• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marc Whitten: "DRM definately not returning"

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. It's greek for Anonymous
2. It's a frickin username. Seriously?
It's a common typo for anonymous. We're in a typo thread. Google and Wiki came back with nothing, and at least I made the effort to learn about it before I posted (hell, I thought it would be a glam metal band).

However, I apologize for poking fun at your user name.

Anonumos

Banned
It's a common typo for anonymous. We're in a typo thread. Google and Wiki came back with nothing, and at least I made the effort to learn about it before I posted (hell, I thought it would be a glam metal band).

However, I apologize for poking fun at your user name.

Making fun of typos is stupid unless you are publishing a paper or writing something professional.

Going "herp derp he misspelled hurr durr" without actually discussing the issue at hand is really sophomoric. We're better than n4g and gamefaqs. Or at least I thought so.

Not returning because it never left!

GOY5MN6.gif

Lol.

Making fun of typos is stupid unless you are publishing a paper or writing something professional.

Going "herp derp he misspelled hurr durr" without actually discussing the issue at hand is really sophomoric. We're better than n4g and gamefaqs. Or at least I thought so.
Awesome, thanks for taking the high road and accepting my apology.

This has just become a FUD talking point. They've said IF they ever brought back some of those digital game features, they would be optional.

The idea they would throw that whole shit storm back into action is laughable.

460lz26.jpg

Discussing the topic at hand, that's the opinion of the current management. It's refreshing to be affirmed that, in the near future, there will be no changes to Xbox's consumer-friendly stance.

However, Xbox is primed to undergo many changes thanks to the turmoil inside of Microsoft...anything could happen. Because of this, it's best not to put too much investment into his comment. Microsoft has weathered through dramatic changes in the past, and it will undergo them again.

Does twitter not auto correct misspelled words or atleast indicate that the word is misspelled in this day and age.

I tried misspelling the words in this sentence and each one was autocorrected.

Why would you purposefully make the effort to reverse an autocorrected word?

Eusis

That Comcast thread indicated how we can always get some random stupid screw ups for people, so I imagine as time went on they increasingly realized just how dumb it really was.

Just a simple misspelling.

He clearly meant to type that the USS Defiant is not returning. In 2375, the Breen destroyed the USS Defiant during the Second Battle of Chin'toka. While the name may be reused, the true Defiant can never be replaced.

As for DRM, though, that's definitely coming back.

teiresias

Misspelling "definitely" is the equivalent of crossing your fingers behind your back in this case.

Of course, MS's other executive's behavior make a far better case for not believing this information though.

Also, he didn't add a qualifier. Sure he said "definitely not returning" but under what time frame? Not returning ever? Not returning in the next few months? Not returning in the next four years? Not returning for the life of the Xbox One but will reappear with the next console?

It's a vague response that can be left up to interpretation without further clarification.

Barzul

It's a vague response that can be left up to interpretation without furthe clarification.
wow. I hope this is one of those times where my sarcasm detector is broken because saying "definitely not returning" cannot be construed as vague. You can say you don't believe him, but vague nope.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
6 months from now:
"We never said definitely, we said definately, which isn't even a word. Xbox, DRM on!"

:p
Just a simple misspelling.

He clearly meant to type that the USS Defiant is not returning. In 2375, the Breen destroyed the USS Defiant during the Second Battle of Chin'toka. While the name may be reused, the true Defiant can never be replaced.

As for DRM, though, that's definitely coming back.
You guys.

wow. I hope this is one of those times where my sarcasm detector is broken because saying "definitely not returning" cannot be construed as vague. You can say you don't believe him, but vague nope.

I just wish he would put a qualifier at the end, so he can't weasel his way out of trouble by declaring a half-truth later on.

"Oh, I said DRM was definitely not returning? Well, I just meant it was definitely not returning in 2013! It's coming back in 2014, though."

Hey that's my userpic!

Also, considering they said DRM could be never removed then removed it 4 days later, here's my response to this:

original.gif

"We have an excuse for that! DRM couldn't be removed as of the day that we made that statement! But, it could be removed a few days later."

GooeyHeat

Mind your own business.
Can you tell that to someone on a public internet forum? Assuming we're not talking "detective-GAF" levels of creeping, anyway.

Anyway, whether his tweet was spelled correctly or not, I doubt he has all of the information, nor has he said anything legally binding (right?).

And finally, don't forget that Microsoft couldn't just reverse their stance on DRM like they did a few days after they said that they couldn't.

So, you know.

artist

Banned
Can you tell that to someone on a public internet forum? Assuming we're not talking "detective-GAF" levels of creeping, anyway.

Anyway, whether his tweet was spelled correctly or not, I doubt he has all of the information, nor has he said anything legally binding (right?).

And finally, don't forget that Microsoft couldn't just reverse their stance on DRM like they did a few days after they said that they couldn't.

So, you know.
Is all you need to know about "trust" with Microsoft.

Teletraan1

Banned
The botched spelling leads me to believe that Marc Whitten is actually CBOAT.

It is sad however that they have to clarify this. Maybe their other talking heads should shut up and stop blaming customers for "you are not prepared" like they hired Illidan Stormrage as PR.

Raw64life

The constant justifying of their original plan even after they canned it says otherwise. I'd bet anything that after the holidays they're going to tout how many people downloaded their games digitally, and some PR goof will go "see, they love digital" while continuing to miss the point.

I'd like to believe that. I really would.

I expect it back in some form at some point from MS. Maybe their next box?

I could be wrong but they still don't seem to understand why it was so hated.

Penello said that people weren't ready for an all digital xbox one and he was right. People weren't ready to give up their physical sharing/trading/etc, and they weren't ready to embrace the kind of DRM needed to enable digital sharing/trading without mass exploitation.

Nothing he said is incorrect. It's blatantly fucking obvious.

If you want to use what he said like a tree branch and swizzle it around in your backside in a rage inducing manner then its your butt, but he was 100% correct that people weren't ready.

At some point in time, culture and infrastructure advances will mean that the people who are still stuck to physical media will become the equivalent of "that guy" you know who swears by vinyl records vs digital music. I.e. irrelevant to where the majority of the market is, and those people aren't going to be catered for.

Just like how people who value not having DLC in all of the things or not paying simply to play games online don't matter a shit to the console market right now. They can be as angry as they want, nobody cares. The pay to play online model is now a thing and that is that.
At one time, their voices would have been huge. Now their opinions are easily brushed to the side because society/culture/infrastructures have made the paradigm so much of a "thing" that people just see it as "how it is" now.

If Marc Whitten says they aren't bringing the exact same DRM policies back, it has zero to do with whether they felt people were ready for an all digital xbox, because an all digital xbox does not require the exact same DRM policies in the first place. They could have easily said "ZERO sharing abilities" without any of that DRM and there's your all digital box without the DRM.

By the time people are ready, digital sharing/trading schemes could have evolved in such a way that an all digital console can easily come along without treading on those particular shoes and therefore not needing that DRM at all.

I'm sure I'll be hated on by certain peoples due to my refusal to follow the overly negative narrative and my aggressiveness towards the exaggeration of their statements, but I don't care.

Screw you :D

tensuke

Good news if true! That DRM stuff was just horrible for us average joes, maybe in the Microsoft bubble it made since what with how they're moving as much as they can to the cloud, but for us it would just not have worked out well. Perhaps a man in Marc Whitten's position should be able to spell "definitely" correctly, but it's Twitter, and maybe he was on his phone which can mess things up, so I wouldn't make such a big deal over it. :p

damage has been done,

also albert penelo disagrees with you mark witen

Nope. Not when people read the actual article, as opposed the out-of-context quotes that were published elsewhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/xbox-one-drm-reversal-history/

""The thing I want to be super explicit about, because I do think people are worried about, is once we made the decision to go to physical disc security, we're not unwinding that decision. We're committed to the physical disc; we're committed to trading and loaning. This is my official: 'We're not going back on that.' I don't want anybody to think we 'got' them, and then tomorrow I'm gonna go back to the old stuff, 'cause that's not gonna happen.""

Nope. Not when people read the actual article, as opposed the out-of-context quotes that were published elsewhere.

""The thing I want to be super explicit about, because I do think people are worried about, is once we made the decision to go to physical disc security, we're not unwinding that decision. We're committed to the physical disc; we're committed to trading and loaning. This is my official: 'We're not going back on that.' I don't want anybody to think we 'got' them, and then tomorrow I'm gonna go back to the old stuff, 'cause that's not gonna happen.""

Hi Albert, thanks for the link/quote. It doesn't get any clearer than that tbh.

Your own words in that very article that you linked to:
Regardless, Penello admitted that, in the end, it was the right decision. He still believes the all-digital future is coming. "We just think that's the way the future's gonna go," he said. "We may have been right. What we were wrong about was that it's just too soon. People just weren't ready to make that leap right away."

Albert, just stop. Please.

Your own words in that very article that you linked to:

Albert, just stop. Please.

I'll just quote myself.

Penello said that people weren't ready for an all digital xbox one and he was right. People weren't ready to give up their physical sharing/trading/etc, and they weren't ready to embrace the kind of DRM needed to enable digital sharing/trading without mass exploitation.

Nothing he said is incorrect. It's blatantly fucking obvious.

If you want to use what he said like a tree branch and swizzle it around in your backside in a rage inducing manner then its your butt, but he was 100% correct that people weren't ready.

At some point in time, culture and infrastructure advances will mean that the people who are still stuck to physical media will become the equivalent of "that guy" you know who swears by vinyl records vs digital music. I.e. irrelevant to where the majority of the market is, and those people aren't going to be catered for.

Just like how people who value not having DLC in all of the things or not paying simply to play games online don't matter a shit to the console market right now. They can be as angry as they want, nobody cares. The pay to play online model is now a thing and that is that.
At one time, their voices would have been huge. Now their opinions are easily brushed to the side because society/culture/infrastructures have made the paradigm so much of a "thing" that people just see it as "how it is" now.

If Marc Whitten says they aren't bringing the exact same DRM policies back, it has zero to do with whether they felt people were ready for an all digital xbox, because an all digital xbox does not require the exact same DRM policies in the first place. They could have easily said "ZERO sharing abilities" without any of that DRM and there's your all digital box without the DRM.

By the time people are ready, digital sharing/trading schemes could have evolved in such a way that an all digital console can easily come along without treading on those particular shoes and therefore not needing that DRM at all.

I'm sure I'll be hated on by certain peoples due to my refusal to follow the overly negative narrative and my aggressiveness towards the exaggeration[and misconstruing] of their statements, but I don't care.

Screw you :D

"DRM" has been changed to "the cloud" in PR talk, I bet Microsoft will follow the trend.

:p

Remember Diablo 3 and Sim City didn't have DRM...they just had mandatory use of "the cloud".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom