• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Pachimari

They've been filming Black Panther for a while. I expect a teaser trailer.

And we won't get new movie announcements for a while. We got Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4 and Homecoming 2 after Infinity War.

Punisher Netflix in November?
Nobody knows. Probably November-December.

They've been filming Black Panther for a while. I expect a teaser trailer.

And we won't get new movie announcements for a while. We got Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4 and Homecoming 2 after Infinity War.

Nobody knows. Probably November-December.

I can post the quote now, from Dearbhla Walsh, director of one of the Punisher episodes (don't click if you're into Fargo)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/fargo-dearbhla-walsh-lord-no-mercy-interview-1007504 said:
From Tudors to Penny Dreadful, you've directed a lot of television that has aired stateside, but was this your first time crossing the pond, as it were, to direct episodic TV?

One other time that hasn't been aired yet, which was an episode for the new Marvel series The Punisher, which I did just before Christmas, but it's not airing until November. I directed that in New York and edited in L.A., but this was my first directing experience in lovely Canada.

Fhtagn

I'm working my way through all the films in order now in the lead up to Infinity War; and as I'm out sick with the flu, I watched Iron Man earlier this week and just finished The Incredible Hulk.

Somehow I'd never seen it until now. Iron Man 2 was the first MCU that I saw and I've seen all the rest since, but this was the odd one out.

Much better than I expected, especially the opening 30 minutes or so, which really work.

The cgi however, is excruciating at times. The tech just wasn't ready yet for what they tried to do. I also found the Hulk's facial expressions in the final fight really confusing, as if he was going to dehulk at any point from being too calm. Curious to see how well the Hulk of the Avengers and Ultron hold up when I get to them.

Some great moments here though. The NY scientist-professor was fun. I backed up the scene and called my wife in to see the bit about informed consent, which went over great (she's a professor.) I liked the way they keep the origin really short, the nods to the tv show I grew up on, the Banner as an anxious fugitive, everything in Brazil...

Glad I finally watched it, dunno how often I'll rewatch, though the opening is good enough I could see revisiting it.

Edit: while I'm at it, are any of the commentary tracks especially worth listening to on these discs? I got a huge pile of MCU blu-rays for Xmas so I've got a lot to choose from.

jph139

The Incredible Hulk is actually one of my favorite MCU movies. Norton was a great Banner - very different than Ruffalo, who plays him a lot more mellow and mild-mannered. Norton goes from a sort of "man on the edge" angle and personally, I prefer that. Good chemistry with Betty, too.

The Brazil chase scene (love the music), the fight against Blonsky at the university, pretty much everything with General Ross... there's a lot of good stuff in there. But the back half is definitely a bit weak, and the Abomination fight is super forgettable. Not without it's issues.

I honestly think it's better than Iron Man - in my eyes The First Avenger, and maybe Iron Man 3, are the only solo movies that beat it.

The Kree

Banned
Ruffalo's take makes sense as a continuation of what Norton did because by the end of the movie Norton's Banner is showing that he's gaining some control over the Hulk. By the time we meet Ruffalo's Banner he's got some confidence in himself that he can keep it together without any drugs or heart monitors or whatever.

They just need to take the next step and give Hulk the ability to converse with people.

Fhtagn

Yeah, Norton's fine, but I prefer Ruffalo's take but that's as much a matter of where the character is (after years and years of being mostly in control) as anything. He's got an understated amused at the world thing going on that's as much about him keeping it together than anything, a little more subtle than Norton but Ruffalo's Banner is in a situation that lends itself to more subtlety.

I think this would be one of my favorite MCU origin movies if not for the underwhelming finale and how much I dislike that era of CGI. I've got a friend who complains about any and all cgi, and I'm not like that at all, but it really hurts this film.

kunonabi

Incredible Hulk is the only mcu film i dont like at all. Norton phoning it in and just playing himself, no chemistry with tyler, humour never landed, and i hated tying his hulking out to his goddamn heart rate. I didnt care for the hulk's design either and the final battle couldnt save the rest of it.

Yeah, Norton's fine, but I prefer Ruffalo's take but that's as much a matter of where the character is (after years and years of being mostly in control) as anything. He's got an understated amused at the world thing going on that's as much about him keeping it together than anything, a little more subtle than Norton but Ruffalo's Banner is in a situation that lends itself to more subtlety.

I think this would be one of my favorite MCU origin movies if not for the underwhelming finale and how much I dislike that era of CGI. I've got a friend who complains about any and all cgi, and I'm not like that at all, but it really hurts this film.

I loved that fight. It's shit but I still love it

Ruffalo plays Banner more vulnerable than the other two but also with a more real attitude about it. They established that he had tried to kill himself and couldn't, so he's a bit resigned to the fact that he is fucked.

Looking forward to gladiator rampage Hulk in the second Thor sequel.

BP and Thor trailer ain't coming until Comic-Con

Incredible Hulk is the only mcu film i dont like at all. Norton phoning it in and just playing himself, no chemistry with tyler, humour never landed, and i hated tying his hulking out to his goddamn heart rate. I didnt care for the hulk's design either and the final battle couldnt save the rest of it.

You liked thor 2 and Ultron?
skip1.png

Pachimari

Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman director) talks about why she chose not to direct Thor sequel:

”It was painful and sad because I really loved those guys and I loved the idea of us making a Thor together, but it's one of those things. You have to make sure that the movie you want to make is fully the right movie for that studio too. It was heartbreaking, but I also knew that it was good... I knew that it was good because I didn't think I could make a great film out of their script."

Jane Foster would have had a much larger role in her movie:

”Romeo-and-Juliet-esque space opera that hinged on the separation of Thor and Jane Foster."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
there is only one Thor movie, and It's Director is Taika Waititi. the others don't exist

i rewatched Ultron recently and its pretty good

i have some qualms with Caps characterization, but i guess he's in a good headspace running the Avengers from the compound post-SHIELD

dodged a real bullet, esp as we probably wouldnt have gotten Valk if that happened

I dislike how ultron is a joke-bot, I mean the damn shitty ass marvel cartoons had a better more serious ultron.

Bruce's and natasha's werid ass relationship is awful. should've been either steve or no one else.

that AWFUL AWFUL generic third act. Just too much shit going on with no stakes, I Mean even hawkeye felt like he had cheat codes.

Meaningless death of Quicksilver was pure trash tier

jon bones

it was flawed - i am glad that whedon is gone and that the studio has been much more graceful at handling team ups a la CW

but it serves better as a one off adventure leading into the "real" phase 2 end Civil War

Man. Every time I watch Into the Badlands I wonder why Iron Fist doesn't have fight scenes like this. The writing isn't any better though lol.

The Kree

Banned
Ultron didn't make a single joke in that movie.

There seems to be mass hallucination going on when people criticize Whedon's work.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Man. Every time I watch Into the Badlands I wonder why Iron Fist doesn't have fight scenes like this. The writing isn't any better though lol.

Rushed production. I believe it's the same team that did Marco Polo, which I heard had decent fight scenes, so it's not a question about skill/talent.

jph139

Ultron didn't make a single joke in that movie.

There seems to be mass hallucination going on when people criticize Whedon's work.

I mean, yes he does? He makes sarcastic, witty remarks throughout. "This is the part where I explain my evil plan" is a joke by any definition. And even when he doesn't, a lot of his lines are played for laughs. Like, "people make... smaller people?"

Personally I like it, once I got used to it. Crazy guy with daddy issues was comic accurate. But he's definitely a humorous villain.

Either way though, for all it's shortcomings, the final conversation between Ultron and Vision completely justifies the film for me. Possibly the greatest MCU scene on a thematic level.

jon bones

i pray we never get iron fist s2

i am on episode 9 and it is slowwww going

looking fwd to arms testpunch so i can play and half-watch

Rushed production. I believe it's the same team that did Marco Polo, which I heard had decent fight scenes, so it's not a question about skill/talent.

Didn't know that before and that makes me even sadder. Despite Marco Polo's flaws it was a well shot show and did have some really good fight scenes.

kunonabi

BP and Thor trailer ain't coming until Comic-Con

You liked thor 2 and Ultron?
skip1.png

Im indifferent to thor 2. Its not a great movie but watchable. I love AoU. It may be rough as an overall narrative but the individual moments, themes, and character beats are fantastic, I love its takes on Vision and the Maximoff twins and I thoroughly enjoy the korea and sokovia action scenes.

there is only one Thor movie, and It's Director is Taika Waititi. the others don't exist

I dislike how ultron is a joke-bot, I mean the damn shitty ass marvel cartoons had a better more serious ultron.

Bruce's and natasha's werid ass relationship is awful. should've been either steve or no one else.

that AWFUL AWFUL generic third act. Just too much shit going on with no stakes, I Mean even hawkeye felt like he had cheat codes.

People have got to stop throwing around the phrase "there were no stakes!" They stopped the planet from being destroyed. Hawkeye never once thinks he's invulnerable either. Quite the opposite, we all (him included) spend the entire back half of the movie convinced he's a dead man walking. He even does the "well…fuck, I'm dead, huh?" look and run at the end when he goes to save the kid.

Not to mention, saying "no stakes!", and then mentioning the death of an Avenger during a potentially world-ending event is, lol.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nobody gives a shit about Ward.
I do, he was the best thing in the series (something I wasn't expecting) since he actually does have a character arc.

I can post the quote now, from Dearbhla Walsh, director of one of the Punisher episodes (don't click if you're into Fargo)
Canada?
Guess that NY exclusivity of sorts deal ended when they completed all 4 base series + Defenders (or maybe it just applies to those).

notthisshitv7un4.jpg

exYle

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE STAKES THEN

A CHARACTER FUCKING DIED THEY ARE NOT COMING BACK AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE VILLAINS ACTIONS HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOT STAKES

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's official:

People literally now have absolutely no understanding what the term "stakes" mean in relation to narrative, and now just parrot it thoughtlessly as a means of giving their criticisms an air of legitimacy which is otherwise completely lacking within the content of their arguments.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE STAKES THEN

A CHARACTER FUCKING DIED THEY ARE NOT COMING BACK AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE VILLAINS ACTIONS HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOT STAKES

Quicksliver (A character with half assed to damn near no character development) was killed and I couldn't give a single fuck. Hell The Ancient one had more character development that he did. Whedon used a cheap death as a cop out, Ultron was an overbloated and unfocused film with glaring issues all around. Hopefully the Russo's can manage better because that 2nd outing, was unsatisfying

exYle

Quicksliver (A character with half assed to damn near no character development) was killed and I couldn't give a single fuck. Hell The Ancient one had more character development that he did. Whedon used a cheap death as a cop out, Ultron was an overbloated and unfocused film with glaring issues all around.

Use a different word other than stakes then

The Kree

Banned
It's official:

People literally now have absolutely no understanding what the term "stakes" mean in relation to narrative, and now just parrot it thoughtlessly as a means of giving their criticisms an air of legitimacy which is otherwise completely lacking within the content of their arguments.

Add it to the list of nonsense that passes for movie criticism on the internet.

Top Bottom