• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite - Gameplay Trailer 2 (Ultron, Chun-Li, Hulk, Chris and +)

Anth0ny

It has become a tradition to treat all past fighting games as insurmountable esoteric affairs for the masses, but THIS NEW ONE is totally different

one day, smash bros brawl will be held up as a beacon of hardcore gaming compared to the newer smash titles

I expect they'll get rid of tilts one day because they're too hard

Neoxon

"However, taking a step back, for those who haven't played a fighting game, if they just want to press the stone button, or press the switch button, push the attack buttons with their characters and see some cool things and do some damage, they can." - eurogamer

Man.. smh
I honestly don't see the problem.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
31. Wavedashing (canceling a dash by crouching in order to move across the screen faster) is still possible, but according to Capcom, it’s more effective to let dashes play out.

So they nerfed wave dashing? Wonder if it was done to remove plink dashing. :'(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Y'all need to chill.

2017-04-2717_40_11-pec2yv9.png

vg260

"However, taking a step back, for those who haven't played a fighting game, if they just want to press the stone button, or press the switch button, push the attack buttons with their characters and see some cool things and do some damage, they can." - eurogamer

Man.. smh

What's wrong with this? You think this will be even close to optimal?

Do auto combos in Persona, KoF, or GGRev degrade your experience in any meaningful way?

Man.. smh
If it's anything like the Easy/Simple modes in past Vs. games, this isn't gonna mean much in the long run.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I hope it's that regular dashes have improved significantly versus them nerfing wave dashes.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m.../27/50-details-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite.aspx

Really hope it still allows plink dashing due to the way wave dashing works in 3D Marvel engine. Movement is most important thing in Marvel game so them taking away options from high level play would be the biggest slap in the face. I don't give two fucks about them adding Down Down DP or Auto combos for newbies because fact of the matter is they'll never touch you in the first place if your movement is crispy like all Marvel games..unless they go to the extreme of "dumbing down" movement.

NotLiquid

Man real talk I'm thinking about what I said now earlier and if they add Juri in the game there'd be no point of giving her a Time Stone. Just give her the Feng Shui Engine as a Hyper, then give her the Space Stone. She'd basically have two Infinity Storms to utilize.

Fuck me I'm trying to imagine the absolute insanity that'd be now.

Anth0ny

Yeah anyone having any delusions about them being significantly better in this game when they sucked in previous Marvel games has a huge rude awakening coming to them.

This game is still going to be very punishing for new players.

I mean, this is always how it is. Which is why the whole "accesibility" thing is kinda bullshit.

There will always be a Mew2king who dominated Melee and will figure out Brawl inside and out and fucking make you feel like you didn't even play because he controls the game so hard... no matter how much the creator intended for the game to be more ACCESSIBLE.

The best Brawl players are still the best Smash 4 players. The best SFIV players are still the best SFV players. The list goes on. Auto combos won't teach you about 50 other fundamental skills that you are going to need to compete at even a medium level, let alone a high/tournament level.

I don't think there's anything wrong with appealing to casuals with some simplified mechanics as longs as they aren't optimal and depth is still retained.

Fighting games, especially these superhero fighting games, need to appeal to casual fans. Inputs are pretty easy in NRS fighting games too, but there's still a wide breadth of skill between casual players and the hardcore scene.

LordKasual

Banned
Games like UNIEL have extremely easy inputs and allow you to mash the light button to do combos.

One of the characters actually has a 22(button) input for DPs.

It's just for show. You are still going to get obliterated.

Wow this article is shit. It's almost like they're trying to instigate rage by overblowing changes. Making going back to the MVC2 control scheme sound like "dumbing down" the game. Making the autocombos sound like a threat to competitive gameplay. I thought eurogamer was supposed to be one of the honest sites, but this article reads as really disingenuous.

No word on snapbacks or incoming situations if there are any.

the 50 things about mvci article mentioned using x's new vertical fireball on incoming characters, so I'm assuming neutral doesn't reset after a character death.

Pompadour

If it's anything like the Easy/Simple modes in past Vs. games, this isn't gonna mean much in the long run.

The implementation sounds almost exactly like the shortcut DPs 4 and 5 have while the autocombo is a little easier than the standard LMHSjMjMHS combo every character got good mileage on in 3.

The FGC pearl clutching that happens every time a new Capcom fighter gets revealed is getting exhausting. These changes to help out casual players won't mean much, as usual.

46. Mega Man X can also launch an upwards fireball, which can pin down enemies coming in after their partner has been defeated or cover aerial approaches.

Sounds like Rising Fire from X4. Neat.

Just bugged me, the auto combo and press two buttons for super. I guess the eurogamer piece echoed my thoughts it's gonna be divisive.
It's been in past Vs. Games already though. Only difference is that they're shouting it from the rooftops this time around.

vg260

I mean, this is always how it is. Which is why the whole "accesibility" thing is kinda bullshit.

There will always be a Mew2king who dominated Melee and will figure out Brawl inside and out and fucking make you feel like you didn't even play because he controls the game so hard... no matter how much the creator intended for the game to be more ACCESSIBLE.

The best Brawl players are still the best Smash 4 players. The best SFIV players are still the best SFV players. The list goes on. Auto combos won't teach you about 50 other fundamental skills that you are going to need to compete at even a medium level, let alone a high/tournament level.

I don't disagree, which is why I find people lamenting about optional easier ways to do simple combos silly.

Skilletor

Man.. smh

It's one of the reasons MK is so popular. Doesn't affect hardcore players at all and allows casuals to feel cool doing stuff.

No reason to hate on it at all.

Trey

It might make people more likely to dip their toes in the water though. Accessibility can lead to longevity.

This isn't about allowing a new player off the street to compete in EVO top 8, it's about giving them a better chance of feeling that agency and empowerment that comes with doing cool shit in a fighting game.

The game looks good. Better than yesterday's gameplay.

Not gonna talk about the depth of its battle system since it's very hard to judge these stuff base off what media says.

jbug617

Banned
Darry talking about his time with the game (he wrote the preview for IGN)

@darryh: Been reading a lot of hate and inaccurate assumptions about the game. Trust me, it's legit. You are going to have so much fun labbing it.
@darryh: In just the hour or so I got to play it, I saw stuff that blew my mind. I cannot wait to watch the tech develop, to see this in the wild.
@darryh: Combo potential is unreal. Tag mid-combo in the air. Ground bounces. Tag mid-hyper. You. Can. Tag. During. A. Hyper.
@darryh: Power Gem increases hit stun - new combo. Activate Time Gem - CUSTOM COMBO.
@darryh: Activate Space Gem - opponent on lock down. As in they are in a box and can't break out. All they can do is block or die.
@darryh: Use Space Gem, push or pull your enemy. Equip Space Gem with Thor? Yank them to you and grab them. And then tag in your ally mid-grab.
@darryh: Yes, that's broken. That's the balance of the game. EVERYTHING IS BROKEN. It's amazing.
@darryh: Activate Time Gem, you are literally A-groove Bison. Except imagine you could tag someone in during A-Bison activate.

Fuck this game is CASUAL.

Back in the day we didn't have autocombos and launchers and shit

What a trash game for babies now

first day reviews I'm calling it now

Anth0ny

I don't disagree, which is why I find people lamenting about optional easier ways to do simple combos silly.

For sure. It really means nothing in the big picture.

It might make people more likely to dip their toes in the water though. Accessibility can lead to longevity.

This isn't about allowing a new player off the street to compete in EVO top 8, it's about giving them a better chance of feeling that agency and empowerment that comes with doing cool shit in a fighting game.

Perhaps. It's also possible that people who don't even care enough about the game to put in any effort of learning, or like... look on youtube "how to do combos with Hulk" aren't in it for the long haul anyways, though. We'll see.

I don't think it hurts to include it in there, honestly.

Pompadour

So the burst mechanic has your partner come in and do a single attack? So, I'm guessing, once they're dead the Burst is off the table. Also, can one follow up the Burst with a combo (by tagging again, I guess)?

I just wanna stick somebody in the space gem box and not even go for mixups just raw chip damage with hawkeye and morrigan since they can't move.

Yeah, going by these impressions and the footage/pictures, X is looking to be a more mobile Arthur, but with less of his shortcomings. That works.

BadWolf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234898858]I just wanna stick somebody in the space gem box and not even go for mixups just raw chip damage with hawkeye and morrigan since they can't move.[/QUOTE]

The opponent can just reflect projectiles back with properly timed advanced guards.

Top Bottom