• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Framerate gets cut in half with more than 2 players.

How do you engineer the game so your game recognizes your opponents' game is running at 30fps even when yours can handle 60fps?

The same way it worked for Double Dash, where you have the second (or third or fourth...) console display 4 screens at 30fps even with only two or fewer players on that console. In Double Dash you had blank quadrants if you were playing in LAN mode with 3 or more players on one of the consoles.

Obviously it wouldn't work for online, but for local wireless it's a shame that it's not even an option.

Leatherface

Whelp. I bought it. I don't double dip often but damn it I love me some battle mode!
Wonder if Nintendo will throw in some more DLC post launch? Would be cool to at least get some more characters and vehicle parts.

It sure would have been lovely if Nintendo deducted the DLC price for Wii U MK8 from your Switch digital version. That would have been a nice gesture to people that bought the game previously.

Kickz

I don't know why this game didn't grab me on the WIiU like SOnic Racing Transformed on PC did.. Is there a fundamental difference I am missing???

So, are any stores releasing this thing at midnight? Amazon has been late a lot recently, my local gamestops aren't doing anything, but I've never thought to just try a 24-hour walmart at launch... would they possibly be able to sell me a copy then?

It sure would have been lovely if Nintendo deducted the DLC price for Wii U MK8 from your Switch digital version. That would have been a nice gesture to people that bought the game previously.

They did! MK8 is $59.99 digitally on Wii-U, and so is MK8D! No extra $12 fee for the DLC or battle mode! Nintendo did you a solid there.

/s

So, are any stores releasing this thing at midnight? Amazon has been late a lot recently, my local gamestops aren't doing anything, but I've never thought to just try a 24-hour walmart at launch... would they possibly be able to sell me a copy then?

In my experience, literally any Wal-Mart can sell you a game at 12:01 the day of release. I used to do that all the time with friends when certain games didn't have a proper midnight release at Gamestop. The only pain is just how informed your local Wal-Mart employees are. If they don't have any idea about the game you might need to work with them a bit.

AdanVC

I am too, it's weird. I think it's a combination of portability and a proper battle mode.

The portability possibilities are exciting for this game. Playing on the bus while going to school/work, you attract views from random people and you can even invite the person sitting next to you for one or two quick races and booom! You just made a new friend thanks to the Switch lol. Just be careful they don't ran away with the damn joycon!

We are going to have a battle mode at lunch friday.. among coworkers me and one other have a switch but talking about many others getting one

Kovacs

My UK retail copy arrived today(!) and I've been playing this evening.

This is my first Mario Kart since Double Dash and man has it changed. It sure is pretty and I love the Animal Crossing track so much I'd happily live in that town.

But man am I struggling with it online and at the higher CC's. But not quite for the reason you'd expect. Decades of racing games have conditioned me that triggers are accelerate and brake and I just cannot get my muscle memory around using the face buttons instead. It's fine at 50cc when there is time to think, but online I've shot off the course so many times as I've tried to adjust my drift only to shoot straight on because I've actually fired an item!

I'm loving the game but finding it hard to fathom that the only alternate control scheme is the gyro controls which at this time is really my only criticism.

Edit: Just adding a couple of screenshots. Looks really good in motion.
7MYXUXX.jpg

PixlNinja

Banned
We are going to have a battle mode at lunch friday.. among coworkers me and one other have a switch but talking about many others getting one

Same here. We have $1 cash games planned for Friday's lunch and probably a hell of a lot more days after that. We're a bunch of 30+ manly men but you can't take the Mario Kart out of the boy(s).

Just sucks that I can't find a pair of red or blue joycons anywhere at msrp. I really want to be able to get some 4-player action with my main crew over the weekend.

They did! MK8 is $59.99 digitally on Wii-U, and so is MK8D! No extra $12 fee for the DLC or battle mode! Nintendo did you a solid there.

/s

In my experience, literally any Wal-Mart can sell you a game at 12:01 the day of release. I used to do that all the time with friends when certain games didn't have a proper midnight release at Gamestop. The only pain is just how informed your local Wal-Mart employees are. If they don't have any idea about the game you might need to work with them a bit.

Gotcha. So I guess I'll call the one near me up to see if they'll let me snag one then. Or I suppose I could just wait for gamestop to open at 10 the next morning.

sonto340

Walmart will sell you nee releases right at midnight.
As a member of the overnight crew, management is.super serious about getting movies on the shelf at midnight sharp.
Less so with video games but they keep them around and will hand them out at midnight.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Walmart will sell you nee releases right at midnight.
As a member of the overnight crew, management is.super serious about getting movies on the shelf at midnight sharp.
Less so with video games but they keep them around and will hand them out at midnight.

I remember buying Super Mario 3D Land shortly after midnight at Walmart. I had to request a clerk go get it from the warehouse.

taoofjord

This is my first Mario Kart since Double Dash and man has it changed. It sure is pretty and I love the Animal Crossing track so much I'd happily live in that town.

But man am I struggling with it online and at the higher CC's. But not quite for the reason you'd expect. Decades of racing games have conditioned me that triggers are accelerate and brake and I just cannot get my muscle memory around using the face buttons instead. It's fine at 50cc when there is time to think, but online I've shot off the course so many times as I've tried to adjust my drift only to shoot straight on because I've actually fired an item!

I'm loving the game but finding it hard to fathom that the only alternate control scheme is the gyro controls which at this time is really my only criticism.

What a gorgeous game.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
MK64: Mario
MKDD: Toad & Diddy Kong (Bananagins Ensue in 1st Place!)
MKDS: Mario
MKWii: Mario
MK7: Metal Mario
MK8: Metal Mario
MK8D: Metal Mario, but will try other chars of course!

Probably won't help in any way, but In terms of comfort, the superior scheme is to use Y to accelerate instead of A.

0racle

Seriously? face buttons? I cant use triggers? the fuck...

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't know why this game didn't grab me on the WIiU like SOnic Racing Transformed on PC did.. Is there a fundamental difference I am missing???

Same here. I think MK8 has the polish, nostalgia and is a lot more casual. Sonic Transformed has phenomenal single player, is faster, more technical and items are all dodgeable with skill making it a more intense but ultimately a superior racer. Glitches hurt it, and performance on consoles was iffy.

You need triggers for drifting and items. Besides, why would you want to use triggers, you want to go slow or something?

There's no excuse for not allowing remapping to the scheme that basically every other racer uses. Fast RMX allows for both, easily.

J@hranimo

Banned
While remapping buttons is always cool, this is not a feature to expect in any Mario Kart. They've never done it, so why suddenly expect it now?

Top Bottom