• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Risgroo

Holy shit I just went online and found a race full of Lewis Hamiltons, lmao.

Miis looking just like him in the new Merc Roadster thing. This is priceless, lol, even if I should be appalled.

EDIT: Why am I not surprised that no one was Rosberg, heh.

Bahahahha, awesome!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wins/Losses seems to be based on online play. Just finished a Grand Prix, and it didn't change that stat. Also, I went and summed up the "wins" I have against the two friends I played online with, and it matches the number exactly. And the total of wins+losses seems accurate enough to be the number of total races I played against my friends (with the 150cc CPU filling in the rest).

Good to know. I did mess around with tilt controls awhile back but it was in a GP but the stat came up 0 so I was wondering about that.

Coins are probably counted in both modes atleast.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Which is what makes this a little disappointing. I absolutely love this DLC, and already pre purchased it. But having it marketed so prominently in both the character selection screen and the track selection is just tasteless. If you don't want to buy this DLC, you shouldn't be burdened with an ad that covers an eighth of the entire screen. No matter how good of a deal it is - this is really annoying.

I don't think Nintendo can afford not to do it. They need everybody who owns Mario Kart 8 to buy this DLC.

It's a bit gross but they need to get the word out there. This title needs to keep generating revenue.

kitsuneyo

Going to be a long few months
zlCfzSXu1VA78N6t6D

Where does F-Zero fit into those cups? Part of Zelda? Or one of the others?

Griss

So, how can you change the color of the mercedes kart? I thought that was possible.

One of the mercs changes colour depending on who's driving it, I think the other two remain silver. Select the merc (not the old-school one or the roadster, the normal one) and then press B to go back to character select. As you move between characters you'll see all the different colours.

CoolS

One of the mercs changes colour depending on who's driving it, I think the other two remain silver. Select the merc (not the old-school one or the roadster, the normal one) and then press B to go back to character select. As you move between characters you'll see all the different colours.

thanks!

Crossover characters are fine, but no Kirby? What were you thinking, Nintendo?

Anyway, what if I don't download the Mercedes cars? Will I still see other players using them online? Does the cpu pick them when playing offline? Can I eventually remove them later or am I screwed?

Argh, that obnoxious GLA make me very torn about what should I do.

Exile20

Gamepad minus button only

What the fuck nintendo. I have to reach for it at the start of each race?!?

That is just not true. I turned it on and it is on for every race and I even got disconnected and it is still on. I am not sure if it is on if I turn off the game tho.

Rich!

It's just distracting. If you didn't know about this update, and had no intention of purchasing any DLC - turning on your copy of Mario Kart today will just randomly place a massive ad in three of the most prominent screens of the game. It's a little insulting. You paid $60 for the game - why should it become a platform for ad placement, unless you're willing to accept it?

I think I just disagree with it on a moral level.

Would you rather have ads for consumer products like on the xbone?

Nintendos tactic is great. Every single user, casual or hardcore, will be anticipating the updates in November and May. Not everyone uses the eshop or gaming sites for news.

Think what impact this will have on the casual user who may be thinking of selling their game. They have a legitimate, constant reminder of why they shouldnt.

I don't think Nintendo can afford not to do it. They need everybody who owns Mario Kart 8 to buy this DLC.

It's a bit gross but they need to get the word out there. This title needs to keep generating revenue.

That's a nice excuse for them, but this DLC isn't going to generate that much revenue. The vast majority of people who bought this game aren't still playing it.

Atouba

Any ideas, how the Online Lobbys will work after release of the dlc? Probably there will be splitted to "Lobby without DLC", "Lobby with DLC 1", "Lobby with DLC 2" and "Lobby with all DLC"? I dont know how many people will buy this, but maybe the most players will stay in "Lobby without DLC" and it will be hard to find players online, with the DLC or something.

Griss

It's just distracting. If you didn't know about this update, and had no intention of purchasing any DLC - turning on your copy of Mario Kart today will just randomly place a massive ad in three of the most prominent screens of the game. It's a little insulting. You paid $60 for the game - why should it become a platform for ad placement, unless you're willing to accept it?

I think I just disagree with it on a moral level.

Agreed 100%, and said as much in the other thread. I had already bought it, and even I'm unhappy about seeing that big ad every time I play.

They should have limited it to the new shop tab. That would have been okay.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's a nice excuse for them, but this DLC isn't going to generate that much revenue. The vast majority of people who bought this game aren't still playing it.

Are you sure about that?
you should also keep in mind that the new contents and the buzz generated will also help to sell new copies of the game, that is the main goal to me for them

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My source is every single metric ever released by a developer related to people still playing months after release.

you should really reconsider the generic aassumption.
there are different kind of games out there. MK8 is an evergreen game, that of course loses players after release, but able to keep the vast majority of them hooked for a long time. especially for multiplyare sessions. Plus, the game is still selling very well in the chart WW, so the in-game AD for the DLC will hit a very large amount of MK8 owners.

It's only temporary.
The last three will be there until May 2015 - that's an 8 month advertisement on the character and cup select screens.
I disagree. This is because they probably know few people go to the eShop compared to those who plays MK8. Not everyone read NeoGAF and its 3 MK8 DLC threads :)
This is making them aware of the new content from the game.
There's a brand new Shop option in the Main Menu. It even has a red exclamation point on it.
The ads on the select screen are unnecessary.

Broritos

If you'd like to believe that MK8 is this unique game where the majority of people who bought it months ago are still playing it today, be my guest. But the history of data on this topic suggests there is no reason to believe that.

People still play Runescape.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That's extremely over-dramatic.

Not really, this is the one title they have that people keep playing, Mario Kart is their most popular console franchise. Wii U software is selling like absolute shit so if they can get half the people who own Mario Kart 8 to buy this DLC it will probably make them more money than most of their retail titles.

vanty

So annoyingly you need to press Select on the Gamepad to get the map to appear, no other controller (Pro controller at least) works. However I just tried it out and confirmed it will then stay there not just for that play session but even if you close and relaunch the game. So at least the one minor annoyance is just a one time thing unless you want to turn the map on and off constantly for some reason.

Top Bottom