• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Devilman vs Hades ch.1-15 by Go Nagai & Team Moon
latest

So, cross overs between different properties by Go Nagai are pretty much a given, and the idea of Devilman and Mazinger crossing paths has existed before. While the title says Devilman vs Hades, there might as well be a "vs Great Mazinger" bolted onto the end because this manga, from the fifteen chapters currently translated, is very much leading up to that. Even so, this crossover is one that has been fairly entertaining, as the story is both primarily focused on Devilman himself and puts some thought into the set up for why these two universes would collide. Turns out, Hades or the Emperor of Darkness is literally a god of death that presides over multiple dimensions and armies, the Mycanae being one of them.

The story is set right after the events of Devilman (the war between the Demons and Devilman ended), and right before the final battle of Great Mazinger (Dr. Hell leading the Mycanae Empire). The first chapter wastes no time in showing that Akira Fudo has not become any less violent or reckless since Miki's death as he goes on a war path through the underworld in search of Miki's soul so he can be with her again. The result is Hades' palace, minions, and wife Persephone getting destroyed, which prompts Hades himself to leave his army with Dr Hell to deal with Devilman's rampage, and the souls of humanity that had been killed by demons are brought back to life in a horrifically broken state. This is pretty much the focus for the first two volumes as a lot of crazy shit goes down, including what is possibly the biggest and most awesome version of the Jinmen yet (the conclusion to the fight also being quite spectacular). Brief glimpses of the Mazinger universe are given, but the third volume starts the actual crossover part of the story in earnest as Akira must now destroy Great Mazinger and Tetsuya Tsurugi if he wants the opportunity to have Miki brought back to life.

Really, the thing that had me hooked more than anything on this manga was the art. It has a different feel from what Kinutani Yuu did for Amon and Strange Days, where the art on the characters in particular I felt had some similarities to classic Shin Megami Tensei visuals while still resembling the designs Nagai had come up with before. With this, Team Moon injected a near lethal amount of hot blooded action into the visual style to make near every page look metal as fuck. There are plenty of moments to be had where there's no dialogue for 2-3 pages and just painstakingly detailed scenes of hellish destruction. It's largely fitting for what the source material was about, but it gets somewhat weird when the Mazinger characters are thrown in as it highlights the difference in tone and style both series actually have despite originating from the same writer and illustrator in the '70s. Like I almost had a double take when I saw what Kouji looked like due to the design of his hair.

Overall, anxious to see where this continues, especially as at the time of this write up the fight between Devilman and Great Mazinger's almost about to start. As a manga designed as a 40th anniversary celebration of mangaka's best work, Devilman vs Hades remains exciting to read and doubles as probably my favorite Go Nagai cross over series.

mdubs

Banned
Silver Spoon 123

Wow that was some nice development between Hachiken and his father. Very nice.

Also back on hiatus again, come onnnnnnnnnnnn

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Beastars 1 Aight I'm in. And boy this is somehow still not what I expected. But I am honestly really in the mood for some dumb teen drama and romance(?) with a weird twist.

Beastar 2-19 What even is this? I though there would be a lot more punching and badassery and a lot less highschool romance. Like... despite people posting about this all the time, I am still shocked about what this is. But I can't look away or stop reading....

Nantasu no Taizai Well this is a bit of a predicament.

Promised Neverland Yeah yeah revelations and all that but who cares when I CALLED IT! Sure not 100% but I was close enough to call it mine. *does a little dance*

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Black Lagoon ch. 90

Mm, really don't feel this conversation needed a full (well, "full" - it's only 14 pages long) chapter. Also really don't feel we needed a breather chapter so soon after this came off hiatus.

Will have to reread this arc once it's complete. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon

Arch Nemesis Hiatus again. God fucking damn it.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Beastar This is weeeeeird. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it is so tonaly weird. Mostly this last arc, it's dark, but not committing to being dark, but I also don't want it to be dark because that's not what I want. I want more dumb romantic adventures on top of a roof and less lone wolf vs lion mafia!!!

I can't believe I just said that out loud, Jesus what even is this manga.....

prison school 222 - 242

Finally starting to catch up with this now that the competition is done. Things aren't looking so good for Kiyoshi right now.

casiopao

Fairy Tail 554

Ok...so... Is there like, a law in Japan that Shonen manga needs to have a shitty ending ?

Bleach was shit
Naruto was shit
Fairy Tail was shit
Kuroko no basket was shit
Death note was shit.

One piece is probably going to be shit 25 years from now.

Toriko is not that bad lol.

Black Cat, Full metal Alchemist and Zatch bell also had lovely ending.^_^

Mostly sucks though. Even Yu Yu Hakusho suffer from that same problem hiks.

Shimabukuro Memories of Oda-san

Nice story of the toriko's journey with Oda, didnt know they were friends like that. Nostalgia. Though I never heard of his other manga.

Robot x Laserbeam 17

What a boring color page.

Zweizer

Banned
Kingdom ch525

I wonder if Bananji will fall here.

New Game! ch48

They've changed quite a bit, outwardly at least.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch20

Jeez, such a merciless world.

Witch Hat Atelier ch5

Coco sure knows how to get herself in trouble.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch15

Immature owner, immature pet. Now if only Yugami could use these methods for himself.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous ch26

That's one insanely disgusting power, and insanely disgusting law that they're trying to uphold.

BLack Clover

Finral is like 2nd best BLack Bull, hes always amazing .Leo was just as stunning too!

Promised Neverland

Where did people get parallel worlds of different dimensions from? Surely it seems like its just a physical split/vast ocean or something of that sort between a human area on earth and a demon area on Earth, I dont see supernatural extraphysical stuff dimensions traveling occurring...

Food Wars
DE8eV43XUAID9cq.jpg:small

OMG we got a panel with the 3 best characters in this manga on the same panel!!!! And look at Kuga, after looking down at the start he has been reinergized by team soma's allies. Good by Tsukasa, it was nice knowing you!

upandaway

Sesuji wo Pin 29-36 (preliminaries first round)

This manga really makes it easy to smile while reading. It feels so nice. I'm not really sure how the other first years got 7 points in the quick step when they stood still the first 15 seconds but sure. I'm satisfied.

PoliticiansCheaters are scum, Fujiwara deserved everything she got.
I didn't think she's actually THAT cheeky to go for it twice. She got put down though.

Taruranto

Sugiru Juunana no Haru

This was adequate I guess for a short horror story. The resolution wasn't particularly impressive, but it kept me engaged until the end.

Toukei Ibun

This was horseshit on other hand. Seriously, there wouldn't even have been a mystery if
they had shown us the third dog asap.
And that ending LOL, suddenly
the apocalypse
? What the hell was that about?

bjork

What's up with that manga about the weirdo mom that pushes the cousin off the cliff? Is it one of those "these chapters kinda come out whenever" schedules? I feel like it's been out for 4-5 months but only has 9 chapters so far.

Sugiru Juunana no Haru

This was adequate I guess for a short horror story. The resolution wasn't particularly impressive, but it kept me engaged until the end.

Oh I was like that art looks extremely familiar, or course it is done by my 2nd fave BL artists though it doesnt appear she penned the story, which is sad, as I cant do suicide + non BL with two male leads. deceptive cover.

Onideki 20
That escalated _______. My recollection of this series is generally pretty hazy, but I think the MC's been revived at least once, so there may still be hope for the big big sister. I'm not touching the survivor's bizarre sociopolitical philosophy.

JulianImp

Helck - Ch98b
Don't say it, baka!

The longer this despair spot goes on, the more confidence I have that things will get better. Too bad things are too serious now to have Piwi save the day.

Slow Motion wo Mou Ichi Dou - Ch35
Most obvious set-up ever, but whatever works, I guess.

It's My Life - Ch1
Looks like this could be a fun and comfy series, so I guess I might as well start reading this now that I'm done catching up with TWGOK.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BLack Clover

Finral is like 2nd best BLack Bull, hes always amazing .Leo was just as stunning too!

Promised Neverland

Where did people get parallel worlds of different dimensions from? Surely it seems like its just a physical split/vast ocean or something of that sort between a human area on earth and a demon area on Earth, I dont see supernatural extraphysical stuff dimensions traveling occurring...

Food Wars
DE8eV43XUAID9cq.jpg:small

OMG we got a panel with the 3 best characters in this manga on the same panel!!!! And look at Kuga, after looking down at the start he has been reinergized by team soma's allies. Good by Tsukasa, it was nice knowing you!

Tsukasa has a 0% chance of losing to Kuga.

Mei no Maiden 1
Speaking of Kakegurui, here's another series about an unhinged gambler, though the stakes she plays for are, uh, kinda different. She doesn't quite have Yumeko's charm, the setup is comparatively lacking and there'll be less tension since the premise basically demands that she doesn't lose. Still, the game + ruses in this (lengthy) opening chapter were entertaining enough that I'll keep a lazy eye on it.

Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 1

I decided to buy this series on a whim since the omnibus versions were all pretty cheap on Amazon, and wow this series is oldschool as hell (obviously). I actually can't remember the last time I saw the "falling over when someone says/does something stupid" this much. Also the "anime" faces are ones I don't see very often either.

Pretty basic magical girl stuff as far as the story is so far, but one thing I do have to note is that it's pretty difficult to tell what's going on sometimes when they try to do an action scene. There's a lack of any shading on the clothes and CLAMP loves to do those swirly wind/water effects, and all of it kind of blends together way too often. Another issue I have is how much blank page space there can be sometimes, especially when there's very little dialogue per page. I know this is a thing a lot of manga do too, but this seems pretty egregious considering this was a monthly series I wouldn't expect it to be Bleach levels of nothing per page. I guess considering this is CLAMP though they probably had other series running at the same time too, so I guess I won't fault them too much for this one.

Chase17

One Piece 872
So we are fully in the getaway phase now. Bege is amazing, that sign was great.

Wonder what is next for Gangster Gastino now that he has his heart back.

HxH 364
Really good chapter. One second cutting of an hour is crazy. Makes me reevaluate the Yorknew arc that just finished up on Toonami. Seems like Kurapika will be ready to die once he gets the last eyes. Wonder if it will go that route though. The rest of the Troupe storylines seem to be picked up by Hisoka.

Can't wait for phone call mind games next week.

Robot x Laserbeam 17
Pretty boring CP. Slightly better than the last one since they one at least did something with the background lol.

It was nice to see Robo shook/struggling through the most of this chapter. I think he probably turned it around a bit too quick though. His deadpan responses to the crazy (dumb?) stuff he does is pretty funny to me. Seems like we may jumping to a Rion match next? That would be nice.

I'm glad they demonstrated that Robo can't just immediately copy the emperor's lob shot, that would have been lame. Even if he came up with a workaround really fast at least it's slightly creative/high risk lol. Just needing to do a safe shot would have been preferable though.

I do worry about the copycat thing going forward though, and hopefully he realizes he can't have Robo do that too much this early on. In Kuroko, Kise only got the hang of it in his penultimate match, and he became completely broken haha.

MHA 145
Nice chapter. Kirishima was on the weaker side of flashbacks for me in this series but it was still pretty good. Seeing Fat gum payoff punch was great.

Curious why the last two chapters have been short.

Promised Neverland 47
As far as twists to explain the world could go, I rather liked this one. Wonder if Minerva is a descendant of the guy who made the deal or something. I need a map to understand how the world is split up though. Thought we'd find out why demons like human brains so much/need them to be smart.

Black Clover 117
I'm enjoying this arc. I'm not sure but I think Sekke is the guy who always trolls Asta. Hope he makes a run in the tournament. Finral has always been a pretty good black bull so I'm glad he will get his own story going. Also we got the Jojo part 4 guy wipe away space move.

Wonder if Yuno/Noelle will get significant matches/plot on the way or if they will cruise through.

We Never Learn 23
I think the message Ogata's father left on the bottom of Yuiga's food gave me the biggest laugh of the series so far. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting it at all.

Dr. Stone 19
Chrome is "baaad" (meaning great). He seems like a very good replacement for Taiju in a lot of ways. Guess we will be shifting into curing the sister (who is the leader or something?).

orochi91

(NSFW) The Orc Bride by Nishin

An elf warrior gets captured to save his brother and modified for the sake of orcs. Gore fest ensues.

This one is pretty disappointing, as I was hoping for a touching tale of love beyond racial differences going by the cover, instead of gratuitous mutilation. Oh well.
I can't remember the last time an H-Manga made me want to puke, but holy shit.

That was extremely disturbing.

At least they mercy-killed him at the end...

T_T

(NSFW) The Orc Bride by Nishin

An elf warrior gets captured to save his brother and modified for the sake of orcs. Gore fest ensues.

This one is pretty disappointing, as I was hoping for a touching tale of love beyond racial differences going by the cover, instead of gratuitous mutilation. Oh well.

Dammit Zweizer

casiopao

Kimetsu no Yaiba 70

Ohh boi. Time to go for cross dressing and red light district arc lol.

What's up with that manga about the weirdo mom that pushes the cousin off the cliff? Is it one of those "these chapters kinda come out whenever" schedules? I feel like it's been out for 4-5 months but only has 9 chapters so far.

Trails of Blood? Chi no wadachi i think is the title. The artist is doing so many job which is probably why it is so slow.

new game 47 - 48

Lol, she sure is nervous showing off her game. Though I guess I would be too. Surprised she didn't show Umiko first though.

Cardcaptor Sakura Vol. 3

I suppose Clamp's style has evolved a lot since this originally came out but man so many of the adult side characters just look like super generic shoujo manga characters with their pointy ass chins they could put an eye out with. Kind of a shame since the color pages look fucking great, but there doesn't seem to be as much effort put into making that carry over to the black and white artwork.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Sekai Oni - fin.

Basic set up here is you have a young girl, Azuma, who leads a messed up home life. She suffers so much she's developed a condition ('Alice in Mirrorland syndrome') where she's starting to see things in reflections. Then the stuff she's seeing - bizarre looking monsters - start wrecking havoc in the real world. Soon enough she's pulled in through a mirror to this other world where she and a few other troubled individuals are asked to fight to keep their world safe.

So it's a battle manga. Except it's also a psychological drama. As well as a really funny, really dark-humored comedy. With these horror elements on top. It's ... a lot of things, actually. It all sort of works, too, just not all the time. The first third or so of Sekai Oni is pretty wild though - it's very unpredictable, with its twists and random violent outbursts, and hits the reader with some super over the top fights. It goes from bad to worse to worst case scenario one right after the other and I found myself pretty into it.

It does lose a step as it pushes on, but there's enough new revelations so that I never got bored, at least. The main antagonist is pretty fun as well. Unfortunately, dude's art doesn't really keep up. It's only ever serviceable, and I felt like he was coasting as it went on. Sometimes he'd frame some things well, or come up with a dope design, or fill in a little extra detail, but he never really pulled it all together often enough.

And yeah, there's some real schlocky material at play. While some of it actually works, like the sex addict who loses her cool after being repeatedly turned away (which very suddenly turns the story upside down early on), some of it is also pretty fucking dumb. Azuma being a basket case could've easily been reworked without the more extreme pieces of her home life. Then there are some characters introduced later who are poorly utilized and the ending, well, I guess I didn't mind it, but it's hardly the most satisfying sendoff.

So, basically, this is kind of a mess and I probably wouldn't recommend it - but it was also creative and weird enough that it kept me mostly entertained. It's one of those kind of reads.

bjork

Trails of Blood? Chi no wadachi i think is the title. The artist is doing so many job which is probably why it is so slow.

Yeah, that's the name. I was totally blanking on it, heh. I like that art, but I didn't know there was more than one series being worked on by that person.

Usobuko

Banned
My Hero Academics and The Promised Neverland are the only ones worth a read in the recent Jump offerings right?

I'm too old for shounen craze these days.

redlemon

Dark Horse are having a half off sale on comixology today which includes their manga. Some good series there like Oh my Goddess and older CLAMP stuff.

Top Bottom