybe because it was such a novel concept to have a romcom without any lewd in Jump (and the art was crazy good) and that fact clicked with people

I stopped reading it regularly somewhere after ch100 but still checked in from time to time

I recall Harisugawa ended because the author legit couldn't come up with more than 30 chapters of material.

JulianImp

I guess, but to me Nisekoi is still a generic harem romcom that doesn't do anything noteworthy at all. The way the non-lewd setting deviates from other harem series doesn't really warrant being called novel, IMO.

I'm also really into character development, which is why I find it really vexing when a series tries so hard to maintain the status quo it even resorts to ass-pulls, such as Raku's pendant getting lost for a while first and then breaking and getting sent away for repairs.

Even then, I honestly don't get the importance of who Raku made that childhood promise with, and how the series even had three main girls all have their own keys that might or might not have opened the locket. I mean, I get the whole thing in Japanese culture about the red string of fate, but it's kind of laughable how Raku was supposed to care more about whoever he made that promise with so long ago over who he liked in the present. Then again I havan't read anything from the closing arcs were ships began to sink until Raku decided who he'd be with, but I'd say that spending so freaking long delaying things for the sake of milking the series really soured me on it.

JulianImp

JulianImp you've thought about this more then the mangaka did

Heh, you're probably right... and that's pretty sad. I get that it's common for manga to be written on the fly to afford authors more flexibility and make it less likely that they have to scrap or rewrite stuff merely because they originally wanted to put character A on a bus/fridge but s/he was way too popular among the fanbase.

I really wonder how I'd go about writing a story on the fly, since you're likely to be forced to stretch things as much as possible if it becomes popular, or wrap as many plot threads up as possible before it's unpopular and about to be canceled.

phaze

Didn't he decide anyway it didn't matter who was the promised girl in the end ?

Soma Current

RIP

Grand Blue 35

That ass.

My shelf space for books is almost gone, due to getting Biscut Hammeer 1-8 for cheap and 3 more JoJo Hardcovers for a reasonable price. Time to either move some of the series that I will never complete elsewhere or buy/build a new shelf.

Zweizer

Banned
7 Seeds ch152

Finally another translated chapter, whoo! At this rate we might catch up in 20 years.

Tell me about it. At least they're cooperating with each other for now, despite the occasional jab. Again Arashi is so close to Hana, yet so far.

Flying Witch ch34

Sure is a nice senior, and yeah, Makoto is a bit too chill with the whole magic stuff.

Hungry Marie ch12

Sure must be unbearable for Taiga to barely miss the plush like that.

Touhou - Another Lunatic Kingdom (SFW doujin)
Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to Touhou 16. The next person who makes fun of Hecatia's t-shirt needs to be shot (with a non-danmaku bullet), because it's easily the greatest piece of clothing from the series. Her being a maternal figure to Clownpiece is a natural fit, but I'd give Junko more credit than to be lumped together with the fairy as a giant flaming vegetable. Plus I agree with her philosophy, revenge really is the most fun.

Arabesque

Born to be on air! volume 1
tMwc.jpg

This one starts with a bang and only keeps improving as the story goes along.
Minare has an explosive personality, no matter if she's sober or drunk and I was already adoring her during her drunkard outbursts in the first few pages. By the end of the volume I loved her.
My only complaint is that the volume ends just as things start to really get good and some more drama starts to take place.

I was confused at first when I seen the name different from my copy of volume one (Wave, Listen to Me), until I realised you were reading from the French version haha

I really liked what I had read from volume 1, though I loved her from the end of chapter one lol it was a good way to hook me into the story, though I still volumes 2 and 3 to pick up later.

World Trigger volume 9
vMwc.jpg

Another great volume with more great battles, both the ones that came to an end as well as the one that started.
I felt bad for Replica getting cut in half. Previews at the end implies Replica is done for but I hope that isn't true.
By now my opinion of World Trigger has grown pretty high. I'd call it one of the better shonen going.

Brah

*High five*

The Invasion arc is where the series ends up hitting its stride, and the conclusion is where it starts to showcase what makes it special. It's all up from this point on.

Next volume has one of my favorite moments in the series too.

Even more unfortunate how it had to go on hiatus right when so much hype was going on. Miss it so much.

Ashihara's condition is at least improving a bit from what the last we heard from him. So hopefully we get more news soon.

It's not a really bad spot to stop at, considering. The series restarting serialisation at a new match is pretty good way to reintroduce it.

But it does hurt that right after the best match and the best string of character/world building chapters that developed more of the cast and introduced some important lore, we end up with a hiatus. Couldn't be helped, but man :(

UQ Holder 137

Whoa, I didn't actually expect this to confirm which girl won in Negima.

Akamatsu did reveal it when the Negima special edition box came out, which is why the reveal this chapter came out to me as a little weak.

Nice that we did get confirmation on the whole Timelines and what UQ Holder is to Negima.

Shame that Akamatsu decided to do it in this manner!

UQ Holder would have benefited greatly from not having anything to do with Negima, given how uneven it has been between the Shonen Adventure Battle manga Akamatsu wanted and being Negima 2.0

Kaguya 67

Damn that was brutal. I am rather confused by Ishigami actions.

Ishigami's position is that he doesn't care for Iino herself, and might actually think she's annoying and bothers him by being so strict and inflexible with the rules.

But even so, he can't help by at some level sympathise with her being made fun of, partly because of his own circumstances, and partly because she works so hard and so diligently in a lot of demeaning or hard tasks, he doesn't want that hard work to be laughed at.

It's a really cool moment because I think this is the first time we ever see Ishigami display some form of compassion to someone outside of the student council. He's usually all snark and self deprecating about everything, and anti-social to boot. But ever since Shinomiya helped him with his studies and shown him that she's on hist side regardless of what other say (even standing up for him), he's changed ever so slightly.

The thing I appreciate about Kaguya is that the series evolved from the initial premise into being something more. It's still a romcom at its heart, but it went on to allow its cast some growth and each arc recently is having some consequences and changes to the status quo.

Helps it stays funny too.

Zweizer

Banned
(NSFW) La bian - Beautiful Magic Story (One-shot) by Shiduki Michiru

A series of three shrot stories, featuring some common story themes with a yuri twist. They tend to be somewhat typical romance and not all that raunchy, with most of the risqué aspect being nudity, but they're a fun read nevertheless.

Magi

Yeah, way to ruin the manga. Surprise, surprise the obviously evil generic villain is indeed the final villain. The entire manga was setting up Sinbad and now he's been talked no jutsu'd into being good again. Talk about underwhelming.

Top Bottom