• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Arabesque

In retrospect, it makes her ending in Negima kinda better I guess since she's less of a shut in and more of Negi's special counsel/girlfriend.

Just that Akamatsu didn't mention that and just said "Chisame stayed at her home and did stuff, bye"

In retrospect, it makes her ending in Negima kinda better I guess since she's less of a shut in and more of Negi's special counsel/girlfriend.

Just that Akamatsu didn't mention that and just said "Chisame stayed at her home and did stuff, bye"

Which was odd, because the original timeline Asuna was shown in picture form had her become his most trusted advisor, along side Chachamaru.

Makes me wonder what happened to her uq holder timeline.

Arabesque

Which was odd, because the original timeline Asuna was shown in picture form had her become his most trusted advisor, along side Chachamaru.

Makes me wonder what happened to her uq holder timeline.

She ends up as being that in both timelines (Negima and UQ Holder) but it's they way Akamatsu left the detail in the epilogue and went with the "Chisame is a hikikomori now, everyone else got stable jobs and went on to fulfill their dreams, but she's a shut in, later!" ending that rubbed me the wrong way.

Overall, the difference between the happy ending (Negima) and the True ending (UQ Holder) is that Asuna goes back in the happy ending to allow Nagi being saved, and both Setsuna and Konoka end up marrying in Negima while in UQ Holder they become Magi Magister together.

And the world is shittier in UQ Holder, I guess, cause Negi didn't save his dad.

My only issue with Chisame winning was that she wasn't even a top 5 focused on girl until the magic world arc when she suddenly became the second most important character for a large chunk of the series.

True, but that's still like half the manga. I think that's enough time to justify it.

Its better than what happens a lot where the first girl introduced is the winner in the end, no matter what happens throughout the whole series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My only issue with Chisame winning was that she wasn't even a top 5 focused on girl until the magic world arc when she suddenly became the second most important character for a large chunk of the series.
Akamatsu has a type.

True, but that's still like half the manga. I think that's enough time to justify it.

Its better than what happens a lot where the first girl introduced is the winner in the end, no matter what happens throughout the whole series.

I mean both are bad

Main girl introduced in chapter 1 wins at the end, many other girls added "why even bother adding a harem other then to be filler"

Girl who wins isn't introduced or made relevant till half way through the story "why even bother having harem shit in the first half"

If you wanna do harem shit introduce like 3-4 girls in chapter 1 so the illusion exists that any of them can win before

Akamatsu has a type.

This happens

Arabesque

I mean both are bad

Main girl introduced in chapter 1 wins at the end, many other girls added "why even bother adding a harem other then to be filler"

Girl who wins isn't introduced or made relevant till half way through the story "why even bother having harem shit in the first half"

If you wanna do harem shit introduce like 3-4 girls in chapter 1 so the illusion exists that any of them can win before

Sure, but the way it went down was that Akamatsu wanted to do an action series, got talked out of it and into doing another harem series, had Asuna as the designated love interest at first, then as the series progressed he decided to make into an action series anyways. And then Asuna got kidnapped and written out for the story for like a thousand chapters and a half, which made it impossible for her to end up with Negi naturally.

Had more planning went into the series making the genre shift it had, he probably wouldn't have introduced a cast of 35+ characters from the get go, but he just threw the idea of making it into the series he wanted half way through the run.

Sure, but the way it went down was that Akamatsu wanted to do an action series, got talked out of it and into doing another harem series, had Asuna as the designated love interest at first, then as the series progressed he decided to make into an action series anyways. And then Asuna got kidnapped and written out for the story for like a thousand chapters and a half, which made it impossible for her to end up with Negi naturally.

Had more planning went into the series making the genre shift it had, he probably wouldn't have introduced a cast of 35+ characters from the get go, but he just threw the idea of making it into the series he wanted half way through the run.

I understand the negima genre shift shenanigans, still it was apparent the direction the series would go like 15 chapters in when the first main wave of kiss cards got introduced chisame should have been one of them.

I'm glad Asuna didn't win simply for the fact that she's his aunt. That's creepy as fuck.

While I liked Yue, I'm fine with Chisame being the winner here. They actually had the appropriate amount of development for it to be believable *glances at Naruto and Bleach*. For UQ Holder it had damn well better be Kirie.

Taruranto

Magi

Yeah, way to ruin the manga. Surprise, surprise the obviously evil generic villain is indeed the final villain. The entire manga was setting up Sinbad and now he's been talked no jutsu'd into being good again. Talk about underwhelming.

You just wait, the author will reveal Alba still is in control and evil and then she'll reveal Sinbad was behind her before the story circles back to David again.

Nordicus

Oni ga Deru ka Ja ga Deru ka 2

Wooow, okay, so parts of this Yamato Nadeshiko routine were completely faked. Protag now officially feels insulted
7HhIU6L.jpg
Wonder how long the bitterness will stick

Thud

Magi

Yeah, way to ruin the manga. Surprise, surprise the obviously evil generic villain is indeed the final villain. The entire manga was setting up Sinbad and now he's been talked no jutsu'd into being good again. Talk about underwhelming.

I resigned to the fact that black clover is a better magi than magi.

Tokyo Ghoul :re Ch:128: These last couple of chapters have really had me on the edge of my seat, and not in the normal way. The suspense of it all is killing me.

Ippo Ch1182-1183: Woah.
And damn it! A Hiatus. Here's hoping George Morikawa gets better soon!

I resigned to the fact that black clover is a better magi than magi.

Black Clover can't even sniff the highs of Magi

Sinbad was always gonna get redeemed, you don't give the super popular character his own spin off manga/anime just to see him die the villain.

MCD

Anyone read Yomawari Sensei? Shit is depressing.

It's about a teacher trying his best to save lost and abused children.

Get your tissues ready.

Thud

Black Clover can't even sniff the highs of Magi

Sinbad was always gonna get redeemed, you don't give the super popular character his own spin off manga/anime just to see him die the villain.

The sinbad manga is best because the dungeons tie in with his personal journey and setting up his alliance.

Only thing worth much in magi is Alibaba.

Lain

The sinbad manga is best because the dungeons tie in with his personal journey and setting up his alliance.

Could you be anymore wrong? Probably not.

Like, you're totally forgetting Morgiana's feet.

barber

Alibaba is better than Sinbad but sinbad's manga is better.

Ippo well didnt expect him to rise up but god damn that was a clubbering

Fairy Tail I don't remember the author being that bad with resurecting people in Rave Master, what happened for him to resurect everyone?!

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch567

The kind of strength one should aspire to.

Akagi ch298

Guess his business with Akagi isn't over yet.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch17

Guess things will be more lively with these new companions.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch28

Should've picked a more even match, like rock-paper-scissors or something. I expect Meimei to smooth over everything though, as the new true protagonist.

imokwiththis.jpg

Vampire-chan × Junior-chan Pixiv Oneshots

They're wife and wife after all. No need to be shy!

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch36

Weird that a botanical garden like this doesn't display some note for each plant.

Dansan Joshi ch36.1-36.5

Every chapter I read, I get the sneaky suspicion that Mizu Asato got onto a crusade to push as far as possible of what can be shown in a shonen magazine.

Murenase Shiiton Gakuen 28

I'd like to join Zweizer in hailing Meimei as the new true protagonist of this series. Long may her reign continue. Can't say I'm as invested in the club room showdown as either she or Lanka is, but maybe it's just shallowness on my part because there aren't any cute kangaroo girls at the forefront. Nah, that can't be righ--

Ok, maybe it is.

Arabesque

I understand the negima genre shift shenanigans, still it was apparent the direction the series would go like 15 chapters in when the first main wave of kiss cards got introduced chisame should have been one of them.

I'm sort of 2 minds on this. Yes, I think it would have worked more in story to have her be among the first who got close to Negi during the first wave of Pacto cards, but at the same time I think that seeing the relationship develope later on after the series undergoes major changes makes it more refreshing, because it shows that Akamatsu wasn't beholden to the earlier premise and rules he set to the point he would stop the cast from growing in an unexpected direction, be it individually or together.

I think if I were to make a broader point about harem/romcoms, it would be that sticking to the designated love interest regardless of how the story progress and if there is a couple with a much better chemistry and interaction is ultimately harmful to the series, on both the cast and the plot. This doesn't usually matter because not many mangaka actually care about the story being anything but fun or fan service laden, but on the occasion where a series that is harem(-esque) comes along and has more effort placed in the narrative, its better to let the central cast members be able to grow closer to the side cast members, and even for the main characters to grow apart if the direction of the story flows that way. Just because the start of the series had the main female lead show up doesn't mean everything in the middle till the end is pointless.

There's also how the quality of writing for female characters in the genre is usually bad (and the writing for the central male character isn't that much better) but that is a different discussion.

I'm glad Asuna didn't win simply for the fact that she's his aunt. That's creepy as fuck.

While I liked Yue, I'm fine with Chisame being the winner here. They actually had the appropriate amount of development for it to be believable *glances at Naruto and Bleach*. For UQ Holder it had damn well better be Kirie.

Yeah, but she was more like his ancestor Aunt, so the blood relation was somewhat distant. Didn't make the pairing work any better though once it was revealed.

I was partial to Nodoka myself, but Chisame being the one is okay with me to be frank. It's just that I wish this happened in the pages of the manga then rather than now.

But maybe Akamatsu was avoiding making it a clusterfuck *looks over at the reactions over Bleach and Naruto's endings*

Wait, when?

November of last year was when he let it slip and people picked up on it.

I'm sort of 2 minds on this. Yes, I think it would have worked more in story to have her be among the first who got close to Negi during the first wave of Pacto cards, but at the same time I think that seeing the relationship develope later on after the series undergoes major changes makes it more refreshing, because it shows that Akamatsu wasn't beholden to the earlier premise and rules he set to the point he would stop the cast from growing in an unexpected direction, be it individually or together.

I think if I were to make a broader point about harem/romcoms, it would be that sticking to the designated love interest regardless of how the story progress and if there is a couple with a much better chemistry and interaction is ultimately harmful to the series, on both the cast and the plot. This doesn't usually matter because not many mangaka actually care about the story being anything but fun or fan service laden, but on the occasion where a series that is harem(-esque) comes along and has more effort placed in the narrative, its better to let the central cast members be able to grow closer to the side cast members, and even for the main characters to grow apart if the direction of the story flows that way. Just because the start of the series had the main female lead show up doesn't mean everything in the middle till the end is pointless.

There's also how the quality of writing for female characters in the genre is usually bad (and the writing for the central male character isn't that much better) but that is a different discussion.

As I said before you're damned if you do damned if you don't with harem elements in a series be it a straight romcom or a major element of an action series like Negima. My bigger problem with Negima's harem elements is that our protagonist was a 12 year old boy and his love interest were 14 year old girls. As the characters are written in a vacuum Chisame winning is perfectly fine with me, it's more a personal prefrence that I wish she had been a tad more relevant during the earlier arcs. Think how the series handeled chachamaru, around with various levels of relevance far before she became a major player in the negi harem.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, i gotta give it to Akamatsu. For once best girl win

Anyone read Yomawari Sensei? Shit is depressing.

It's about a teacher trying his best to save lost and abused children.

Get your tissues ready.
Sound good, i'll give it a read

Arabesque

As I said before you're damned if you do damned if you don't with harem elements in a series be it a straight romcom or a major element of an action series like Negima. My bigger problem with Negima's harem elements is that our protagonist was a 12 year old boy and his love interest were 14 year old girls. As the characters are written in a vacuum Chisame winning is perfectly fine with me, it's more a personal prefrence that I wish she had been a tad more relevant during the earlier arcs. Think how the series handeled chachamaru, around with various levels of relevance far before she became a major player in the negi harem.

I think that is fair. Had the series planning were more through, it would have been much better, but I think this result is okay.

Yeah, but she was more like his ancestor Aunt, so the blood relation was somewhat distant. Didn't make the pairing work any better though once it was revealed.

She's still his aunt, but she's just a lot of years older than him (technically) through time shenanigans. She's still Arika's little sister, who is Negi's mother.

I think that is fair. Had the series planning were more through, it would have been much better, but I think this result is okay.

I hear ya, though I do think it related back to Grimace's point earlier the mangaka clearly has a type he likes and makes those girls the winners of his series.

Met My Sister On A Dating Site 5

Yeah, that confirms the original chapter 1 ending is still to come. As are they. After Video Rental Shop 2, I keep imagining Kana in the background of each of Mochi's scenes suffering near catastrophic blood loss.

Zweizer

Banned
New Game! ch43

A year goes by fast. Well, they haven't changed much.

Beastars ch31-32

Juno on the prowl. Looks like most actors are now more or less aware of the situation.

On a side note, I rather liked the carnivore circle. It's another concept that could only happen in this kind of universe and demonstrate how much thought it went into to make them coexist.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous ch24

So Majins are extreme chuuni?

AKB49 ch222

They're certainly doing things in a flashy way. Skydiving sounds pretty effective at changing ideas at least, lol.

phaze

Grand Blue 36

This is misunderstandings done right. One of the funniest chapters I've read in a while.

We Never Learn 6-16

This is more lewder than I thought after those first chapters. And sadly deep down in romcomy stuff already which isn't particularly engaging so far.

Taruranto

Terra E Part 2 and 3

All things considered, this isn't homoerotic as it could possibly be given the author.

The anime was more faithful to the manga than I thought. I think the computers' role is more clear in this version however. Also Shiroe... isn't a mu this time? Just a person with a strong will apparently.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grand Blue 36

This is misunderstandings done right. One of the funniest chapters I've read in a while.

We Never Learn 6-16

This is more lewder than I thought after those first chapters. And sadly deep down in romcomy stuff already which isn't particularly engaging so far.

I don't think it's all that lewd at all.

Angry Grimace

Chisame won pretty hard.

Negi turned down an OT3 with Nodoka and Yue for it.

Well now, that's only sort of true. She wa sintroduced very early, with the reveal of her double life as boring student and net idol. Then she sort of is in the background till the festival arc, where she gets her pactio and becomes more a main member of the cast. Then for the magical world arc, she was the main female character for quite some time, once reintroduced.

By the end, it was pretty clear that only Nadoka, Yue, Chisame, and Chachamaru really had a shot.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Chisame winning isn't out of left field at all if you read Negima. Asuna was the main female character, but by the end it would have been weird if Negi x Asuna hooked up and she stopped showing up in the Magical World in favor of lots of other characters. Chisame was one of the main ones.

Well now, that's only sort of true. She wa sintroduced very early, with the reveal of her double life as boring student and net idol. Then she sort of is in the background till the festival arc, where she gets her pactio and becomes more a main member of the cast. Then for the magical world arc, she was the main female character for quite some time, once reintroduced.

By the end, it was pretty clear that only Nadoka, Yue, Chisame, and Chachamaru really had a shot.

For sure those 4 were really the only 4 with a serious chance to win at the end. I do remember the early net idol stuff during the "I'm pretending this is still just a harem" stuff. Just thinking back to when I first read Negima when everyone got scattered for the magic world arc I was initially surprised it was Chisame Negi got lost with and once Chachamaru joined I figured negi would get a harem jrpg team at a decent clip. IIRC it was basically those 3 with chisame dominating the screen time for almost 100 chapters before the big rerunions started happening.

I mean, Chisame winning isn't out of left field at all if you read Negima. Asuna was the main female character, but by the end it would have been weird if Negi x Asuna hooked up and she stopped showing up in the Magical World in favor of lots of other characters. Chisame was one of the main ones.

If you had someone stop before the magic world arc and asked who would be your top 5 girls to win the harem chisame would not be in that spot. Of course that arc is half the series so she does get massively catapulted.

This conversation is just reminding me how awesome Negima is I want to reread it now.

Angry Grimace

For sure those 4 were really the only 4 with a serious chance to win at the end. I do remember the early net idol stuff during the "I'm pretending this is still just a harem" stuff. Just thinking back to when I first read Negima when everyone got scattered for the magic world arc I was initially surprised it was Chisame Negi got lost with and once Chachamaru joined I figured negi would get a harem jrpg team at a decent clip. IIRC it was basically those 3 with chisame dominating the screen time for almost 100 chapters before the big rerunions started happening.

If you had someone stop before the magic world arc and asked who would be your top 5 girls to win the harem chisame would not be in that spot. Of course that arc is half the series so she does get massively catapulted.

This conversation is just reminding me how awesome Negima is I want to reread it now.

I mean, sure, but a lot of characters got massively pushed in the magic world arc that weren't pushed at Mahora at all. Chisame was by far the biggest of those - she went from side character to one of the central characters.

Arabesque

If you really think about it, Chachamaru won anyways even with Negi ending up with Chisame because he still sees her to recharge her battery and the 2 work long periods of time with each other.

Guess in the end, the reality of automation triumphs over the feelings of the human girls.

I do remember us talking about this before and how the list did get narrowed down to those 4 (plus Luna/Shiori) because those were the ones that Negi's had the biggest interactions with/shown the greatest sign of affection towards.

So it made sense for the final pairing to emerge from that point.

Well, okay, but even tough I get your point of view here, it is still ridiculous to ignore the Magic World Arc because it takes over the entire series and changes the direction of the story so drastically, even the sequel series of the manga is based on the idea on what is the conclusion from that arc lol

It's why just going on based on what is mentioned at the start of a romcom/harem, e.g. pairing is introduced and everyone assumes it has to happen because First Girl Always Wins Damnit or somesuch. The story changes as it goes on, and the cast and writing at times undergoes changes that not even the author is able to control. This isn't exclusive to romances either.

You should anyways lol

Well, okay, but even tough I get your point of view here, it is still ridiculous to ignore the Magic World Arc because it takes over the entire series and changes the direction of the story so drastically, even the sequel series of the manga is based on the idea on what is the conclusion from that arc lol

It's why just going on based on what is mentioned at the start of a romcom/harem, e.g. pairing is introduced and everyone assumes it has to happen because First Girl Always Wins Damnit or somesuch. The story changes as it goes on, and the cast and writing at times undergoes changes that not even the author is able to control. This isn't exclusive to romances either.

You should anyways lol

I'm not trying to ignore that arc since it IS the best arc in the series and as you mentioned it's the basis for what happens in UQ Holder. For me it's just nitpicking since you could retroactively throw out most of the pointless harem/romcom shit to try and build up the other girls and the overall story with Chisame winning wouldn't change. That complaint is true of any harem/romcom which is why my ideal harem/romcom is 3-4 girls in episode/chapter 1 and it's almost a mystery series of "who'll win" and not "oh it's gonna be xxxx lets see all the fuck about the prevents the confession for years". Negima in the world of harem stuff is interesting in that it did essentially do this introducing 30 girls in chapter 1 which was obviously too many to give them all balanced screen time though I think Ken did a damn good job all things considered. In my perfect nitpick world Chisame would have been part of that very first wave of pactio girls during the 2nd/3rd arc (do we count pre eva stuff as a separate arc from eva as the antagonist around chapter 15?)

I'd love to watch a good anime adaptation of Negima in preparation for the UQ Holder anime

:(

Life is simply unfair

Top Bottom