• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The Road To Raw After Wrestlemania XXX has begun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

I feel this nattering about "morning talk shows" is way overstated. How many does Cena actually do? One every few months? How many new viewers from them do his robot PR demeanor and muscles bring in?

This is not something you need to design your entire business based on.

A champion that only appeals to wrestling fans is not best for business, friend. It's about moving the needle. Daniel Bryan better start brushing up on his Cantonese or land a comedy role in a Will Ferrell movie.

Dem talk show skills

tumblr_m5vdjqi7UH1qb8rrto3_250.gif

Dave and Bry could be good. Maybe not 4 star matches wise, but I just want to see RealTista go off.

Alvarez did say a few days ago that he was given word that the main event of Extreme Rules would be a one-on-one contest for the title, whatever that would mean.

A champion that only appeals to wrestling fans is not best for business, friend. It's about moving the needle. Daniel Bryan better start brushing up on his Cantonese or land a comedy role in a Will Ferrell movie.
Well it's a good thing that being on talk shows has nothing to do with moving the needle then.

Rapstah

Alvarez did say a few days ago that he was given word that the main event of Extreme Rules would be a one-on-one contest for the title, whatever that would mean.

Isn't it always? Non-tag, non-singles matches are always supposed to be non-DQ, so unless they're in like a "weapons cage" or something like that, making them extreme rules matches just makes people wonder why people don't always use weapons in triple or four-way matches.

Sephzilla

I'm unsure if I liked Cena's Sheep Stealth attack. It was sort of cool, but he made it really goofy at the same time.

What made it stupid was two things.

1) The Wyatts trying to act like they have no idea who the 4th guy is.

2) The fact that Cena was totally wearing Brian's Wyatt outfit, because it was clearly too small for Cena.

Bryan's entire foundation is based upon how he looks average but his in-ring skills and connection with the crowd is anything but. Yeah the dude needs a haircut to his Summer 2013 look atleast but keep the beard. They just need to splice in footage of his matches and then the message will come across that this guy is the shit.

He needs someone that contrasts with him to play off though. Fck it, put him with Hogan.

Spoiler alert - the casual wrestling fan who will make the Network (and Wrestlemania) a success doesn't give a shit about "good" wrestling matches. They want to see characters, storylines, and 'awesome' main events. There's a reason why ratings actually drop during long matches.

Isn't it always? Non-tag, non-singles matches are always supposed to be non-DQ, so unless they're in like a "weapons cage" or something like that, making them extreme rules matches just makes people wonder why people don't always use weapons in triple or four-way matches.

I think the common prediction was a triple threat rematch.

Spoiler alert - the casual wrestling fan who will make the Network (and Wrestlemania) a success doesn't give a shit about "good" wrestling matches. They want to see characters, storylines, and 'awesome' main events. There's a reason why ratings actually drop during long matches.
The best wrestling matches are exciting ones, so there is correlation there.

Preach.

I just want Bryan's title reign to mean something. Doesn't have to be long, but just have some significance. They need to bring back Saturday Night's Main Event just for this very reason. Throw all your goons at Bryan FOR THE TITLE, and have him defend it non-stop. Rollins, Ambrose, Cesaro, Ziggler, Fandango, Goldust, Cody, Miz, Big E, Del Rio whatever, just have him have MATCHES. Have him drop it at Summerslam or Survivor Series and just give the little guy the shine he deserves and be done with it.

This isn't true. At least not as a rule.

Ithil

Absolutely none of Cena's morning talk shows "move the needle".

jmdajr

I just want Bryan's title reign to mean something. Doesn't have to be long, but just have some significance. They need to bring back Saturday Night's Main Event just for this very reason. Throw all your goons at Bryan FOR THE TITLE, and have him defend it non-stop. Rollins, Ambrose, Cesaro, Ziggler, Fandango, Goldust, Cody, Miz, Big E, Del Rio whatever, just have him have MATCHES. Have him drop it at Summerslam or Survivor Series and just give the little guy the shine he deserves and be done with it.

Just got to keep Cena occupied.

Rapstah

Hey, I feel like 95% of this subcommunity is positive to Bray Wyatt, who's basically the recipe for "big matches" and a "strong character" but hasn't looked good in any non-squash singles matches against normal people on the main roster yet. Ideally he ends up having great matches too so he can please everyone.

Gorillaz

If even that.

Why isn't bryan getting a cut up tho? I mean if they do plan to make him champion won't they want to "champion" him on talk shows and morning shows like Mike and Kelly. Or will they just go quiet until Brotista wins and show him off this summer on talk shows.

jmdajr

If even that.

Why isn't bryan getting a cut up tho? I mean if they do plan to make him champion won't they want to "champion" him on talk shows and morning shows like Mike and Kelly. Or will they just go quiet until Brotista wins and show him off this summer on talk shows.

D.Bry is featured a lot on Total Divas. It's good for business.

Ithil

Ha. I was waiting for that to be posted. Bryan seems to have the personality to do well on kids shows and morning shows...even with the hobo look.

I don't buy the "he's too wild haired!" excuse either. He has long hair, and a long beard. Ok. What's stopping them putting his hair in a ponytail and straightening his beard and tying that up too? He's not an ugly guy, he would look quite normal if you tied his hair back.

If it's "he won't look like he does on TV" well then if they worry about him looking unkempt, maybe they shouldn't cultivate the image of him looking unkempt on WWE TV.

And it's not like he's not a good interview, either. He's always likable and charming when seen in interviews, and the interviewers always seems to like him more by the end.

So what does that leave? His height? Sitting down, it doesn't matter.

If you're gonna throw out reasons he can't be in a top spot, at least make them valid and not cheap excuses. Just like Orton looks great, but isn't suited for Cena's spot because he's anti-social and only comes out of his shell in adult-orientated radio shows, from what I've seen. That's an actual problem, which is he wouldn't come off well talking to talkshow hosts.

somedevil

Raw Viewership for 3/31:

hour 1: 4.231
hour 2: 4.603
hour 3: 4.338

Avg: 4.391

Hour 2 and 3 have the largest 18-49 range. Can't wait to see the quarters to see the over run did.

This is the point where I think I'm supposed to call you a mark for some reason?

Lol. Probably. I just never liked the cult thing and I hate the guys he's with. Probably not the best reason to dislike someone, but that's all I've got. Seen a couple matches and they were good though.

Heel

Well it's a good thing that being on talk shows has nothing to do with moving the needle then.

Absolutely none of Cena's morning talk shows "move the needle".

I guess we can pretend that being a viable media ambassador for a billion dollar company has no value or influence on a wrestler's career path. That gold belt serves as the key to face time with Katie Couric, Al Roker and George Stephanopoulos whether you like it or not my breh.

I guess we can pretend that being a viable media ambassador for a billion dollar company has no value or influence on a wrestler's career path. That gold belt serves as the key to face time with Katie Couric, Al Roker and George Stephanopoulos whether you like it or not my breh.

I guess Miz should just always be champion then

jred2k

I don't buy the "he's too wild haired!" excuse either. He has long hair, and a long beard. Ok. What's stopping them putting his hair in a ponytail and straightening his beard and tying that up too? He's not an ugly guy, he would look quite normal if you tied his hair back.

If it's "he won't look like he does on TV" well then if they worry about him looking unkempt, maybe they shouldn't cultivate the image of him looking unkempt on WWE TV.

And it's not like he's not a good interview, either. He's always likable and charming when seen in interviews, and the interviewers always seems to like him more by the end.

So what does that leave? His height? Sitting down, it doesn't matter.

If you're gonna throw out reasons he can't be in a top spot, at least make them valid and not cheap excuses. Just like Orton looks great, but isn't suited for Cena's spot because he's anti-social and only comes out of his shell in adult-orientated radio shows, from what I've seen. That's an actual problem, which is he wouldn't come off well talking to talkshow hosts.

If anything he hair and beard is an opening to conversation. Talk show interviews on TV usually run 5-10 mins at most. Talk about his beard for 3 mins, plug the WWE for 3 minutes and the interview is over. Some of the most popular football and baseball players in America are so popular precisely because of their wild hair or beards.

The same luddites in the general public that would be turned of by Bryan's hair would probably be equally against Orton or Batista's tattoos.

I wonder if Brock will beat the streak this year?

There is no wonderment if people are repeating the betting odds and those bloody dolphin predictions from reddit all the time. That's my frustration.

People complain about nothing being a surprise anymore, but spend so much time reading spoilers and gossip that if something was to be a surprise they already knew about it. Then they go and spread it to people who don't want to know about it and spoil the surprise for them too.

I enjoy wrestling so much more when I'm not wasting time on dirt sheets and insider crap. I don't mind the monthly threads, as they tend spoiler tag stuff well, but the PPV OTs are horrible for it.

Would you go into a TV OT during the Season Finale and start talking about points from a leaked script before the show had even started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom