• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

AdaWong

Can we please have this legend back

latest

^I thought Trish was fun and would like her to return, but I think we're in the minority on this. Most people want Lady instead.
I suppose we could eventually get both

I don't see why Trish wouldn't be in. Her style is trap based, compared to other fighters in mvc3 and umvc3. Which makes her feel unique.
And with 2v2, her traps could be really more irritating than before.
Now only if they just gave her the move to stick the sparda sword into the ground like in DMC 2...though if she were in, I'd guess that they'd use the DMC4SE moves and look.
Maybe 5 if it actually exists
As for lady? Stick her in, but if she's in, make Trish at least dlc...

This dry spell is kind of killing the hype, no?

Dahbomb

I don't really care either way when it comes to Lady or Trish being in. Or even Lucia.

One thing going against Lady is that the roster is bound to have a lot of characters who are just regular dudes with guns. Characters like Punisher, Leon/Chris, maybe classic Jill, maybe Regina etc. So that might be enough for her to not make it in.

Ryce

Someone on a different site noticed that Morrigan has some sort of curse move that probably drains the opponent’s life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m49-joIaMU&t=53s

There’s an awkward cut at 0:53 right after Morrigan enters, where she appears to land an attack on Ryu that produces a lingering purple cloud and bat effect, which remains even after she tags back out to Captain America. You can get a better sense of what I’m talking about if you slow the footage down to .25 speed.

Weiss

Banned
It'd be cool if we got changes in the movelists. Spidey's been more or less the same since 1995.

I wonder if she'll get Soul Eraser back instead of that missile Hyper.

Hmmm...interesting. Perhaps that's just an after-effect of her hits? Sometimes characters would still have that going in an extended combo in MVC3, too, though it was mainly electric/flame/whatever purple is effects. All of the attacks she landed appeared to be normals, so I'm not sure.

One thing going against Lady is that the roster is bound to have a lot of characters who are just regular dudes with guns. Characters like Punisher, Leon/Chris, maybe classic Jill, maybe Regina etc. So that might be enough for her to not make it in.

Was gonna say this, Trish offer more variety.

Also was gonna ask what people think of ADA Wong + grapple gun replacing Spencer with a similar moveset, I could see it working.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Someone on a different site noticed that Morrigan has some sort of curse move that probably drains the opponent’s life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m49-joIaMU&t=53s

There’s an awkward cut at 0:53 right after Morrigan enters, where she appears to land an attack on Ryu that produces a lingering purple cloud and bat effect, which remains even after she tags back out to Captain America. You can get a better sense of what I’m talking about if you slow the footage down to .25 speed.
Interesting. Wonder if it's a continuous meter drain like Soul Drain.

I never noticed the bats, but I did notice the purple diamond/square looking things on Ryu's head.

Although, that is cut to look like its the same combo...it might not be the same one. Or if it is, there might be something missing there. Its possible that Morrigan came in and smacked Ryu with something and the purple thing is the result.

good arguments for not having a third team member on reddit. Good discussion in general.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MvC3/comments/5o1wva/the_third_team_member_in_umvc3_felt_totally/

pat728
I like the flexibility of the 3v3 with assists a lot as well but I think they have a point. A lot of people just want to pick their three favorites and have a team but that usually doesn't work. Bad team building in marvel 3 can leave you without somewhat fundamental options, especially against top tier teams. It's rare that you can just pick your three favorites and it works, for plenty of people you can't even pick your two favorites and have it work. I like playing morrigan and arthur the most and the only way they work together is with doom in the middle, a character I don't really enjoy. A lot of other people also have a character on their team that they didn't really want to play but they need for team composition. It's not a huge problem, but it really would be nice if you could just pick two characters you like and pick a gem to give them proper synergy rather than having to learn that one character with the right assist/dhc that you may or may not like.

The thing about marvel 3's team system is that while 3 characters and 3 assists gives a ton of room to create new interesting teams that work, it also results in even more combinations that just straight up don't work. It seems that the goal of 2 characters and a gem is to try to make it so you really can just pick your two favorites and then pick whatever gem that gives them proper synergy.

HopeAndFire
shehulk vs morrigan = manageable
shehulk/doom vs morrigan/doom = 1-9
shehulk/doom/strider vs morrigan/doom/vergil = impossible
the idea of low tier characters becoming more viable with the right assists is just a lie. its definitely true that they become better, Deadpool for instance turns into a completely different character when matched with assists like jam session or vajra, but youre plain wrong if you think he uses those assists better than zero.
with your hsienko example, id much rather use her 1v1 than 2v2 or 3v3 no matter the matchup.
Agreed when you consider how many people dont want to play Doom but ended up having to because he was best support character by far.

Weiss

Banned
The way I've come around to viewing the differences is that if I want Marvel 3, I'll play Marvel 3. It even got a handy comprehensive re-release with all the DLC.

As a raging scrub, I'm okay with Infinite being designed with accessibility in mind (though I'm still really iffy on the lack of assists. That's the only thing I feel is just an absolute downgrade).

Zackat

The way I've come around to viewing the differences is that if I want Marvel 3, I'll play Marvel 3. It even got a handy comprehensive re-release with all the DLC.

As a raging scrub, I'm okay with Infinite being designed with accessibility in mind (though I'm still really iffy on the lack of assists. That's the only thing I feel is just an absolute downgrade).

all fighting game fans know you have to completely tear down every game compared to your fav. You can take your reasonable approach and get out!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
good argument for not having a third team member on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MvC3/comments/5o1wva/the_third_team_member_in_umvc3_felt_totally/

Agreed when you consider how many people dont want to play Doom but ended up having to because he was best support character by far.
This is sort of how the developers described it and people scoffed a bit, but I agree and think there's a legitimate point in there as well. And when you do see all three characters used, it's often because they're three of the best of the best for their ability to put out damage even at (relatively) low effort. The Dooms, the Mags.

Perhaps the best rationale developers have is that it's just simpler, and I think that might give the game greater casual appeal (and retention). Picking your team of two is so much easier than picking a team of three. You have to worry about one relationship between two characters, not three relationships between three.

Good point about gems too, but that really depends on how they're activated. Gems might be the assists of this game. The Space Gem could be a repulsar-esque thing that controls space, who knows.

I'm still pretty skeptical but we've got so little to go off of.

whens gameplay

Of course she will be, someone has to promote the Dino Crisis reboot that was leaked in 2014

Was it ever proven fake? Its been so long I forgot. Or I guess time has kinda proven it fake...

J-Tier

We totally exhausted our discussion last month, didn't we? Lol. The Switch announcement probably had a lot to do with it.

Jawmuncher

We've talked up a storm about what was presented. Not much to go off of now besides roster discussion which has just gotten tired at this point. Since there's no new pieces of information for or against anyone. Really hope we see something before the end of the month.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Don't worry, the minute Hulk and Dante (or whoever) get revealed we'll be right back on the train obsessing over every tiny detail of the reveal video!

Hulk feels like he might be next obvious marvel character to be announced but it might be Thor.

For Capcom, I guess Dante, Frank West or Chris/Wesker/RE character.

Weiss

Banned
They kind of have to get reveals like that out of the way. Though I'd really like a big cinematic trailer that shows off a whole pack of characters like Marvel 3 had.

On another note, my copy of Asura's Wrath came in, so doubtlessly in like a month or two it'll get an enhanced port with all DLC on current gen consoles, because that's how it goes down for me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah Chun Li and Thor
Hurray

I meant along with other Capcom character but I would be so hyped to see what Thor would be like in MVCI. Hopefully they would give Thor his hammer throw move back since I heard that it was in beta version but it got cut because of balance reason.

Top Bottom