• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Anyone got a code for a nice FemShep? I've restarted twice now because the two I've made look horrible once you're actually in the game; gg Bioware for not give us a full 360 degree camera when creating our character.

Grunt looks bad ass, it's a shame most characters dlc alts have sunglasses of some kind though, jack's alt in an older pack is great but her shades ruin it.

Never hit any bugs when I did a playthrough on normal which was complete enough to get every trophy except level 30 and insanity. No glitches, no corrupt data, no lockups.

Just don't play for 12 hours straight. :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Diablohead said:
Grunt looks bad ass, it's a shame most characters dlc alts have sunglasses of some kind though, jack's alt in an older pack is great but her shades ruin it.

Not true, its less of her face you have to look at. Sort of fits her character though. Not as cool as Thane's shades.

I would love the alternate appearance packs, but because of the goddamn shades/visors I never use them. I'd buy this to have Miranda finally wearing some armor, but the visor ruins it.

... It's not as bad as Grunt's though.

Charles

Hey guys, I just finished the
derelict reaper
and recruited
legion
. About 29 hours in, how much longer have I got?

Rufus

Charles said:
derelict reaper
and recruited
legion
Unless you've got any other missions do to, you're about to go on the suicide mission and end the game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Charles said:
derelict reaper
and recruited
legion

You're very close.

And I finished my Insanity playthrough last night. Playing as a Soldier on Insanity is so easy. Now I'm doing a female, renegade Adept for the NOLB Achievement. :p

Sai

Stallion Free said:
Oh come on they better let us toggle off the headgear.
They won't. Miranda and Grunt's visors don't look quite as bad though, IMO... Man, they didn't really take any risks with Tali. It's been a while since I've played ME2, but I'm not seeing much of a difference from her Loyalty outfit.

I've said it before in the old thread, but Jack's DLC outfit would've been perfect for her if not for the shades.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh man, I'm up to the suicide run, and because of some stupid argument that happened early on, I'm about to lose a crew member. I don't think I can pump my Paragon rating up enough to defuse the tensions.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Mifune said:
Oh man, I'm up to the suicide run, and because of some stupid argument that happened early on, I'm about to lose a crew member. I don't think I can pump my Paragon rating up enough to defuse the tensions.
can you respec and choose 100% speech bonus?

Sai said:
They won't. Miranda and Grunt's visors don't look quite as bad though, IMO... Man, they didn't really take any risks with Tali. It's been a while since I've played ME2, but I'm not seeing much of a difference from her Loyalty outfit.

I've said it before in the old thread, but Jack's DLC outfit would've been perfect for her if not for the shades.
yeah the shades really killed that first alt pack for me too. I'm hoping their going to let us choose squad armor in ME3

Neki

Mifune said:
If respeccing doesn't work, just make sure not to select your disloyal person for any sort of mission, despite their strengths. I think it's okay to take them for the first two, but do not bring that member to the last boss fight. Leave Grunt, Garrus and Zaeed behind with your disloyal member and they might be able to live.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
VaLiancY said:

I like Grunt's armor, it's the color scheme I'm in love with.

Edit - Click for a bigger resolution.

LOVE Miranda's suit, I am a bit jealous My Femshep cannot wear that.

Mifune

Mehmber
Ultimoo said:
If respeccing doesn't work, just make sure not to select your disloyal person for any sort of mission, despite their strengths. I think it's okay to take them for the first two, but do not bring that member to the last boss fight. Leave Grunt, Garrus and Zaeed behind with your disloyal member and they might be able to live.

I did the respec and I still don't have that one conversation option unlocked. Oh well. I'll try to keep her out of harm's way in the final mission.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Vinneh

Banned
Ultimoo said:
That's what I did. Worked like a charm, no deaths :)

esbern

whoops just realized there was an OT2, anyway putting my post in the first one here:

Alright ME2 noob here, trying to construct a decent party on the difficulty level below insanity (my first playthrough) before I jump into the omega red warp.

I've been running through everything and really really like using Grunt and Legion, since they both have tanking skills from their loyalty missions and I love throwing a drone out for distractions. My main dude is a Soldier and I have Adrenaline Rush fully maxed and I stay back and sniper everything I see while the other two tank everything for me, and its going really well.

So the point is, does anybody else use this setup and have any tweaks they recommend, or am I just awful at the game and these two kinda suck?

IoCaster

esbern said:
whoops just realized there was an OT2, anyway putting my post in the first one here:

Alright ME2 noob here, trying to construct a decent party on the difficulty level below insanity (my first playthrough) before I jump into the omega red warp.

I've been running through everything and really really like using Grunt and Legion, since they both have tanking skills from their loyalty missions and I love throwing a drone out for distractions. My main dude is a Soldier and I have Adrenaline Rush fully maxed and I stay back and sniper everything I see while the other two tank everything for me, and its going really well.

So the point is, does anybody else use this setup and have any tweaks they recommend, or am I just awful at the game and these two kinda suck?

Use whoever you want and let it work for you. Keep in mind that at some point in the Suicide Mission you'll be tasked with leaving some folks behind to guard a strong point. Choose wisely amongst those squad members that would rightly be considered to be heavy defenders. *wink, nod*

esbern said:

For the Suicide mission I would personally recommend using Miranda and Thane. Collectors are Barrier heavy so having 2 squaddies with Warp is very useful. I personally use Unstable Warp, the shorter cooldown is worth the tradeoff in damage to me. Maxing Miranda's passive is a must. The stat boost is very useful. Personally I would go with Cerberus Leader at Rank 4.

Health: +20.00%
Weapon Damage: +25.00%
Squad Health: +7.50%
Squad Weapon Damage: +15.00%

On ME2's higher difficulties the health boost will matter less since enemies take you down to red in a matter of seconds anyways (my experience on Insanity, never played Hardcore). Better to maximize how fast you kill them and stay in cover.

Use the squad commands to have Thane sit back and snipe, specifically with the Mantis. Squaddies tend to pop out of cover and only take 1-2 shots with any sniper anyways so you might as well maximize that damage to time spent out of cover with a single shot sniper. Incisor isn't a bad choice either but the Mantis' damage boost to armor will come in handy vs Harbinger.

Samara is also and excellent choice if Miranda is unavailable. Reave is great for Barrier damage and she has Pull which you use with Thane for Warp explosions. Give her the Vindicator, like with Thane and his sniper, squaddies maximize damage on burst fire weapons better.

And do not underestimate Squad Cryo Ammo. It is incredibly useful, even on higher difficulties where enemies almost always have protection. Use squad cryo, then equip your ammo power of choice on your own guns. Inferno or Warp ammo are good choices (personally I would never use a Biotic bonus power on a non Biotic character, breaks immersion for me). The effectiveness of Squad Cryo is difficult to put into words, you have to play it to see just how powerful it is. I would link you to a vid with a Vanguard tearing shit up with SquadCryo but it's a vid of the suicide mission and I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Phatcorns

While we're on the topic of faces, has anyone ever managed to get Patrick Stewart aka Captain Picard in the game?

You know, I think more than anything in the world, the greatest thing ever would be to have him in the game fully voiced by Patrick Stewart. I would literally name ME2 as the greatest game ever made for that alone.

Mr Jared

Now that I've finally gained S-Rank status for Mass Effect 2 (I FINALLY completed an Insanity run after putting it off for ages. Only problem was Horizon which took a few continues) I'm diving into the PC version for some mods.

And let me tell you, modding this game in is a gigantic pain in the ass. There's really no easy way to go about it and even with a mod manager, there's still a lot of heavy lifting to be done on your hand. A lot of confusing, script-rich lifting. All I really wanted to do was have a FemShep that had Kelly's hair, so instead I settled with just taking the whole damn head.

Here are a handful of screenshots, the last one being after I tweaked my config file for Trilinear filtering, improved shadows and all that jazz.

http://yfrog.com/f/gyvo3p/ (Kelly w/ Miranda's clothing)
http://yfrog.com/f/h4h32p/ (Kelly w/ original N7 armor)
http://yfrog.com/f/h5ddnqp/ (Kelly w/ Miranda's clothing)
http://yfrog.com/f/h39shsp/ (Kelly w/ Miranda Loyalty Outfit)

There are a few hi-res texture mods out there for certain characters but apparently you have to reinstall them every time you play so uh.. that's not going to happen.

Mr Jared said:
Now that I've finally gained S-Rank status for Mass Effect 2 (I FINALLY completed an Insanity run after putting it off for ages. Only problem was Horizon which took a few continues) I'm diving into the PC version for some mods.

And let me tell you, modding this game in is a gigantic pain in the ass. There's really no easy way to go about it and even with a mod manager, there's still a lot of heavy lifting to be done on your hand. A lot of confusing, script-rich lifting. All I really wanted to do was have a FemShep that had Kelly's hair, so instead I settled with just taking the whole damn head.

Here are a handful of screenshots, the last one being after I tweaked my config file for Trilinear filtering, improved shadows and all that jazz.

http://yfrog.com/f/gyvo3p/ (Kelly w/ Miranda's clothing)
http://yfrog.com/f/h4h32p/ (Kelly w/ original N7 armor)
http://yfrog.com/f/h5ddnqp/ (Kelly w/ Miranda's clothing)
http://yfrog.com/f/h39shsp/ (Kelly w/ Miranda Loyalty Outfit)

There are a few hi-res texture mods out there for certain characters but apparently you have to reinstall them every time you play so uh.. that's not going to happen.
I don't have ME2 on PC (yet... D:) but this worked pretty well for changing hair.
http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?show=tutorials&tutorial=hair

LogicStep

Quick question:

If I play a female Shepard, can my love interest be Miranda? Do I get the trophy for doing romance with her?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
zazrx said:
Quick question:

If I play a female Shepard, can my love interest be Miranda? Do I get the trophy for doing romance with her?

I dont think you can do same gender relationships

Jerk

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
And do not underestimate Squad Cryo Ammo. It is incredibly useful, even on higher difficulties where enemies almost always have protection. Use squad cryo, then equip your ammo power of choice on your own guns. Inferno or Warp ammo are good choices (personally I would never use a Biotic bonus power on a non Biotic character, breaks immersion for me). The effectiveness of Squad Cryo is difficult to put into words, you have to play it to see just how powerful it is. I would link you to a vid with a Vanguard tearing shit up with SquadCryo but it's a vid of the suicide mission and I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Well, most of the problem with most enemies lies in stripping their defenses. After they are in the red, the innumerable ways you can dispose of them sort of devalues Cryo Ammo on Insane.

Not to mention that only three classes can use cryo ammo.

xKilltheMx said:
Ah I was going off memory of them saying it was getting resolved. But I've now learned that when Bioware says resolved they mean kind of looking into it sort of.
I didn't question why they didn't betatest more; I mean even in the demo there were glitches galore. I just held off from buying it for 2-3 weeks so they could patch out the bugs, kinda like what MLB: The Show and Fallout 3. However some of the things I'm reading about are making me wonder it if was worth plunking down the cash to buy this. The scary part is they released patches and I'm still reading about save corruption/glitches... I had no idea they still had Redemption Code issues reading this thread. I can't even start this game now because for some moronic reason the comic isn't on the Blu-Ray disc (which would easily fit it).

Patryn

Grisby said:
Yep. Interesting how they kind of moved forward on the relationships in DA but dialed it back in ME2.

Justification was that in DA you were playing your own character, but in ME you're playing Shepard, and Shepard is straight.

Of course, now you're playing a specific character in DA....

Top Bottom