• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Well apparently in the Fuuka anime adaptation,
Fuuka survives the truck accident. Laughed my ass off after reading the Reddit post about it.

cntr

Banned
Fuuka survives the truck accident. Laughed my ass off after reading the Reddit post about it.
07d.gif

spiritfox

If Shirobako is an accurate representation of the industry, all I have is pity for the animation studio for having to deal with Seo.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch522

Let's hope she splits these two.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch11

Didn't expect him to speak out. At least they made progress.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch27

Welcome to the friend zone!

rrvv

Manga Reader: cannot wait for anime watcher to get trucked
Seo: lol nope
Manga Reader: SSSEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've seen nothing that suggests that. They aren't near it yet.

Usobuko

Banned
The time spent reading Seo's 100+ chapters manga could be used to read like 8-10 very good short series.

But the tradeoff is you'll lose your mangaGaf street creds.

Red Blood Red Legacy 97 - END

Actually though the final arc and conclusion was great especially having it play out in Itsuki's mind. Did wish for a bit more conclusion or epilogue with Hayato (like where did he go)? otherwise closing out the whole racist vampire world and the cure and finally letting people have sunlight again was good.

Overall my second favorite of the MangaBox series. Soon there will be nothing left on ENG MangaBox.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Huh. Could you elaborate?

I really love the premise of the series but have been caring less and less about the twists and turns its taking. This started a while ago when people started turning into Titans as I found that turn of events to be eye rolling and robbed the series of a lot of its tension and horror elements to turn it into a fleshy mecha story. Its only gotten worse as the series has gone on and gotten bigger but not better in my opinion especially the stuff we're at now.

mellow

Imawa no Kuni no Alice [fin]

when I randomly picked this up a few months ago I didn't expect it to end up as one of my favorite manga, kinda thought it would stumble during the last game/arc and have an unsatisfying ending like so many other good series often suffer with..so I'm pleasantly surprised it was the opposite. Great ending. 9/10

hungry marie 3

I wonder what ghost Marie had been doing to his family. They wouldn't even listen to him. That and he can't even go back home unless Marie takes over.

I don't read or watch this. But I know enough for this to be hilarious if true.

kasane

alice final

closure but no closure

fuck off

edit: damn i told you guys seo is the god of manga/anime bow down to your actual god

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can check it at the manga subreddit. Apologies if it's a hoax though!

They changed a lot, but the accident hasn't happened in the anime yet and I find it highly unlikely given the way the anime industry works there's a leak - supposedly Seo says it, but they also changed it so that the entire event leading up to Fuuka's death doesn't happen so it could just mean that they're explaining the reasoning for the filler and changed story arc.

It's lame as fuck if they just took it out since that's literally the series' hook - its not actually a about Fuuka Akitsuki, its a series about a band named after a singer named Fuuka.

Edit: nevermind, they actually did it in this episode and she just doesn't die. The truck happens and misses her.

Usobuko

Banned
Imawa no Kuni no Alice [fin]

when I randomly picked this up a few months ago I didn't expect it to end up as one of my favorite manga, kinda thought it would stumble during the last game/arc and have an unsatisfying ending like so many other good series often suffer with..so I'm pleasantly surprised it was the opposite. Great ending. 9/10

I love this manga.

The breadth and depth of his characters sealed it for me, the ride gets better as the stories progresses.

Zweizer

Banned
Kase-san ch23

So many tears. I wonder if Mikawa's going to get some focus soon, as it's a bit awkward to have her being the third wheel at all times.

Mob Psycho 100 ch98.8

Things are going pretty well.

bobohoro

jitsu wa watashi wa 161

All the feels. Hopefully current Aizawa can avoid the bleak future of future Aizawa.
That said, I'm still not sure how future Aizawa just vanished. Unless its one of those complicated time travel things.

As far as I understood it, future Aizawa disappeard because her confrontation with present Aizawa changed the time line, resulting in a time paradoxon where future Aizawa traveling back in time doesn't exist anymore.
Or something.
Took a few seconds for the realization to hit, but made the moment all the sweeter.

Edit: nevermind, they actually did it in this episode and she just doesn't die. The truck happens and misses her.

You know a story is good if all those following it are dissapointed by this turn of events for the main heroine.

Tomo-chan 522

I really don't like the flow of the series right now.
Even Misuzu is pulling me down.
What's next?
Cotton Candy stealing Jun away in front of Tomo's eyes for some more grief?

Fancolors

Fire Punch 43
Not only the origin of the villain's motivation is a pulpy movie, but so is the protagonist's. Movies are evil everyone, stop watching them lest you want to start a new religion.

MCD

T: Sensei have you ever read any OPM doujin?

A: For me, after I start reading it for a short while, I'm going to be like, no, this isn't right, Fubuki and Tasumaki should've act in this way....No, no this is wrong...and I'll be starting to feel the urge to draw it myself...I have to stop reading I have to stop reading....Hmmm....As for Hentai, if given the chance, I'd like to try it, but I'm not going to draw OPM hentai...OPM with H story...right. I often draw Fubuki and Tastumaki in an arousing way, but there is still a limit to it you know. Drawing H is a one way street, there is no turning back, if I really did it, then I guess it would become the only thing I can draw afterwards. I know for now this type of story line and topics seems to be somewhat successful (T: guess he's referring to Shokugeki no Soma), but in the long run it will be difficult to write a story with a serious plot, since the readers will keep asking for fan service, right? Hahaha. Well I'd still love to try drawing using different art style.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePunchMan/comments/5ygbbm/murata_stream_translation_pt4/?sort=new

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
They're either gonna have to gecko end it, or do a separate anime version of the twist.

You know, for double trolling.

Fuuka is finally doing the confession and the truck backs up and over her. Truly we can hope that was always Seo's original vision.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

That's a pretty on the mark answer all things considered. However I think the more interesting question and answer:

Q: Do you sleep well during the meteor arc?
A: No, hahaha. During that arc I'm only sleeping 3 hours per day. I think I'm drawing for 20 hours per day, and 1 hour left to fill my stomach. My brain is on the verge of malfunctioning. Metal Knight first appearance seems unwelcome by the readers, because I felt like making it with anime style, but I got flamed for 0 story progression!! Fine then let's make it in full color and blow up on the story progression. Thinking back now I really wanted to make Boros arc into full color pages...I wanted to draw full color pages, draw anime, publish my art collection, T-shirt, doujin....Ahhhh there's so much I want to do, I have to give up on some of them, ugh...

I noticed that he really let off this kind of style for OPM. The redraw up to a point almost felt like he was experimenting with drawing a manga and going for an almost flip book style of animation in several parts whether it was the meteor heading to Earth or the entrance of Metal Knight or even the scene where Sonic is bouncing around from tree to tree all around Saitama. It was a really unique manga from that respect as Murata really seemed to be trying to draw a different kind of manga despite retelling the ONE webcomic story.

It became a lot more "generic" after the Meteor arc and that's not a bad thing persay but the manga did lose a lot of its unique visual flair and identity. This wasn't helped by the fact that the added material and arc are fairly generic Shonen style stuff with a martial arts tournament and all that. I kind of wish he would have stuck with his original vision but it seemed like Murata was killing himself to continue the manga like that.

MCD

That's a pretty on the mark answer all things considered. However I think the more interesting question and answer:

I noticed that he really let off this kind of style for OPM. The redraw up to a point almost felt like he was experimenting with drawing a manga and going for an almost flip book style of animation in several parts whether it was the meteor heading to Earth or the entrance of Metal Knight or even the scene where Sonic is bouncing around from tree to tree all around Saitama. It was a really unique manga from that respect as Murata really seemed to be trying to draw a different kind of manga despite retelling the ONE webcomic story.

It became a lot more "generic" after the Meteor arc and that's not a bad thing persay but the manga did lose a lot of its unique visual flair and identity. This wasn't helped by the fact that the added material and arc are fairly generic Shonen style stuff with a martial arts tournament and all that. I kind of wish he would have stuck with his original vision but it seemed like Murata was killing himself to continue the manga like that.

Read the other parts. The story or retelling is all by ONE. Not even editors have any say.

Zweizer

Banned
Nice tidbits. Yeah it's a shame that it doesn't feel as experimental now, but let's hope he'll have opportunities to get wild again.

Also, I hope he'd do a couple of h-works sometime before he retires. It would assuredly be incredible.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 15

Treasure bugs definitely not but merfolk eggs seem fine. And man that other group can't catch a break, I wanna see the corpse hunters' reaction when they find them again.

I feel bad but hopefully they keep on going after they're revived again, the ways they always get wiped out are pretty interesting

Helck 16

I'm not sure if it's just me but it feels like the art's getting better (in the key panels at least). Also Vamirio is super endearing, I definitely didn't expect a tropical island life arc with those two.

Really itching for Bastard!! to be distributed to Kindle. I've only had a bit of exposure to the series but the trashy overpowered fantasy is just what I'm in the mood for right now

mellow

Knights of Sidonia 1-30
I've never really prescribed to the whole Nihei is a genius train of thought that seems pretty prevalent, but I've always found his art and ideas to be interesting enough that I've read all of his other material, those things usually make up for the shortcomings I find with his plots and coherency

but KoS seems plain mediocre so far, the neat ideas are still here (the setting is pretty much the thing that's keeping me here at this point), the art-style has changed for the worse..it seems like this was an attempt at making a more mainstream series or something. I also find the action sequences borderline impossible to follow (though I imagine it's no easy feat to draw sci fi space battles)

pretty disappointed with this so far but I'll see it through until the end, hopefully it picks up a little

it seems like this was an attempt at making a more mainstream series or something.
BquIikBIgAAF9vq.jpg

Also it feels like there is an inverse relationship between his ability to draw "normal looking" humanoid characters and the overall quality of the art as time goes on in Nihei's work. It's still technically good, but nowadays he really doesn't like using black shading anymore which is why his new manga takes place in a frozen wasteland

Tomo-chan 522

I really don't like the flow of the series right now.
Even Misuzu is pulling me down.
What's next?
Cotton Candy stealing Jun away in front of Tomo's eyes for some more grief?

Uh....

I'm actually ok with progress. Misuzu is getting some progress on her own. It's clear right now she's afraid of what she is to Tomo, but knowing Tomo, she will dispel the problem in a single panel.

Articalys

Ahahahahahaha

Apparently on the cover (featuring Fuuka) of the upcoming issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine, there's a notice that basically says
"Shocking! In the anime, Fuuka survived! Seo Kouji explains why inside!"

Ascheroth

BquIikBIgAAF9vq.jpg

Also it feels like there is an inverse relationship between his ability to draw "normal looking" humanoid characters and the overall quality of the art as time goes on in Nihei's work. It's still technically good, but nowadays he really doesn't like using black shading anymore which is why his new manga takes place in a frozen wasteland
I've read somewhere he doesn't have any assistants and draws everything on his own.
I still like his new style, but Blame and Biomega were probably the pinnacle for me.
Knights of Sidonia 1-30
I've never really prescribed to the whole Nihei is a genius train of thought that seems pretty prevalent, but I've always found his art and ideas to be interesting enough that I've read all of his other material, those things usually make up for the shortcomings I find with his plots and coherency

but KoS seems plain mediocre so far, the neat ideas are still here (the setting is pretty much the thing that's keeping me here at this point), the art-style has changed for the worse..it seems like this was an attempt at making a more mainstream series or something. I also find the action sequences borderline impossible to follow (though I imagine it's no easy feat to draw sci fi space battles)

pretty disappointed with this so far but I'll see it through until the end, hopefully it picks up a little
Sidonia is weird and has a lot of flaws.
But it still has that Nihei brand of weirdness and crazyness with interesting ideas and setting that I can look past a lot.
And Tsumugi.

Btw, I recommend watching the anime as well. It's full CG and character animation requires getting used to it, but the soundtrack and sound design are great and the battles are just fantastic.

Can't find any proper scenes on youtube, so this will have to do (it's pretty great though).

Top Bottom