• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Marvel Money" about to actually mean something: Feige restructures Marvel Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

E the Shaggy

This is a really good thing.

Perlmutter eventually found his way into the world of toys, where he proved to be a sharp operator. In later years, stories have circulated of Perlmutter's overriding concern for the bottom line. "If there was some used paper or a memo lying around," said his long-time business partner Avi Arad in a 2009 interview with the Financial Times, "he would rip it into eight pieces and he would have a new memo pad."

According to one report, for a long time the Marvel headquarters had only one bathroom per gender, leading to insufferably long lines come lunctime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11560174/isaac-ike-perlmutter-marvel-owner.html

He cleared over a billion dollars in the Marvel sale, $590m+ of it in Disney stock.

Horn will probably let Feige do his thing for a film or two, and if it isn't going too well then he'll step in.

I think I read that he declined an offer to sit on the board of directors.

Ah, thanks.

Hopefully this means Marvel can afford to get Charlize Theron or Emily Blunt for Carol Danvers now.

This is nothing but a good thing, Disney has been seemingly allowing Marvel and Lucas Films room to breathe beyond certain demands and I imagine that won't change too much unless shit starts to go off rails.

Not that they were hurting for talent at whatever they were paying. I rather the money go into the movie first.

They were hurting and not hurting for talent. Ike has been notoriously controlling with money on these things, among other things apparently. People were wanting in because they were big films and lots of exposure. But it was still supposedly a pretty rough regime.

We shall see how this affects things.

Has there been any cases of actors being too expensive to hire from the get-go? I know returning actors has been an issue.

I mean, there are actors we know were offered parts that didn't take them (i.e. Joaquin Phoenix in Dr. Strange, or Emily Blunt in any number of roles), but all we have are the trades to know whether salary was an issue or it was something else.

And yes, I know Emily was a scheduling issue.

aparisi2274

Aren't most of the big names just about finished with their contracts? I thought Chris Evans was done after Infinity War... same with RDJ... and if they follow Norse Mythology with Thor 3, then Chris Hemsworth is done, considering that Ragnarock
is where Thor dies

Aren't most of the big names just about finished with their contracts? I thought Chris Evans was done after Infinity War... same with RDJ... and if they follow Norse Mythology with Thor 3, then Chris Hemsworth is done, considering that Ragnarock
is where Thor dies

Most of the major players are on 6 movie contracts, and for the ones that have had a trilogy the 6th movie will be Infinity War (Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, RDJ, ScarJo [she has Iron Man 2 and Cap 2 and 3]). I think there's a few that are on longer contracts or started later (Sebastian Stan's contract is longer than Evans', for example, which is one of the reasons people assume we're going to see him as Cap at some point). The reason they're paying RDJ something like $40 million for Civil War is because they'd rather do that and have it not be part of his contract than have to pay him even more to do the 2 part Infinity Wars movies.

Some of the greatest film moments come from all the pressure and lack of budget. I think we just lost the famous indie spirit of the MCU.

large.gif

I doubt this will alleviate the MCU quality problem. Hopefully it does. Problem doesn't seem to be money but direction of these movies have that talent don't like.

Not

Banned
I did like how Perlmutter was removing Fantastic Four and X-Men shit from the Marvel offices out of spite. Kind of comedically satisfying, in a bitter and shallow way.

Hopefully this is good news, but I've only heard bad things about Ike, so... I'm torn on this. This means they can go for guaranteed quality instead of mostly unknown up-and-comers like the Russos? What kind of directing talent could they conceivably get now?

Ridley327

It seems a little strange to see both Avi Arad and Ike Perlmutter out of the picture (so to speak) after all this time and with their history with Marvel as a whole. It's a little bit of an end of an era.

Hopefully this is good news, but I've only heard bad things about Ike, so... I'm torn on this. This means they can go for guaranteed quality instead of mostly unknown up-and-comers like the Russos? What kind of directing talent could they conceivably get now?

I doubt we're going to see them attract much more prestigious directors who are going to want more control than what Feige would really allow for.

Are we pretending like Feige couldn't spend money and had to be cheap while working with between $114M-279M per movie? In a world where there is a $130M ANTMAN movie?

Devin Faraci
Perlmutter is famously cheap - Marvel's press junkets have been catered by Subway in the past - and has been known to get involved on all levels, from blockading diversity in Marvel's on-screen superheroes to getting the girlfriends of his bilionaire pals roles in Marvel movies.

...wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom