• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Which is what makes this a little disappointing. I absolutely love this DLC, and already pre purchased it. But having it marketed so prominently in both the character selection screen and the track selection is just tasteless. If you don't want to buy this DLC, you shouldn't be burdened with an ad that covers an eighth of the entire screen. No matter how good of a deal it is - this is really annoying.
It really isn't that serious imo.

Zalman

BwB7sEYCMAAj_yu.jpg

o1UNa.gif

no update for me yet in canada, ON

I'm in Ontario and just downloaded the update.

For the Benz, you have to download it from the eShop.
For Yoshi/Shy Guy colors, you have to pre-order both DLC packs (either individually or as the bundle).
For the patch, you have to simply start the game as your Wii U would've already downloaded the update files.

Which is what makes this a little disappointing. I absolutely love this DLC, and already pre purchased it. But having it marketed so prominently in both the character selection screen and the track selection is just tasteless. If you don't want to buy this DLC, you shouldn't be burdened with an ad that covers an eighth of the entire screen. No matter how good of a deal it is - this is really annoying.

It's only temporary.

It really isn't that serious imo.

It's just distracting. If you didn't know about this update, and had no intention of purchasing any DLC - turning on your copy of Mario Kart today will just randomly place a massive ad in three of the most prominent screens of the game. It's a little insulting. You paid $60 for the game - why should it become a platform for ad placement, unless you're willing to accept it?

I think I just disagree with it on a moral level.

69wpm

I'm in Ontario and just downloaded the update.

For the Benz, you have to download it from the eShop.

No, you don't. I started MK8 a few minutes ago and an update popped up. It updated the game to 2.0. From the in-game shop I downloaded the Benz DLC and pre-ordered the other 2.

Griss

Holy shit I just went online and found a race full of Lewis Hamiltons, lmao.

Miis looking just like him in the new Merc Roadster thing. This is priceless, lol, even if I should be appalled.

EDIT: Why am I not surprised that no one was Rosberg, heh.

No, you don't. I started MK8 a few minutes ago and an update popped up. It updated the game to 2.0. From the in-game shop I downloaded the Benz DLC and pre-ordered the other 2.

Which is what I said. :) The in-game shop is basically the eShop. It's the same background code. Just UI might be different.

It's only temporary.

Do we know that for sure? Yeah, if you buy the DLC - it'll go away. But what if you choose not to? Are these just now a permanent addition to the menu? What if Nintendo puts in another set of DLC?

This sets a weird precedent.

It says I have 3800-something wins is that....accurate?! o_0 How many hours have I wasted on this...

If it's like the other mario kats, that doesn't mean you've done 3800 races.

For example, coming third in a 12 person race will get you 2 loses ( 2 people finished ahead of you) and 9 wins (9 people finished behind you)

Jackano

Do we know that for sure? Yeah, if you buy the DLC - it'll go away. But what if you choose not to? Are these just now a permanent addition to the menu? What if Nintendo puts in another set of DLC?

This sets a weird precedent.

I disagree. This is because they probably know few people go to the eShop compared to those who plays MK8. Not everyone read NeoGAF and its 3 MK8 DLC threads :)
This is making them aware of the new content from the game.

Ok, now we definitely need a Ferrari DLC. So many beautiful cars to chose from.

My 3 picks:

- 156 F1 'Sharknose' 1961
- Ferrari Testarossa 1984
- Ferrari 458 'Speciale'

I disagree. This is because they probably know few people go to the eShop compared to those who plays MK8. Not everyone read NeoGAF and its 3 MK8 DLC threads :)
This is making them aware of the new content from the game.

It's fine for them to get the word out. But the placement is just overkill. A one-time popup on the character & track screens would be fine, plus the Shop option on the main menu. But reminding you every time you choose a GP? It's intrusive.

Don't know if this is a glitch. But I got hit by a red shell, as a Blue Shell was going to hit me, and the Blue Shell didn't affect me!
Are the Mercedes time limited? My proper home internet still isn't hooked up yet...

No.

Should note how MK tracks stuff is say you come in 5th, it'll count that as 4 losses and 7 wins.
If not then I truly have no life.

Just checked my stats: 55 wins and 31 losses. I definitely played more than 7 races lol! And definitely more than 7 online races too.

ViviOggi

Those features should have been included at launch but at least they were thorough, aside from battle mode they fixed every issue I had with the game. I'll definitely jump back in.

Those teases though...

AdanVC

Baby Rosalina looks adorable on her Mercedes. She is now a sassy goddess and she has no time to collect star bits anymore.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0174sr5.jpg

Holy shit I just went online and found a race full of Lewis Hamiltons, lmao.

Miis looking just like him in the new Merc Roadster thing. This is priceless, lol, even if I should be appalled.

EDIT: Why am I not surprised that no one was Rosberg, heh.
If there was a Rosberg the race would turn into battle mode...

Don't know if this is a glitch. But I got hit by a red shell, as a Blue Shell was going to hit me, and the Blue Shell didn't affect me!
That sounds like typical racing game lag (and people want F-Zero, a game where contact with other drivers does matter to be online). Wonder what side it determines attacks or damage from (client is less work but prone to more bugs). It might be the shell didn't hit you because it targeted another driver (but on your sdide of the game it appeared to target you).

Wins/Losses seems to be based on online play. Just finished a Grand Prix, and it didn't change that stat. Also, I went and summed up the "wins" I have against the two friends I played online with, and it matches the number exactly. And the total of wins+losses seems accurate enough to be the number of total races I played against my friends (with the 150cc CPU filling in the rest).

Atouba

Just checked my stats: 55 wins and 31 losses. I definitely played more than 7 races lol! And definitely more than 7 online races too.

How many coins do you have? The lobby isn always full, so this can be still right.

edit:
Alright.
In MK7 the stats we also only for the online races (and local play). But its weird, that this isnt clear on the stats screen.

Gambit

I am expecting two more DLC packs. One with two more cups and the final one with one cup and a proper Battle Mode.

deleted

Can someone check if the game saves the statistics for Player 2 in online mode now, or if it does reset it back to 1000 each time again?

Top Bottom