• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man's PSN account banned for life after being hacked - Sony can't unban

He doesn't really go into the specifics but says that his account was hacked and he thanks Sony's community manager and Sony for helping him figure out what happened but for some reason they can't unlock his account.

I'm hoping that as time goes on someone at the PSN can figure it out and help him because I really can't see how it would be impossible to get his stuff back to him. Either that or there's more to this story, who knows?

If there's nothing else the guy is withholding, Sony's back-end must be a disaster of epic proportions for them to not be able to unban someone.

Might be time for Sony to take down the network and start from scratch, I can't imagine this will fly for much longer, especially with Sony now charging for basic use.

taizuke

Of all the testers in season 3 J-Tight was one of the most fun/coolest people on that show. It sucks hearing these news.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If gamesharing was the issue then there would be a shitload more of cases happening. But there aren't.

It happens now an again on the forums. The thing is most people know the risk and accept it when it happens. Or don't say anything. Or don't have a megaphone big enough to be heard.

If he shared, then got "hacked" and asked for help, but in the investigation they discovered that he was actually sharing and the "hack" was due to his account sharing then a ban would probably result.

FeiRR

Banned
If gamesharing was the issue then there would be a shitload more of cases happening. But there aren't.
Gamesharing means you're giving somebody your l/p, which is an easy way to get into trouble. Maybe that person used his data to mess around as a MVP?

If there's nothing else the guy is withholding, Sony's back-end must be a disaster of epic proportions for them to not be able to unban someone.
What if it's not a technical reason?

Not the same, but I couldn't connect to PSN the other day and I couldn't play my PS+ games as it thought my PS+ subscription had expired (it's good until February). Connected eventually via my phone, but I was very pissed off at first and just about ready to abandon a digital-heavy future.

Nzyme32

Missing details and circumstances immediately colours me sceptical. Countless times these stories come up and all too often foul play is discovered. Otherwise it is fairly rare for them to be legitimate. Obviously, if legitimate, it sucks and should be fixed

Oh hey, this exact same thing happened to me.

IT'S NOT PERMANENTLY BANNED. I got supposedly permabanned for "use of fraudulent circumvention software", i.e. what my fucking hacker did. Basically, Sony customer support don't know their arse from their elbow in terms of communicating with different departments. I got bounced between different sections (the differentiation between Sony Entertainment Network and Playstation Network is beyond stupid), and got told repeatedly I'd have to wait two weeks.

Only got anywhere when I made a really very angry phone call. Like the guy in question, I had spent hundreds. People bitch about Nintendo's online, but hey, I've never been locked out of my 3DS download list I've spent loads on.

autoduelist

Gamesharing means you're giving somebody your l/p, which is an easy way to get into trouble.

Most gamesharers use alt accounts set up specifically for gamesharing.

Giving out your actual details of your main account should be reserved for stuff like brothers/sisters, or blood brothers/sisters.

Dat digital future looks so bright doesn't it?

Poor dude.
Indeed. Perfect first post.

Buddy of mine sold a PSP a couple of years ago over eBay but he forgot to wipe the memory card and deactivate the system from his account. Weeks later he notices charges on his credit card via PSN that he did not make so he called his bank and told them to reverse the charges. Instant flag and ban of his account and Sony essentially told him to take a hike because there was no way to unban it so he lost all his purchases tied to that particular PSN account.

He then went through his entire bank statement, disputed ever single PSN purchase he ever made with his bank, created a new PSN account and rebought everything with the refunded money.
I hope so much that this is true.

Maybesew

Look at you, not giving a shit about stuff you spent hard earned money on. You're so cool.

It's not that, its more of a wasting time and energy. This guy has way more invested in it than I did, and yet, neither of us will get anything out of bringing attention to it. I'm just not into fruitless endeavors.

It's not that, its more of a wasting time and energy. This guy has way more invested in it than I did, and yet, neither of us will get anything out of bringing attention to it. I'm just not into fruitless endeavors.

Yeah, except I did. And the fact you even have to go to lengths to get your stuff back is beyond pathetic. No offence man, but corporations everywhere would be rubbing their hands if the average consumer was as indifferent as you.

My Steam account got "hacked" several years ago (I think in 2008-2009?) and my account was banned for about a month and going through with Steam support basically meant it was a month long endeavor because it always took a week and half before they would actually respond back to me. I did get the account back after a month. But god damn it was a fucking infuriating month. I wasn't that invested into Steam since my library consisted of only a bunch of Valve games and it was still a period where a lot of games didn't even need Steam to run (thank god I could still play BF2, Company of Heroes and World in Conflict without Steam back then) so that kinda helped. Now not so much.

The potential of having shit like this happen and potentially losing a lot of games is a real and frustrating thing. There is a reason why I'm still a bit ancy at buying full price PS4 games. It's also the same reason why I laugh at people bragging about their "Steam game collections" aka a collection of games they don't actually own.

Derpcrawler

If you make lot of fuss and noise about it, with huge thread you get your account unbanned. happened at least twice on my memory just this year. All you need to do is get Sony MVPs who are on this forum constantly nag their peers and all the pitchfork crowd tweet angry messages @yosp. But if you are a gamer peasant who don't have free access to bored Sony MVPs, devs and industry workers like here on NeoGaf, you are pretty much screwed most of the time.

It's still hilarious in a wrong way, that you need to go through all this shit to get it sorted, usually takes Sony a week or more even with pitchfork crowds from those 10 pages+ threads. I often get my account locked with Blizzard, due to failed attempts to login many times or password reset from unusual IP/computer. All it takes is a ticket or an email to sort it out, once when there was billing involved I had to call them, I got my account unbanned and handed back to me in 15 minutes.

Same with Xbox Live, had my account banned because of Fifa hack, the shitbag then used my account to host and sell spots in modded Call of Duty game to gain ranks/stats for other people. Took me 20 minutes or so with Microsoft support to get things going and I got my account back + free 3 months of gold and 1600 points next day.

BibiMaghoo

The potential of having shit like this happen and potentially losing a lot of games is a real and frustrating thing. There is a reason why I'm still a bit ancy at buying full price PS4 games. It's also the same reason why I laugh at people bragging about their "Steam game collections" aka a collection of games they don't actually own.

If you take that perspective, then those steam games are just as owned as the software on a disc, which you also do not own. You only own the disc.

It's a bad, bad outlook, because obviously, they own the games as much as you do, it is just easier to be locked out of using them.

hwalker84

Not videogame related but my boss really wanted a Lumia 920 which was AT&T only. He had Sprint at that time and was making the switch. His Wife had renewed her AT&T contract right before she was tragically killed (about 6 months before the 920 was coming out) which he called told the circumstances and the contract was terminated. Since it was terminated early a flag was placed on the account which couldn't be removed as AT&T had gotten rid of that team. The only way to remove it was to pay them over $1000. After months they still couldn't get it off so he went Nexus on TMobile.

Nzyme32

I laugh at people bragging about their "Steam game collections" aka a collection of games they don't actually own.

I would also laugh at people bragging, since there is no point to it.

But in terms of game ownership, arguably, you don't own any digital games on any service - and yet I don't consider retail games to be as "owned" as they used to be either. I have more retail games that have lost significant portions of their content due to "service ending". In contrast, in the almost 10 years of using Steam, I have lost 0, even to such circumstance as that (thanks to dedicated servers) or the game being pulled from the store, licencing issues etc.

Point is, all of these digital stores / services behave differently, and there is an element of trust involved specifically because you never "own" any of these games truely and you are at the whim of these services. As such Steam has yet to go wrong for me, even though it could, as could any of these services

Such a misleading title. May I suggest:

Man's hacked PSN account banned for life - Sony perfectly capable of rectifying situation but refuse anyway.

This is why you don't sell systems. Keep them, even if you never use them again, it isn't worth selling them back for a 100 bucks or less.

Top Bottom