• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Also snuck into Hyrule Castle in OOT and hung some pictures of him and his mates on the walls.

mario_pictures_hyrule.png

Bought the DLC and downloaded the free Benz pack. But they are not showing up in the game. Maybe because the game is not updated, but the new update has not appeared for me. I restarted the console and started the game a couple of times but nothing is happening.
Turn off the Wii, wait for the orange light, turn it on, start MK8.

Kup

I just packed away my Wii U as I'm moving home soon. I will unpack it tonight to update the game and pre-purchase this DLC.

This is the first pre-order for any DLC for me and on a Nintendo platform, who'd have thought it?

Looking at the character select grid we could maybe possibly see another 2-4 DLC packs!?. If each DLC has 3 new characters there's room for another 6 characters squares each side of the current character select grid. Maybe 4 DLC packs is asking a bit much but another 2 looks a possibility.

Begs the question which characters would you like to see, for me it would be.....

Birdo
Hammer Bro
Wart
Kamen
Dry Bones
Petey Piranha
Diddly Kong
Dixie Kong
Pit
Star Fox
Samus
Pikachu

Works out nice actually as there's 6 characters from the directly from the Mario universe and 6 that are not

Star Fox is a no brainer. Landmaster transforms to arwing for gliding sections transforms to deep blue sub for underwater. That needs to happen yesterday.

tebunker

Banned
This might be the first time I've ever preordered DLC. Feels strange.

If only they would have done DLC updates every 3 months instead of every 6, May 2015's a long time to wait for the second pack.
Amiibo may have something to do with that, but otherwise I completely agree

Forkball

Got first place. The next race I got 12th. MARIO KART.

Also shame on those who use green Yoshis. I saw black, blue, light blue, white, and red ones after playing for a bit. I also saw a race with five Metal Marios but that's nothing new.

Also shame on those who use green Yoshis. I saw black, blue, light blue, white, and red ones after playing for a bit. I also saw a race with five Metal Marios but that's nothing new.

Is Metal Mario supposed to be the Brawl Meta Knight of MK8 or something?

Kup

I've had a look through this thread a few times and wonder if someone can confirm something for me, please?

I don't keep credit card details on the eShop (and I saw a comment in this thread that you couldn't pre-purchase without a credit card). But what if I have eShop Cards, can I pre-purchase using the value from those? I am at work at the moment so can't check and don't really want to add a credit card (ideally). =(

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I downloaded and installed the update, but can't find any of the Benz.

You need to get also the free Mercedes DLC from eshop ( Mk8 in add-on content)

I've had a look through this thread a few times and wonder if someone can confirm something for me, please?

I don't keep credit card details on the eShop (and I saw a comment in this thread that you couldn't pre-purchase without a credit card). But what if I have eShop Cards, can I pre-purchase using the value from those? I am at work at the moment so can't check and don't really want to add a credit card (ideally). =(

You can use the eshop Cards to add money to your wallet and then use those to pre-order the DLC pack.

tkscz

You can use the eshop Cards to add money to your wallet and then use those to pre-order the DLC pack.

I did do that. What I had to do was restart the game for some reason.

Kup

Perfect, thanks for your reply! I guess it's off to the shop to buy my first eShop Card.

Arclaid

Can't use alt colour Yoshis if green Yoshi is the only one available to me.

I need to purchase some eShop cards first.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Both of my downloads took abnormal short times to download, like less than 15 seconds for download and installation total. What is this sorcery?

I always thought Hyrule and the Mushroom Kingdom were neighboring countries with very strict immigration laws. That's why you only see villains crossing the borders because they don't respect the law.
#DeepestLore

Eiolon

The Luigi stare needs to be recreated with the Mercedes then it would truly be gangsta. I hope they make an update that allows one player to use the game pad as their TV and the second player to have the TV all to themselves.

L~A

Press minus on the gamepad (even if you're using another controller). If you put it on it'll stay on even if you turn off the console.

Ha, just realised I didn't update the OP with that tidbit... thought I did though.

Hopefully, that'll stop the questions about the locations of the mysterious map :p

Have to agree with some other people that I'm a little pissed off about the DLC tracks appearing in the main UI. I know it's a great business tactic but it's still annoying. One (of many!) things I like about MK8 is how clean the menus are.

It doesn't really matter to me in this case too much because I'm almost defiantly going to buy all the DLC. But it sets a bad precedent. I hope I don't get DLC ads all over my future Nintendo titles.

Have they added the lap/race times to the end of races yet? I always felt like that was something huge that was missing from the game. When my friend and I would have a really close race in previous MK games, we'd always love to see how close our times were, and if I remember (I haven't played MK8 in a while), that wasn't there.

Have they added the lap/race times to the end of races yet? I always felt like that was something huge that was missing from the game. When my friend and I would have a really close race in previous MK games, we'd always love to see how close our times were, and if I remember (I haven't played MK8 in a while), that wasn't there.

No… but there are definitely things that are not in Nintendo's changelog. I think people reported that you now automatically post a screencapture of your time when you upload a new record in Time Trials to Miiverse.

L~A

Didn't they remove that in MK7?

balgajo

I hope they remove fire hoping on next update.
Week one was much more fun. Now a lot of people uses that online, so I don't play the game for a while.
If they don't fix it I will come back when they release the DLCs!!

No… but there are definitely things that are not in Nintendo's changelog. I think people reported that you now automatically post a screencapture of your time when you upload a new record in Time Trials to Miiverse.

Aww, that's a shame (about the times not being in there still). I just don't understand why they don't put it back in there. It seems like something very valuable to have in a racing game (even if it's just a kart racer).

Didn't they remove that in MK7?

I don't remember; haven't played MK7 in a while. They should still bring it back, though. :(

J@hranimo

Banned
So after a few races I learned you can only activate the on-screen map with the Ganepad, not the pro controller. Not a big deal at all, but something that confused me before.

Top Bottom