• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

69wpm

aXRqbr2.png

Big like for the dedicated MK8 page on NOA's YouTube channel.

AWWW YISSS! The MediaMarkt in Gent was just stocking MK8 this evening because tomorrow's a holiday. Grabbed myself the limited edition for 59€ :)

Hasney

Can't say I'm surprised that a CEX already has one. They were selling copies of Pokémon X and Y early as well.
Is it safe to assume that the copies are likely stolen copies? Or are people just buying it for the free game download code?

I wouldn't say one way or the other. I know my physical pre-order is for a free game to burn on another club nintendo account for the code, then have a digital one to keep.

Eiolon

I don't think I've been so anxious to play a game since waiting for Ocarina of Time in '98. I didn't think a Mario Kart game would have that same impact.

I have a huuuuuuuge Mario Kart backlog... I played the hell out of the first one on the SNES, but then I skipped the N64 and the Gamecube consoles (I was a Saturn/Playstation/Dreamcast guy), so I never played MK64 and Double Dash. I got myself a DS, but since I don't like playing racing games on portables, I played MK DS for about two hours and quit.

Then came the Wii, my first real opportunity to enjoy a MK since the SNES days. However, I found MK Wii really boring (seems like many people agree), and quickly realized I was having more fun playing Sonic All-Stars Racing (and yes, I'm talking about the first SASR, not the amazing Transformed).

Now I'm really pumped about MK8. It might be the greatest Mario Kart ever. Seems like it's biggest flaw is lack of innovation, but since I've been away from MK for so long, that's not a problem. So, in a sense, I feel lucky to have skipped all those MK titles... and I know how stupid this may sound, but that's how I feel now. It's like years and years of delayed MK fun are glued together and suddenly drop on my house like a giant bomb!

I had a similar feeling when I bought my Wii wii Metroid Prime Trilogy. I had never played any of the Prime games, and I was in heaven from the moment I first booted Trilogy.

guit3457

Been playing for 2 hours and I'm very impressed with this game. It's just fantastic.

Have you seen the fire and lava effects in Bowser's Castle circuit?? o_O

NotLiquid

Man while I was doing groceries I noticed that a prominent gaming magazine of this country, Level, had come out with their new issue and it's a really slick looking cover they've got for it (would post it but GAF policies and all). Little to no text on it with the promotional image of the Toad helping Mario out with gas, and the text "The best game of the year". It got a two-page review and four of their writers reviewed it, one of them giving it a perfect score too. My excitement is getting hard to contain.

I think this week's Famitsu cover has Mario Kart on it too? At the very least I've seen an image doing rounds which is an image I've never seen before; one where Mario on a buggy is locking heads with Bowser on the race track.

klodeckel

Banned
Could someone tell me the controller layout for this game with the Wii U Pro controller?

Can I still accelerate with X and use drift with B? Item with LT?

Pyrokai

Feels like everyone already has this game expect me. D:

I'm not so lucky either, don't worry :(

Life is unfair!

I'm going to check a crappy Kmart here shortly that probably has no idea when games come out though. We'll see if they just threw it in their mess if a video game shelf with all the other "Mario Kart Wiis"

Jito

Banned
Wii U ordered and coming on monday with Mario Kart, 3D World and using the free download for Donkey Kong. Can't wait for a Nintendo overload!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So say I'm looking to buy a WiiU mostly for MarioKart.

What else do I need to buy besides the WiiU? 3 or 4 Wii Remote's? What about the Pro controllers? And can I use the touchpad as one of the motion controllers?

Yes, the Gamepad can be used as a wheel, it has an even better gyro sensor than the wiimote plus. If you want motion controllers then you need 3 more wiimotes (for a 4 players local game). Pro Controller is a very nice controller, but has no gyro. But its battery holds for 80 hours.

eShop download will be up Thursday night, right guys?

Right?

Thursday to Friday night, yes.

Man while I was doing groceries I noticed that a prominent gaming magazine of this country, Level, had come out with their new issue and it's a really slick looking cover they've got for it (would post it but GAF policies and all). Little to no text on it with the promotional image of the Toad helping Mario out with gas, and the text "The best game of the year". It got a two-page review and four of their writers reviewed it, one of them giving it a perfect score too. My excitement is getting hard to contain.

I think this week's Famitsu cover has Mario Kart on it too? At the very least I've seen an image doing rounds which is an image I've never seen before; one where Mario on a buggy is locking heads with Bowser on the race track.

You're allowed to post the cover.

Covers are allowed under the logic of "the cover exists as promotional material anyway," I think. No one is gonna say, "Now that I have seen the cover, this thing is pointless and my desire to buy it is gone."

Hasney

Hey, can I go back in time so one of you gets my Watch_Dogs copy early like I did and I sacrifice that for MK8 early? Pretty please?

Khrno

ShopTo just sent me the dispatch email.

Please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow.

AGoodODST

I had actually completely forgotten about the free game offer. I have them all other than Wii Party U and Game and Wario. Any recommendations? I'm kind of edging towards Wario.

Chopper

ShopTo just sent me the dispatch email.

Please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow, please arrive tomorrow.
Not received my email yet, but website says completed, first class. Come ooooooon tomorrow.

Berordn

I had actually completely forgotten about the free game offer. I have them all other than Wii Party U and Game and Wario. Any recommendations? I'm kind of edging towards Wario.

Between the two of them, I'd go Game & Wario. Some of the games are actually fun (Gamer, Taxi, Patchwork) and a couple of the others are at least neat novelties worth trying (Shutter and Ski). Plus it's got Pictionary. Who doesn't love Pictionary?

Edit: accidental post. Game looks great and I've held out so far from looking at much media outside of Nintendo Directs. I don't think I even know the full track list, so hopefully I can stay pure until launch.

Wiz

This has probably been answered but in Grand Prix mode can you unlock things 4 times as fast if you have 4 players?

Davey Cakes

Should I get the MK8 bundle with some of my grad money? Is now the right time to jump into the Wii U?
Yes. There's already plenty to play on the console, plus you'll have MK and you'll be ready for any further major releases down the line.

You could also wait until E3 and see if the future prospects interest you.

But, for now the value isn't bad with the bundle, especially considering the FREE GAME.

I played this at GameStop recently and it was jaggies galore. Like some if the worst I've ever seen.

That won't be in the retail relead right?

Should I get the MK8 bundle with some of my grad money? Is now the right time to jump into the Wii U?

It's probably the best value of the next gen systems so far based on games currently out/coming soon, especially if you get the $200 refurbished system with Nintendoland included directly from Nintendo (https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/). You could then pick up MK8 for ~$60 and also get a free pick of one of the promo games and already have three great games for about $260 + tax.

Khrno

Not received my email yet, but website says completed, first class. Come ooooooon tomorrow.

Still no email with the photo proof, and looking through my order history, the only other time when they didn't the photo was last year for the collectors edition of FFXIV, but I still got it the day before release.

Top Bottom