• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

bobohoro

Just ordered my first physical manga, Berserk Volume 1

You might have to look pretty hard for a few volumes if you don't want to spend large amounts of money. Or get lucky with the reprint timing.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 161

The word exchange was a bit too cheesy for my liking, but the final with the time paradox hit pretty hard. Such a good arc all in all, Nagisa is an amazing character by now. Will be interesting to see where it goes next.

One Piece 858

Noooo. I wanted the missing tooth to be permanent.
Laughed way too much at this chapter. Will be total mayhem going forward.

Fairy Tail 525

While reading once Larcade appeared I was like he is going to be off'd. Sure enough he was. Zeref will probably lose and die happily just for the sake of having this fun time with Natsu I bet, though isnt his desire to die anyway, so I dont think we'll see his group win anyway.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch857

Well, that was actually more cordial than I expected, despite the unwelcome guest.

My Hero Academia ch129

Too soon for an actual fight I guess.

Shokugeki no Soma ch206

Not surprised by the reinforcements. It would be funnier if Doujima and Jouichiro participated though.

Hungry Marie ch3

They can communicate between them at least.

Ace of the diamond vol.1

This was absolutely amazing! Ei-chan is such an amazing character. Full of passion and he wears his emotions on his sleeve. His introduction was very impactful(all dem slaps lol) and straight up with these few pages you know what kind of guy he is. I like him a lot.

The way they illustrate the action in the sport is outstanding. The picthing panels are so full of emotions.

The character dynamic is what got me the most though. The small moment where Ei-chan gets in the train and just when the doors closes his friends tell him how they feel....this got me so much.

Loving what I read so far and that volume 1 ending triggered me! I want more!

Ace of the diamond vol.1

This was absolutely amazing! Ei-chan is such an amazing character. Full of passion and he wears his emotions on his sleeve. His introduction was very impactful (all dem slaps lol) and straight up with these few pages you know what kind of guy he is. I like him a lot.

The way they illustrate the action in the sport is outstanding. The pitching panels are so full of emotions.

The character dynamic is what got me the most though. The small moment where Ei-chan gets in the train and just when the doors closes his friends tell him how they feel....this got me so much.

Loving what I read so far and that volume 1 ending triggered me! I want more!

You should check out the anime, some of the additional random comedy moments are gold.

Also because I love Tom-H@ck and Masayoshi Oishi.

DemWalls

Man, didn't even realize Dr. Stone is on Jump. That's a relief, we can get his excellent art without the awful fanservice.

I don't expect the series to last long, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Rindou's ready to cook

joesrNV.jpg

Man, didn't even realize Dr. Stone is on Jump. That's a relief, we can get his excellent art without the awful fanservice.

I don't expect the series to last long, though.

and a coherent story

Reborn got good art for its BD Box release.
C6dDYmTU0AA7ujB.jpg:small

Was a classic back in middle school (the anime had some fun theme songs as well)
If she ever wants to reboot it to fix some of the later arcs I'll gladly read it

Deadly

Shokugeki no Soma
Rindou with her hair tied up goddamn. Raises her up the waifu list. We're finally going to get to see Isshiki in action too. This arc is going to be hype as fuuuuuuuuck.

It'll obviously go 1-1 and then Team Rebels will grab the clutch in the last round

Hero Academia
Deku needs to ditch that mask it looks horrendous

One Piece
It's cool to see Luffy teamup with all the other of the worst generation

Soma 206

That Urara shit is awful. "Hi everyone oh by the way I'm brainwashed evil now and so is the entire audience because magic or something. *makes horrible face to reinforce that she's crazy and evil*"

I know this book isn't huge on interesting character arcs but man is that an insultingly dumb heel turn via the dumbest possible device.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like the twist on the gender bender body switch in Hungry Marie

Soma 206

That Urara shit is awful. "Hi everyone oh by the way I'm brainwashed evil now and so is the entire audience because magic or something. *makes horrible face to reinforce that she's crazy and evil*"

I know this book isn't huge on interesting character arcs but man is that an insultingly dumb heel turn via the dumbest possible device.

She was a joke side-character who was an egotistical asshole from the start. You can't turn heel if you're already a heel.

Sandfox

Soma 206

The entire crux of her character is that she's fake and a fame seeker.

She was a joke side-character who was an egotistical asshole from the start.

Well, that's pretty much everyone the core team competes against, Totsuki's whole deal is to attract this exact type. Urara was never a sympathetic character, it's just silly that now she's graduated from vapid window dressing to evil vapid window dressing in service of....what exactly? It's hamfisted, even for a book not known for subtlety, like the author is just filling space.

Angry Grimace

Well, that's pretty much everyone the core team competes against, Totsuki's whole deal is to attract this exact type. Urara was never a sympathetic character, it's just silly that now she's graduated from vapid window dressing to evil vapid window dressing in service of....what exactly? It's hamfisted, even for a book not known for subtlety, like the author is just filling space.

Why aren't you getting this

PK Gaming

Soma 206

She's a gag character and the author is just poking fun at her and her loser crowd. She's "brainwashed" in the same way that Tadokoro can summon a stand.

You're reading too much into it.

Kyuur

Dr. Stone

Continuing to be great! Loved the wine, distillation bits. I guess they'll go around treating people, maybe will turn into a civilization/factions drama deal?

Hero Academia

I don't know if I'm game for Deku to fall into the "I know this is dumb but innocent lives are stake!" trope all the time. It doesn't suit his calculating character very much.

One Piece

Hilarious! I saw Caesar in the group shot and went "huh, I don't remember that guy in Bege's crew", apparently Luffy was smarter than me in this instance. Completely forgot about him. :lol: Do we know if Jinbe's crew is aware of his plans? I feel bad for Pekoms. :/

cntr

Banned
Hero Academia

I don't know if I'm game for Deku to fall into the "I know this is dumb but innocent lives are stake!" trope all the time. It doesn't suit his calculating character very much.
It's actually not as dumb as it seems, because as Deku points out, imagine how the situation would look to a normal hero who knows nothing about Overhaul? They'd see a girl who's afraid of her dad. Two normal heroes just ignoring that and just walking away would be pretty suspicious, right?

Initial reaction aside, Deku and Mirio were both pretty smart there.

One Piece 858

Great chapter all around. I loved Caesar trying to play off him being someone else and it did the standard namedrop font for that.

BokuHero 129

I wonder if Deku's highly moralistic hero routine will end up getting him fucked.

Soma 206

A L I C E
L
I
C
E

(also Rindou looks hot asf)

Dr. Stone 2

I'm liking this, mostly because Sun-Ken-Rock dude's art is great.

Prison School 244

More dick necks.

Angry Grimace

I know this isn't a big drift for her. I'm lamenting the equivalent of putting horns on her as cheap, bad writing.

in b4 'it's Shokugeki no Cheap, Bad Writing, lower your expectations.'

Its completely in line with her previously established character and she's literally one of the least important characters that has an actual name. She's like one step up from the rabble that yelled at Soma and treated him badly at the beginning of the series. In fact, she IS one of those characters, she just has a name - the majority of the student body are fodder that just go along with everything they're told (e.g. Soma sucks, Tadokoro sucks, Central is awesome, etc.).

Fbh

Dr Stone 2
Still pretty fun. The energetic dude is funny (the bit with him stomping the wine was great).
I guess since they have the ability to turn people back this won't just be a survivial story of these 2 guys. I still think it will eventually turn into an action shonen and they will have some sort of special powers

Attack on Titan 91
Pretty much just showing the new enemies and characters. Not sure I like them going from fighting titans to fighting other humans so quickly. But it will be interesting to see how things unfold since the "bad guys" are shown to be pretty nice people just trying to make the most from their circumstances.
Still, I guess after some fights (and deaths) they will probably team up with Eren and friends

My Hero Academia 129
Not much to talk about.
As allways, I like most characters other than Deku but the events and plot are just nothing special.

Angry Grimace

Training arcs are dumb, I don't know why people actually want to see it vs. moving into the actual battle and flashing back to relevant training bits when it's important.

Training arcs are dumb, I don't know why people actually want to see it vs. moving into the actual battle and flashing back to relevant training bits when it's important.

Not disagreeing with you, but I still didn't expect it to go directly into the competition. Though yeah, flashbacks during the competition is better.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 14 (Kelpie)

I think that's the chapter to really drive in how good this series is. I'm super impressed and I enjoyed this chapter a lot. Just about perfect summary of Dungeon Meshi:

iXzRkrE.jpg

jitsu wa watashi wa 161

All the feels. Hopefully current Aizawa can avoid the bleak future of future Aizawa.
That said, I'm still not sure how future Aizawa just vanished. Unless its one of those complicated time travel things.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 858

I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda liked the missing tooth look. :[ I didn't expect it to stick, but wish Luffy had till the end of the arc or so. Still, another good chapter. The Caesar bit was amusing.

Dr. Stone ch. 2

This is goofy as all fuck but it's working for me. Think I'll keep with it after all.

Prison School ch. 244

Dude's smile at the end while he's rocking a giant boner is perfect.

Fancolors

Dr Stone 2
My guess is that next chapter they will either have turned her back to normal or something will get in the way and our protagonist will have to display his ridiculous strength before doing so, maybe even introduce other humans who were able to break free with equally ridiculous willpower. This premise coupd go so many ways.

Was a classic back in middle school (the anime had some fun theme songs as well)
If she ever wants to reboot it to fix some of the later arcs I'll gladly read it

Reborn! Reborn would be amazing

I miss Yamamoto
Best Char

I was more of a Gokudera guy myself

One Piece 858

"I will join you but first let me punch you"

lol Luffy

Luffy was on point comedy wise this chapter. Loved his reaction to seeing Ceaser

Might be a strange question but anyone listen to any manga-related podcasts? Particularly ones that are broadly focused rather than about a specific series.

Angry Grimace

As someone who had by far the most posts in OT1 it's kind of funny seeing how different this thread is than it was then.

mdubs

Banned
Shokugeki 206

I dig this. But I still want Joichiro to throw down with Azami to show his full power.

This was a good Alice chapter

Also, pony-tail Rindo tho, bless

Jay RaR

UQ Holder 134

Asuna saves the gang...again! At least we know everyone around Negi was real. I did love seeing Yue back kicking ass
but not as a villain
. And are we gonna see a new Kuromaru next chapter? lol

Hayate the Comat Butler 562

Hinagiku to the rescue! It was a matter of time before Nagi released that burst of negative emotions, although that wish was extremely selfish.

Hungry Marie 3

Oh, so that's why the manga is titled like that! Man did I feel silly for not catching it last chapter.

Still feels pretty slow for pacing even though the gender bender switch is an interesting twist but I'm eager to see where the story turns next. Hopefully Marie will have some kinda use other than eating all the time.

cntr

Banned
Dr. Stone 2

Definitely gonna keep up with the series. Art was goofier than I thought it would be, and didn't expect them to have a mini-timeskip already! Makes sense, though. Like the whole analytical theme they've got going on.
Talking about repopulating the earth with two guys in the room, huh.

edit: also, this is like the manga version of that Primitive Technology channel on Youtube.

upandaway

Helck 6-7

Things are starting to heat up I think, hoping for more info on Helck and the angels. Also neat to see Vamirio take a more active role since I like her.

VGv0DZy.jpg

This last bubble really caught me off guard, I was laughing for like a minute straight. You got me.

Nordicus

Kanojo ni Naru Hi 18

Ugh, here comes the trash drama. He gets an offer to work over seas while she finds out she's 8 weeks pregnant.
Kanojo ni Naru Hi 19

Now risk of miscarriage, and industrial spies kidnapping the wife.

Fuck this.

BP9IqLW.jpg

Fuck all of this. Bunch of garbage.

Top Bottom