• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many probably false Cafe-related rumours posted on 4Chan, some by "ESRB employee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

People also forget that the Wii is the most reliable hardware of this gen.

Yeah, two Gamecube taped together yada yada/repackaged yada yada but Nintendo systems are solid.

Gravijah

Sadist said:
People also forget that the Wii was the most reliable hardware of this gen.

Yeah, two Gamecube taped together yada yada/repackaged yada yada but Nintendo systems are solid.

Unless your name is Huelen.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Sadist said:
People also forget that the Wii is the most reliable hardware of this gen.

Huh? Who said the Wii isn't reliable in terms of hardware?

Instro

intheinbetween said:
it seems to me that since NGC Nintendo has changed its mind about investing in tech, especially if I take a look at their latest 3 systems: DS, Wii, 3DS. it's not something I regret, I really love those, but it's obvious Nintendo has been focusing in affordable systems and profitability than in investing in high cutting (hell, even medium!) tech.

that's why I rather stand cautious than getting myself hyped by all these rumours about Cafe/Current/whatever

Both logical steps in technology for Nintendo, the 3DS in particular is quite a nice system and is certainly mid tier tech. Don't lump them together with the Wii which was using hardware from the late 90's when it launched.

Izayoi

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
Nintendo Cafe is a much better name with more marketing possibilities than Nintendo Current.
Yeah... I'm not so hot on Cafe, but it's definitely better than Current.

Both are better than Wii, though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Beth Cyra

Izayoi said:
Yeah... I'm not so hot on Cafe, but it's definitely better than Current.

Both are better than Wii, though, so I guess I can't complain too much.
I honestly think both are equally terrible.

Then again after 6 months I will be use to any name they choose so it doesn't really matter.

Sadist

Gravijah said:
Unless your name is Huelen.
Oh yeah, he had like what seven Wii's?

I have to admit my Wii went gaga after playing Brawl for a few days, but when I sent my Wii in for repairs I received a new machine plus a new copy of Brawl. Can't complain.

Izayoi

Banned
Sadist said:
I have to admit my Wii went gaga after playing Brawl for a few days, but when I sent my Wii in for repairs I received a new machine plus a new copy of Brawl. Can't complain.
I've left mine on for over a week before and it's still totally fine.

Can't say the same for the PS3 fat or seven Xbox 360's I went through, though.

Triton55

Black-Wind said:
Did Cactus actually say that?

I remember some other guy saying this stuff and saying he worked for the w/e place. There even a pic showing Cactus calling someone out on their BS, saying that half their list was either made up or misunderstood.

I assume that OP pic is a collection of all Cactus has posted and he didn't seem to notice much about SSB4 and even had trouble pinning down who a "light haired character" was and decided to guess he was from S&P.
Yeah, it's usually posted separately from the other collection of rumors, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Could have been someone impersonating Round Cactus though.

For what it's worth, someone on /v/ is now saying he's the OP of the 4chan rumors (the list aside on top first post in this thread, not Cactus) and that it's fake. The same list was posted a few times before but with "cock speeds" instead of "clock speeds" so everyone just laughed it off.

TruePrime said:
Over 8 Million for Galaxy 1 and several million for Galaxy 2. I would say he does.
Considering that 2D mario sells even more I think it's clear that people are sick and tired of 3D mario... because there are 20+ million people who'd like to play mario. If only 8 million of those 20+ million buy 3D mario there's something wrong with 3D marios.
The franchise has more pull than it uses.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
I've left mine on for over a week before and it's still totally fine.

Can't say the same for the PS3 fat or seven Xbox 360's I went through, though.

Oh boy, 7 360s. I would be angry as hell. Thankfully, none of my current gen consoles have broken (knock on wood) though I went through a bunch of PS2s last gen.

Elixist

I and others on this board have suggested an open world Mario game as something that would be awesome. That rumor description of the game sounds amazing.
I WANT TO BELIEVE

Part of me hopes these rumors aren't true. I don't think Nintendo has to step back in order for 3rd parties to be successful. They didn't have to do it on the NES, nor the SNES. And when they did it for the 3DS, the launch line-up ended up being very mediocre.

Durante

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The R700 series ranges from sub-360 to several times more powerful. The processor could be, for all you know, quite literally a process shrunk and overclocked 360 CPU. 1.5GB of unified system memory would be positively mundane. I have no clue why you think the hardware specs are a "fanboy wet dream". I already know the specs are fake because of the shit that went along with them, but those specs are in-line with every other leak that's happened.
I agree with this. The rumoured specs aren't unbelievable (or amazing), they're almost too believable. If you tasked me with making up some specs for Cafe after the previous rumours those are more or less what I'd come up with. They're also sufficiently vague that they can be somewhat true over a large range of actual configurations.

Beth Cyra

Ahoi-Brause said:
Considering that 2D mario sells even more I think it's clear that people are sick and tired of 3D mario... because there are 20+ million people who'd like to play mario. If only 8 million of those 20+ million buy 3D mario there's something wrong with 3D marios.
I don't know if you are joking, but this makes no sense.

3D Mario and 2D Mario certainly overlap, but there is also a divide, it's not that 12 million people just are bored with Mario, the fanbases between the two types are different.

In no way should they just stop bringing out 3D Mario because it *Only* does 8 Million.

IrishNinja

DennisK4 said:
HD Zelda, guys

and

HD F-Zero

HD Metroid

HD StarTropics

OMG this kind of stuff is KILLING ME

1080p with a fancy VMU and awesome online and ALL YOUR FRIENDS PLAYING AWESOME GAMES MADE BY ERRBOY and it also looks like a super famicom and has a button that plays ace of base so you can pretend its still the early 90s and and and

Big One

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
Yeah no, not even close.

To the average gamer they're interchangeable in quality design.

People certainly aren't sick of 3D Mario as both Galaxy games have gotten near perfect reviews and unanimous acclaim from gamers.

However you are right that 2D Mario appeals to most people.

That's because just about everyone has played 2D Mario while 3D Mario is a lot more to take in and is a bit harder and more challenging to play.

There's nothing wrong with 3D Mario games, there's something wrong with people who don't play them

Gravijah

IrishNinja said:
OMG this kind of stuff is KILLING ME

1080p with a fancy VMU and awesome online and ALL YOUR FRIENDS PLAYING AWESOME GAMES MADE BY ERRBOY and it also looks like a super famicom and has a button that plays ace of base so you can pretend its still the early 90s and and and

The power button is one of those awesome metal pogs.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Oh boy, 7 360s. I would be angry as hell. Thankfully, none of my current gen consoles have broken (knock on wood) though I went through a bunch of PS2s last gen.
Yeah, I'm on an HD console hiatus for the time being. I'll eventually replace both of them, but for now I'm focusing on handhelds and PC.

Why would you do that? said:
Part of me hopes these rumors aren't true. I don't think Nintendo has to step back in order for 3rd parties to be successful. They didn't have to do it on the NES, nor the SNES. And when they did it for the 3DS, the launch line-up ended up being very mediocre.
I'm not too worried. We'll see the games eventually. It's just a matter of patience, really. Extra time in the oven has never hurt a game either, so eh.

Beth Cyra

Gravijah said:
The power button is one of those awesome metal pogs.
Not really related.

But I hope to god they don't do some stupid nonsense like Sony did with that touch power button on the Fat PS3. I freaking hated that thing.

Gravijah

TruePrime said:
Not really related.

But I hope to god they don't do some stupid nonsense like Sony did with that touch power button on the Fat PS3. I freaking hated that thing.

You hate the touch button on the fatty? That thing is pure class. Another reason it is superior to the slim.

Cipherr

Ahoi-Brause said:

Considering they just started releasing both 3D and 2D console mario games and one sells 20m while the other sells 8m I think my idea of them releasing both and having their cake and eating it too makes a lot more sense than your idea that Galaxy selling more than 85% of games this gen means people are sick of 3D Mario.

Sadist

Ahoi-Brause said:
Or... 2D Mario titles are more pick-up and play friendly.

3D Mario's are fine where they are.

Ahoi-Brause said:
I swear, every batch of juniors the joke accounts get worse. That's some ICP level logic right there.

Beth Cyra

Gravijah said:
You hate the touch button on the fatty? That thing is pure class. Another reason it is superior to the slim.
Yeah, don't know just never cared for the darn thing. Much prefer the button on the Slim.

Sadly that is the only thing I prefer about the Slim PS3. Granted the fatty looked like a grill or whatever, but it still looked much better then the Slim.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Touch buttons are the future.

Less click, more SCIENCE.

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
Touch buttons are the future.

Less click, more SCIENCE.

It's funny that the PS3 went from AWESOME TOUCH BUTTON to stupid click while the 360 went from annoying power button to SORTA KINDA COOL TOUCH.

Elixist

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I swear, every batch of juniors the joke accounts get worse. That's some ICP level logic right there.

fuckinmagnets.gif

I read through the OP several times and the Cactus stuff seems very believable. I don't trust those random 4chan rumors though. I'd shit my pants if the Cafe did have that kind of power, but I've resigned myself to waiting for E3 on that one.

STILL NEED MY F-ZERO FIX, NINTENDO!

Triton55 said:
Yeah, it's usually posted separately from the other collection of rumors, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Could have been someone impersonating Round Cactus though.

For what it's worth, someone on /v/ is now saying he's the OP of the 4chan rumors (the list aside on top first post in this thread, not Cactus) and that it's fake. The same list was posted a few times before but with "cock speeds" instead of "clock speeds" so everyone just laughed it off.
Yeah, I wrote that random list off as fake from the start.

Any Pokemon fan knows that shit aint gonna happen >_>

As for Round Cactus I'm actually believing him/ her. Mainly because, IMO, it would be far too much of a coincidence for them to slip in Snatcher and Contra (who the fuck thinks of Snatcher and Contra when making a Nintendo console reveal wish list?) only to have both titles get attention 2+ weeks later with Snatcher (With maybe "Project 2" in the title) being on that concept wall and Contra being teased.

Thats really the only reason I have for thinking he is really telling the truth. Those just seem too odd to be coincidences.

IrishNinja

Gravijah said:

+1 to the class (all these slots i dont use, too!), but i sometimes forget it when dusting the machine off and then BEEP and then oh well its on now, might as well play

antonz

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, I wrote that random list off as fake from the start.

Any Pokemon fan knows that shit aint gonna happen >_>

As for Round Cactus I'm actually believing him/ her. Mainly because, IMO, it would be far too much of a coincidence for them to slip in Snatcher and Contra (who the fuck thinks of Snatcher and Contra when making a Nintendo console reveal wish list?) only to have both titles get attention 2+ weeks later with Snatcher (With maybe "Project 2" in the title) being on that concept wall and Contra being teased.

Thats really the only reason I have for thinking he is really telling the truth. Those just seem too odd to be coincidences.
Yep and throw in the fact he even got the Contra Teaser right with just the C. At the very least he knows someone somewhere for sure.

Its one thing to guess a game but to predict the teaser perfectly is a one in a million thing

Tweet from Mark MacDonald:

Rumor of Virtual Console "remasterings" for next Nintendo console interesting since Iwata told me of same idea for Wii in ooold EGM intervew

Big One

Banned
Yeah the remastering thing I think will end up being true.

It's happening with the 3DS so I don't see why we won't get a Cafe version.

Sadist

antonz said:
Yep and throw in the fact he even got the Contra Teaser right with just the C. At the very least he knows someone somewhere for sure.

Its one thing to guess a game but to predict the teaser perfectly is a one in a million thing
Consider him a lucky man I guess.

Gravijah

IrishNinja said:
+1 to the class (all these slots i dont use, too!), but i sometimes forget it when dusting the machine off and then BEEP and then oh well its on now, might as well play

That's because if you try to immediately turn it back off it yells at you with rapid beeps.

Big One said:
Yeah the remastering thing I think will end up being true.

It's happening with the 3DS so I don't see why we won't get a Cafe version.

So I bet our VC game saves on Wii won't be able to be transfered to the Current/Wii2/Cafe

I'm aboard the Cactus train. The Mario details sound plausible too, but I'm not convinced by the stuff in between yet.

I also don't understand the 'jump in' online, as this is what some games already do, shouldn't that come down to a design decision? Although one thing it could suggest is dedicated servers being the norm..

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
antonz said:

I've heard this repeated several times now but have seen no proof of it.

Suzzopher

The online stuff sounds a lot like bullshit. There is no way they could say it out classes PSN and XBL at this stage. Sure the UI would be in place, but performance? This would be a long way off before they could know for sure just how good it is.

Cipherr

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The R700 series ranges from sub-360 to several times more powerful. The processor could be, for all you know, quite literally a process shrunk and overclocked 360 CPU. 1.5GB of unified system memory would be positively mundane. I have no clue why you think the hardware specs are a "fanboy wet dream".

Its probably because your not reading what I wrote. So Ill give a much clearer example.

Im building a new rig (hypothetically)

Case? 800D
KB: Logitech G19
Mouse: Roccat Kone
Nice 3 30" monitor setup
A copy of Crysis 1&2, The Witcher 2 and:

A quad core, an SSD, and a Nvidia card in the Fermi line.

Now considering the context of the other information, would you estimate that the quadcore is a C2Q or an Nehalem/Sandy Bridge Variant? Is the SSD likely to be a early stuttery JMicron monstrosity or a new Intel 510 series drive? Is the GPU likely to be a GT 520 or a GTX 580?

I know the range is large in terms of what it could be within the archs mentioned, everyone knows that, but when you look at the full set of rumors, when you look at the freaking context, I think its ridiculous to assume that the IBM chip and the ATI chip are going to be absolutely bottom of the barrel like your assuming. This is a little ridiculous because we are talking about phantom hardware, but still. Whoever made it probably would have been more specific about the hardware when they pulled it out of their ass if they knew any better, and Ill bet it wouldn't have read "a slightly overclocked 360 variant" near the CPU line.

IrishNinja

Gravijah said:
That's because if you try to immediately turn it back off it yells at you with rapid beeps.

this happened to me once, in the summer of '07, and it was terrifying. i apologized profusely and have never tried it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom