• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the game will be at CEO as expected but its the same E3 demo btw. But at least we should get some mroe pro matches.

JAXXX

DCdY_9gU0AAw_IV.jpg:small

@CEO

demo should be open ~3pm EDT in the main ballroom

DR2K

Banned
I highly doubt the GB guys have any insider knowledge of dlc plans. They're likely guessing as much as any of us.

Whatever you feel about Captain Marvel as a character, her move set is way more interesting than Rogue's could be.

Storm should def be in the game. She's up there with Wolverine and Magneto in terms of legacy of the series.

I don't want Phoenix anywhere near an MvC game again after 3.

You've never done a raging demon with Rogue. Rogue can absorb anyone abilities. On top of Carol Denvors flight and strength.

Marvels Roman Reigns ain't got shit on Rogue.

Ryce

Carol was popular as Ms. Marvel and was by far the most requested female Marvel character for UMvC3. It's not fair to call her Roman Reigns just because some people don't like her recent characterization -- Reigns was never popular to begin with.

X-Men Vs Street Fighter Rogue was awesome.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Rogue was nowhere near as fun. Dive kick pressure was good to use, but other than that, not much else.

Oh, I see where this is going.

You've never done a raging demon with Rogue. Rogue can absorb anyone abilities. On top of Carol Denvors flight and strength.

Marvels Roman Reigns ain't got shit on Rogue.

The problem with Rogue is that they'd have to create a custom power for her to steal from the entire roster, and that would involve updating her moveset each time a new character was added. They gave up on that back in Marvel 2, and while it would be easier now, I doubt they'd do it when they could just put someone else in instead without all the extra workload involved.

Neoxon

Carol was popular as Ms. Marvel and was by far the most requested female Marvel character for UMvC3. It's not fair to call her Roman Reigns just because some people don't like her recent characterization -- Reigns was never popular to begin with.
And even then, said recent characterization will likely be altered once her MCU movie drops. And if it's anything like the others, it'll print money & propel Carol to the forefront more organically.

sephi22

What? Ever heard of the Shield? Or Royal Rumble 2014?
Her and Reigns are more alike than you think. Reigns got unpopular when he got the spotlight shoved on him as a solo competitor.

Rogue wouldn't even be in my top 10 list of xmen to be in the game. She just hasn't been very relevant in any comics or movies or anything and her gimmick is potentially cool but requires far too much work for me to trust Capcom to try and get it right. It would probably just end up a generic power, speed, or defense boost.

Carol's got a good design, a good power set, and seems like she plays great. Her inclusion may have been "forced" but they're making a great character out of her regardless.

The real question in where the fuck is Kamela Khan. She's like this generation's spiderman, is very popular and well regarded, is getting a big push on the comic side of marvel, and has a power set that could be a lot of fun to put in a fighting game.

Risero

Banned
Rogue wouldn't even be in my top 10 list of xmen to be in the game. She just hasn't been very relevant in any comics or movies or anything and her gimmick is potentially cool but requires far too much work for me to trust Capcom to try and get it right. It would probably just end up a generic power, speed, or defense boost.

Carol's got a good design, a good power set, and seems like she plays great. Her inclusion may have been "forced" but they're making a great character out of her regardless.

The real question in where the fuck is Kamela Khan. She's like this generation's spiderman, is very popular and well regarded, is getting a big push on the comic side of marvel, and has a power set that could be a lot of fun to put in a fighting game.

Kamela Khan isn't nearly as popular as you guys think. People who don't read comics have never heard of her

Ryce

What? Ever heard of the Shield? Or Royal Rumble 2014?
Her and Reigns are more alike than you think. Reigns got unpopular when he got the spotlight shoved on him as a solo competitor.
Reigns was by far the least popular member of the Shield, and he was cheered at RR '14 because everyone was pissed about Batista. Reigns went from a midcarder that people had no strong feelings about to a main eventer in the blink of an eye. Carol Danvers was already Marvel's most popular non-X-Men female character in 2010-2012 before Marvel started pushing her as Captain Marvel.

Kamela Khan isn't nearly as popular as you guys think. People who don't read comics have never heard of her

Kamela has only been around a few years so far and hasn't been featured in a cartoon or movie yet so obviously she's got limited visibility outside of comics. But among comic readers she's extremely well liked and Marvel's been making moves to prepare her for the big time by expanding her presence to more and more comics and likely she's going to be among the first characters considered for a movie spot after the Infinity War stuff is over.

But yeah, I think that's the big problem I personally have with the roster isn't the lack of Xmen it's the focus on current day MCU that ignores the more interesting and diverse comic lineup Marvel has going right now. MvC3 included a bunch of fairly obscure marvel characters like MODOK or Super Skrull and it just doesn't look like we're getting that in Infinite.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
You know the worst part of the roster? I just know that DLC won't include many female characters, skewing the ratio even further.

:(

Reigns was by far the least popular member of the Shield, and he was cheered at RR '14 because everyone was pissed about Batista. Reigns went from a midcarder that people had no strong feelings about to a main eventer in the blink of an eye. Carol Danvers was already Marvel's most popular non-X-Men female character in 2010-2012 before Marvel started pushing her as Captain Marvel.

It also helped she was mildly associated with the X-Men for a while.

Kamela has only been around a few years so far and hasn't been featured in a cartoon or movie yet so obviously she's got limited visibility outside of comics. But among comic readers she's extremely well liked and Marvel's been making moves to prepare her for the big time by expanding her presence to more and more comics and likely she's going to be among the first characters considered for a movie spot after the Infinity War stuff is over.

She's been in a bunch of cartoons by now, tho.

Will admit, the gameplay looks really fun with the gems. I honestly prefer the 2v2 style personally, so really this game does more for me than MvC3. Wish it'd come to the Switch, but I'll have to wait for some friends with a PS4 to get the game.

Neoxon

But yeah, I think that's the big problem I personally have with the roster isn't the lack of Xmen it's the focus on current day MCU that ignores the more interesting and diverse comic lineup Marvel has going right now. MvC3 included a bunch of fairly obscure marvel characters like MODOK or Super Skrull and it just doesn't look like we're getting that in Infinite.
Ms. Marvel is actually now a main character on Avengers Assemble (replacing Falcon as the audience's-point-of-view character).

Uhh... I think she only briefly cameoed in one episode of an avengers cartoon.

Looks like she's planned to be a lead on an avengers cartoon this year but it hasn't aired yet.

EDIT: or what Neoxon said. I haven't kept up with animated stuff.

vulva

I'm a super casual marvel person at best. I have no idea who Kamela Khan is. I haven't looked her up so I'm sure I could do that Anecdotally, though, I'm someone who's seen most marvel movies and has marvel loving friends but don't have a clue on her.

edit: with that said, I didn't know who rocket raccoon was either before mvc3 but now he's a household name, so existing fame vs future planning are also factors.

Seyavesh

carol is a cool concept for a char w relatively striking imagery and somewhat of a legacy but its like, she has literally never been in a good story and that includes her most recent ongoings and the mind bogglingly awful civil war 2 that put her at the forefront of the event as a totalitarian nutjob

like one of the more known stories for her is the weird creepy shit that happened to her thanks to 70s marvel authors jammin in their fetishes b/c she's never had a character-defining run that was popular and good in the same way as like, fraction's hawkeye, brubaker's cap or van lente's herc

i'm pretty excited to see what the movie does bc that's more of a fresh slate without all the baggage that her modern runs keep getting mired in.

i think the EMH cartoon did a p good job with her as well but it kinda bit the dust p much immediately after she became relevant

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
does anyone know where to find a dump of all recent hq screenshots of this game?

trying to find some good ones to make a captain marvel av

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dunno if this has been posted yet, probably has, but either way...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Gold gauntlets are probably there for gold special effects in his attacks.

SkyOdin

I know but he doesn't have eyeballs he has a screen that displays eyes. I never said he's not equal to humans emotionally
I need a source for that, since I am a massive Mega Man fan who has never heard that before. The Aperture studios Mega Man X pitch had an X who projected an image to give the appearance of a human face, but I have never seen any evidence that the real X didn't have real eyes. By all accounts, Reploids are very human-like: they even bleed.

The problem with Rogue is that they'd have to create a custom power for her to steal from the entire roster, and that would involve updating her moveset each time a new character was added. They gave up on that back in Marvel 2, and while it would be easier now, I doubt they'd do it when they could just put someone else in instead without all the extra workload involved.

The amount of work required would be minimal in 3D. They'd simply have to port the animation of the given move from the host character to Rogue, and only touch up if the skeletal structure looks weird.

The amount of work required would be minimal in 3D. They'd simply have to port the animation of the given move from the host character to Rogue, and only touch up if the skeletal structure looks weird.

You act like "touching it up" would take a couple mins. Any more than that is just too much effort for Capcpom

Risero

Banned
I need a source for that, since I am a massive Mega Man fan who has never heard that before. The Aperture studios Mega Man X pitch had an X who projected an image to give the appearance of a human face, but I have never seen any evidence that the real X didn't have real eyes. By all accounts, Reploids are very human-like: they even bleed.

Do replpoids bleed? I know the enemies in MMZ do but I assumed they were cyborgs or humans. Anyway since X is based off Rock I assumed basic things like eyes would stay the same between the 2 and we see that Rock has "screen eyes" here https://youtu.be/aX2KNyaoNV4

Edit: Also it doesn't really make sense to go through all the trouble of bio engineering normal eyes then installing them in a robot and designing the reploid to be able to process data from eyes the same way brains do especially with all the disadvantages normal eyes bring (dust, getting poked out, light sensitivity, etc.)

I wonder though, if the soul stone resurrects, what will it do if you use it with 2 healthy characters?

Maybe soul stone allows you to use both your characters at the same time if both are alive, but if not, it revives them?

Risero

Banned
I wonder though, if the soul stone resurrects, what will it do if you use it with 2 healthy characters?

Maybe soul stone allows you to use both your characters at the same time if both are alive, but if not, it revives them?

Wasn't there a mechanic like that in MVC1? I would guess that if they're both alive it heals them a ton

Top Bottom