• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marc Whitten: "DRM definately not returning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Microsoft needs to stop bringing up the DRM and let it die. They're not doing themselves any favors by dragging it out of the closet every so often.

beast786

This is why a simple "no" like yosp would have been it ;p

MS really can't get out of its own way. It's incredible

Cryolemon

People are nuts if they think DRM, as it was originally envisioned, will ever return.

The backlash, besides being so memorable as to forever be a part of any conversation about the introduction of the console, translated to an actual, quantifiable loss for Microsoft to the point that they reversed it all.

This isn't resolutiongate or something that only we care about, this was an incredibly unpopular series of ideas.

I wouldn't say "never". Not likely this generation though.

while that is good to know, there's something unsettling about them still having to confirm it like this. probably because of all the "consumer weren't ready for the future" crap and i think even before some reps were saying it "might" be looked at again.

MercuryLS

Banned
Whitten: "I totally promice it's not coming back"

*2 years later DRM is back"

Whitten: "I said promice, not promise lol"

Barzul

This is why a simple "no" like yosp would have been it ;p

MS really can't get out of its own way. It's incredible

If he spelt definitely right, would you be saying this? I mean really the fact he misspelled the word does not take away from what it was conveying.

Nibel

Maybe he wrote it this way because when it comes late he can say "Well I never said 'definitely not coming back' to anyone!"

ironcreed

Banned
If he spelt definitely right, would you be saying this? I mean really the fact he misspelled the word does not take away from what it was conveying.

Nonsense, there has to be some hidden meaning behind the spelling. It's actually code for 'I have my fingers crossed' in Microsoft's inner circle.

meppi

No surprise there after the shitstorm that went down. Next gen maybe. Wouldn't put it past them to try again.

liquidtmd

Banned
We are now approaching our final destination, Xbone. The multimedia centre of the future where nothing can "definately" go wrong. Uh, nothing to definitely go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Not returning because it never left!

GOY5MN6.gif
That gif gets me every time.

Anonumos

Banned

Seriously. People would still be posting stupid shit had he spelled correctly. As for drm, it was such a catastrophic fuck up I doubt they'd try it again.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Whitten: "DRM definately not returning*"

Fine print: *in its original guise.

I'm still skeptical. Prove me wrong Microsoft.

Majanew

Banned
Sucks that he misspelled definitely because there's a bunch of children that can't focus. And it doesn't matter what he, or anyone else at MS, says. It's going to be an ongoing thing for many about when will MS go back to its original plans.

Yeah Microsoft is going to lock people out of using their disc based games at some undisclosed point in time and risk what would be an even bigger PR disaster than what they went through the first time.

Guess Who

Banned
Microsoft needs to stop bringing up the DRM and let it die. They're not doing themselves any favors by dragging it out of the closet every so often.

They didn't. Someone else asked them. And if Microsoft didn't respond, the story would instead be "Microsoft silent on whether or not DRM will return". They're in a no-win situation.

Next console.

Or if they end up shedding the console's mortal coil, Xbox will be cloud services that require an always online connection anyhow, because of authenticating the required Gold access, and/or streaming the games directly.

The spelling mistake joke got old in like 2 posts. Seriously, let it go guys.

I never thought they would be mad enough to bring the DRM back mid gen. But I am guessing this is to assuage fears after the other interview where Albert Penello basically said people were too backwards to like MS's awesome idea.

beast786

I don't man. I thought I was pretty obvious with a joke. you guys don't need to get defensive this fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom