• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marin From Links Awakening to join Hyrule Warriors as DLC

Not the shopkeeper, the wind fish, the owl, Marin's Dad (complete with racoon transformation), Crazy Tracy or Dr. Wright? How could they go for the sensible, safe choice of another harp user (I don't see Marin break dancing like Sheik).

going through NOA twitter and here is some cut content from Linkles story that's pretty funny
Well Linkle and Tingle do sound similar.

Kevinroc

Do you remember anything else from the panel? Did they mention any other characters? Did they explain why they chose certain characters? I love developmental/conceptual insight of any kind.

They did record the panel and indicated they would upload the video onto youtube, but I have no idea when that will happen and how much will be on said video.

People got kind of weird with character mentions. Someone asked about Navi. Someone else asked about a playable Kikwi (but forgot what they were called at that moment).

They showed off some concept art for Lana and Cia. They looked much different in their original designs. They weren't originally planned to be one and the same. That idea came later. Cia was redesigned to be sexy, and Lana was redesigned to look more like a pop star.

Linkle was added because of the strong reaction to her concept art. Specifically the strong reaction from North America (at least that's what they said at Wonder Con). She has no sense of direction as a character flaw. They discussed cutting a story sequence because they thought it was too silly. And she went through a number of redesigns (some of which Nintendo put up on their twitter).

They wanted Young Link to be unique. There was some apprehension on Tingle from Nintendo. They said Tetra is just Tetra (and also showed some art that they didn't use of Toon Link and Tetra riding on the King of Red Lions).

Someone asked if they were interested in using other Nintendo IP for a future Warriors game. They said they were (no franchise was specifically mentioned), but they were focusing on Hyrule Warriors at the moment.

I also got a nice little poster.

Hmm. If an NX port happens (HW Ultimate or whatever) I won't be surprised if we finally see Groose playable.

They were pretty candid when they admitted they had discussed Groose internally. And then were very coy on if they were actually going to add him to the game.

Neiteio

Here's hoping NX launches with Saria Warriors: Hyrule Warriors 2: The Legend of Saria: Saria Edition: Starring Saria from The Legend of Zelda Series.

Ryce

They did record the panel and indicated they would upload the video onto youtube, but I have no idea when that will happen and how much will be on said video.

People got kind of weird with character mentions. Someone asked about Navi. Someone else asked about a playable Kikwi (but forgot what they were called at that moment).

They showed off some concept art for Lana and Cia. They looked much different in their original designs. They weren't originally planned to be one and the same. That idea came later. Cia was redesigned to be sexy, and Lana was redesigned to look more like a pop star.

Linkle was added because of the strong reaction to her concept art. Specifically the strong reaction from North America (at least that's what they said at Wonder Con). She has no sense of direction as a character flaw. They discussed cutting a story sequence because they thought it was too silly. And she went through a number of redesigns (some of which Nintendo put up on their twitter).

They wanted Young Link to be unique. There was some apprehension on Tingle from Nintendo. They said Tetra is just Tetra (and also showed some art that they didn't use of Toon Link and Tetra riding on the King of Red Lions).

Someone asked if they were interested in using other Nintendo IP for a future Warriors game. They said they were (no franchise was specifically mentioned), but they were focusing on Hyrule Warriors at the moment.

I also got a nice little poster.
Thanks for the write-up. Nintendo's perpetual Tingle apprehension amuses me.

Ryce

Not the shopkeeper, the wind fish, the owl, Marin's Dad (complete with racoon transformation), Crazy Tracy or Dr. Wright? How could they go for the sensible, safe choice of another harp user (I don't see Marin break dancing like Sheik).
There's plenty of room for Marin to have a unique move set. It's not like Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Zant, Fi, and Ghirahim all play the same just because they hold swords.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Neiteio

The Oracle games are great but didn't grab me quite the same way as LADX.

Still blows my mind that Nintendo released two full-fledged Zelda games on the same day, and that connecting the two and completing both led to the true final boss.

Ryce

So apparently at the panel they showed the Sea Lily's Bell, one of the Eight Instruments of the Sirens, next to Marin's artwork. It was edited out of the official image released by Nintendo.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MN9Mahb.jpg[/img]

I'm starting to get the feeling that she'll use all eight instruments in her move set, with the bell serving as her primary weapon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I've been playing the best handheld Zelda title today and now I feel Pinkle and Barkle should be DLC.

Nia

Here's hoping NX launches with Saria Warriors: Hyrule Warriors 2: The Legend of Saria: Saria Edition: Starring Saria from The Legend of Zelda Series.

After how long she's been on the bench, Saria deserves to be in every Nintendo game from now on.

Shin-Ra

Even though Link looks teenaged in the rough-sea intro closeup, the chibi character design through the rest of the game always makes me remember Link and Marin as children.

TreIII

The Oracle games are great but didn't grab me quite the same way as LADX.

Still blows my mind that Nintendo released two full-fledged Zelda games on the same day, and that connecting the two and completing both led to the true final boss.

Well, they weren't quite as good as LADX, but I loved the Oracle games all the same. I also ended up loving how both games ended up using the concept of "time" in a more interesting manner than the N64 games, on the same token.

I certainly do hope that KT is able to get past their anti-Capcom biases enough to give the Flagship games fair representation in the next game. Some of those on that squad went on to actually join Nintendo in full, after all.

Verilligo

If they don't give Marin a moveset involving a shovel, it'll be a huge missed opportunity given how much she gets into it whenever you use one.

Kevinroc

Thanks for the write-up. Nintendo's perpetual Tingle apprehension amuses me.

There are other details they went into, like the designs that went into Tetra's waterguns looking less like real firearms.

Somebody did ask about Vaati, and all they would say is they were looking into characters from portable games.

The developers really like Link's Awakening.

Some of Linkle's earlier designs had symbols on her back related to Hyrule and/or the Triforce. She uses crossbows as a nod to Link's Crossbow Training.

Medli uses her musical instrument as her weapon. And she has one attack where she divebombs the enemies and appears visibly stunned afterwards (very similar to when Toon Link throws her against a hard surface in Wind Waker).

Neiteio

Well, they weren't quite as good as LADX, but I loved the Oracle games all the same. I also ended up loving how both games ended up using the concept of "time" in a more interesting manner than the N64 games, on the same token.

I certainly do hope that KT is able to get past their anti-Capcom biases enough to give the Flagship games fair representation in the next game. Some of those on that squad went on to actually join Nintendo in full, after all.
Vaati seems like the most glaring omission, given he's been in multiple games at this point (Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures, etc).

So apparently at the panel they showed the Sea Lily's Bell, one of the Eight Instruments of the Sirens, next to Marin's artwork. It was edited out of the official image released by Nintendo.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MN9Mahb.jpg[/img]

I'm starting to get the feeling that she'll use all eight instruments in her move set, with the bell serving as her primary weapon.

giphy.gif

SO HYPE~

Ryce

Vaati seems like the most glaring omission, given he's been in multiple games at this point (Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures, etc).
Vaati and Groose are probably the two most popular/requested characters left at this point. I really want to see Twinrova, too -- they play a major role in Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games, and they also appear in Majora's Mask.

Neiteio

Vaati and Groose are probably the two most popular/requested characters left at this point. I really want to see Twinrova, too -- they play a major role in Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games, and they also appear in Majora's Mask.
I agree with all of that (including Koume & Kotake — heck, when I was a kid I came up with a moveset for them in Smash)

But how dare you not mention Saria

MAtgS

I agree with all of that (including Koume & Kotake — heck, when I was a kid I came up with a moveset for them in Smash)

But how dare you not mention Saria

Saria's screwed at this point. Lana took the Deku stick, Young Link the Kokiri Sword, & Skullkid got the ocarina & fairies. What's even left for Saria at this point?

Ryce

Lana's spear move set with some kind of ocarina implementation would have been perfect for Saria. I don't know why Koei Tecmo had to give Lana the spear -- she already has two other weapons, and I don't recall it having any real story significance. I feel the same way about Zelda's Wind Waker, which should have been held off for Toon Link.

NeonZ

Lana's spear move set with some kind of ocarina implementation would have been perfect for Saria. I don't know why Koei Tecmo had to give Lana the spear -- she already has two other weapons, and I don't recall it having any real story significance. I feel the same way about Zelda's Wind Waker, which should have been held off for Toon Link.

Lana is introduced leading some soldiers to protect the Great Deku Tree. Although the Great Deku Tree doesn't talk at all in Hyrule Warriors and it's not ever mentioned again after that stage so it does end up feeling random.

Because she's their Lightning in a bottle

SapphireZora

Neo Member
Marin is a fantastic addition in my opinion. :) The major missing players are Nabooru and Saria to me. It is a shame about the Deku Stick going to Lana and not Saria (I feel in the minority in that I actually like Lana) as she already has 2 other weapons. It would have been great for Saria. Maybe she can inherit the moveset in a sequel?

Though it doesn't seem like Nabooru is in the cards (judging by the focus on portable games and the names of the DLC), I still hope she winds up playable in Hyrule Warriors someday, be it as DLC or in a sequel. Dual-wielding scimitar moveset with a focus on sand attacks seems cool to me.

I don't know why Lana in general even needed to exist

Neiteio

Will Marin be available to download on WiiU in the U.S. this Thursday?

I hope so, because my friend might come over Friday, and he's never seen Hyrule Warriors or musou in general, but he loved LADX, and it'd be hilarious for him to see what Marin can do in this game. :)

Neiteio

Yeah, the North American trailer was uploaded today, and June 30 is the worldwide release date.
Great! And are Linkle, Toon Link, Tetra, King Daphnes, Skull Kid and Medli also available to download for WiiU? And how are they fitting all of these characters in the CSS??

Ryce

Great! And are Linkle, Toon Link, Tetra, King Daphnes, Skull Kid and Medli also available to download for WiiU? And how are they fitting all of these characters in the CSS??
Medli is already available, but the rest of those characters will be going up on the 30th along with Marin.

L4URYt5.jpg

Marin will probably go below Medli, but I don't know how they'll make room for future characters.

Neiteio

Someone refresh my memory: Does this game have the ability to recenter the camera behind your character with the press of a button? My friend struggles with second-stick camera control, but he was able to beat OoT by tapping L to recenter the camera.

Medli is already available, but the rest of those characters will be going up on the 30th along with Marin.

L4URYt5.jpg

Marin will probably go below Medli, but I don't know how they'll make room for future characters.
Could they move everything a bit to the right and maybe shrink the icons? You'd still have space left over for overscan.

L Thammy

She was the original boots. The proto-Lucina.

I know this was posted months ago, but:

Saria's the only female Kokiri with green boots, and Link's the only male Kokiri (you know what I mean) who wears brown boots. I like to think the two exchanged boots at some point as some kind of weird friendship ceremony. Or maybe they hang out so often that they forget whose boots are whose.

(I still haven't got around to reading my copy of Hyrule Historia, so maybe it was explained there?)

Top Bottom