• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

Brizzo24

Beat the game, and then some!

• World 1's story and all challenges, all perfect
  • World 2's story and all challenges, all perfect
  • World 3's story and all challenges but 6, can't find it, all perfect
  • World 4's story and about 2-3 challenges, mostly perfect

Loved the game. Way more than I thought I would. Before M + R I never even heard of the Xcom series, nor could I draw any comparisons. Strategy games aren't even my thing; though that's not to say I am completely discouraged by them. It's just hard to justify a full game price ($60) for a genre that seems foreign to me. The Mario aesthetic, and ease of introduction, made it really easy to get started on this game and run with it.

What I find funny, or maybe even puzzling, is how I, a complete novice in this genre, never felt discouraged, or that the game was unfair. Sure, I had to restart a battle or two, but nothing that warranted a bitch-fest, or online complaining about how this game is unfair. It's all about the right team, and understanding the mechanics of your fighters. After a failure, I would envision tough battles in my head, and how I could change tactics to ensure a victory. I saw grids in my sleep! Haha.

My one gripe, and it's small to say the least, is how if you enter the Washing Machine to replay a story battle (in order to get a perfect) you have to revisit in-game puzzles. For example, I wanted to replay 8-4's
big four-round
fight. However, I have to perform a series of puzzles, something I did already. That, to me, is obnoxious. Why can't you just appear right before the fight flags?! Other than that, this game had me hooked and I look forward to the DLC.

faridmon

Use the pipes to move your units around. the boss will put a exploding car that moves towards you and he also moves towards you when you shoot him so if you put 2 and 2 together..

Shooting him will make him step into his own kart, also you can jugle him by attacking from 2 different directions, and move to and use a pipe to move to another part of the map if he gets too close.

Yep, you should put your team members far enough in different directions. Attack with one, he'll move towards one party member, then attack with the next party member. He'll move around but keep getting damage. The pipes are definitely there for you to exploit yeah.

Thanks, I'll try this strategy

Fliesen

Can anyone help me with this?

https://imgur.com/a/51bXr

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the boxes?

replicate the positioning of the boxes in the background on the right.

I think you need to push the left box to the right (as it'll need to be 2 squares from the bottom right box).

so: middle left to the right. bottom right further towards the bottom. Top box: move it around to reach the top left corner of the elongated area

Coxy100

Banned
You need to
match the position of those blocks with the blocks in the top right corner of the screenshot
Thank you both. I’m trying this but nothing seems to happen. What’s supposed to happen?

I’m wondering if I understand it right

Edit - aha done it thanks!

0racle

If I want a 100% save file do I just need to beat the game, and all challenges as well as find all look crates in each level?

or do I need to go back , and get a PERFECT rating on every single battle....?

andthebeatgoeson

Just started playing. Why do i clear a board, it saves, i quit to peaches castle and when i restart, it forces me to do the previous board i completed?

Finished 1.6, make it to 1.7, quit. Restart and I'm back before 1.6.

Coxy100

Banned
Damn world 3 is a big step up in difficulty. Just lost the first battle - never happened before. (Apart from the first boss)

They are just too far apart the annoying gits.

JayBabay

I beat this game over the course of a week. I really enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone on the fence about it to give it a shot. I'm not a stranger to strategy games but sometimes the amount of preparation and having to repeat stages due to small mistakes costing you heavily discouraged me from diving too deep into them. This was overall quite enjoyable even though it was on the easier side of things, it was still fun to play around with different combinations and take advantage of certain units strengths and adaptability to different environments.

The puzzles between levels were fun to solve and gave nice side content between battles, although some were just tedious. I haven't gone through and finished all of the challenges but it was a fun run through and through and I think they would be good to get back to when I have an hour with my Switch on the go.

Just bought this , it’s a lot harder then I anticipated , I am losing guys just on the first world with those thwump rabbids .

My first tactical game in a long time , I am glad it’s slightly dumbed down :)

Fantastic game all round

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I've done everything apart from a few chests and the ultimate challenges. Looked at two of them and they looked really long and couldn't be arsed.

Actually I think I've got a secret world to find, better do that before someone buys my copy!

Loved the game, depending on how substantial the DLC is I might pick it up again.

I'm pretty new to turn based strategy games, only one I played before was Advance Wars on the DS and I was hopeless at it, but I actually found this pretty easy most of the time. Although I did the challenges after I completed each world, so was fairly powerful.

Was dreading World 3 after reading people's comments on here, but I was fine with most of it.

Can't see anything else topping this as my 'surprise of the year' game!

cantona222

Thank you Ubisoft for making me feel smart beating Challenge 3-2. The one where the tornado pushes you to reach the yellow areas.

This game has been an absolute blast!

Finally have everything done except Ultimate Challenge 4. Tried it once but got destroyed pretty quickly. Any tips and tricks?

CTLance

So I bought this today and started it on a whim while MH:S was downloading and now it's three in the morning of tomorrow and I just beat the (the first real boss)
Rabbid Piranha plant
... barely. Jeebus. I suck at these kinds of games (and bought this anyway). The splash effect from its weapon fucked me over properly. Even hiding behind the indestructible pipes didn't really work as well as I had thought. I probably missed something obvious because it's freaking three a.m. in the morning and I have all the XCOM skills of a three year old mouldy bread even while in tip-top shape.

Lost Mario and Rabbid Luigi rather quickly and was already thinking of restarting with that tempting easy toggle when Rabbid Peach came through and single handedly wiped the entire map. It started with her suddenly nailing a foe at extreme range with a low probability, even achieving crit damage. This cornucopia of carnage pretty much continued until everyone else on the map was dead. It was a continuous rain of Hail Mary shots and clutch saves.
You don't fuck with Rabbid Peach, I guess.

I haven't really researched online or followed this thread to avoid spoilers but I strongly suspect the game has some sort of noob mechanic where your characters scale up in capabilities if you are in danger of failing.

Game is hilarious so far. Can't wait to come back later and hopefully fare better against that weed. This is pretty much the tutorial boss, dammit, I need to regain my honour. What little there is left of it, anyway.

I'm amazed how quickly I got over weaponised Mario and Rabbids in costumes. Damn good job from the Devs. Everything meshes neatly, and the game is amazingly entertaining, even to a SRPG troglodyte like me.

illusionary

Finally have everything done except Ultimate Challenge 4. Tried it once but got destroyed pretty quickly. Any tips and tricks?

Don't rush, you have plenty of time, easily 6-7 turns spare, possibly more. Enemy spawns are based on Toad's progression through the level, so don't advance until you've taken out all enemies currently in the area. Which characters are you using? My trusty Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Luigi combo got me through this, in particular using the healing from Rabbid Luigi's dash and Rabbid Mario's melee attack. When you get to the loop just before the final three-path section, using the high ground can be really helpful.

So I bought this today and started it on a whim while MH:S was downloading and now it's three in the morning of tomorrow and I just beat the (the first real boss)
Rabbid Piranha plant
... barely. Jeebus. I suck at these kinds of games (and bought this anyway). The splash effect from its weapon fucked me over properly. Even hiding behind the indestructible pipes didn't really work as well as I had thought. I probably missed something obvious because it's freaking three a.m. in the morning and I have all the XCOM skills of a three year old mouldy bread even while in tip-top shape.

Lost Mario and Rabbid Luigi rather quickly and was already thinking of restarting with that tempting easy toggle when Rabbid Peach came through and single handedly wiped the entire map. It started with her suddenly nailing a foe at extreme range with a low probability, even achieving crit damage. This cornucopia of carnage pretty much continued until everyone else on the map was dead. It was a continuous rain of Hail Mary shots and clutch saves.
You don't fuck with Rabbid Peach, I guess.

I haven't really researched online or followed this thread to avoid spoilers but I strongly suspect the game has some sort of noob mechanic where your characters scale up in capabilities if you are in danger of failing.

Game is hilarious so far. Can't wait to come back later and hopefully fare better against that weed. This is pretty much the tutorial boss, dammit, I need to regain my honour. What little there is left of it, anyway.

I'm amazed how quickly I got over weaponised Mario and Rabbids in costumes. Damn good job from the Devs. Everything meshes neatly, and the game is amazingly entertaining, even to a SRPG troglodyte like me.

That first mini-boss was also the first time I got crushed in this game.
And there is no noob-mechanic in this game. But before battle there is the option to choose easy-mode which heals all your team members and grants them 50% additional health for this fight.

TZchassis

Just finished 3-1. Game is fantastic. Has anyone tried the co-op mode? Is it actually fun or is it pointless? Also how is it balanced given my progression / upgraded weapons?

I hope that they would add a PvP mode and a level creator at some point as part of the DLC. That would make the game perfect.

And just like with most of these strategic games I have abandoned it near the ending. Too many things feel unfair at this point and I really hate the mini boss in world 4 (why do I have to restart a match before?).
Overall this game really didn't click with me. It's been fun at times, even surprising in the details but the core gameplay and the exploration bored me. Felt like having to complete tasks instead of just having fun.
I'm proud that this got made in Italy and people love it, but man it makes me shake my head to read comments like "it's a Nintendo game", because this really feels like Ubisoft 100%.

That first ultimate challenge keeps kicking my ass. Anyone care to give tips/what team you used? :(

Just beat it today, second attempt.

Team: Mario, Peach, Rabbid Peach

Strategy: Immediately kill the blizzy dudes on both sides since specials are an important part of this teams approach and getting frozen will really fuck you up. After killing them reconvene at the bottom of the map (where the chain chomps were, should be safe space with them going after the piranha plants and tornado dudes). Heal up then charge back into the fray, going after the unique trio. Save the calaveras for next to last, then finally finish off the mech in the center. Rabbid peach can be shielded every turn, between her shield and Peach's ally guard ability. Team jump peach every turn, use m power aggressively and don't be afraid to take some damage by standing near a box to block a shot.

Really enjoyed how tough this fight was!

jariw

Just finished 3-1. Game is fantastic. Has anyone tried the co-op mode? Is it actually fun or is it pointless? Also how is it balanced given my progression / upgraded weapons?

It's fun. You get a 4 party team instead of 3, and on the tougher challenges,you need to take turns and plan together.

Multiplayer can use the progression made so far in the single player campaign.

My one gripe, and it's small to say the least, is how if you enter the Washing Machine to replay a story battle (in order to get a perfect) you have to revisit in-game puzzles. For example, I wanted to replay 8-4's
big four-round
fight. However, I have to perform a series of puzzles, something I did already. That, to me, is obnoxious. Why can't you just appear right before the fight flags?! Other than that, this game had me hooked and I look forward to the DLC.

One thing I'd say about this is that now and then there'll be big mushrooms to restore HP between two fights in the same series, and so without doing that puzzle section in the middle it could disadvantage you in your attempt to get a perfect.

That's probably why the choice was made.

Velcro Fly

So is this game harder or easier than Code Name STEAM? I had a mostly okay time with CNS but sometimes I ran into situations where the endless respawns just fucked me over and I'd have to restart a really long mission. And certain maps in that game felt almost designed around using a certain combination without much room to experiment.

If I handled myself well on that, would I be at home here? I have not played XCOM.

Don't rush, you have plenty of time, easily 6-7 turns spare, possibly more. Enemy spawns are based on Toad's progression through the level, so don't advance until you've taken out all enemies currently in the area. Which characters are you using? My trusty Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Luigi combo got me through this, in particular using the healing from Rabbid Luigi's dash and Rabbid Mario's melee attack. When you get to the loop just before the final three-path section, using the high ground can be really helpful.

Appreciate it! I was initially using Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Luigi, but I swapped out Luigi for Rabbid Peach so I could heal up Toad and use her drones. I took it slow and kept everyone healed up and I managed to get it done. Gold save slot now!

So is this game harder or easier than Code Name STEAM? I had a mostly okay time with CNS but sometimes I ran into situations where the endless respawns just fucked me over and I'd have to restart a really long mission. And certain maps in that game felt almost designed around using a certain combination without much room to experiment.

If I handled myself well on that, would I be at home here? I have not played XCOM.

Completely forgot I played that...

I've only really played Code Name STEAM and Fire Emblem, and I found this to be the toughest but still very accessible. The difficulty and mechanics are introduced slowly and not once did I feel the game was being unfair - it's all about strategizing and messing around with your different teams.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Because there are plenty of turns you don't even need Luigi per se. I ended up getting it with 6 or 7 turns to spare with Rabbid Mario and Rabbid Peach. I always cleaned up the waves, so by the end it was just single 50 hp drones spawning, was surprised at how easy it was.

edit: looks like you did the same, congrats on the gold save man.

Been playing in portable mode since Saturday as I'm on vacation and not rushing, taking my sweet time with each battle and retrying the challenges of I fail, I love it.

So many hours of great gameplay and I'm only 25% done

Wallach

This game is way too good. Can’t believe I love it.

I feel the same way, haha. Like, if I ever find a time machine and go back even like five years, this is one of those games past me will not believe actually exists.

“It’s Mario and X-COM. Also Rabbids.”

“Riiiiiiiight...”

Ourobolus

Banned
Whew. Finally have Perfects on all levels and all chests found (of course the last two I found were in the hub area TOWARDS the camera from where you start...).

Just gotta do the ultimate challenges now

Amneisac

An absolutely wonderful game. I can’t even think of the last time I have 100%’d a game, but this was a joy. I even started through on a second play through. I want more levels and challenges!

Now I have no idea what to play next... Stardew Valley, Golf Story, or Steamworld... only money for one...

faridmon

An absolutely wonderful game. I can’t even think of the last time I have 100%’d a game, but this was a joy. I even started through on a second play through. I want more levels and challenges!

Now I have no idea what to play next... Stardew Valley, Golf Story, or Steamworld... only money for one...

I am definitely gonna get the DLC. I haven't finished it yet, taking my sweet time, but I want more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I am definitely gonna get the DLC. I haven't finished it yet, taking my sweet time, but I want more.

Still on the fence a bit considering the dlc: on one hand I want more, but on the other I'm not sure if I'll bite immediately since it's just challenges. Those are a nice extra, but I may hold out til the actual story expansion next year.

faridmon

Still on the fence a bit considering the dlc: on one hand I want more, but on the other I'm not sure if I'll bite immediately since it's just challenges. Those are a nice extra, but I may hold out til the actual story expansion next year.

Oh for sure. I'll surely wait for more information in regards to those extra challenges, and maybe even further for more details for the story extension.

low-G

Just want to throw in my belated 2c that I'm over halfway through the main chunk of the game (minus challenges / all secrets) and I'm happy that I haven't found any way to break the challenge, but I still feel good about feeling like I am getting an edge over the game with my technique (the same thing that feels good in XCom / XCom 2)

ozfunghi

Bought the game used for €38 last sunday. Really enjoying it. Just started the second world. Need to finish 3 challenges of the first world still.

I think the lay-out of the hub leaves to be desired. It's often very confusing and many intersections look very much alike. An actual map might help in some cases. But the gameplay and level lay-out is very fun. The game looks really good as well.

0racle

I finally beat everything, now to go back and clean up.

Those ultimate challenges are a nightmare !

50 hrs played so far. I must be horrible !

Can't seem to find info elsewhere, but I got an update this evening which bumped up the game to 1.2.400297.

Can't tell what's been changed, but the frame rate seems to be noticeably worse(?) in the hub world while docked.

Edit: actually make that everywhere. Not sure if I'm just seeing things but the game seems much less smooth than before.

CTLance

Can I just say, fuck those healer Rabbids and their thrice-blasted elemental grenades. I'm starting to genuinely enjoy plotting the demise of those darn idiots. 100% hit rate, ridiculous range, complete cover destruction, and my peeps just love grabbing that one status effect I seriously don't want to have right that turn.

The boss of the second world felt kinda unfair because it didn't give me a choice which member of my team to substitute with the new character. Rabbid Luigi is kinda meh against the boss since it's too big to be vamp-tackled and is immune to most(/all?) status effects, which is where I put most of my focus with Rabbid Luigi. Bad match-up.

Currently traipsing through the ghost world. Already missing (non-Rabbid, stare-focused) Luigi, but with the teleporting enemies and his seriously low health pool he is just way too much of a liability right now. Boooh. This is like the one setting where he should excel, dammit.

For a game type that runs counter to my every preference and skillset, I'm having outright sinful amounts of fun.

Top Bottom