• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmaah

There's no hope because it doesn't work that way.

Looks like Ima go to mahvel 3, make my control scheme like mvci and get used to it like that then. I got a month, I think I can get used to it by then.

I don't mind the control scheme, it's just that when I get used to pressing certain buttons for dashing etc for 6 years then they're like nah fuck that here's some new shit, I'm just like come on son. But I guess that's the fun about it? whatever we gon see in a month!

Frequent players of fighting games will adapt to new (old) control scheme fine I imagine. Some faster than others for sure, but relatively quick for all.

It might hurt its pick-up-and-play value for casual or light players though. Mvc2 was considered easy to pick up too, but MvC3 took it further and gained a whole new audience alongside it as well. Time will tell.

Coda

I think the best part of this game is all of us realizing that it's not gonna be casual friendly at all. I mean yes if you have two people who have no idea what they are doing, then it will just look like a mess of gameplay, similar to how it looked if you watched two n00bs play MVC3. But if you have someone who sort of knows what they're doing vs someone who doesn't know much, they're gonna get bopped faster than they can say Infinite.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think the best part of this game is all of us realizing that it's not gonna be casual friendly at all. I mean yes if you have two people who have no idea what they are doing, then it will just look like a mess of gameplay, similar to how it looked if you watched two n00bs play MVC3. But if you have someone who sort of knows what they're doing vs someone who doesn't know much, they're gonna get bopped faster than they can say Infinite.

you just described every fighting game ever tho

sinkfla87

For real I'll try texting you on PSN. Btw which platform you buying this game on? Wasn't planning to get ps4 ver til I see a price drop for Deluxe. for now going PC so I can play at work, etc

Yeah, you're right the roster is a deathblow ;(

PS4 :(. I have a PC that is capable of gaming and by capable I mean if pcpartpicker.com was a shopping mall then my build would be the hobo outside asking for change. I might pick it up some point on PC though if I upgrade.

I don't know about you all but I have people asking about Firebrand daily. He's easily the most popular character on the roster. Even kids are wearing Firebrand T-Shirts and making the squawks he does in anticipation for his return.

You shouldn't make someone laugh this hard right before bed. Now I can't sleep!

Somewhat, but getting "Marveled" (as in getting destroyed in under 20 seconds) only exists in MvC.
It's actually not that bad as you get wrecked and you're free to move on to the next match/opponent.

KoF and DBFZ is just gonna be painful as you have to switch to another opponent and have your opponent wreck you at least 3 times.

Never stops people from freaking out when PR for fighting games talk about making shit more accessible.
Making fighting games more accessible is so pointless lol.

The auto combo is a decent start for players whose execution is real doo-doo but other than that, the dumbing down is coming at too high a cost for it to truly be a worthwhile thing to do.

Just put in stuff that even the scrubbiest of player can do (Rage Arts, Ultras) or make the execution more lax (easy mode, auto combos) or just add a lot of single player stuff so that those players don't even have to bother with playing others.

patchday

PS4 :(. I have a PC that is capable of gaming and by capable I mean if pcpartpicker.com was a shopping mall then my build would be the hobo outside asking for change. I might pick it up some point on PC though if I upgrade.

oh noes. well no prob I am pretty sure they gotta put PS4 Deluxe ver on some kinda sale a month or two after launch. I'll be on PS4 then

The auto combo is a decent start for players whose execution is real doo-doo but other than that, the dumbing down is coming at too high a cost for it to truly be a worthwhile thing to do.

Just put in stuff that even the scrubbiest of player can do (Rage Arts, Ultras) or make the execution more lax (easy mode, auto combos) or just add a lot of single player stuff so that those players don't even have to bother with playing others.

Yeah one button supers are such a huge help to new player along with Combo breakers. But looking at UMvC3 it has no combo breaker right? I cant remember having a combo breaker in the Arcade versions (sorry guys I didn't play UMvC3 I shoulda grabbed it on sale for $14)

Tik-Tok

I don't know about you all but I have people asking about Firebrand daily. He's easily the most popular character on the roster. Even kids are wearing Firebrand T-Shirts and making the squawks he does in anticipation for his return.

Yes, but not nearly as much as Dino Crisis characters. I sold my entire collection of Dino Crisis Happy Meal toys for $1000 to some mom on craigslist cause her kid just had to have them!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
#iconic

I think there's merit to accessibility, personally. Things like Rising Thunder and Fantasy Strike with no real "execution" are interesting, at least.

Coda

I think the only thing that casuals enjoy is single player content, people that are casuals never play other people online or even in person. They're too scared. I've met many of these kinds of people. Losing is too much to bear for those kind of players.

I'm usually pretty flexible about button layouts, so Capcom/Bamco/ASW/etc. cam do whatever.
I still can't find an optimal button configuration for GGXrd on stick. I usually have

K S HS X
P D X X

but Dust feels weird no matter where I put it :/

Games with 5 buttons give me this problem. 4 or 6 is fine.

Coda

To me there's something awkward about hitting LK after LP if it's under it. That's why I always liked the MvC3 layout because it was like you were making a circle in terms of doing a basic launcher combo. I know eventually I'll get used to the Infinite layout but it definitely feels a bit weird at the moment.

#iconic

I think there's merit to accessibility, personally. Things like Rising Thunder and Fantasy Strike with no real "execution" are interesting, at least.

I haven't played Fantasy Strike, but played Rising Thunder. The accessibility to me led to a lot of the matches looking the same (worse than SFV). Accessibility, if you go too far, affects the overall strategy. Accessibility still doesn't help most casuals since the most dedicated players will always rise to the top, stop being casuals, and wreck the actual casuals. The most recent Smash games are the same way.

What the whiners really want is a system where they can play the game every once and a while and compete with people who play all the time. It's why they're never satisfied.

edit: Actually, this:

I think the only thing that casuals enjoy is single player content, people that are casuals never play other people online or even in person. They're too scared. I've met many of these kinds of people. Losing is too much to bear for those kind of players.

Single player content is the only thing they like. It's why Netherrealm and Smash sell.

patchday

hard to think of a game that's more punishing then a fighting game for casuals though. Just watching their character get juggled into a corner has gotta be traumatic to them lol.

Hmmm I'll give that a try next time I play. I still need to upgrade to REV 2.

ya only annoying thing bout Xrd is having to upgrade to REV2 dlc for online play

Coda

hard to think of a game that's more punishing then a fighting game for casuals though. Just watching their character get juggled into a corner has gotta be traumatic to them lol.

Lol yeah, it's just funny because it's just a video game and for someone who doesn't take it seriously they act like them losing means so much, when it doesn't. But yes can't wait to take my game online and welcome all the scrubs to my pain train on day one.

Mik317

"hyper" fighting games are like the worst for "casuals". I suck at most fighting games despite loving them but man did MVC3 made me the largest salt mine in the world. My Friend would style on me with the same damn Wolverine combo all day...and I was too free to do anything about it (expect block but pssh thats for losers amirite). But thats all apart of the genre, one mistake is damn near deadly at all times....us scrublords make tons of mistakes...so yeah...bad times ahead.

and thats ok IMO.

Coda

"hyper" fighting games are like the worst for "casuals". I suck at most fighting games despite loving them but man did MVC3 made me the largest salt mine in the world. My Friend would style on me with the same damn Wolverine combo all day...and I was too free to do anything about it (expect block but pssh thats for losers amirite). But thats all apart of the genre, one mistake is damn near deadly at all times....us scrublords make tons of mistakes...so yeah...bad times ahead.

and thats ok IMO.

There should be some good options now to get out of combos with the "Counter Switch" mechanic but that's assuming the casual player will know about it which is probably unlikely unless someone tells them on the spot.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If there was going to be one, they would have announced it by now. The game is coming next month.

Is there like a vid per character showing off the moves? Like they did with SFV?

Shin

Banned
That's all the characters that have been revealed so far in the OP?
Thought there were more for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom