• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Story Trailer, Sep 17th, 8 reveals, 6 2017 DLC characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a casual fighting game fan, some of the news in this thread that's disappointed some people has actually been a plus for me. Three teammates plus assists seemed so unbalanced in MvC3 (or, rather, I never felt like I could actually pick a team of characters that I like and know that it could be competitive). I can understand people being upset about the reports of simplified inputs, but being a fan of NetherRealm's games, which all tend to use easier inputs, it doesn't bug me too much.

Can totally understand how people would be disappointed with some of the news though.

Autocombos look insane, none of the gameplay seemed to include blocking and it looks extremely mashy.

Looks like there are easy combos and easy hyper combos

Everyone seemed to have an otg that they could autocombo out of easily.

Damage scaling looked extremely high, by the time hits were getting into the 30's they were barely doing damage. This only happens once in the video so it might just be Chun.

The time gem looks pretty broken, looked like Chris could perform a meterless dash that could cross you up and when activated Chris avoided a point blank command grab super by activating it after the super flash.

MrCarter

Someone correct me if im wrong, but wasn't MVC3 done in Capcom's propietary Framework engine and this new game is Unreal 4?

That's what I don't understand. Even with a much better and dynamic engine they still messed up the visuals. We shall see in 5 months time though.

info is up on the psn though but for easier viewing

2bHA4tb.png

Rafus

Gameplay wise, it looks like Marvel vs SF, like going back to the roots.

Visually, there's some hit and misses. But they have time to polish some things.

MADGAME

Lol Hawkeye using Cap’s I could do this all day line.

I like how supers don’t invoke seizure-inducing, full-screen flashing containing every light in the spectrum. At least not in that vid.

Confused on how the stones work. I see a normal meter, and a gem meter. Normal meter seems to involve specials/supers, and gem meter for the flashy stone moves, but I also see the characters saying “Power Stone” and not spending either meter (Chris at 1:25 for example).

vg260

Putting some thick black outlines on the character models would help.

I can't tell if they have chromatic aberration in-game, but when that filter is applied, it really muddies the colors up, giving it a weird, washed-out look, and the colors don't pop. Not sure if that's what's going on here.

Coda

Gotta admit so far the thing I like the most is the backgrounds when you activate your power stone, it does look super cool; probably looks great in person with the actual game running. I'm worried the game looks a little too basic at the moment but that might just be because who ever is playing doesn't really know what they're doing.

Coda

What's up with the mechanic where the character yells "power stone" and the opponent wall bounces if they're hit by it? It looks like it doesn't use any power stone meter and they don't even have it filled yet. Is there a button combination or just button that is different from normal attacks? It looks weird to me.

branny

Confused on how the stones work. I see a normal meter, and a gem meter. Normal meter seems to involve specials/supers, and gem meter for the flashy stone moves, but I also see the characters saying ”Power Stone" and not spending either meter (Chris at 1:25 for example).
It seems like when you pick a stone you get stone-specific specials that can be used anytime, while their meter only drains during stone-specific supers.

If you've played Arcana Heart, it's kind of like picking arcanas (except stones have their own meter).

Coda

xwjizGG.gif

This was the coolest thing I think I saw in the gameplay video. I love the idea of trapping someone in a cube haha.

will this have the same shitty CFN fuckery like SF5? this will decide if a pre-order or wait for a firesale in the future (even though i want the game so badly)

For whatever it's worth, they're doing a "CFN 2.0" patch for SFV in a month or two which will include new functionality and most importantly, a move to new servers.

Nyoro SF

Can't forget the netcode is a make or break situation. MvC3's online was maddeningly bad.

They need to implement numerical ping matchmaking like MvC2 and Skullgirls. I know they won't do it because they're stubborn, but I like to ask anyway because it's the best way to check connection quality between you and the opponent.

All the fixes and the good gameplay choices in the world won't matter if the online is bad and the matchmaking is still useless colored bars.

People saying "omg, reused assets!", don't.

So, for starters, this isn't reusing ANY assets from older MvC games. Did you look at Hulk in MvC3 & say "omg, they're reusing animations from MvC1/2?", cause all they are doing is rebuilding animations from older games in newer assets. They use the old assets/animations as reference since A) this is still a game that is part of a series. It's okay to reiterate toolkits for characters from older entries in the series & B) building a completely new toolkit would alienate fans of that character from their new implementation (Jill in MvC2 vs Jill in MvC3).

Several of the characters here have been using the same animation blends & poses for their attacks since MvC1, a game released in the 90s, and others have been around since even earlier than that title. And in several of those games, they were literally reusing assets & animations from an older character set from the same series & engine. Heck, MvC2 is an asset dump cash grab!

You want to rag on the art direction? go for it. MvC3 was clearly going for a living comic aesthetic, and this is clearly going for an aesthetic & direction more in line with the MCU movies. Not just that, there is clearly an art clash going on, cause while the characters have this more grounded/living action figure aesthetic, the art direction on the background is very much colorful comic-book. You want to rag on the gameplay or how they're streamlining it for a wider audience? Go ahead, have your debate. Just don't sit here & undermine how much work is actually being done for this game, cause I can assure you you're wrong.
That does seem to be the popular theory. It is called Capcom Fighters Network and not Street Fighters Network afterall.

Though of course there's been no solid info on this yet.

When they announced CFN, they straight up said it was being built to support multiple fighting games.

When they announced CFN, they straight up said it was being built to support multiple fighting games.
Oh wow really? I do not remember that at all. Good to know at least.

huh, so that means there could potentially be "cross-over" promotions. Like maybe doing specific stuff in SFV will unlock a costume in MvC:I and vice versa?

Seyavesh

People saying "omg, reused assets!", don't.

So, for starters, this isn't reusing ANY assets from older MvC games. Did you look at Hulk in MvC3 & say "omg, they're reusing animations from MvC1/2?", cause all they are doing is rebuilding animations from older games in newer assets. They use the old assets/animations as reference since A) this is still a game that is part of a series. It's okay to reiterate toolkits for characters from older entries in the series & B) building a completely new toolkit would alienate fans of that character from their new implementation (Jill in MvC2 vs Jill in MvC3).

Several of the characters here have been using the same animation blends & poses for their attacks since MvC1, a game released in the 90s, and others have been around since even earlier than that title. And in several of those games, they were literally reusing assets & animations from an older character set from the same series & engine. Heck, MvC2 is an asset dump cash grab!

You want to rag on the art direction? go for it. MvC3 was clearly going for a living comic aesthetic, and this is clearly going for an aesthetic & direction more in line with the MCU movies. Not just that, there is clearly an art clash going on, cause while the characters have this more grounded/living action figure aesthetic, the art direction on the background is very much colorful comic-book. You want to rag on the gameplay or how they're streamlining it for a wider audience? Go ahead, have your debate. Just don't sit here & undermine how much work is actually being done for this game, cause I can assure you you're wrong.

is this like a bit or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom