• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man |OT| An Animated Homecoming on Disney XD

Penguin

The latest Spider-man animated series premiered last week on Disney XD, and figured make a thread for folks to discuss the show.

Yqj5AHH.jpg

What Is Marvel's Spider-man?

It is the latest animated series starring Marvel's Spider-man. It's the second to be produced by Disney after Ultimate Spider-man. Unlike Ultimate Spider-man this is a "back to basic" Spider-man series with a focus on Peter, his supporting cast and being in high school.

Who is In It?
The show will of course star Peter Parker's Spider-man, but Miles Morales (Spider-man) and Anya Corazon (Spidergirl) are also main players on the show.
MSM-Key-Art.jpg

Also expect the usual supporting chars Harry, Norman, Aunt May, Gwen Stacey, Flash Thompson and more!

The “Marvel’s Spider-Man” voice cast includes: Robbie Daymond (“Bread Winners,” “Get Blake”) as Spider-Man, Max Mittleman as Harry Osborn (“One-Punch Man,” “Transformers: Robots in Disguise”), Nadji Jeter as Miles Morales (“Jessie,” “Kirby Buckets”), Melanie Minichino (“Blaze and the Monster Machine,” “Mr. Peabody and Sherman”) as Anya Corazon, Fred Tatasciore (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”) as Max Modell, Laura Bailey (“DragonBall Z,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) as Gwen Stacy, Nancy Linari (“The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest,” “The Addams Family”) as Aunt May, Patton Oswalt (“Ratatouille,” “Pickle and Peanut”) as Uncle Ben, Scott Menville (“Teen Titans,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”) as Doc Ock, John DiMaggio (“Clarence,” “Samurai Jack”) as The Jackal, Alastair Duncan (“The Batman,” “Final Fantasy XIV”) as Vulture, and Marvel’s very own Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, who is also executive producing the series, as the coffee shop owner Joe.

How Is It?
You can check out the first episode on Youtube right now!
Horizon High Part 1

When does it air?
Currently airs at 7:30 am ET on Disney XD and seems to rerun at 11am ET.

Let's swing to it!

Slayven

It is a hundred times better then i expected it to be.

And fuck you it got the Anya in it. Second best Spider female ever

Nesotenso

It is a hundred times better then i expected it to be.

And fuck you it got the Anya in it. Second best Spider female ever

but why the fuck they Miles/Anya gotta be in high school with him.

Fuck I hate this "Spider-man and Friends shit" going on in his animated shows.

Kevinroc

The way this show is going I'm expecting them to introduce Mary Jane and put her in her Renew Your Vows costume later.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's okay so far. I just wish the animation was better. It looks like it was done on loose change, especially compared to the new DuckTales which looks beautiful.

It's okay so far. I just wish the animation was better. It looks like it was done on loose change, especially compared to the new DuckTales which looks beautiful.

Honestly I think Disney just kinda sees its superhero cartoons as obligatory and a means of further merchandising, rather than as projects for their own sake like, well, with something like Ducktales. Which is a shame because some of the people working on this stuff really are passionate fans - I follow a former animator for the series on twitter (she works at Sony now, ironically) and it's quite clear she both loved her time on the show and is excited for people to now be able to enjoy it as well.

Which admittedly makes it feel slightly awkward that I find the show to currently range from good to mediocre, at its worst when it comes off as... well, trying too hard, particularly with pushing the 'SCIENCE' angle. Like, characters guess the Spider-Slayer(?) being 'organic' in some fashion with seemingly no evidence whatsoever, and it pulls me out of the show. In contrast, I really like how they're setting up the conflict between Peter and Harry - both in its inadvertent aspects and their keeping secrets from one another - along with stuff like Peter having this nice opportunity in going to Horizon, but that opportunity coming with literal costs that he doesn't want to impose on his Aunt. There's potential in the series, and I do hope it blossoms into something great.

Slayven

Honestly I think Disney just kinda sees its superhero cartoons as obligatory and a means of further merchandising, rather than as projects for their own sake like, well, with something like Ducktales. Which is a shame because some of the people working on this stuff really are passionate fans - I follow a former animator for the series on twitter (she works at Sony now, ironically) and it's quite clear she both loved her time on the show and is excited for people to now be able to enjoy it as well.

Which admittedly makes it feel slightly awkward that I find the show to currently range from good to mediocre, at its worst when it comes off as... well, trying too hard, particularly with pushing the 'SCIENCE' angle. Like, characters guess the Spider-Slayer(?) being 'organic' in some fashion with seemingly no evidence whatsoever, and it pulls me out of the show. In contrast, I really like how they're setting up the conflict between Peter and Harry - both in its inadvertent aspects and their keeping secrets from one another - along with stuff like Peter having this nice opportunity in going to Horizon, but that opportunity coming with literal costs that he doesn't want to impose on his Aunt. There's potential in the series, and I do hope it blossoms into something great.
The 50 dollar filing fee is real

Just caught the first three episodes last night. It's great to see them move back to having more of a Spectacular feel than the 4th wall breaking humor of Ultimate. Hearing past Spidey Josh Keaton as Norman Osborn is inspired!

I agree with everyone else that the animation could be much better, I'm just glad that it seems they're moving away from that plain, "80s cartoon in HD" artstyle of their other cartoons.

vaderise

So this is worth watching? After clusterfucks like Ulmate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble , this being just okay is fine for me.

The show seems to be getting more comfortable with itself. Still a bit weird with just uh, how smart its teenagers are meant to be. Seriously, Peter noticeably can't afford his tuition easily, the pair from the new episode built shocker gauntlets as presumably a hobby.

So this is worth watching? After clusterfucks like Ulmate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble , this being just okay is fine for me.

Actually, all the Marvel shows have been at least decent since Wacker had taken over. Even Assemble has come a LONG way since uninspired movie tie-in.

Edit: Honestly, the only real bad thing about Marvel Animation these days is their animation budget.

Watched it and I am liking it so far. Animation could be better and I don't know how I feel about some of Spider-man's villains being teenagers but I'll see how it goes. X-Men Evolution made it work.

I also really like the emphasis so far on Peter and Harry's friendship since a lot of the time emphasis is placed more on Peter's romantic relationships.

dh4niel

You can't even look at the main Disney XD YouTube channel in the UK. It just comes up blank. I managed to watch those little Origin mini episodes though. I like it.

You can't even look at the main Disney XD YouTube channel in the UK. It just comes up blank. I managed to watch those little Origin mini episodes though. I like it.

I know, right? It's weird because you can watch the videos just fine if you find them through referrals or the search engine, but try to go to the account directly? Nope.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if it's fine to mention, but proxtube usually does a good job with country issues on YouTube.

I agree on Assemble being quite got at this point too

VeeP

Yep. Reminds me a lot of spectacular over those two shows tbh, but I've only seen the first two episodes.

Kuro

I would have killed for an animated show adapted from the Homecoming movie. Ned Leeds and Michelle Jones as supporting cast. That probably would have messed too much with movie canon though if they don't have too much planned in advance. Or is it a Sony problem?

Ultimate Spider Man wasn't too bad by the time it ended and Avengers Assemble is a HELL of a lot better than it was. It really shaped up last season and this season is so far pretty good. Now worth watching.

So, this incarnation of the Jackal is Gwen Stacy's uncle instead of being of a college professor who was obsessed with Gwen.

Raxus

Yep. Reminds me a lot of spectacular over those two shows tbh, but I've only seen the first two episodes.

Yep. VA's are pretty great and animation is passable. After SU and Ducktales Reboot though the backgrounds assault my eyes. I really hope they get more consistent as time goes on.

Penguin

Ok minor headache, but it seems like the cable listing is all messed up

Episode 5 is before Episode 4, but seems storyline wise that's actually correct

Also they aired two episodes today instead of the one.

And no repeat at 11, but at 2

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok minor headache, but it seems like the cable listing is all messed up

Episode 5 is before Episode 4, but seems storyline wise that's actually correct

Also they aired two episodes today instead of the one.

And no repeat at 11, but at 2
Hmm, I noticed the episodes were backwards last week when I was viewing the schedule, so I was going to watch them in order, but I guess that's not correct now? Someone messed up.

PSqueak

Banned
Edit: wrong thread, adding question for actual thread.

Youpak is not letting me see the episode, is there any other trick to watch it?

Not sure I like that every villain is connected to Peter's school in some way. Feels like a Smallville solution to shoehorn villains into this world.

Famassu

Any other quick ways to make a youtube vid work in regions it's not intended to than changing youtube.com to youpak.com? Youpak.com isn't working... I think I've seen some other alternative in some Last Week Tonight thread but I don't remember what it was.

Everything in the Spiderman mythos revolves around Osborn.
It's one thing to have Osborn open up a rival school and Harry go there. It's another to have Doc Oct as a Professor, the Rhino be a classmate, the Jackal be another Professor related to Gwen, another pair of classmates make prototype weaponry for I'm guessing Shocker. Black Cat was the only one so far who was not a student or Professor yet (her identity wasn't revealed) but she was operating under some else connected to the school I believe I don't really remember that episode.

I feel like they are going to really stretch each week to have some science project or experiment go wrong to supply NY with villains from Spidey's Rogue gallery. Every single super human activity can be linked to these two schools.

caliph95

well in cartoons, it just a way to accelerate world building
Makes sense green goblin is the villain everybody knows and has a big science company so it's a good excuse to make up villains without thinking too hard about it。

It's either that or roxxon

Slayven

Makes sense green goblin is the villain everybody knows and has a big science company so it's a good excuse to make up villains without thinking too hard about it。

It's either that or roxxon

It's funny because Osborn was dead for the vast majority of his existence. Kinda of like how Carol was in a coma and Cap was in ice.

CO_Andy

It's everything i could hope for out of a new series. Like some have mentioned here, it's more like Spectacular than Ultimate. Thumbs up!

Any other quick ways to make a youtube vid work in regions it's not intended to than changing youtube.com to youpak.com? Youpak.com isn't working... I think I've seen some other alternative in some Last Week Tonight thread but I don't remember what it was.
Use a vpn (free on vpnbook) or use a youtube downloader (4kdownload)

Top Bottom