• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Zweizer

Banned
Any great new manga that started this year?

Melancholia by Dowman Sayman
Reiraku by Inio Asano
Goblin is Very Strong by Salamander
Moee-chan wa Ki ni Shinai by Takayuki

Saotome Girl, Hitakakusu

Girl muscles.
1362075317_birdmanthisishowwedohandrub01.gif

Say no more i'm in.

Have you read Danberu nan kiro moteru? yet?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seven Deadly Sins I'm actually a little disappointed in this fight, a little because Escanor's final form (while not surprising) is kinda lame, a little because part of what makes Escanor's fights so entertaining is his smack talk, a little because this fight is a little needless in the grand scheme of things. Oh well, double chapters this time and I always appreciate those.

Dr. Stone Wow we're just skipping a lot on the tech tree here.

Promised Neverland Things went better than expected.

Beastars I am such a sucker for this kind of melodrama. And the symbolism of the lights <3

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 616

Well, talk about writing yourself into a corner.
If she is seriously upset by that, it's dumb, because it goes against her character.
If she ain't, the whole last few chapters of drama feel dumb.
Dumb if you do, dumb if you don't.

Shokugeki No Soma 228

That exhaustion thing is pretty common for battle manga, but it sure doesn't work in a cooking setting. High stamina and being in top-form day after day are some reeeeally basic requirements to be a quality chef, so the top-3 being this fatigued and unable to continue the next day makes them look kinda weak.

Zweizer

Banned
Beastars ch47

That was pretty crafty of Juno. Too bad for her Legosi's mind is set.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.9

On the bright side it has to have mended these two's relationship a little.

Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen ch28

Well, at least he doesn't care about his junior at all. Satsuki on the other hand.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch57

Iinuma used to be such a sweet teen. Shame.

Shokugeki no Soma ch228

They've got a strategy in mind at least, even if it's not a particularily glorious one.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch616

That's one way to rush things along I guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Hero Suddenly Proposed to Me, But

A short LN adaptation about the Hero who defeated the demon king falling in love with the Princess's handmaid. Not quite as fluffy as you'd assume. The Hero is violently overpowered to the point he can cause natural disasters simply based on his mood (because the spirits emulate his emotions), so everyone assumes his lack of emotion is his suppressing his emotions to avoid natural disasters occurring. What they don't realize is that the Hero literally has no emotions at all because he is a full-blown sociopath who is completley empty inside; the natural disasters are just because the spirits he's blessed with were also fooled by his pretending to have emotions by emulating people around him.

Except now for some reason he's legitimately into the random maid. Which mostly sucks for everyone. Including the maid. The biggest problem is that the maid isn't the interesting character, it's the hero and why the only emotion he has is being infatuated with the maid, but most chapters so far revolve around the maid refusing the Hero and trying to avoid him. Her being super slow on the uptake that the Hero being interested in her puts her in grave danger of both the hero and external forces is sort of annoying also.

Numb

School Shock

Enhanced soldiers battling it out
The whole thing is just one big plot.The MC spends most of the manga being in the dark and it can get really really REALLY annoying so there's the warning. But there is ofc a point to this.
If you can't handle casual murder then skip this. The action is good and art decent.

also

14709388_967608050011451_6492331465815097344_n.jpg

Melancholia by Dowman Sayman
Reiraku by Inio Asano
Goblin is Very Strong by Salamander
Moee-chan wa Ki ni Shinai by Takayuki

Have you read Danberu nan kiro moteru? yet?

Tried it
Too much muscle focus and guys too
Not about that life

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
World's End Harem

Even the second protag is already rejecting the women. Well, unless they emotionally manipulate him.

Angry Grimace

Ai o Kudasai 1 - 5 END

Probably the standard teacher student relationship series that keeps things with the reasonable boundaries for the genre, meaning they do nothing more than kiss until after graduation and even then due to the awkward and surprising kiss theyve done nothing more than that in the months following graduation. Still I liked how the teacher, Kurosawa was definitely going at a pace that Mamoru preferred. The make out scene did feel a bit rushed due to the timing but it was still cute and I liked to how Mamoru was smiling during it. Cute.
DI AEBiog.jpg:small

2nd story was just an excuse for the writer to draw some r18 content and I wish Itou had actually been involved instead of running from the club.

3rd story was 2nd best as even though there was no r18 content, the fact the student managed to befriend a popular novelist (he didnt know) was actually good. I especially loved the rice balls moments but also the scene when they parted ways. I wish we got more of them.

Good BL manga collection.

Do you really need to be warned to stop posting pics of dudes getting blown or fucking every few months? Slowly ratcheting it up every time you get warned doesn't work and is kind of a tiring cycle. People read GAF at work.

Seven Deadly Sins I'm actually a little disappointed in this fight, a little because Escanor's final form (while not surprising) is kinda lame, a little because part of what makes Escanor's fights so entertaining is his smack talk, a little because this fight is a little needless in the grand scheme of things. Oh well, double chapters this time and I always appreciate those.

I wasn't disappointed in the fight itself but yeah his new form is eh. Not Luffy Gear 4 bad but still. Can't deny though, I was hype when Escanor stomped out Meliodas even in his Ten Commandments form. Fully expecting a Revenge Counter next chapter to also jack up Escanor and put him out of the upcoming fight though.

FlowersisBritish

I wasn't disappointed in the fight itself but yeah his new form is eh. Not Luffy Gear 4 bad but still. Can't deny though, I was hype when Escanor stomped out Meliodas even in his Ten Commandments form. Fully expecting a Revenge Counter next chapter to also jack up Escanor and put him out of the upcoming fight though.

He honestly reminds me of Abigail from SFV, so i think it is a style of macho character i just don't care for. Also i think Mel is fully jack, then Liz comes in for the heal and the I love you and its all good. That said, i was surprised at how much i enjoyed evil Mel. My big dissapontment really comes from there being more punches thrown than sick smack talk.

Chase17

Rorouni Kenshin Jinchu Arc
a4e1f703db3905d01f9eedb14a69f93d.jpg

A far cry from the tone of the Tokyo arc
After the jump in quality from Tokyo to Kyoto I figured the series would kind of settle in, but instead the Jinchu arc exceeds Kyoto in quality. The Jinchu arc takes on a darker tone, provides strong character development, and giving the series a satisfying ending (or ending Kenshin's arc I guess).

The flashback is pretty strong. We know Kenshin was once a killing machine, but the first time you see him bring his sword down a splitting someone's head is pretty shocking. Towards the end of the flashback the whole losing his senses thing was odd at first, but the payoff was great. I think the Kenshin/Tomoe relationship is done fairly well.

The six comrades were less interesting to me than the 10 swords but get the job done. After they were dealt with I was surprised with how depressing the story got! Usually I'm not a fan of
death fake outs. But I think the "death" of Kaoru allowed the story to go to such interesting places that I'm more than ok with it. Plus it would have been a little too much for Kaoru to really bite it right after learning about Tomoe
. This leads to very interesting developments with the rest of the main cast that I'll get to in a bit. I'll just say that I think the whole Kenshin's low point section is handled extremely well. And the moment where Kenshin returns to save Yahiko, who is doing everything he can to protect the village, is among the best scenes of I've read in a jump series.

Yahiko's development throughout this series is pretty much as good as I could ask for from a protege character, and he has some huge breakthroughs in this arc. Kenshin entrusting him to defeat one of the comrades, defending the village while Kenshin is gone, and receiving the sword in the final chapter are all great moments. But the best part of Yahiko's character is when he remains the beacon of hope when Kenshin is depressed and Sanosuke leaves. When everyone was at their lowest point, Yahiko staying in high spirits and promising to help everyone heal was very moving.

I was very happy to see Sanosuke's character getting some much needed fleshing out with his own little arc before the final battle. It was interesting to see traces of his past and family. This segment was at the perfect time in the story for his character and it was great to finally learn some more about pretty him. His giant sword made a nice little comeback in this arc as well lol. Thought the story was setting up for him leaving with Megumi but his ending was way better haha.

All right final battle. I thought the four fights before the final battle, while fine, could have been better. At the very least they are quick. The whole fight with Enishi was well done. His gimmick wasn't too interesting to me but it works. I think that his motivations were compelling and found his "redemption" move at the end to be a sufficient conclusion. I thought it was very interesting that Kenshin's power is actually at the decline during this fight and his "peak" was the Kyoto arc. Just kind of a neat twist that's different from what I'm used to from final battles. It's not like you'd know it without Megumi telling you so afterwords though.

Rurouni Kenshin is a series that gets better as it goes and ended (it's original run anyways) at its peak. Has one of the better ending chapters I've seen too. It's a shame that some fans didn't get to see it due to it never getting an anime adaptation.

Went to see what other shonen series Watsuki has made and was surprised to see that they were pretty much flops.

The Ex-Con Ashitaro1-2
Decent lead in to the new arc. I like the new characters and Ashitaro's connection to Shishio/10 swords is neat. Should make for it being interesting when they run into other members. The ending implies that Enishi might have a role in the story which could lead to some compelling story beats. Wonder if Kenshin or Yahiko will be positoned as the lead character. Only one sword to go around! (though Kenshin shouldn't be able to do some of his moves by now).

All right, I wrote way too much again. Excited for the Hokkaido to start! Might continue 90s jump series kick and jump into YYH or Slam Dunk next.

Jinchu is the best arc of the series and the only reason it doesn't get the love it deserves is that it wasn't animated like the shishio arc was.

Big One

Banned
The only thing I disliked about the Jinchu arc is how over the top it got with the shonen antics. Aside from that most of it was ace. I actually beleive the flashback in the Jinchu arc is one of the best shonen flashbacks ever written, beating even some of the better One Piece ones.

FlowersisBritish

The only thing I disliked about the Jinchu arc is how over the top it got with the shonen antics. Aside from that most of it was ace. I actually beleive the flashback in the Jinchu arc is one of the best shonen flashbacks ever written, beating even some of the better One Piece ones.

The flashback was the only thing i really enjoyed in that arc, everything else was waaaaaay too over the top for me.

Isn't kenshin the series with a guy who lights his sword on fire then stabs it through his love interest before burning to death because his body over heats?

FlowersisBritish

Isn't kenshin the series with a guy who lights his sword on fire then stabs it through his love interest before burning to death because his body over heats?

Yeah, that's reasonable and lowkey. I saw a dude do that with his girl last week, only instead of a sword it was a spatula and instead of his body it was a grill.

I thought the last arc of Kenshin was really good and I also don't get why it gets the flak it does

My ONLY complaint with it is that the 4 minions the rest of the cast gets to fight are basically the same guy copy and pasted. I really enjoyed getting to see the main 4 supporting fighters get a chance to have a big shonen fight in the end before the final battle.

Chase17

My ONLY complaint with it is that the 4 minions the rest of the cast gets to fight are basically the same guy copy and pasted. I really enjoyed getting to see the main 4 supporting fighters get a chance to have a big shonen fight in the end before the final battle.

Yeah, they try and give them each a defined gimmick to differentiate them but it is not really enough.

I think Aoshi, Yahiko and Sanosuke all have pretty at least one really good fight earlier in the arc but Saitou could have used a more compelling one here.

I've said before that Jinchu was alright.

Characters like Aoshi and Yahiko really elevated that arc tbh.

i really liked the quarrel about exhuming Kaoru's body since it came from a place that's understandable but also unclear enough to breed skepticism

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've said before that Jinchu was alright.

Characters like Aoshi and Yahiko really elevated that arc tbh.

i really liked the quarrel about exhuming Kaoru's body since it came from a place that's understandable but also unclear enough to breed skepticism

I really liked the arc. Sure it had parts that were more shonen than what came before, but it also had parts that were far darker. I think it was a good way to end the series thematically, even if the execution wasn't exactly perfect.

Notice of Game Service Termination (One-shot)

SrUX431.png

A human and zombie reflect on their virtual time together. I was expecting something similarly hilarious to the author's 'What would you do if you were to die tomorrow?' but suffice to say, I didn't get it. I shouldn't stereotype zombies, but I question how they managed to piece together the braaaaiiins to create such a game. Or how they're capable of blushing. Well, I suppose their portrayal here isn't much different from humans with stitches. Read this if your username starts with a Zwei, otherwise you're not missing much.

Zweizer

Banned
Notice of Game Service Termination (One-shot) by Ajiichi

Yeah, it's nowhere as interesting as What would you do if you were to die tomorrow?, but it was a decent effort at playing around with social games and zombies.

Dynedom

Just fucking animate the final arc in Kenshin pls

You don't even have to reboot the whole series. Just continue the shit a la Inu Yasha.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Saotome girl 1-9
Girl with ABS and MADZ boxing skill fall in love with a regular joe (okay, he's not as beta as other MC from another harem manga, so i let this one pass). Cuteness happen.

Kaguya wants to be confessed to 76

Ishigami too strong. Nerf plz

Golden Kamui 111

So, the current story arc is about Sugimoto and co trying to stop a convicted criminal from fucking a brown bear. Yeah, this story is hardcore. It never really stopped being boring. everytime we think that the author can't top the current arc, he manage to outdo on the next chapter.

Fbh

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer: All of it

A few spoilers ahead.

This was recommended to me on here quite some time ago. I finally got to read it and absolutely loved it.
Great characters and humor and a really entertaining story. The art does also continue to improve and it's pretty great in the later chapters.

I loved how the setup is basically a generic Shonen with lots of Shonen cliches. But the characters and specially the way the story plays out is really unexpected and just keeps surprising you.
You get this character which looks like he will turn into the main sidekick of the two protagonists but then he dies pretty suddenly and expectedly. Then comes his brother and is introduced in a way that makes you think he is like the generic evil sibling but nope, turns out to be one of the coolest and funniest characters. You have this character secretly working for the bad guy but instead of some melodramatic reveal you have some members of the cast know about it and accept it, telling him to find his own answers.
Unlike other Shonen mangas where it mostly focuses on 2-3 main characters here everyone get their time to shine and feels relevant. For the vast majority of the story it's not the main character who is the strongest or smartest, even once he gets pretty strong the leader of the group is someone else or the one with the most powerful ability is someone else.

It just takes the setup of so many other stories : mostly young cast, they get powers, have to save the word, male main character and female main character are into each other.
But then it takes those elements and makes them feel fresh and unique.

Man...how does this not have an anime adaptation ?

Anyway, I saw that the same author has some other mangas. Anything worth getting into?

Deadly

Just fucking animate the final arc in Kenshin pls

You don't even have to reboot the whole series. Just continue the shit a la Inu Yasha.
I'm still amazed they haven't done this after cashing in on the 3 live action movies. It must be because of that New Kyoto shit that, probably?, flopped (with reason, it was fucking terrible)

Jinchu is great stuff. I agree that the comrades were easily the weakest part of the arc. The Sanosuke-centric chapters are just so great though. It was also cool having Aoshi doing ninja-things

Hiko and Anji are so fuckin OP when you think about it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer: All of it

A few spoilers ahead.

This was recommended to me on here quite some time ago. I finally got to read it and absolutely loved it.
Great characters and humor and a really entertaining story. The art does also continue to improve and it's pretty great in the later chapters.

I loved how the setup is basically a generic Shonen with lots of Shonen cliches. But the characters and specially the way the story plays out is really unexpected and just keeps surprising you.
You get this character which looks like he will turn into the main sidekick of the two protagonists but then he dies pretty suddenly and expectedly. Then comes his brother and is introduced in a way that makes you think he is like the generic evil sibling but nope, turns out to be one of the coolest and funniest characters. You have this character secretly working for the bad guy but instead of some melodramatic reveal you have some members of the cast know about it and accept it, telling him to find his own answers.
Unlike other Shonen mangas where it mostly focuses on 2-3 main characters here everyone get their time to shine and feels relevant. For the vast majority of the story it's not the main character who is the strongest or smartest, even once he gets pretty strong the leader of the group is someone else or the one with the most powerful ability is someone else.

It just takes the setup of so many other stories : mostly young cast, they get powers, have to save the word, male main character and female main character are into each other.
But then it takes those elements and makes them feel fresh and unique.

Man...how does this not have an anime adaptation ?

Anyway, I saw that the same author has some other mangas. Anything worth getting into?

Spirit Circle and Sengoku Youko are both great and in my opinion better than Lucifer and biscuit hammer.

Tomo-chan ch.617
Chances of Tomo getting mad when Misuzu tells her? Fairly high.

Devilman vs Hades ch.17 [FINALE]
So much shorter than I expected, especially with it ending on a cliffhanger. Devilman beat Great Mazinger and absorbed his engine, and went back to Hades to use its power as a bargaining chip to ensure Miki's resurrection. But the most amazing part about this chapter was the explanation behind Great's increase in power and how it still managed to move after the fight: A Grendizer cameo, where Duke Fleed agrees to outfit Great with a Photon Quantum engine. It was a detail I greatly appreciated as I did not think they'd pull anything past Great Mazinger but it was cool to see.

The only things left at the end of this manga are questions about what's coming next for both universes, as Great Mazinger still works despite being destroyed at first glance, and the final battle with Hades ends with a megaton of a cross counter. Somehow though with the short length of this manga, I don't feel bad about the cliffhanger it goes off on, because it still remains as explosive and intense to look at as every chapter prior. Fantastic art, great fight scenes, it is still the best Go Nagai crossover I've seen to date. It's not drawn out, nor is it too short to be in a rush to get to the good stuff. It's just so damn fun all the way through.

Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu Ch11: It got even better! xD

Watashi no Shounen (Takano Hitomi) Ch1: I saw this recommended above and couldn't help but find it interesting. Not so much the older person-A possibly being in love with much younger person-B, but more the loneliness of their surroundings, and how that makes them seek out the love and affection that is missing in their lives. Either way, it's a really nice first chapter that sets up everything while also leaving a good amount of room to grow. Also, the art's pretty.

Machida-Kun No Sekai Ch1-16: Pure, fluffy, happiness. That's it. That's the manga. Okay, you got me. It might also have a subtle underlayer about how others can often see the best in you, even when you can't.

Zweizer

Banned
Historie ch100

Eh, this flashback isn't that interesting. Shame it takes so long for each chapter to come out.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch22

Impromptu cooking episode. Gotta admit it does look tasty.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen vol.1 Extra

Huh, Jin sure was different. Guess it's Lanka's fault he became like that.

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ch16.5

Text conversations can get pretty complicated. At least most of them are replying.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch617

Watch her get angry.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 0.001
Can we not turn the childhood meeting between the two hatebirds into a thing? Otherwise it just reinforces the frightening inevitability of them getting an ending together. Hopefully the vol 2 extra will be about the time he was kicked by a zebra as a kid.

Top Bottom