• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Ugh. I fell asleep and dropped from 4th to somewhere near 25. Got the card but honestly without a second one these rare cards are useless.

Kind of like this new tourney. Model 40, Dr Doom and Grey Widow are my only options and none of them are leveled. Kind of feels lame.

Ugh. I fell asleep and dropped from 4th to somewhere near 25. Got the card but honestly without a second one these rare cards are useless.

Kind of like this new tourney. Model 40, Dr Doom and Grey Widow are my only options and none of them are leveled. Kind of feels lame.

I got a Iron Man 40 in his 20s and a Hood and Spidey. Pretty fun.

Yesterday I squinched through Imposter on Heroic like three times in a row and got maybe 275 points. So incredible.

I got a Iron Man 40 in his 20s and a Hood and Spidey. Pretty fun.

Yesterday I squinched through Imposter on Heroic like three times in a row and got maybe 275 points. So incredible.

Ha. Yeah I literally just finished that battle. I'm about 200 away from a yellow model 40 so I will likely spend the day grinding it if I can.

Ha. Yeah I literally just finished that battle. I'm about 200 away from a yellow model 40 so I will likely spend the day grinding it if I can.

Yeah, it's really amazing, if you can get Daken first and then get lucky/smart with the skulls; yes, sure, two people are dead and your last guy is down to 325 or something but STILL.

am_dragon

I got up to 8th in the Black Widow event, attempting to get higher I fought a high level Thor, Classic Storm team, which is what I use. Couldn't take Storm down and ended up triggering a Raging Tempest tennis match of death. It then it went back an forth 3 times and decimated both teams. I was able to win the round then had no health and watched the last 20 minutes as I dropped from 8th to 23rd.

Anyway, now I have 17 slots full and 6 in cache what should I dump? Candidates are Venom, Yelena Belova, Bag-man, Captain America Modern, Dr Doom Classic, Iron Man Modern, Loki Dark Reign, and Wolverine Astonishing X-men.

Then I have a Black Widow original, and Hawkeye in cache. Trying to win a 2nd Black Widow in the Heroic Mode event, I'm in the running now if I can hold out

Mairu

Big update today. Interface is nice but it's going to take some getting used to with the powers being on top rather than the flashing puzzle icons. The new reward/cache change is nice. Seems mostly visual, not sure if any powers have been changed/tweaked

Big update today. Interface is nice but it's going to take some getting used to with the powers being on top rather than the flashing puzzle icons. The new reward/cache change is nice. Seems mostly visual, not sure if any powers have been changed/tweaked

omg i can't wait

Patch notes

UI
Major update to Ability Firing UI in battle
- Ability Bars are now displayed for each character and their powers. These fill independently and pulse when they are full. Tapping a character's icon will bring up their abilities which may be reviewed or used if they have enough AP.
- This also means that tiles will no longer pulse when abilities are ready and that the Tile Info panel for all tiles will always be visible.
- The Character Info Screen for each character has been revised. This screen now displays Color Strengths as well as all previous information, making viewing a character's status much easier.
- The Ability Training screen for each character has been revised. Now instead of tapping a Train button then deciding how to train, Agents immediately see if an extra Cover is available for an ability and can use that Cover instead of moving to another menu first.
- Agents may now train Abilities from a character's own individual Ability Description Screens.
- The first page of a Character Comic now allows Agents to sell that character copy.
- Collection has been renamed to Roster. The Roster now only holds active characters. Any characters gained go into the Rewards Cache.
- The Rewards Cache has been heavily revised.
• Agents may now tap on any reward and see Character Info. This allows Agents to get a better idea of exactly what each reward is if they don't know offhand what a given Ability is.
• Agents may Train an ability into an already recruited character directly from this menu instead of having to redeem the character first.
• Agents may sell unneeded covers directly from this area without redeeming the character first.
• Tapping the Star icon in the upper right of any reward allows an Agent to Recruit an additional copy of any character. This new character will take up a Cover Slot and be able to be trained just like any other character.
- All PvE chapter maps now feature backgrounds that show progression and involve more character art.
- First time user experience message pop ups have been revised.

Gameplay
- All mission rewards after the first now have a 50% chance of giving a non-consolation reward until all rewards have been earned.
- A nefarious H.A.M.M.E.R. plot to randomly heal teams that had been damaged in a previous try in Tournaments has been fixed.
- Stunned characters will no longer have their Countdown tiles decrease while stunned. S.H.I.E.L.D. still mystified as to how H.A.M.M.E.R. Snipers managed to line up shots with active concussions.
- New Iso-8 breakthrough has allowed characters buffed by Events to also increase their Health by the buff amount.

Misc
- Fixed an issue with players not being able to receive Gifts via Facebook. This functioned on all affected accounts internally, but as it is somewhat random an issue we cannot be 100% sure all issues have been resolved.
- Fixed an issue with gifts always displaying the same Facebook friends.

- This also means that tiles will no longer pulse when abilities are ready

This makes me sad. There's nothing more satisfying than using a skill that gains AP and seeing a bunch of colors light up.

Is anyone else encountering this glitch? The window that pops up upon entering Heroic mode says I can use Black Widow (Modern), but then she's locked and it says she is not eligible when I go to select her for battle.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, too bad about the pulsing tiles. I suspect they've changed it to increase performance for older devices.

After playing a match, I'll take the lack of flashing tiles since I can now see at a glance how close my abilities are to activating. It was also really annoying not knowing which character's power was ready if there was color overlap between characters. This interface is a lot better.

- Stunned characters will no longer have their Countdown tiles decrease while stunned.

This is amazing for PvE.

twofold

Ok, my level 50 model 35 is amazing in the juggernaut tourney. Repulsor blast does nearly 2k damage and he has just over 8k health. It's impossible to lose. I love it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I really like the update. I love seeing all of the powers on the screen at the same time so I don't have to remember which colours I should be going after for each hero.

The only gripe I have with the new interface is that, for the black tiles, having a black bar on a black background makes it really hard to see.

yamo

Hmm update dont seem to be live for me. Still model 40 that is buffed as well.

Ahhh I see, need to download it from the App store.

Stealth change that will affect Classic Storm. The game no longer records "overkill" damage, or damage beyond the character's remaining health. If your front character is killed by an attack that does 20% of their max health in total, but they have less than that remaining, it won't proc her Raging Tempest.

AVclub

Stealth change that will affect Classic Storm. The game no longer records "overkill" damage, or damage beyond the character's remaining health. If your front character is killed by an attack that does 20% of their max health in total, but they have less than that remaining, it won't proc her Raging Tempest.

I see nothing wrong with that. She needs to be nerfed a bit. Seems kind of unfair to have one reactive character that just destroys your whole team when you get a good hit in.

Mairu

I see nothing wrong with that. She needs to be nerfed a bit. Seems kind of unfair to have one reactive character that just destroys your whole team when you get a good hit in.

Kinda sad about the nerf but it does make sense - ability was way too powerful especially considering it's the only ability that functions that way (as a revenge hit)

Limit

Liking all the UI and graphical changes so far. Additional health in the new buff up system is good too. Marvel really wants to give players a reason to keep all the cards around in case any one of gets buffed up for upcoming tournaments.

Does using a health pack on a hero that's downed bring them back to full health, or does it just revive them and then you still have to wait the full time for them to heal?

So, the Juggernaut Heroic thing just ended. Did anyone get a reward? 'Cause I didn't.

Edit: Got it after restarting a few times. I'm super antsy about it 'cause I never got the payout for the Thor tournament.

redcrayon

Has anyone beaten Ragnarok in story mode yet?
Yeah, I went in with 3x blue stockpiled, plus the all-colours stockpile, and pretty much kept him stun-locked for the whole battle with Black Widow and Spidey, plus classic storm for making him take 600-odd damage every time he attacked me.

Sorry if this has been answered already but i started with Storm lvl 1 and now i unlocked classic Storm lvl 6. Is there a point in keeping the old one?

Edit: nm me, did some reading i will be keeping both.

BlackJace

Yes. Just loaded up with buffs before attacking and he were never able to use any of his powers even.

Yeah, I went in with 3x blue stockpiled, plus the all-colours stockpile, and pretty much kept him stun-locked for the whole battle with Black Widow and Spidey, plus classic storm for making him take 600-odd damage every time he attacked me.
What level are you guys at? My strongest character is only like 27. It seems insane that Ragnarok is level 117.

It seems like the devs did that to keep people "busy" for a while.

redcrayon

What level are you guys at? My strongest character is only like 27. It seems insane that Ragnarok is level 117.

I went in with level 45 Spider-man, and level 29-ish classic storm and Black Widow, having used the events to grind up Spidey as my team healer.

It's possible to beat him earlier- a lot of it depends on luck due to the low cost of his abilties, a few lucky matches and he can pile on the damage turn after turn. That's why I went for a stun-lock and counter team rather than taking Thor or Iron Man to match him hit for hit.

I imagine Venom, Spidey and Classic Storm would also do a number on him, Venom and Spider-man together is just vicious as their powers feed off each other, they give you Venom's offence and Spideys healing as options while also having the option of keeping the enemy stunned for ever longer turn sequences, and they use different colours. Choose another character to taste :D

Askani

Has anyone beaten Ragnarok in story mode yet?

Yes...once. You have to have a super leveled team or just really really lucky. I was in the really really lucky category.

Yes. Just loaded up with buffs before attacking and he were never able to use any of his powers even.

Same. If you can manage to get him stunned early it helps. I think I stunned him once quickly and got enough blues to stun him again before the first stun ran out. So starting out with him stunned for 10 turns really helps as you can imagine.

So, I sort of have a problem not being able to throw away covers. It's a sick need to have one of every char, which is what the dev wants. My girlfriends parents game me an iTunes gift car last year for Xmas and I still had $14 left on it after a year. Yeah, I bought coins for cover slots 3 times. My list:

Code:
77 Thor                    5/5/3
50 Iron Man (Model 35)     4/4/5 - I so wish I could respec this
50 Storm (Modern)          4/5/4
40 Black Widow             5/5
40 Iron Man (Model 40)     3/2/2
39 Juggernaut              5/5
34 Storm (Classic)         5/4/2
30 Wolverine (X-Force)     1/1/0
21 Black Widow (Grey Suit) 0/1/2
19 Yelena Belova           5/4
18 The Hood                0/1/1
16 Venom                   5/5
15 Loki                    1/1
15 Doctor Doom             0/1
15 Magneto (Classic)       0/0/1
15 Ragnarok                0/1
14 Daken                   5/5
14 Wolverine (Astonishing) 4/2/3
14 Captain America         2/2/2
13 Hawkeye (Classic)       5/5
13 Bullseye                2/1
09 Magneto (Marvel NOW!)   1/1/1
08 Moonstone               0/1/1
06 Spider-Man (Bag Man)    1/1/3
06 Hawkeye (Modern)        2/1/1
06 Black Widow (Original)  1/1

Is it worth upgrading Venom's purple to level 5? It adds a stun for the whole team, but adding 3AP to the cost kills the quickfire aspect of the skill.

blackflag

Yes...once. You have to have a super leveled team or just really really lucky. I was in the really really lucky category.

Same. If you can manage to get him stunned early it helps. I think I stunned him once quickly and got enough blues to stun him again before the first stun ran out. So starting out with him stunned for 10 turns really helps as you can imagine.

So, I sort of have a problem not being able to throw away covers. It's a sick need to have one of every char, which is what the dev wants. My girlfriends parents game me an iTunes gift car last year for Xmas and I still had $14 left on it after a year. Yeah, I bought coins for cover slots 3 times. My list:

Code:

What should that Model 35 be specced to in your opinion? I'm trying to decide on my last few points.

Askani

Is there a reason why you want to re-spec?

My Iron Man is at 5/5/3.

That's the Iron Man I want.

What should that Model 35 be specced to in your opinion? I'm trying to decide on my last few points.

I would prefer the 5/5/3 as mentioned above. His level 5 Freon Beam is pretty costly at 19 blues and usually my blues are getting used up by someone like Black Widow for stuns or Classic Storm for Wind Tempest. I would at least like to get Repulsor Blast up to 5 and do 5/4/4, but I still think his Armored Assault is more useful in the long run than the Freon Beam which is why I'd just go ahead and do 5/5/3 for me.

It's probably a moot point since I think I could really like the Model 40 Iron Man. And it's not like the spec I have now is costing me battles. I just feel like the little extra damage or the extra protect tiles are better than a skill I rarely get to use.

It parrots what ToxicAdam said a page ago. I just happen to agree with it.

ToxicAdam said:
Iron Man's blue skill is cool, but it requires so much AP to launch it hardly seems worth the wait. Especially if you are running with Widow or Classic Storm who have much better blue skills at a lower AP cost.

I like most of the changes they made but the loss of glowing tiles is taking a little getting used to. I have forgotten to use a power because I am not used to checking the bar yet.

My roster is this:
Thor (Marvel Now) 57 5/4/4 (one of my regulars)
Iron Man (Model 35) 50 4/5/4 (regular)
Storm (classic) 47 3/4/3 (regular, probably go 3/5/5?)
Wolverine (X-Force) 30 0/2/0
Iron Man (model 40) 19 2/1/1 (is it just me or is m35 just a ton better?)
Black Widow (modern) 17 5/5
Dr Doom (classic) 17 0/2
Loki (dark reign) 15 1/0
Ragnarok 15 0/1
Spider-Man (classic) 15 0/0/1
The Hood 15 1/0/0
Cap (modern) 12 2/3/2
Storm (modern) 11 5/5/3
Juggernaut 10 5/5
Venom 10 5/5
Hawkeye (modern) 10 2/2
Wolverine (astonishing) 8 2/1/1
Hawkeye (classic) 6 5/5
Daken 6 5/2
Magneto (marvel now) 6 0/3/1
Bullseye 6 2/0
Bag Man 6 2/0/0
Yelena Belova 5 4/5

I really don't want to spend much more than I have (I think $10, all for storage space). Any characters that are truly discardable?

I haven't really found a point in upgrading Iron Man 35's Blue past three, at least not yet. By the time I get enough blues for it (since I'm usually focusing on either colors) firing it off is the game ender.

Askani

Just fell into the worst computer cycle I've ever had. Two Black Widow Stun cycles, 4800 damage to Thor killing him, damage to my other two characters for 1/3 of their life each, and enough turns that my iPhone screen started to dim to lock because I hadn't touched it in so long. lol

Computer was mad apparently.

twofold

My Iron Man 35 is 4/4/5, too. I don't think I've used the Ultra Freon Beam in over a week. It sucks. I hope they add respecs sometime soon.

BlackJace

I went in with level 45 Spider-man, and level 29-ish classic storm and Black Widow, having used the events to grind up Spidey as my team healer.

It's possible to beat him earlier- a lot of it depends on luck due to the low cost of his abilties, a few lucky matches and he can pile on the damage turn after turn. That's why I went for a stun-lock and counter team rather than taking Thor or Iron Man to match him hit for hit.

I imagine Venom, Spidey and Classic Storm would also do a number on him, Venom and Spider-man together is just vicious as their powers feed off each other, they give you Venom's offence and Spideys healing as options while also having the option of keeping the enemy stunned for ever longer turn sequences, and they use different colours. Choose another character to taste :D

Code:

Thanks for the advice, it's not the first time I've felt like I've narrowly escaped defeat lol.

Limit

Because of this 3 star tourney I decided to blow 1050 coins on the gold Random cover machine and got just one 3 star out of it. The rest were all two stars. And two of them were Thor covers that with the color power that I have already maxed out. Such a waste.

I like most of the changes they made but the loss of glowing tiles is taking a little getting used to. I have forgotten to use a power because I am not used to checking the bar yet.

My roster is this:
Thor (Marvel Now) 57 5/4/4 (one of my regulars)
Iron Man (Model 35) 50 4/5/4 (regular)
Storm (classic) 47 3/4/3 (regular, probably go 3/5/5?)
Wolverine (X-Force) 30 0/2/0
Iron Man (model 40) 19 2/1/1 (is it just me or is m35 just a ton better?)
Black Widow (modern) 17 5/5
Dr Doom (classic) 17 0/2
Loki (dark reign) 15 1/0
Ragnarok 15 0/1
Spider-Man (classic) 15 0/0/1
The Hood 15 1/0/0
Cap (modern) 12 2/3/2
Storm (modern) 11 5/5/3
Juggernaut 10 5/5
Venom 10 5/5
Hawkeye (modern) 10 2/2
Wolverine (astonishing) 8 2/1/1
Hawkeye (classic) 6 5/5
Daken 6 5/2
Magneto (marvel now) 6 0/3/1
Bullseye 6 2/0
Bag Man 6 2/0/0
Yelena Belova 5 4/5

I really don't want to spend much more than I have (I think $10, all for storage space). Any characters that are truly discardable?

Iron Man 40 is great because his yellow feeds his red thereby making him self sufficient to some degree. This is also why Thor is such a great character.

As for discarding, maybe Yelena? One star Hawkeye and Venom are bland too. At the very least you can get rid of most one star characters because they are relatively easy to reacquire via recruit cards.

Since we're posting teams, here's my current roster sorted from highest to lowest by Level:

Level - Character Name - Powers

85 - Storm (Classic) - 4 5 4
85 - Thor (Marvel NOW!) - 5 4 4
57 - Magneto (Marvel NOW!) - 4 5 2
39 - Iron Man (Model 40) - 4 3 4
38 - Ragnarok (Dark Avengers Thor) - 3
25 - Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) - 5 2 1
25 - Magneto (Classic) - 2
22 - Iron Man (Model 35) - 4 4 5
20 - Captain America (Modern) - 4 5 4
20 - Bullseye (Dark Avengers Hawkeye) - 5 5
18 - The Hood (Classic) - 3 1
18 - Loki (Dark Reign) - 2 1
18 - Spider-Man (Classic) - 1 1
15 - Black Widow (Grey Suit) - 1 2 3
15 - Doctor Doom (Classic) - 1 1
14 - Hawkeye (Modern) - 1 3
11 - Storm (Modern) - 2 5 4
6 - Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) - 5 4
6 - Moonstone (Dark Avengers Ms Marvel) - 1 1 1
1 - Juggernaut (Classic) - 5
1 - Venom (Dark Avengers Spider-Man) - 2 4
Those last two are probably just placeholders if anything better comes along, and I also have one extra slot. All without spending a dime on IAP! (though I may throw a dollar or two their way in the future just as thanks)

My main team is Storm (Classic), Thor, and Magneto (Marvel NOW!)... and for the current 3 star tourney I'm rocking Iron Man (Model 40), Magnet (Classic), and Ragnarok, which seems to be going pretty well so far.

It was funny, a week ago I had too much ISO to deal with and needed coins... now I'm okay for coins, but need ISO!

Top Bottom