• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Chase17

Dr. Stone 25
Made it to electricity in record time. Gen has been a pretty solid addition so far. Guess he can kind of serve as the bridge between Senku and Taiju's sides later on too.

One Piece 877
Best part was Jimbei being lost at the cola operated Sunny.

MHA 151
Mirio is great. Chisaki implying that he has already murdered Eri, then put her back together, before is very dark. Hope Mirio gets out of this ok!

Promised Neverland 53
Glad this series pretty much gets bi-weekly CP's since they are great. Having several thought bubbles be about important matters than the one that was "mmm cookies" was funny. As is the tendency of the kids to jump on Minerva for being a liar. While this could be a test I think it would be interesting to see what they do if they were to get booted out.

Black Clover 123

Turns out that Asta and fake Xerx get along all right. Kirsch went from over the top but all right guy to full blown ego maniac here. While this match has been solid so far I hope we get to Finral vs his brother soon.

Robot x Laserbeam 23
I think Robo will get his birdie so that he meets his goal, but Suzuka will get the eagle to win the match. Off course Robo passing out is probably more likely. Happy that this match is finally going to end.

We Never Learn 29
The angle of that panel, and the history of cliffhangers in this series, tells me that this must have been another kiss fake out. That said I don't think they can really do the Ogata kiss fake out twice so maybe it did happen. Curious to see how they will immediately resolve any fall out from it! Nariyuki being super invested in the movie was funny. Also I guess this is sort of confirmation that Ogata's friend (Asoji?) has romantic feelings for her? (if it wasn't clear before).

Hunter x Hunter 670
This one guy really had to push his luck with the line huh. I hope we get a full face turn from Babimyna later on. Immediately losing all of your blood does not sound pleasant.

Pretty solid set of chapters from HxH. Managed to be very compelling while also setting up later developments in the arc.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Hokkaido Arc 01

Good chapter that reintroduces all of the characters and gets the arc rolling. I'm not sure how I feel about Kaoru's father being the catalyst for the journey, but it gets the job done. Ashitaro picking up those flame techniques. The Sanosuke "cameo" was great.

Saito hype!

MHA Vigilantes 05
Pretty much just threw in every relevant hero from the main series for some reason (and Iida's bro too). Series still hasn't done anything to make it stand on it's own.

A.J.

Banned
Fair point. Which one of you guys can kinda draw? I can kinda write. Together, we can take JUMP by storm and doom ourselves to a miserable life working all the fucking time!

You just have to work to the point where you are popular enough to take hiatuses all the time.

Viz Shonen Jump 9/4/17

Dr Stone 25

I'm surprised Gen is still around, I figure at some point he has to go back to Tsukasa for fear of raising suspicion if he stays away too long watching science marvel after science marvel. I wonder if Chrome realized that Ruri must know of Tsukasa's sciene world as well based upon his reaction on the final page.

One Piece 877

Starting to think Karakuri will be the main foe Luffy fights when the strawhats finally take on Big Mom. Would leave Sanji and Pudding to tag team Big Mom, or perhaps Jimbei as the traitor will be the one to finally finish her. Pedro's chance of being dead for good is 1%, my guess is he'll be saved by Pudding and he'll show up with her down the road. Also I'm starting to wonder if Carrot is gonna become a full member of the crew since she got that speech from Pedro and has had some lines about seeing a bigger world.

Seraph of the End 61

This whole "battle against god" plot line is concerning since the whole handling of the dad being the real villain was handled so poorly and our leads for the most part have no connection to that plot line. At least the action was decent and Ferid is back.

My Hero Academia 151

Mirio isn't gonna die, he's going to lose his powers for good. This will put Deku in a situation to be guilt tripped by Nighteye into needing to decide if he wants to pass one for all to Mirio who is more deserving. The fight with overhaul has been excellent liked the stuff with the cape.

Promised Neverland 53

My gut says this is a test but it also seems so obvious that maybe this will be played straight and he is just not willing to share after seeing his friends fail.

I already posted my thoughts on food wars last page

Black Clover 123

Disappointed that this guy just became another "eww peasents" royal :| can we give royality more then one character dynamic please

Robot x Laserbeam 23

Tied on the final whole in a practice match where win lose or draw robo looks strong *yawn*

We Never Learn 29

I can't wait to see the way the series weasels out of this deliberate kiss by Ogata into back to status quo.

Hunter x Hunter 370

Sucks about the upcoming hiatus but these moments of 4d chess are when hxh really shine.

Ruroni Kenshin Hokkaido Arc 1

Slightly annoyed that within one chapter Kenshin already has picked up his classic sword. So much for that retiring the blade nonsense and passing on the legacy... ain't nobody got time for that in the sequel. That aside it was a strong reintroduction to the characters and world of Kenshin and boy have I missed it.

Lain

~~~~HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!~~~~~

No it's not a YOTSUBA chapter.

It's Shonen Jump's 50th anniversary universal manga competition.

Entry Period
Jun. 22nd 2017 - 23:59 p.m. to Jan. 5th 2018 (JST)

Prize
・Grand Prize: ¥1,000,000 and Serialization in Shonen Jump (Print or Digital)
・Runner-up: ¥300,000 and Serialization in Jump Plus or in a special edition of Jump
・Finalist: ¥50,000

Submission Details
・Any genre allowed
・One-shot no longer than 55 pages
・Must not have been published in any commercial magazine or on any commercial website
・Must be black and white
・Text must be horizontal
・Panels should be read from right to left

Languages
Japanese, English, Korean, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Russian, French, and Spanish

I entered something I finished last year since it fit the requirements...I don't know if I can finish something else by Jan. But it'd be great if a NeoGaffer won.

My entry if anyone's interested---it's about a lesbian trapped in a reverse harem til she meets a demon caterer.

Time for Panda to send some 4koma and win first place.

Also Extollere should totally enter.

Shuichi Shigeno, author of Initial D, is releasing a new racing manga called MF Ghost. Apparently Ryosuke Takahashi's name is mentioned so it might take place in the same universe as Initial D, but set in the near future and might involve remote/self driving cars. The protagonist will drive a GT86
DIqBXIvVYAEQDsL.jpg:large

Shuichi Shigeno, author of Initial D, is releasing a new racing manga called MF Ghost. Apparently Ryosuke Takahashi's name is mentioned so it might take place in the same universe as Initial D, but set in the near future and might involve remote/self driving cars. The protagonist will drive a GT86

lol, of course he does.

Goblin is Very Strong 8
Friendship between monsters is wonderful. I'm surprised at the effectiveness of transformation magic against Wasabi, she'd better hope that forehead doesn't start considering it as a battle strategy. Also called it about the grimoire, though Mimit ended up with a better prize anyway.

Goodnight Punpun 102-110

I keep going back and forth on liking, hating, and thinking these characters are fucking nuts. After the end of the 4th volume I kind of expected an immediate downward spiral for them, but it's been a lot more gradual than I expected and I can't help but be uncomfortably anxious when I read a new chapter now.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I think it's very interesting in this regard that during the last round they explained every dish to some degree except Rindou's. We know hers was good enough to beat Megashima, but that's all we know. I feel like the writer is definitely trying to intentionally obscure her true skill level for some reason, which leads me to believe she's better than Tsukasa

Yeah, Rindou is totally true final boss material.

Mousou Telepathy Ch439: Friendship between girls is a beautiful thing.

Kurenai no Senkan Ch2: Erm... what!? Did he just ward off a battleship by waving the Japanese flag half-naked...

Zweizer

Banned
Goblin Is Very Strong ch8

There sure were lots of good timings this time, but good that it turned out for the opposite of a tragedy. I do wonder if Wasabi is going to build a harem, considering that she seems to be interested in Aki as well.

Friendship between monsters is wonderful.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord ch7

Good thing this is a yuri manga then!

However, cheating is bad. If you're to build an harem, better make sure all parties involved are okay with it!

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch628

Which one would you pick? The flighty Carol, or the serious Carol?

'Twas a trick question: all the Carol are good!

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch210

He's honestly a bigger creep than Murakami.

Arabesque

so kenshins hokkaido arc is finally gonna start

The first chapter was pretty good.

I still need to get around to read it more throughly, but it was a pretty nice start to the new series. Definitely a great way to start the manga again while including the new cast and their conflicts.

(Watsuki's comment re: how the movie/stage play gave him the inspiration for how to tackle the Hokkaido arc was also interesting, but I need to look a bit more into what got him so moved from them)

jbug617

Banned
My Love Story Vol 13

Wraps up the story very nicely. I wish they would of done a time skip at the end but I'm happy with the way it ended.

Now they need to do a spinoff based on Sunakawa falling in love.

Tomo-chan ch.628
I honestly can't tell which Carol I would've preferred. So long as it isn't crying, I guess it doesn't matter.

Saotome-Senshu ch.18-19
Mito continues to come up with plans to tighten the relationship between those two. Though telling Satoru that the bath is free when it isn't is just gonna lead to misunderstandings, I feel.

Weekly Shonen Jump #41

Robot x Laserbeam (Cover, Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Dr. Stone
3. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. We Never Learn
6. Black Clover
Joreishi Rentarou no Yakusoku (CP, GFC Entry #2)
7. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
8. My Hero Academia
9. Gintama
10. Haikyu!!
11. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Hungry Marie
14. Cross Account
15. Shudan!
Boruto (CP)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~

Weekly Shonen Jump #42
Cover, Lead CP: One Piece
CP: My Hero Academia
Special Chapter: Kochikame
One Shot: Raven Burai (GFC Entry #3)

I'm going to assume the next round of new series will be 3, I'm going with Hungry Marie being the survivor of the axing group. Chances are it already sells better then Spring Weapon (Not one of the 3 vols released ever ranked).

Chase17

Guess the Shudan renaissance won't be happening.

I think it was the two Kirishima chapters that are the two lowest rankings for MHA.

Wonder if they'll be a new batch of series starting after the GFC ends.

DNAbro

Guess the Shudan renaissance won't be happening.

I think it was the two Kirishima chapters that are the two lowest rankings for MHA.

Wonder if they'll be a new batch of series starting after the GFC ends.

weren't the Kirishima chapters oddly short too? the backstory was fine but it felt like it took too long.

Weekly Shonen Jump #41

Robot x Laserbeam (Cover, Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. Dr. Stone
3. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. We Never Learn
6. Black Clover
Joreishi Rentarou no Yakusoku (CP, GFC Entry #2)
7. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
8. My Hero Academia
9. Gintama
10. Haikyu!!
11. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
12. Spring Weapon No.01
13. Hungry Marie
14. Cross Account
15. Shudan!
Boruto (CP)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~

Weekly Shonen Jump #42
Cover, Lead CP: One Piece
CP: My Hero Academia
Special Chapter: Kochikame
One Shot: Raven Burai (GFC Entry #3)

I'm going to assume the next round of new series will be 3, I'm going with Hungry Marie being the survivor of the axing group. Chances are it already sells better then Spring Weapon (Not one of the 3 vols released ever ranked).
Poor shudan but also haikyuu is concerning. Inarizaki deserves love.

Touhou - Akkyun's Perfect Memento Interviews (SFW doujin)
Akyuu finally interviews the LoLK cast, with unsexy results. I'm still adopting a 'I'll take what I can get' mindset for TH15 material, but the humour here was actually reasonably amusing. Those rabbits deserve some sort of accolade for being the least memorable characters in the series. Also anyone who can't appreciate the majesty of Hecatia's fashion sense deserves to be shot into spac- oh.

Chase17

Shudan 11
*team wins a small tournament so inconsequential it only takes up 1/3 of a chapter*
coach: "I think we should enter the all-Japan youth national tournament"

Let's not get ahead of ourselves coach! I'm guessing this next tournament the team will either get crushed by a really good team, or they will do fairly well and the series will end there.

Roku with the big shot here, still waiting for him to get more of a focus like the other two leads.

dani_dc

Attack on Titan 97

This chapter pretty much confirms
that the injured soldier is Eren.
With the flashbacks finished the story will start moving ahead again, and considering how much focus we had on Annie I expect her to be back.
Probably helped Eren to infiltrate.

~~~~HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!~~~~~

No it's not a YOTSUBA chapter.

It's Shonen Jump's 50th anniversary universal manga competition.

Entry Period
Jun. 22nd 2017 - 23:59 p.m. to Jan. 5th 2018 (JST)

Prize
・Grand Prize: ¥1,000,000 and Serialization in Shonen Jump (Print or Digital)
・Runner-up: ¥300,000 and Serialization in Jump Plus or in a special edition of Jump
・Finalist: ¥50,000

Submission Details
・Any genre allowed
・One-shot no longer than 55 pages
・Must not have been published in any commercial magazine or on any commercial website
・Must be black and white
・Text must be horizontal
・Panels should be read from right to left

Languages
Japanese, English, Korean, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Russian, French, and Spanish

I entered something I finished last year since it fit the requirements...I don't know if I can finish something else by Jan. But it'd be great if a NeoGaffer won.

My entry if anyone's interested---it's about a lesbian trapped in a reverse harem til she meets a demon caterer.

Well guess I'll need to persuade my girlfriend to draw for me.

Yankee Shota to Otaku Onee-san Ch1-3: An otaku girl is being stalked by a scary yankee kid. Nothing groundbreaking - so far - but, it does have some golden moments.

Mousou Telepathy Ch440: Never expected him to be the more normal of the two siblings. shocking

Zweizer

Banned
Beloved. ch14

The art, paneling and characterization are still spectacular, and I generally despise age gap romances.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch629

img000001nissj.png

There's a joke to be made here, but I'm not sure what.

Attack on Titan ch97

It's getting pretty interesting. I wonder how this'll pan out.

Binetsu Kuukan ch11-11.5

Guess it's headed towards a romance. Poor Ikuno.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch211

Dude is pretty ageist too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, didn't she have Carol when she was 13? Probably a justified paranoia.

Shiori Experience 21

Oh man Illuminati confirmed.

But who is Ford? I don't know of any musician in the 27 club named Ford because I just looked it up on Wikipedia and he wasn't there

Talking of teen pregnancy

Teen Mom Ch25: I'm not sure a nurse should be bullying a pregnant girl. But, whatever, it makes for good comedy. And it seems the jig might be up!

Oroboros Ch100-105: I've kinda stopped caring about almost everything at this point. I just want to see people get their comeuppance.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo Dorei Majutsu Ch1-22.1: Man this can be dumb, and a bit fan-service-y at times, but it also has its good moments. Mainly when Diablo is being a right Tsun-Tsun.

Ubau Mono Ubawareru Mono Ch1-6.4: Another skill stealer Isekai, but it has its moments. Such as his cause of death and some of the monster designs. I mean, even its description makes me cringe a little: He then obtains a harem of beautiful girls who love him unconditionally even though he shows no romantic interest in any of them and has the physical build of a skinny teenager.

Saotome-Senshu, Hitakakusu Ch20: That first page! Also Satoru with that smooth-charm and those super spy moves. You go, boy!

Someday, We’ll Get There 6

My understanding of this chapter's events is pretty limited, but RIP rhythm game route. Next up, FPS route. Or JRPG route. Or just more frame data.

upandaway

Teen Mom 17

Took a look at this and this series is really stressing me out. Man. It's driving me crazy why won't she tell anyone. Everyone in her life seem like good people. It's her choice whether she tells her parents and that's cool (although from what we saw of them I don't get it at all) but the boyfriend too? he seemed fine to me. I don't get it man, I don't get it. Should've been sleeping 3 hours ago but I can't figure this out. Jane you gotta make her change her mind man. at least tell the dude before the birth, please

Teen Mom 17

I - somewhat half-heartedly - apologise if any of this is my fault.
In all honesty I'm just glad someone is suffering along with me.

I saw a comment a long time ago saying that the MC is basically doing everything you shouldn't do in that situation lol.

I mean... any sane person wouldn't do what she's doing but, so far, as far as I can tell anyway, she hasn't done anything bad. All the decisions are just - a tad - silly and it's just all too stressful!

Sandfox

Teen Mom 17

Took a look at this and this series is really stressing me out. Man. It's driving me crazy why won't she tell anyone. Everyone in her life seem like good people. It's her choice whether she tells her parents and that's cool (although from what we saw of them I don't get it at all) but the boyfriend too? he seemed fine to me. I don't get it man, I don't get it. Should've been sleeping 3 hours ago but I can't figure this out. Jane you gotta make her change her mind man. at least tell the dude before the birth, please

I saw a comment a long time ago saying that the MC is basically doing everything you shouldn't do in that situation lol.

upandaway

Teen Mom

She's using the school tuition to not go to school and raise the baby by herself for a year. Am I going to get any sleep tonight

I - somewhat half-heartedly - apologise if any of this is my fault.
In all honesty I'm just glad someone is suffering along with me.
This is absolutely your fault

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tzurezure Children

Patricia didn't sushi anyone and Keisuke shouldn't be planning how to move out to America with Patricia when he hasn't even gotten to first base with her (despite dating her the entire fucking time) and she explicitly doesn't want to let him get anywhere.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tzurezure Children

Patricia didn't sushi anyone and Keisuke shouldn't be planning how to move out to America with Patricia when he hasn't even gotten to first base with her (despite dating her the entire fucking time) and she explicitly doesn't want to let him get anywhere.
I just watched the latest anime episode and wondered where this happened then I realized this was the mango thread.

Angry Grimace

I just watched the latest anime episode and wondered where this happened then I realized this was the mango thread.

You weren't spoiled on anything good.

Patricia/Keisuke is the worst second only to the girl that wants to bang her teacher, which I find too creepy to even read.

upandaway

Teen Mom 23

KDOyGEv.png

You cheeky little

Also what is this gossiping about pregnant people going to university? No clue what was going on there, my uni had a bunch of pregnant people and it was fine.

Teen Mom 25

Ohhh you're not getting out of this one

Shengar

Teen Mom 23

KDOyGEv.png

You cheeky little

Also what is this gossiping about pregnant people going to university? No clue what was going on there, my uni had a bunch of pregnant people and it was fine.
So it is the series from Thailand Webtoon, figures.

Well, I don't really know how it is there but if my own country to go by, extra-marital pregnancy (and sex, dunno about Thailand on this though) is frowned upon because most of Southeast Asia still have a strong familial bond and kinship.

Good morning guys.
Me and my girlfriend are looking for a manga to read together, maybe something like a "hidden gem" kind of stuff.. do you have some advice? Thanks a lot

Top Bottom