• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Glass Rebel

Marvel Executive: Yo, Siggy Weaves!

Sigourney Weaver: Sup!

Marvel Executive: We'll pay you a large sum of money to appear in The Defenders!

Sigourney Weaver: What will I have to do?

Marvel Executive: Stand around in fancy outfits in static locations whilst delivering endless reams of vague, expository dialogue whilst saying "My child" every twenty seconds.

Sigourney Weaver: Done!

You should write for these shows.

carlsojo

Just finished episode 4. Each episode has been an improvement on the last.

I like how in the restaurant there are red, green, yellow, and purple lights/colors.

Matt and Jess are best.

JSevere

about halfway through the series. I'm enjoying it, mainly because I missed the casts of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage and it's great to see them all together. Cox and Ritter are carrying the show right now.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Saw the first episode, and mostly liked it. It's a lot of table setting for all the character's own unique situations. Glad to finally get a clearer idea of
what the Black Sky is actually capable of
though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Finished Episode 6.

Lots of really lovely character moments in this episode. Luke and Danny chatting
whilst Danny was tied up
and Jessica and Matt's interactions around
the piano
were great.

Also, I'm really enjoying Mike Colter as Cage in this. Dude really seems to be coming into the role.

Matt and Jess are best.

Not been much for shipping...but I'd totally ship it.

EDIT: Can't believe Alexandra really gave a
"You and I are not so different" speech.

Blader

Kilgrave was the best part of JJ and that is what makes it bad. Tennant didn't act well in it for me and hammed it up way too much for my liking. Having seen Tennant in a lot of other shows it is by far one of his worst parts. It's why I would only count DD 1 and 2 as the shows I can say I enjoyed watching ( and even they got a boring).

umm I'm going to assume at least one of those other Tennant shows you've seen is Doctor Who, which has plenty of Tennant hamming it up (which the show calls for anyway).

I've seen him in Who and Broadchurch too, and I thought he was excellent in JJ. Might be my favorite MCU villain performance period and I say that as someone who otherwise didn't like JJ all that much.

VeeP

Eh, can't make you like a villain obviously, but let's not act like Kilgrave ain't carry the fuck out of Jessica Jones lol

Man Killgrave was fucking great. I really enjoyed him as a villain. They really messed up introducing him early on and then not really doing anything with him. The whole show to me felt like it was just trying to stretch it out to as many episodes as possible.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Episode 4.

Hey look, Dany is actually able to fight when it's not Scott Buck. Still not a fan of him only using the Iron Fist once now and then, though.

Episode 3

I liked that flashback of Black Sky Elektra.

Danny is still awful (though better than in his own show), and I'm glad Luke called him out on his shit.

Jessica pretending to be someone else was great.

That whole boardroom/Midland Financial scene was awesome, holy shit.

Well, I guess I'll be the weird one here - I marathoned it since 7am and just finished and I really liked it. I didn't feel there was one bad episode in the entire thing, which is something I can't say about the other shows.
It was exactly what I thought it was going to be and exactly what I wanted - all these heroes teaming up in a somewhat natural way and interacting with each other for basically the entire thing, a good villain with some build up, and no cg monster at the end.
I skipped Iron Fist, but I thought Danny was fine. He was likable enough.
I dunno, maybe I'm just too easy to please now. I should probably watch Iron Fist. Maybe I'll like it.

Also, they mentioned "the incident" again, wasn't that originally a reference to Avengers 1? They're officially not connected to the MCU, so it's weird to bring it up now. Unless they were talking about something else.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well, I guess I'll be the weird one here - I marathoned it since 7am and just finished and I really liked it. I didn't feel there was one bad episode in the entire thing, which is something I can't say about the other shows.
It was exactly what I thought it was going to be and exactly what I wanted - all these heroes teaming up in a somewhat natural way and interacting with each other for basically the entire thing, a good villain with some build up, and no cg monster at the end.
I skipped Iron Fist, but I thought Danny was fine. He was likable enough.
I dunno, maybe I'm just too easy to please now. I should probably watch Iron Fist. Maybe I'll like it.

Also, they mentioned "the incident" again, wasn't that originally a reference to Avengers 1? They're officially not connected to the MCU, so it's weird to bring it up now. Unless they were talking about something else.
Where was it ever said they weren't connected? They've referenced the movies numerous times.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ep 6:

Luke: What are you gonna do, get rid of the body ?
Stick: Something like that
Luke *what the fuck .. I'm out*

lol, this show has had some REALLY good character moments so far.

Shy

The fight chronography and camera work is so so bad in this show. Often you don't know who is fighting who and where. Murdock will fight someone and suddenly it'll be a close up shot of someone picking up a brick but you don't know who it is, turns out it's Like Cage hitting someone else...but I don't know if he's the same guy Murdock was fighting.

Way too much shaky cam, way too many cuts and close ups Ugh ! Where's the guy who did fight scenes for Daredevil? It seems like it's the Iron Fist guy's handiwork.
This post is 100% concentrated truth.

Got to the end, If it wasn't for Jessica Jones, I would rank the show under Iron Fist. This is what they've been building towards with the solo shows?

The finale is terrible.

Also, I really dislike Foggy and Karen. I can't listen to Foggy whine at Matt ever again.

Metalmarc

Who the fuck is ruining the T.V Marvel stuff? Someone is doing it, if it's not shit then it's just okay to bland

You dont go from Daredevil Season 1 Greatness and Jessica Jones to Iron Fist and also the Inhumans

They seem to have left Legion alone cos they thought Fox would ruin it for them, watch season 2 get sabotaged.

Vectorman

Banned
So is the consensus on here that the show is doing the same thing like Luke Cage did where it looked super good but then ended up pretty meh? That's a bummer.

So is the consensus on here that the show is doing the same thing like Luke Cage did where it looked super good but then ended up pretty meh? That's a bummer.

Actually, the first couple of episodes are pretty dull, then it picks up in the middle, but then the plot ties itself in knots and makes little sense. Plus it insists on cramming each of the heroes side characters in, which is fine if they're Colleen or Misty, but not so fine if they're the terminally irritating Foggy or Karen or even Trish (who I don't dislike, but she does nothing here).

Also Iron Fist continues to be terrible, and because they decided to not give him his costume, the only costumed-up hero is Daredevil and he looks ridiculous alongside the other three in their hoodies and jeans.

Episode 4 was good. Still the action scenes are shot terribly. Weird camera angles, shaky cam etc ruin the excellent action. I don't know why people shoot action scenes like this. Its beyond stupid. Daredevil had some slick action which was shot quite well.

jackdoe

Are the very terrible, first four minutes of episode 1 a good representation of the kind of quality I'll be in for if I watch the rest of the show?

Dali

Are the very terrible, first four minutes of episode 1 a good representation of the kind of quality I'll be in for if I watch the rest of the show?
Haha. My thoughts from a post made at like 4 or 5am itt. It gets better. The choreography never reaches daredevil season one levels but it gets better. Was pretty disappointed Matt is still the only guy that takes damage for the most part. Danny the douche gets the business given to him a good bit but no black eyes or anything result.

X-Frame

Why can't I download Defenders on the Netflix app? I don't understand, are they blocking that feature for their own shows?

Zero315

Banned
I dont get why people keep saying its not connected, just because they dont always reference eachother.

Because, for all intents and purposes, they're not, or might as well be separate. Nothing in the Netflixverse comes up during the films and the only thing from the films that are referenced is "the incident". Like, if they were connected Tony would've been all over the "earthquake" at the beginning of the show.

Is Iron Fist/Danny handled better here than in his solo series?

They mostly spend the series shitting on him, so yes.

Got to the end, If it wasn't for Jessica Jones, I would rank the show under Iron Fist. This is what they've been building towards with the solo shows?

The finale is terrible.

Also, I really dislike Foggy and Karen. I can't listen to Foggy whine at Matt ever again.

No way this is worse than Iron Fist, not even close. For one thing it at least managed to focus on the title characters. The action is hit or miss, but it wasn't 50 jump cuts in 60 seconds bad.

Because, for all intents and purposes, they're not, or might as well be separate. Nothing in the Netflixverse comes up during the films and the only thing from the films that are referenced is "the incident". Like, if they were connected Tony would've been all over the "earthquake" at the beginning of the show.

They mostly spend the series shitting on him, so yes.

No way this is worse than Iron Fist, not even close. For one thing it at least managed to focus on the title characters. The action is hit or miss, but it wasn't 50 jump cuts in 60 seconds bad.
I mean they straight up name drop Tony in Luke cage, I just see it as if the studio says it is then it is. I mean these characters also make it clear in all the shows that they dont want to be associated with the others anyway. I get what youre saying though, I know it shouldnt be a big deal but its annoying sometimes when they tip toe around it.

Sadist

Watching the first ep, but I really got a chuckle at
when Luke goes downtown on Claire lol

Thirst is real

Does this have enough DD content to be worthwhile for someone who's only watched DD? Like do any of the storylines in that show continue here?

I mean they straight up name drop Tony in Luke cage, I just see it as if the studio says it is then it is. I mean these characters also make it clear in all the shows that they dont want to be associated with the others anyway. I get what youre saying though, I know it shouldnt be a big deal but its annoying sometimes when they tip toe around it.
If not Tony, who might be off doing Avengers shit, at least Spider-Man would have at least dropped in to check things out about the earthquake.

But the real problem, I think, is The Hand. If they are so far-reaching and powerful and not even hiding their operations, someone should have known about them in the movie sphere.

Beefy

umm I'm going to assume at least one of those other Tennant shows you've seen is Doctor Who, which has plenty of Tennant hamming it up (which the show calls for anyway).

I've seen him in Who and Broadchurch too, and I thought he was excellent in JJ. Might be my favorite MCU villain performance period and I say that as someone who otherwise didn't like JJ all that much.

Dr Who has been shit for years due to Mofat.

Top Bottom