• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

The Kree

Banned
Have we actually DCEU'ed the show? In the sense that expectations are so low due to previews and expectations, that when the show turns out to "only" be painfully mediocre, it subverts our expectations enough that we end up finding it good and/or decent?

When a player hits homeruns constantly, a double seems boring.

UKUMI0

Have we actually DCEU'ed the show? In the sense that expectations are so low due to previews and expectations, that when the show turns out to "only" be painfully mediocre, it subverts our expectations enough that we end up finding it good and/or decent?

I went in with the same expectations I have for any Netflix Marvel show, and so far its meeting them, while its not better then Daredevil S1 (still the best) it isn't dropping below the quality I have come to expect.

Not feeling this at all 3 episodes in.
Its like they took Batman Begins made it 6 times as long and mostly cut out Ra's & The League of Shadows in favor of more focus on Wayne Enterprises plots.
oh and
no promise of the eventual suiting up

Episode 3.

Man, I have never before seen a show with such high production value that so obviously didn't want to exist in the first place.

UKUMI0

Not feeling this at all 3 episodes in.
Its like they took Batman Begins made it 6 times as long and mostly cut out Ra's & The League of Shadows in favor of more focus on Wayne Enterprises plots.
oh and
no promise of the eventual suiting up

It's funny you make this comparison because I've always found, in the comics, that Marvel wants to focus on the hero under the mask and their everyday lives intertwined with superhero bits while DC seems to concentrate on the Superhero and their superhero related problems most of the time.

Xater

Man the first episode was rough. I also could not think if a more boring way to start this show. Making this season about if it really is Danny is so contrived and bad.

LotusHD

Banned
Man the first episode was rough. I also could not think if a more boring way to start this show. Making this season about if it really is Danny is so contrived and bad.

Episode 2:
Now the dude is stuck in a psych ward. Who the hell thought this was a good idea to waste time on this?

Ep 1
This dude's been gone/missing 15+ yrs and everyone thinks that he's dead...so why the fuck is he surprised that people think he's crazy and not who he says he is? What an idiot

It's funny you make this comparison because I've always found, in the comics, that Marvel wants to focus on the hero under the mask and their everyday lives intertwined with superhero bits while DC seems to concentrate on the Superhero and their superhero related problems most of the time.

Thats why im specifically saying Batman Begins, the Arrow comparison elsewhere(that I actually mention in the spoiler thread) doesn't really work as that basically started at full speed.

Begins it is like halfway in that it goes full superhero,
It had loads of character building and interactions that developed all the characters before that point.

Iron Fist is just feeling really empty at the moment.

UKUMI0

Thats why im specifically saying Batman Begins, the Arrow comparison elsewhere(that I actually mention in the spoiler thread) doesn't really work as that basically started at full speed.

Begins it is like halfway in that it goes full superhero,
It had loads of character building and interactions that developed all the characters before that point.

Iron Fist is just feeling really empty at the moment.

You're comparing a Movie to a TV show, both have very different pacing.

Netflix shows are definitely closer to a Movie because they seem to be built for binge watching but they still need to last for more then 10 hours.

Sanctuary

Saw my last name (pretty uncommon one too) in the opening credits and thought "Oh, that's neat", and now I just saw that Danny's father shares my grandfather's name, and his mother shares my sister's.

Krowley

Finished episode two. Pacing is still the main issue. It's off to a slower start than any of the other Marvel Netflix shows. The other shows have all had huge fights and at least a few big superhero moments right out of the gate. This show doesn't do that. Or at least not to the same extent.

But maybe that means they saved their big moments for the end. Definitely feels like the writers here are trying to go for the slow burn vibe, but maybe they're burning a little too slow.

Still finding the characters and drama fairly interesting. Overall, I've enjoyed it. I haven't seen enough yet to say for sure, but I feel like maybe this got a bad rap from critics. The negatives mentioned in most of the reviews are definitely real problems, but the show is mostly doing enough in other areas to compensate. So far.

One thing:
If you want to get out of a mental asylum, you don't tell the psychiatrist that you're a superhero from another dimension, lol. But I guess that could partially be explained by the fact that he's drugged - loosened his tongue or whatever.

Just finished episode 1. I actually liked it! Guess it helped going in with 0 expectations. The brief fight scenes were serviceable and Finn's acting was pretty good, even though he looks nothing like the Danny I had in mind. Time for No. 2 now! With a little more optimism this time!

Where Luke Cage was trying to capture that feeling of blaxploitation media of yester-year, I totally get the impression this is trying to capture the spirit of old hammy kung-fu.

Seeing it this way, it's totally enjoyable, and explains the slightly less fantastic fight choreography [so far, half way through ep 2 at the moment] compared with Daredevil for example.

Thank god I'm not alone! But, if I can see it and you can see it, why couldn't the early reviewers? I can only think they were looking for the grit of DD or the edginess of JJ. I loved LC because it did such a good job of heralding back to the blaxploitation era, I'm loving IF because it's so dodgy Kung Fu it's fucking great! 4 Shows, 4 completely different flavours, wonderful.

First episode wasnt all that bad aside from alot of dialogue and "UR NOT DANNY!". Finn and the dude playing ward's dad are actually pretty good. Already better than JJ.

LotusHD

Banned
First episode wasnt all that bad aside from alot of dialogue and "UR NOT DANNY!". Finn and the dude playing ward's dad are actually pretty good. Already better than JJ.

Really tho... JJ made a far better impression due to how terrifying Kilgrave's powers are.

AMUSIX

Two episodes in. Really wasn't expecting much due to the reviews, but I'm enjoying it so far. The action is what I'd call dry. It's not great, but it's not offensive either, just a quick little block-counterpunch here and there. I did like Danny's reaction at the end of Ep 2 being set up earlier.

There a lot of clunky dialogue, as if the actors really weren't sure about the lines, so I'm expecting people to rip on it for that.

Of the 6 or 7 characters, none of them rub me the wrong way, which is decent. Too often I'll watch a show and just be put off by some intensely annoying or underacted character, glad this didn't fall into that rut.

Story is slow, but I'm fine with that. Heck, I'd be ok with a lot of slowness in the first half and then things ramping up to head somewhere proper, but I know a lot of people aren't good with that. Not sure if I'd recommend this yet, but will certainly keep watching.

Xater

After episode 2 this is the weakest Marvel show Netflix has produced. 2 Stars.

I'll probably finish it eventually in the hopes that Defenders will not suck, and maybe they will find more competent creators for Iron Fist Season 2.

Sanctuary

Finn and the dude playing ward's dad are actually pretty good. Already better than JJ.

Nope. Daredevil season one is still the best, followed by Jessica Jones. I'd say this is about equal to Luke Cage. Better in some ways, worse in others. Might improve, but who knows? Luke Cage at least was too long by a few entire episodes.

I do like the actor they chose for Danny though. Whether or not "best actor for the role" was really all there was to it, he's perfectly watchable and likeable. Ward is a total skeeze, but he too is very watchable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I really like how Ward isn't just a straight up cliché business bad guy but actually has personality and isn't completely one-dimensional. Actually, a lot of the characters in this so far are pretty good.

shaowebb

I'm sorry to break up the echo chamber of just whatever is happening but I really dont see this as a bad show. Yeah, I'm a fan of Iron Fist and all that but I do call his shit stuff shit when I see it in comics and in gaming. So let me repeat this...this show isn't bad. Its not the same flavor of the other shows with sex and violence right out the gate but thats really not been this character.

I'm about 4 episodes in and its a good show so far. Nothing stellar but not this parroting echochamber of "oh the dull oh the suck" that everyone is competing to sound like the most critical discerning connoisseur of Netflix about.

So what have we got for Iron Fist that he has EVER done for them to work with besides a cavalcade of weird blacksploitation style film martial arts and bad carny villains and goofy awkwardnes for them to work with in this character?

1. plane crash left him stranded in the himalayas as a child. Taken in by Kun Lun, defeats dragon becomes Iron Fist
  2. Comes back and Harold Meachum in the Comics killed his family to take over his company. Rand wins, gets revenge gets company back
  3. The entire Immortal Iron Fist series where he fought in a tournament vs the champions of the rest of the holy cities
  4. mystical magical demon shit to fight
  5. One time there was a weird thing with his dad bein an amalgam monster that kills kun lun, an elder god appeared in NY and Danny fought a mech or some shit that was goofy and terrible recently
  6. LOTS and LOTS of him being street level, working in a dojo, helping the kids in the hood.
  7. ]Lots and lots of him being awkward more than edgy. He can't one line or smirk or justice the shit outta someone. He's just a goofy tai chi dancing super power who tries to do whats right whose entire being is based on being out of place both in Kun Lun and as Danny Rand the millionaire and as Iron Fist the super hero. He's just himself...and he's trying to do what he can. Thats his goofy character in a nutshell.

Most of that isn't usable and they ran with what was the most usable conflict...Harold Meachum and Danny's return, because frankly you can't write him being introduced without his return and Harold Meachum. So far we have the contesting identity, the trying to remove him and dismiss him as a nut, and a lot of illicit underhandedness in the Meachum family. All makes sense. Not bad. He's not using his powers every 2 seconds like the other shows, but honestly what foes does he have that he COULD use them on? Guy one shotted a helicarrier and a bullet train.

I'm sorry but this is probably about the only kind of story they could lead into...a man proving who he is and reclaiming his name vs a corrupt family that took it all from him. If you came in expecting more fighting and more powers and less of this then I think it was just silly to believe that could've been done without it coming off as forced.

I think what we got is a good story so far and I think most folks are just repeating each others shit to be in the majority. This show aint bad. Its just not as full bore superhero as the other 3 were is the only real reason I can understand folks feeling so bleh about getting a story like this.

Grazzt

Ok two episodes in, I don't hate it, but man the pacing was so bad. And the
hospital
plot was so stupid.

dabig2

Just finished 2nd epside. Maybe it's because I'm inebriated s fuck, but it doesn't seem that bad so far. A bit slow, but serviceable.

If any show needed to be Into The Badlands anime as hell, it needs to be Iron Fist though and right now they're reallyy pushing that Netflix gritty realistic shit which shouldnt be this show in my opinion. I'll say more when I'm msober and watched the next couple episodes.

damnit man, just give me my tv kung fu fix until the Badlands starts in a few days. Don't fuck this up me Netflix!

MartyStu

Watched 'till episode 4. Not awful, but very meh.

I think the biggest issue I have with the show thus far is that it does not seem to have anything to say. Its just a series of events.

Things I really like:

-Colleen

Things I really dislike:

-The Direction - Dull AoS Season 1
-The Acting - Mixed
-The Writing - Uninspired

shaowebb

Starting ep4

So far, i don't get the hate the critics give it.

Same. This show is fine. I dont know what they were goin on about. I seriously think they were just wanting more sex and fighting again. What they've done is a good show so far.

Top Bottom