• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Marvel Money" about to actually mean something: Feige restructures Marvel Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restructured how, you ask?

After what one source describes as "several years of frustration," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has pulled off a reorganization of the vaunted film company that has him reporting to Disney studio chief Alan Horn as opposed to the infamously micromanaging Marvel Entertainment CEO Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter.

Feige, the architect of Marvel's transition from a flailing comic book company into a film powerhouse that was sold to Disney for $4 billion in 2009, is said to have vented his unhappiness to Horn and Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier this summer. The reorganization was put into effect last week, according to sources.

Rest of the details at this Hollywood Reporter link, but basically, one of the world's single most notorious corporate penny-pinchers is now no longer holding Feige's purse-strings when it comes to the empire he's built.

Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel TV will still, however, report to Ike.

Neoxon

I'm glad Kevin Feige was able to pull this off if Ike is really that annoying to work with. Maybe he'll stick around after his contract is up in 2018.

Neoxon

So, we can get more movies per year and more Netflix series? What does this mean?
Kevin Feige's life as the MCU Ringleader just became a whole lot easier. He can do more of what he wants now without any potential micromanaging from Ike Perlmutter.

HariKari

Now just swing for the fences with the talent they hire instead of going cheap. And don't chase away talent that wants to work with you, like Edgar Wright.

kswiston

Didn't Ike reportedly try to get RDJ dropped for "causing trouble" (IE trying to get some of his co-stars fair wages)? I wonder if that helped Feige's case.

Slayven

Perlmutter pulled an Ovoid mind transfer.

Now just swing for the fences with the talent they hire instead of going cheap. And don't chase away talent that wants to work with you, like Edgar Wright.

That is a 2 way street. Marvel has a plan that is paying off for them, so who ever joins need to be in it or kick rocks.

So, we can get more movies per year and more Netflix series? What does this mean?

No, the Netflix shit is handled by the TV division, I believe. So Ike still has ultimate say-so over that (and the fact Loeb is ultimately in charge of that division is NOT a good thing, either).

But it likely means that budgets can go higher on Marvel films now, and that means they can probably start throwing dollars at talent they'd otherwise be unable to afford.

Neoxon

The talent they've been getting has been working so far, & they've gotten some big names. While sure, I'm down for more talent, but it's a mix of lesser names & big names that work.

Frog-fu

Banned

Is this some kind of joke? The MCU has featured a variety of stellar actors. Doctor Strange isn't even filming yet and the talent on that seems crowded.

mreddie

Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel TV will still, however, report to Ike.

CIcqEeZVEAARF1f.jpg

HariKari

Is this some kind of joke? The MCU has featured a variety stellar actors. Doctor Strange isn't even filming yet and the talent on that seems crowded.

No doubt, but in the early days, it wasn't always that way. Disney wouldn't have granted this change unless it had negatively impacted Marvel in the past. We don't know what we've missed.

That is a 2 way street. Marvel has a plan that is paying off for them, so who ever joins need to be in it or kick rocks.

Marvel doesn't always know best, though. AoU clearly suffered from meddling, and who knows how good Ant Man would have been with passionate direction.

Fucking tired of getting a bad rep. YOU DONT REMEMBER I FOUGHT THE BEYONDER FOR YOU! My country is the shit. You haters stay hopping on Richards D like he actually does shit.
I love Doom though :)
But it likely means that budgets can go higher on Marvel films now, and that means they can probably start throwing dollars at talent they'd otherwise be unable to afford.
This desperately needs to happen.

Is this some kind of joke? The MCU has featured a variety stellar actors. Doctor Strange isn't even filming yet and the talent on that seems crowded.

The article points out Feige was making moves on this front last year. I'd imagine that the Strange casting is the first real example of that, especially since it's Feige's pet project.

Slayven

No doubt, but in the early days, it wasn't always that way. Disney wouldn't have granted this change unless it had negatively impacted Marvel in the past. We don't know what we've missed.

Marvel doesn't always know best, though. AoU clearly suffered from meddling, and who knows how good Ant Man would have been with passionate direction.
Very debatable

Ant Man is riding into battle on Captain America's shoulders. We are living in bless times

The article points out Feige was making moves on this front last year. I'd imagine that the Strange casting is the first real example of that, especially since it's Feige's pet project.
If Doctor Strange is some fuckawesome film (which I think it could be), then I hope Feige does whatever magic he did there to the other films.

Isn't Ike Perlmutter one of Disney's largest shareholders, up there with George Lucas and the Jobs family? I know his share is still a fraction of Disney's value, but that's impressive that he got sidelined.

This does however, give DISNEY (all-caps) more oversight over Marvel than it previously had. It might be argued that Lasseter and Kennedy now have more freedom to operate however they like than Feige does.

But then again, I doubt Horn's really gonna start flexing nuts anytime soon, looking at what Marvel does for them.

I am shocked Bobby didn't use LR as a source

I always go to the trades first. Then the Vulture/AV Club/Atlantics & the like. Then Collider/BirthMovies/DarkHorizons. Then Latino-Review

Never the comicbook, comicbookmovie, superherohype, moviepilot BULLSHIT. Never that.

HariKari

Isn't Ike Perlmutter one of Disney's largest shareholders, up there with George Lucas and the Jobs family? I know his share is still a fraction of Disney's value, but that's impressive that he got sidelined.

He cleared over a billion dollars in the Marvel sale, $590m+ of it in Disney stock.

Horn will probably let Feige do his thing for a film or two, and if it isn't going too well then he'll step in.
I think I read that he declined an offer to sit on the board of directors.
I am shocked Bobby didn't use LR as a source
LR? Bah. ComicBookMovie is a much better source.

Pau

Has there been any cases of actors being too expensive to hire from the get-go? I know returning actors has been an issue.

Slayven

I always go to the trades first. Then the Vulture/AV Clubs. Then Collider/BirthMovies. Then Latino-Review

Never the comicbook, comicbookmovie, superherohype, moviepilot BULLSHIT. Never that.

But you don't have the true link to the news

LTCarolcorp3923 on youtube.

Now Feige could possibly be free to pay for the talent they want. They will obviously still play things safe with salaries, but it will probably be nowhere near as restrictive as it supposedly was under Ike.

jackdoe

Now Feige could possibly be free to pay for the talent they want. They will obviously still play things safe with salaries, but it will probably be nowhere near as restrictive as it supposedly was under Ike.
Yeah, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about seeing Chris Evans as Cap in a movie after Infinity War now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom