• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marin From Links Awakening to join Hyrule Warriors as DLC

DNAbro

Played both ALTTP and LA for the first time two/three years ago.

A Link to the Past is a timeless masterpiece, Link's Awakening is kind of a mess, it's only a great achievement because it was on the original Game Boy. The comparison between the two holds no ground whatsoever.

ehhh not really in the mood to have this discussion again. I'm just going to say I disagree.

Griss

Played both ALTTP and LA for the first time two/three years ago.

A Link to the Past is a timeless masterpiece, Link's Awakening is kind of a mess, it's only a great achievement because it was on the original Game Boy. The comparison between the two holds no ground whatsoever.

The hell? Link's Awakening is the masterpiece, LttP is utterly soulless by comparison.

So, just to be clear, I can download the DLC characters for the Wii U version, right?

Granted, I was considering caving on Legends anyway, but...

It'll be interesting to compare her new Model to....that old SSBM render.

B7gDPZh.png

Huh, I remember that being one of Melee's best-looking trophies. Oh, how time ravages 3D so!

I know, I just find it funny that you think Pokemon Red holds up with its snail pace 4 direction walking.
I think Red is charming because it's so far in the opposite direction from what modern Pokemon games are like if that makes sense. It's like a little historical artifact.

Maybe I don't like 2D Zelda.

I know, I just find it funny that you think Pokemon Red holds up with its snail pace 4 direction walking.

The funny thing is, it's still way faster to get through than modern pokemon games because you don't have 20 minute trite discussions with your boring friends, and 50 different battle conditions to sit through like "the sun is shining harshly!"

I think Red is charming because it's so far in the opposite direction from what modern Pokemon games are like if that makes sense. It's like a little historical artifact.

Maybe I don't like 2D Zelda.

Link's Awakening is just as charming and a joy to play back then as it is now. Though my one knock against it was how cryptic some of the puzzle solutions were. Or finding keys/entrances to certain dungeons.

The funny thing is, it's still way faster to get through than modern pokemon games because you don't have 20 minute trite discussions with your boring friends, and 50 different battle conditions to sit through like "the sun is shining harshly!"

It was a simpler game with simpler graphics and attack animations. Newer games have more depth. Even with animations turned off, battles feel longer. Presentation with polygonal models tend to emote more than tiny sprites.

Axass

The hell? Link's Awakening is the masterpiece, LttP is utterly soulless by comparison.

Both are kind of scarce story-wise, LA's atmosphere is surely more charming, and it's the more quirky game of the two, but ALTTP's gameplay and dungeons are top-notch, the overworld is miles ahead and it's generally the blueprint for everything that's in the GB Zelda.

Playing ALTTP was bliss even in this day and age, LA mostly bored me, confused me at times and some of the design decisions puzzled me.

Just my honest opinion having played both games for the first time after 20 or so years since the day they originally came out. No nostalgia goggles here.

Moff

Both are kind of scarce story-wise, LA's atmosphere is surely more charming, and it's the more quirky game of the two, but ALTTP's gameplay and dungeons are top-notch, the overworld is miles ahead and it's generally the blueprint for everything that's in the GB Zelda.

Playing ALTTP was bliss even in this day and age, LA mostly bored me, confused me at times and some of the design decisions puzzled me.

Just my honest opinion having played both games for the first time after 20 or so years since the day they originally came out. No nostalgia goggles here.

that's weird. the dungeons are great in LA as well, but what LA does a lot better is the overworld.
in ALTTP you don't do much in it, it's alsmost a dungeon crawler. LA has a lot more and much better overworld content, while still having 9 great dungeons. which is also the main reason why I like it a lot more.

I wanna say I'm excited but I'm not 3 "yaaaAAASSSSsss" gifs excited. I forgot why Marin is important again. All I can recall was that she was a pretty cool char in LA

Nice to see her design modernized.

Actually, come to think of it, she's the first character in HW whose never appeared in 3D (besides Melee, I guess). She's also the oldest character on the roster (besides Zelda, Link and Impa, obviously)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's great, maybe it will help my impression that Marin is just kinda Malon but in 2D sprite form(never played LA but seen alot about it)

Toad.T

Banned
A small part of me thought the rep would be Crazy Tracy, in all honesty. She had that role in Captain Rainbow, which I figured would boost her up a smidge.

ReyVGM

Haven't played Hyrule Warriors, does it use music from the games the characters come from?
If it does, does that mean we'll get glorious arranged Link's Awakening music?!

Sawneeks

Banned
Wait, there was a HW panel at Wondercon??

I mean I stopped by the booth to play some Starfox/Metroid but I had no idea they were having one.

Gardios

Nice. I may have disliked LA for the most part but Marin was one of the few bright spots in that game.

I wonder if they'll reference that she totally gets off on Cucco abuse :3

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
A small part of me thought the rep would be Crazy Tracy, in all honesty. She had that role in Captain Rainbow, which I figured would boost her up a smidge.
The idea of Captain Rainbow was that all the characters in it were misfits who were forever ignored. Which continued to be true when everyone ignored Captain Rainbow!

NeonZ

that's weird. the dungeons are great in LA as well, but what LA does a lot better is the overworld.
in ALTTP you don't do much in it, it's alsmost a dungeon crawler. LA has a lot more and much better overworld content, while still having 9 great dungeons. which is also the main reason why I like it a lot more.

LA's overworld basically is a dungeon itself. It's very cramped and filled with obstacles - even compared to aLttP. I don't think everyone enjoys that style.

Yay, let's shoehorn fan service in that doesn't make sense.

She won't be a character in the main storyline. There's no story DLC this time. She comes alongside a new Adventure map in the 3ds game, a mode where the player explores 8-bit maps based on various Zelda games, using items to open the way, with one Hyrule Warriors battle scenario in each "square" of the map. The battles can have stuff like "Defeat the Ocarina of Time characters!" and such - there's no real storyline tying it all together, aside from "find and beat the Dark King Ganon!" which triggers the ending sequence. The player can obtain new characters, weapons and costumes through those maps, giving a sense of progression in spite of the lack of story.

Amani

They made Agitha work, so I'm down. Not gonna lie, kung-fu shopkeep would've been fine too.

I doubt it's possible at this point, but it would've been wonderful if the animal trio from the Oracle games made it in. A boxer in a Musou game of all things would've been hilarious if nothing else. Of course, Din and Nyaru would most likely be considered first.

Top Bottom