• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite - Gameplay Trailer 2 (Ultron, Chun-Li, Hulk, Chris and +)

Anything you can say about the game's visuals in person? Even the new gameplay trailer has this weird fuzzy look to it, along with the flat lighting/stages.

Flat lighting was apparent in what I played. Other than that, I didn't notice any fuzziness, but you learn to ignore stuff on demo TVs and demo units. They could have bad calibration, they could have grabbed a bad HDMI cable from another room because theirs stopped working, etc.

Everyone does look like action figures, though. Hella shininess on basically every character.

MADGAME

Combos look fun, and I'm so happy they made ultras looked flashy and stylized without over the top seizure inducing color sauturation.

vg260

Anything you can say about the game's visuals in person? Even the new gameplay trailer has this weird fuzzy look to it, along with the flat lighting/stages.

This please.

It looks like a very light, but still existent chromatic aberration filter, and it's not doing any service to the visuals. People are definitely noticing it, even if they can't put their finger on it. Just getting rid of it would probably alleviate a good deal of complaints about it looking soft/hazy.

I want them to get pressed to take out any of these filters in the game, because they don't look good in SFV and not here either.

This please.

It looks like a very light, but still existent chromatic aberration filter, and it's not doing any service to the visuals. People are definitely noticing it, even if they can't put their finger on it. Just getting rid of it would probably alleviate a good deal of complaints about it looking soft/hazy.

I want them to get pressed to take out any of these filters in the game, because they don't look good in SFV and not here either.

I only noticed CA on the Asgard stage and it seemed to be designed as an effect of the Sigma virus. But I wasn't looking for it in other stages.

So.

I shared a lot of your same concerns. Simplified inputs, auto-combos (which don't scale lower, they have the same damage as regular combos), lack of Happy Birthday scaling, etc. Combofiend walked me through the changes and played with me in a few matches.

I can't give a definitive review on MvCI, because I only played it after the interview for about 45 minutes. I can say I walked away from it having enjoyed what I played, after initially turning my nose up at the changes. I do not necessarily think they are good, but they are different, and not bad.

To start with, yeah, no assists. You choose your two characters, choose a gem (in the demo, we only had Space, Time, and Power), then choose a stage. At first I assumed this massively dumbed down the game because it made it so you no longer had creative cover for dangerous moves. Once I understood that the tag button now functions differently, however, I started to get where they wanted it to go. Let's say there's two very small beats between when you hit that tag button and when your partner comes out, but it's a lot faster than MvC3. In those beats, I can let loose a move by the character tagging out and use a move by the character tagging in (though doing both was difficult, I usually only managed one).

This means characters don't tag in with an attack and then pose briefly. When you hit that tag button, you are controlling that new character. If you want to tag out with a Hyper, you can. If you want to tag in with a Tatsumaki, you can. If you want to tag during an air combo, or in the middle of a gem use, or while getting hypered by someone else, you can. As long as your tag cooldown is up, you can basically do insane and creative things with your tags.

In one example, I was playing as Ultron and Chun Li. I got someone up in an air combo, used a drone, and then tagged in Chun Li. The drone hit the opponent down to the ground where Chun Li was, right into my super, and then I activated the time stone's ultra power (I forget exactly what they called the infinity gem supers), which reset the tag cooldown and just kept changing out between Ultron and Chun Li combos.

I kind of danced around the subject, but the producer and I talked about avoiding SFxT issues with the game. He said there's no chance of DLC gems, and internally they don't even call them gems. The six stones you have at the beginning are all you will have, ever.

They are actually really fun modifiers to the game. I played against the producer, who was a fan of rushing at me in the air with Hulk. With the space stone, if I activated it when he had momentum in the air, the extra momentum carried him over and past me, where I could catch him by surprise and attack him out of the air. The only one I wasn't a huge fan of was Power, but it didn't really fit my fighting style.

I was told they have hit 1080p/60 on all versions, but they're still in the optimization process. No answers on whether Pro/Scorpio will look better or different. Kind of laughed off a Switch version but said there's nothing to announce at this time (don't get any hopes up, it seemed pretty clearly to be a no.) The producer told me the number one thing they want to avoid is another Moridoom scenario where the game stagnates because of issues they didn't foresee but players found immediately.

All in all, yes, it is significantly less complex second-to-second from MvC3. But I also found it a lot more fun. You can still get bodied, but you also feel a lot less helpless if you do. Additionally, I think the options for creativity and yomi-based strategies on figuring out what your opponent is going to do are going to be huge. I was creating mix-ups with tags against defensive enemies and using tags and stones to defend myself against really aggressive ones. I had fun and never thought "I wish the Shoryuken was a more complicated Z movement."

Oh, final note: I was told story mode is about two hours. Which seemed short, but SFV dragged, so maybe that's for the best. I forgot who they told me was writing it when I asked, but I know it's not Tieri.
Individual character impressions? I'm dying to know about Morrigan's playstyle in this.

Anth0ny

So.

I shared a lot of your same concerns. Simplified inputs, auto-combos (which don't scale lower, they have the same damage as regular combos), lack of Happy Birthday scaling, etc. Combofiend walked me through the changes and played with me in a few matches.

I can't give a definitive review on MvCI, because I only played it after the interview for about 45 minutes. I can say I walked away from it having enjoyed what I played, after initially turning my nose up at the changes. I do not necessarily think they are good, but they are different, and not bad.

To start with, yeah, no assists. You choose your two characters, choose a gem (in the demo, we only had Space, Time, and Power), then choose a stage. At first I assumed this massively dumbed down the game because it made it so you no longer had creative cover for dangerous moves. Once I understood that the tag button now functions differently, however, I started to get where they wanted it to go. Let's say there's two very small beats between when you hit that tag button and when your partner comes out, but it's a lot faster than MvC3. In those beats, I can let loose a move by the character tagging out and use a move by the character tagging in (though doing both was difficult, I usually only managed one).

This means characters don't tag in with an attack and then pose briefly. When you hit that tag button, you are controlling that new character. If you want to tag out with a Hyper, you can. If you want to tag in with a Tatsumaki, you can. If you want to tag during an air combo, or in the middle of a gem use, or while getting hypered by someone else, you can. As long as your tag cooldown is up, you can basically do insane and creative things with your tags.

In one example, I was playing as Ultron and Chun Li. I got someone up in an air combo, used a drone, and then tagged in Chun Li. The drone hit the opponent down to the ground where Chun Li was, right into my super, and then I activated the time stone's ultra power (I forget exactly what they called the infinity gem supers), which reset the tag cooldown and just kept changing out between Ultron and Chun Li combos.

I kind of danced around the subject, but the producer and I talked about avoiding SFxT issues with the game. He said there's no chance of DLC gems, and internally they don't even call them gems. The six stones you have at the beginning are all you will have, ever.

They are actually really fun modifiers to the game. I played against the producer, who was a fan of rushing at me in the air with Hulk. With the space stone, if I activated it when he had momentum in the air, the extra momentum carried him over and past me, where I could catch him by surprise and attack him out of the air. The only one I wasn't a huge fan of was Power, but it didn't really fit my fighting style.

I was told they have hit 1080p/60 on all versions, but they're still in the optimization process. No answers on whether Pro/Scorpio will look better or different. Kind of laughed off a Switch version but said there's nothing to announce at this time (don't get any hopes up, it seemed pretty clearly to be a no.) The producer told me the number one thing they want to avoid is another Moridoom scenario where the game stagnates because of issues they didn't foresee but players found immediately.

All in all, yes, it is significantly less complex second-to-second from MvC3. But I also found it a lot more fun. You can still get bodied, but you also feel a lot less helpless if you do. Additionally, I think the options for creativity and yomi-based strategies on figuring out what your opponent is going to do are going to be huge. I was creating mix-ups with tags against defensive enemies and using tags and stones to defend myself against really aggressive ones. I had fun and never thought "I wish the Shoryuken was a more complicated Z movement."

Oh, final note: I was told story mode is about two hours. Which seemed short, but SFV dragged, so maybe that's for the best. I forgot who they told me was writing it when I asked, but I know it's not Tieri.

Nice impressions! From the videos it definitely looks like a lot of fun. Had my mind racing with possibilities.

Really anxious to hear about those final 3 Infinity Stones.

Vanish

Okay all these new gameplay details sound awesome. I'm sure it's going to be a ridiculously fun game. My only concerns now are the final roster and the graphics. Probably unlikely at this point but I pray the graphics or artstyle somehow miraculously get a huge upgrade by the time it releases. I hope Capcom is listening to all this graphics criticisms.

Harpoon

I'm also glad they're not just going full HAL 9000 with Ultron like it seemed as first with his voice direction there. Hooray for evil laughter and ramblings!

Individual character impressions? I'm dying to know about Morrigan's playstyle in this.

It's been about a month so I'll just copy my notes about it. Don't have notes on every character.

- Thor: Different from MvC3, has a much better keepaway game with throwing the hammer around. Same super, still kind of sucks.

- X: Lots of skills from different X games, a lot less projectile-focused than I thought. MHX voice.

- Captain Marvel: Flying She-Hulk. Pairs super well with Time and Space stones. Can OTG.

- Iron Man: Less kung-fu, more MCU-style fighting. Lays bombs, traps, uses suit functions more than just being a robot street fighter.

- Ultron: Slower than I thought, can throw out drones as part of attacks. Drones can be destroyed, Combofiend was surprised by this.

- Morrigan: Strong projectile game but has her MvC3 combos. Using soul fist or missile super and then time stone lets you dash ahead of the projectile and melee the opponent for cross-ups.

- Hawkeye: It's Hawkeye. Two-button supers makes Gimlet on reaction way easier.

It's been about a month so I'll just copy my notes about it. Don't have notes on every character.

- X: Lots of skills from different X games, a lot less projectile-focused than I thought. MHX voice.

Oh hell yes. I need that Zero/X team rush down! Glad to hear about the voice too

- Ultron: Slower than I thought, can throw out drones as part of attacks. Drones can be destroyed, Combofiend was surprised by this.

This is hilarious

- Captain Marvel: Flying She-Hulk. Pairs super well with Time and Space stones. Can OTG.

- Iron Man: Less kung-fu, more MCU-style fighting. Lays bombs, traps, uses suit functions more than just being a robot street fighter.
This sounds incredibly nice.

Neoxon

I'm still disappointed by the Chun-Li voice change, but I can somewhat understand it if Laura Bailey ends up voicing Black Widow, instead.

That's not to say that the new VA (who I assume is Alexis Tipton) sounds bad as Chun-Li, I'm just too used to Laura as Chun (in English). This is obviously a unionized production judging by the Marvel VAs, so that can't be the issue for Laura. Hell, even her own husband is voicing Thor in this game.

ec0ec0

seeing this articles about how capcom is, yet again, making big changes to acomodate new players, makes me think about how...

you can totally expect capcom to embarrass themselves by not having a proper in-game tutorial (i.e. like the one in guilty gear) yet again.

They are willing to make drastic gameplay changes (8 frames of lag, for example), for the sake of accessibility, yet they can't take their time to teach people how their games work and how each of their characters are supposed to be used? why!?

Combo trials are pretty useless for beginners.

If you want new players to learn and stick with your game, why don't you teach them yourself, instead of leaving them by themselves.

You shouldn't be asking people who just bought your game to search for tutorials on youtube and forums. You should be providing them the help they need, in-game. That's the only way you're going to reach most of them anyway.

In fact, not only should an in-game tutorial be already "complete" by launch, they should keep updating it after lauch.

Anth0ny

you can charge your infinity stone by using the basic stone move

inb4 players go on the other side of the screen and spam the move to fill their bars, like players did with yun palms

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234917059]Maybe you can cancel anytime into the infinity storm for any stone? Flexibility seems to be a theme for mvci.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe it was during an Infinity Storm.

Like I said, a month ago, so specifics that aren't written down shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Did really no one of the press people asked or complained about the graphics? i find that really weird.

If no one has any concerns about it Capcom might think "this is fine" when in reality it absolutely is not...

vg260

Did really no one of the press people asked or complained about the graphics? i find that really weird.

If no one has any concerns about it Capcom might think "this is fine" when in reality it absolutely is not...

I think they are seeing the feedback now. Whether it's too late or not a priority is another.

most people just want to have fun and play their favorite characters. not everything has to look like Horizon. Hell, I'm more worried about people giving Tekken 7 a pass for the framedrops on console because of the higher graphical quality.

God dammit that interview confirmed no Boulder Punching for Chris.

:(

As long as he still shouts "Fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the ho-fire in the hole!" then I'm fine.

He already talked about "No one dying on my watch!" or something to that extent in the leaked gameplay vid so this is looking hopeful.

Dahbomb

They can turn up the color saturation, add in a shader filter and remove chromatic abberation.. I can guarantee you that the game is going to look a lot better with just those changes.

Skilletor

Gameplay > Graphics

Game looks decent enough. That's what people will be talking about months after release. Graphic shit talk will just be forum fodder for fanboys.

Dahbomb

Gameplay > Graphics

Game looks decent enough. That's what people will be talking about months after release. Graphic shit talk will just be forum fodder for fanboys.
Man people STILL talk about shitty SF4 graphics.

Hell people still talk about MVC2 graphics if the last thread was any indication.

Oh, I don't know if it's obvious from the video, but the Space storm (the one that traps you in a box) prevents you from tagging out or blocking, but you can still perform moves to defend yourself.

Trey

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";234909250]That or something obnoxious like flipping your opponent's inputs.[/QUOTE]

Fuck that.

vg260

Lighting can be tweaked, as could CA and the character shininess.

Though I suspect that's part of the artstyle and the action figure look is intentional.

Apparently:
Producer Mike Evans said:
MvC2 had this 2D style, which was cool. MvC3 went to 3D and had a toon-shaded style, which completely separated it from the previous predecessors. This time, we still have over-the-top effects, but we're pushing the graphics to make them feel modern and cinematic.

Gameplay > Graphics

Now's the time to gripe about the presentation. I have no worries about gameplay. I just prefer it not be an eyesore.

Gameplay > Graphics

KoFXIV?

- Thor: Different from MvC3, has a much better keepaway game with throwing the hammer around. Same super, still kind of sucks.

- Morrigan: Strong projectile game but has her MvC3 combos. Using soul fist or missile super and then time stone lets you dash ahead of the projectile and melee the opponent for cross-ups.

- Hawkeye: It's Hawkeye. Two-button supers makes Gimlet on reaction way easier.
rofl @ ComboFiend being surprised. I love that.

Re: Morrigan - so can she fly-cancel her Soul Fist and air dash in like MvC3, or space out with a Soul Fist wall? What is her new move like, if you can recall?

Oh, I don't know if it's obvious from the video, but the Space storm (the one that traps you in a box) prevents you from tagging out or blocking, but you can still perform moves to defend yourself.
Are you sure? I thought I saw plenty of blocking.

Dahbomb

You can't block? That is too much!

That might be a candidate of getting changed down the line.

Vanish

I know you wouldn't know but I wonder what would happen if you tried a move like Hulk's Gamma Crush?

Are you not allowed to do, does Hulk try and but fails when he crashes his head against the ceiling, does he bust out of the shame cube and do it anyway because he's the Hulk, etc

Five months of development still allows for major tweaks if necessary.
Code:
 [IMG]https://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/original/536/5360430/2753138-15772346838_a1fdcfd519_o.png[/IMG]

Code:
 [IMG]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/gaming/2016/02/17/Street_Fighter_V_-_Ryu_gameplay_Screenshot_2016-02-17_11-23-33-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq26JFVSOnvwZkEjWB2yBSZS77xXRTf1vcrTvcWoyekow.png[/IMG]

Never forget

Skilletor

Apparently:

Now's the time to gripe about the presentation. I have no worries about gameplay. I just prefer it not be an eyesore.

Sure, but I hate this idea that people MUST think the game looks AWFUL and need to talk bring it up to the devs. Not something everybody will care about.

I saw how it played, that was enough for me.

Top Bottom