• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

KarmaCow

Anyone who speaks Mandarin have an opinion on Danny's pronunciation? I don't speak it but it seems miles ahead whatever the fuck was happening in season 1 of Daredevil. Just wondering because I thought Pablo in Narcos was fine but I heard it was awful to people who actually knew the language.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Anyone who speaks Mandarin have an opinion on Danny's pronunciation? I don't speak it but it seems miles ahead whatever the fuck was happening in season 1 of Daredevil. Just wondering because I thought Pablo in Narcos was fine but I heard it was awful to people who actually knew the language.

It's bad. It's about the same as Fisk in Daredevil.

Zzoram

Seen episodes 1 and 2. They're watchable to me, but not great. Seems to have potential but I don't like Danny and the show hasn't tried to do anything to make us like him, which I think is a problem. Aren't we supposed to like the main character?

mreddie

C+

That rating might change in a bit.

I'm not a fan of Finn Jones hippieish Danny. He came across as too selfish in my eyes. Hardwick was a good highlight, similar to Misty Knight.

The problem is the show focused too much on the Meachums and just brushed on the Kun Lun stuff.

The fights mixed from decent to OH COME ON, CW has better chorography.

This suffers badly from the 13 episodes thing. By Ep. 3 alone, you'll just fast forward all the family drama and boardroom scenes.

The fights are spaced out badly. And not like DD where there's a episode where you can breathe, it's spaced out to the point you're gonna be bored.

This scene in episode 3 with Colleen and Danny in the dojo is shitty. Danny comes off as such a douche haha.

Episode 1 and 2 is okay. Finn Jones is fine. The rest of the cast is fine.

Uninspired writing for sure.

hydruxo

I laughed out loud
at the end of
ep 3
when Danny is peering through Harold's window and gets pushed off the building. I was actually hoping it was going to be a dream sequence or something because that was unbelievably corny.

Dynomutt

So did they clarify why
Joy want's Danny dead? I mean I know why Davos does but the ending did not make much sense. Does she think he killed her Dad?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Joy wants Danny dead because shes actually possessed by The Beast, and thats why Gao is smiling near them at the end, because Davos is joining forces with The Hand unknowingly.
That is all made up btw, but its the only logical explanation and im sticking with it.

EYEL1NER

I fell asleep for bits of Episode 3 last night and missed some of it, so I just restarted it before progressing on. Now that I'm not up super-late and doped up on Benedryl, I can see some of the green that people mentioned in the title sequence. There isn't much of it, but it is there. I loved that The Cool Kids got a song in a show ("Black Mags" during his tai-chi-esque scene before him and Colleen spar) and was happy it was a song off of their superior first album. I also liked the fight between
Colleen and the big dude at the underground fight club. The fight looked good to me, in spite of the multiple cuts during punches and quick cuts. If it had been shot better, it could have been a fantastic fight.
I guess I didn't like how convenient it was that Danny knew
Hogarth though, like "Oh, you happened to work for my dad's company as your first job! Remember me?" I could just not be remembering if there actually was on, but it makes me wish there was something they had dropped in JJ about her working there, like during one of the arguments between Hogarth and her ex over the finances for the divorce. They were both arguing over the money spent on medical school and law school and stuff, a quick "And what about me supporting you during your first job at Rand Industries, the long nights with no thanks from anyone above you?" kind of line that set up that she worked there and made it believable that Danny knew her. I was just reading about how Jeryn Hogarth has been a longtime lawyer for Rand in the comics and remember him now from Immortal Iron Fist, but it wasn't a connection I made during the scene and something they could have set up better for people like me who are very unfamiliar with Iron Fist.
On to Episode Four though, especially after that Ep 3 ending.

I feel bad for Finn Jones. Dude is clearly trying.

Scott Buck ruins all. With a different showrunner... Hmmmm.

You can see in the other shows that the showrunners at least had respect or love for the material even when the pacing was off or there was dumb writing.

Iron Fist, based off the first three episodes, is missing that sense of passion for culture or theme or material. It's a show-by-mercenary, not a show-by-artist.

Joy wants Danny dead because shes actually possessed by The Beast, and thats why Gao is smiling near them at the end, because Davos is joining forces with The Hand unknowingly.
That is all made up btw, but its the only logical explanation and im sticking with it.

She wants Danny dead because her entire world flipped upside down when he arrived in NYC. She went from being one of the most powerful businesswomen in the world to basically unemployed. She found out her father had never died but had become a monster. That her brother was a drug addict trying to kill their father who was incapable of telling the truth to her. Danny came back and was more focused on everyone else and fighting The Hand than being a billionaire, and on top of that Joy didn't see The Hand as much of a problem when they were running behind the scenes at Rand.

When Danny showed up her company, family, and life fell apart. Also she got shot which probably pissed her off. It could be some kind of possession angle, but I think Gao was just smirking because Davos is going to do The Hands bidding under the guise of helping K'un Lun.

My takeaway.

The show was bad. The whole i don´t know myself, i don´t know what i want blah blah was horrible.
Every time the hand is involved the show goes to shit. DD is a great example of this. Why can´t they use this organisation properly?
They want to make it that the hand is a Hydra light that infiltrated different aspect of society. I did not like the supporting cast of the Danny. Coleen was ok at best.

So did they clarify why
Joy want's Danny dead? I mean I know why Davos does but the ending did not make much sense. Does she think he killed her Dad?

In comics,
Joy literally comes in moments after a separate assassin kills her dad, who was meeting with a costumed Danny at the time. She carried that forward into a vendetta.

In the show? No clue.

Wowwwwww I've seen fights in Arrow that are way better shot and choreographed than this terrible x-ray fight in Episode 3.

Thats basically what I said in the spoiler thread,
I appreciate CW sooo much more after this.
I understand Daredevil and such not being too crazy budget or action but this Netflix series looking so cheap next to CW is crazy imo

So did they clarify why

I have yet to see anyone in this OT explain why. We're all confused lmao

I prefer the explanation that she was simply
blames Danny for ruining everything. Even though she knows it isn't the truth, She didn't really see the bad side of her dad like Danny and Ward did. She probably just is looking for permission to saddle him with the accusation of having destroyed her family and killed her father, who wasn't really such a bad guy, and that's exactly what Davos is giving her.

That was the only thing I could come up with.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thats basically what I said in the spoiler thread,
I appreciate CW sooo much more after this.
I understand Daredevil and such not being too crazy budget or action but this Netflix series looking so cheap next to CW is crazy imo

Yep. There isn't a single fight in Iron Fist that tops a James Bamford directed episode of Arrow. The entire production looks cheap compared to the other shows. Freeform/ABC Family levels of cheap. Watch an episode or two of Shadowhunters. That's the level this show is at.

Episode 6 Spoilers:
Danny's challenges...Oh boy, that probably cost them a $100. Yay a warehouse with a fence. What an interesting setting for an ancient and mystical trial.

Yep. There isn't a single fight in Iron Fist that tops a James Bamford directed episode of Arrow. The entire production looks cheap compared to the other shows. Freeform/ABC Family levels of cheap. Watch an episode or two of Shadowhunters. That's the level this show is at.
im seriously not asking for ridiculous stuff like
tumblr_okq60iJ41H1u27r1bo3_1280.gif
Its just the effort involved all around.
Fight scenes here to Diamondback's outfit...

Episode 6 Spoilers:
Danny's challenges...Oh boy, that probably cost them a $100. Yay a warehouse with a fence. What an interesting setting for an ancient and mystical trial.
I said the exact same thing about episode 6.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In comics,
Joy literally comes in moments after a separate assassin kills her dad, who was meeting with a costumed Danny at the time. She carried that forward into a vendetta.

In the show? No clue.

The Meechums are from the comics?

EYEL1NER

I do like the intro credits, but they're not as cool as the other shows'
Sam as I said last night, I don't mind it but it is the worst intro so far of the four. I've grown to like the theme a lot though and like the moments during the show when it kicks in.
Just finished episode four, which I actually thought was really good from about 15 minutes on until the end.

Did we watch the same show?

Also what
move at the end? It ended with the worst fight in the series.
And that is ACTUALLY saying something here.

I enjoyed it, you didn't? Reasonable excuse I think.

And the move where
he smashed down on the floor in the Rand building
. Awesome stuff.

Grazzt

Finished, and I just realised I might have wasted 13 hours watching this shit.
It is just so badly written, from beginning to the end. The fight scenes are bad, Danny is ugly, stupid and weak.
The ending:
So Davos joined Gao and was trying to corrupt Joy? What did Joy want? This whole thing was so stupid.

Veelk

Banned
Finished, and I just realised I might have wasted 13 hours watching this shit.
It is just so badly written, from beginning to the end. The fight scenes are bad, Danny is ugly, stupid and weak.
The ending:
So Davos joined Gao and was trying to corrupt Joy? What did Joy want? This whole thing was so stupid.

I find it odd that people focus on Joy's change of character.
It's bad, but I can atleast see what they were going with given the fact that her life has fallen to shit and they basically just convince her to blame Danny for it. Let me be clear, it's not good, it's pretty bad, but I can atleast see what they were going for.

On the other hand, Dav-"fuck the Hand sideways"-os is joining up with Madame Gao, a Hand Leader? Come on. Come. ON. I don't care how much he hates Danny, this is an utter betrayal of his life philosophy. If he's pissed at Danny for abandoning KunLun to do his shitty hipster "find himself'' journey, what does that make him?

Top Bottom