• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Wiggum2007

Yea, like I suppose I could live with them forcing my sole survivor to work with Cerberus no matter what, but the fact that I couldn't even bring up my entire squad's death and torture at their hands (not to mention the rest of the shit from the ME1 sidequest chain), was endlessly frustrating.

lotrfan

Neo Member
I don't buy that Cerberus was the only solution.

The writers bent over backwards to put Shepard in a position where she had to turn to Cerberus.

It also doesn't help that
the upgraded Normandy tore the shit out of the Collectors, thus showing that they were never a threat in the first place. Keep in mind that it was one ship that did that, and if the Collectors had gone after Earth, they would have faced an armada. It was an empty threat.

So, no, I don't buy that Shepard refusing to work with Cerberus would have doomed the galaxy.
Name any other organization that was interested in recovering Sheppard’s body and spending whatever it took to revive him? The Alliance wouldn’t do it for practical reasons not to include that they never believed that a whole fleet of Reapers was coming. Same for the Council.

Once Shepard was revived under Cerebrus hands practically nobody really trusted him. Even if Anderson and/or the Admiral used all their influence to give him another ship etc this would have taken time and per the evidence provided by Cerberus many other colonies would have died while he was waiting. Also what about the Intel provided by Cerberus? Alliance and Council would have never been able to provide this because they had no interest in investigating something they didn’t believe was a threat.

Like it or not other than Cerberus and perhaps the Shadow Broker nobody had the resources and drive to make this Happen. You could ask for a different opening and having the council believe Shepard etc but that is not what happened and within what has been established Shepard had few if any options.

Regarding the Normandy’s upgrades, wasn’t the new cannon of Turian make? If so I doubt that it would have been readily available for humans to use. Also the Collectors mission wasn’t to go after Earth but just the colonies in the outer rim and perhaps if needed others closer to “civilization”. So they were a threat to the colonies and if left unchecked would have been able to produce a new Reaper. What doesn’t make sense is why a new Reaper since the Reapers were around the corner anyway unless it had some strategic value by demoralizing humans.

Name any other organization that was interested in recovering Sheppard’s body and spending whatever it took to revive him? The Alliance wouldn’t do it for practical reasons not to include that they never believed that a whole fleet of Reapers was coming. Same for the Council.

Once Shepard was revived under Cerebrus hands practically nobody really trusted him. Even if Anderson and/or the Admiral used all their influence to give him another ship etc this would have taken time and per the evidence provided by Cerberus many other colonies would have died while he was waiting. Also what about the Intel provided by Cerberus? Alliance and Council would have never been able to provide this because they had no interest in investigating something they didn’t believe was a threat.

Like it or not other than Cerberus and perhaps the Shadow Broker nobody had the resources and drive to make this Happen. You could ask for a different opening and having the council believe Shepard etc but that is not what happened and within what has been established Shepard had few if any options.

Regarding the Normandy’s upgrades, wasn’t the new cannon of Turian make? If so I doubt that it would have been readily available for humans to use. Also the Collectors mission wasn’t to go after Earth but just the colonies in the outer rim and perhaps if needed others closer to “civilization”. So they were a threat to the colonies and if left unchecked would have been able to produce a new Reaper. What doesn’t make sense is why a new Reaper since the Reapers were around the corner anyway unless it had some strategic value by demoralizing humans.

But why did Shepard have to die? It's only occasionally referenced, and nobody cares you're a walking corpse, either. I have a hard time believing that was the story they had envisioned while they were writing ME1.

I can see how collecting the squadmates in ME2 is important, because most of them will (probably) make dealing with one kind of species much easier. Grunt and the krogan, Tali and the quarians, Legion and the geth, and so on. They may not be important as squadmates, but on a galactic level, having them there might prove a huge boon during the events of ME3.

And it's pretty clear the Collectors were going to target earth. I mean, it's explictly stated during the "Collector Ship"-mission.

Patryn

But I don't buy the Alliance and the Council downplaying the Reaper threat in the first place. The writers knew that they had to justify Shepard working for Cerberus, so they forced those two groups into a characterization that made little sense in order to back Shepard into a corner.

Look at Anderson and the Council at the end of ME1. If you let the Council die, it's a human council. Why would they be ignoring human colonies? It makes no sense.

If you let the Council live, they clearly talk about the Reaper threat. Then you have the Normandy - one of the most advanced ships in the galaxy - get toasted by an unknown enemy and they blow it off like it's no big deal? Seriously, nothing about the characterization of those groups makes sense.

And in terms of trust, the Council gave me back my Spectre status. Once Shepard had that, I have little doubt that she could have gotten Alliance resources to help with this, since we already know that the Alliance was conducting military operations in the region. Why didn't they? Because you're actively working with Cerberus at the time.

Regardless, this is well-tred ground. If you bought into working with Cerberus, then more power to you.

To me, I'll never see it as anything other than writer fiat twisting and forcing the universe to fit into a new shape that doesn't really fit.

But I don't buy the Alliance and the Council downplaying the Reaper threat in the first place. The writers knew that they had to justify Shepard working for Cerberus, so they forced those two groups into a characterization that made little sense in order to back Shepard into a corner.

Look at Anderson and the Council at the end of ME1. If you let the Council die, it's a human council. Why would they be ignoring human colonies? It makes no sense.

If you let the Council live, they clearly talk about the Reaper threat. Then you have the Normandy - one of the most advanced ships in the galaxy - get toasted by an unknown enemy and they blow it off like it's no big deal? Seriously, nothing about the characterization of those groups makes sense.

i Soooo Agree with those above.

Bioware: What's consistent writing?

Watch them completely forget the ME2 party in ME3 and most of the important choices (lol) as well.

I'm not even sure what are those important choices in ME2 except the one at the end ( give the technology or not ) >> This one is proven to not be important and i just don't see what other choices could matter in ME2

lotrfan

Neo Member
I agree they forced Cerberus on us but I wouldn’t say the Council and Alliance reactions made little sense. Only people very close to Shepard would believe him and none of those were the “President” of the Alliance. The Council didn’t believe him in ME so not doing so after is well within character. You and others have a problem with the story (what little there is) and I understand why. I am looking for consistency within the story provided and whether I like it or not it is plausible so I accept it.
Because they are outside Council space. Basically they decided to settle on remote worlds that are not currently protected and can’t be (at the time) due to limited resources. All governments do this and it makes sense. All they can do is warn them. Even so they actually were looking into it just not with the urgency that was required.
Not sure how much did the Council talk about the Reapers but I agree, them and the Alliance ignoring the Normandy’s destruction doesn’t make sense.
And in terms of trust, the Council gave me back my Spectre status. Once Shepard had that, I have little doubt that she could have gotten Alliance resources to help with this, since we already know that the Alliance was conducting military operations in the region. Why didn't they? Because you're actively working with Cerberus at the time.
Yeah what little resources they could provide however they didn’t believe in the Reaper or Collector threat. They thought that it was Cerberus. Shepard needs the full support of the Alliance to pull this off and will never get it unless they buy into the Reaper/Collector threat.
Regardless, this is well-tred ground. If you bought into working with Cerberus, then more power to you.
To me, I'll never see it as anything other than writer fiat twisting and forcing the universe to fit into a new shape that doesn't really fit.
As said above I understand your position and agree that they forced this on us. The difference for me is that I am taking the events on face value and then checking to see if they make sense and they do.

All stories have situations where the reader or viewer can come up with a better scenario or solution. Take Lord of the Rings and in spite of its popularity etc some will always argue why couldn’t they just use the Eagles to reach Mordor and cast off the ring? Or in Return of the Jedi why did Luke throw his Lightsaber away after defeating Vader? As a reader or viewer I may not like particulars of the story but as long as they make sense I don’t take much issue with them.

Patryn

As said above I understand your position and agree that they forced this on us. The difference for me is that I am taking the events on face value and then checking to see if they make sense and they do.

You think they make sense. I think they don't. I don't think there's anything wrong with either viewpoint. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the story, but I just couldn't.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Dilly

Banned
Great, for some reason the game crashes after the mission report to acquire the Reaper IFF. No idea how to fix it, can't find anyone with the same issue on google.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not even sure what are those important choices in ME2 except the one at the end ( give the technology or not ) >> This one is proven to not be important and i just don't see what other choices could matter in ME2

The only ones i see is wiping the rebel geths or rewriting them, Tali getting kicked out of the Quarian fleet if you decide to reveal everything her father did, keeping or not the genophage cure Mordin's assistant was making and replacing Samara by Morinth.

Anything else im missing?

The worst i could see is that Geths will still be bad guys no matter what, Tali will still be with the rest of the quarians, Mordin will make a cure anyway and Morinth/Samara will only make a small appearance

The only ones i see is wiping the rebel geths or rewriting them, Tali getting kicked out of the Quarian fleet if you decide to reveal everything her father did, keeping or not the genophage cure Mordin's assistant was making and replacing Samara by Morinth.

Anything else im missing?

The worst i could see is that Geths will still be bad guys no matter what, Tali will still be with the rest of the quarians, Mordin will make a cure anyway and Morinth/Samara will only make a small appearance
those are not even remotly as important as ("keep the queen alive or not " , or "who is the ambassador" ( another choice that doesn't matter ) or "save the concil or not ")

I was talking about Big choices ..What you provided were character choices that shoudln't matter in the grand scheme

This was my biggest head scratcher and annoyance of ME2. The buildup and end of ME was so fucking Epic. Not to mention the whole story of "the first human spectre" and now we get head of the council yet ME2 sweeps all this under the rug for a collect-a-crew game?

The game play of ME2 was great, as was some of the stories involved(Mordin and the genophage..etc..) but I'm sorry, it did not have the same epic feel of ME nor did any of the major story continue for a supposed sequel.

That is also what worries me about ME3. I absolutely love this series but I just really think it's potential will never be realized, which is a shame. To me it seems like they still don't "get it". It's like they started with this epic beginning and possible end yet they have no idea how to fill in the middle. I hope that I am wrong and ME3 grabs the momentum of ME with the presentation and game play of ME2 and we get the game ME2 should have been. But from what I have seen so far.. I am very skeptical.

With regards to the human council - all human or part human - ignoring human colonies, it's implied in the books that the reason they're ignoring them is because colonies like Horizon are technically outside of the Alliance. These are humans who left the Alliance-sanctioned world seeding projects.

They're outside of the Alliance completely, forgoing taxes and alliance military protection - if it's a trust issue or whatever else isn't really said, but they're separatists of a sort. It's evidenced also in how they treat and react to Ashley/Kaiden in ME2. The Collectors are deliberately attacking smaller colonies outside the main systems that won't be missed; the Collectors never really go after any Alliance assets, and so the council - which is filled with Alliance folks - ignores them.

That much actually does make sense.

The actual whole "they're going to attack Earth!" thing feels more used by The Illusive Man to big up the threat when it wasn't really credible. It always seemed to me like they were only attacking smaller colonies.

Patryn

With regards to the human council - all human or part human - ignoring human colonies, it's implied in the books that the reason they're ignoring them is because colonies like Horizon are technically outside of the Alliance. These are humans who left the Alliance-sanctioned world seeding projects.

They're outside of the Alliance completely, forgoing taxes and alliance military protection - if it's a trust issue or whatever else isn't really said, but they're separatists of a sort. It's evidenced also in how they treat and react to Ashley/Kaiden in ME2. The Collectors are deliberately attacking smaller colonies outside the main systems that won't be missed; the Collectors never really go after any Alliance assets, and so the council - which is filled with Alliance folks - ignores them.

That much actually does make sense.

The actual whole "they're going to attack Earth!" thing feels more used by The Illusive Man to big up the threat when it wasn't really credible. It always seemed to me like they were only attacking smaller colonies.

Except, if they were "ignoring them," then why were they sending Kaiden/Ashley on a top secret mission to help them?

X-Frame

Can anyone confirm if the "Investigate" or generally the left-sided dialogue options affect Morality at all? Or is it just the right-sided dialogue choices .. (or both?)

DTKT

Can anyone confirm if the "Investigate" or generally the left-sided dialogue options affect Morality at all? Or is it just the right-sided dialogue choices .. (or both?)

Most of the renegade/paragons answers are triggers to advance the conversation. The investigate menu is mostly to have more info on whatever the conversation is about.

DanielJr82

Most of the renegade/paragons answers are triggers to advance the conversation. The investigate menu is mostly to have more info on whatever the conversation is about.
"Investigating" can also open up more chances to use those Paragon/Renegade options.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm having to recreate my save from Mass Effect 1 for Mass Effect 2. Do the following data hunt missions have any effect on Mass Effect 2?

▪ UNC: Prothean Data Discs → UNC: Collection Complete
▪ UNC: Turian Insignias → UNC: Collection Complete
▪ UNC: Valuable Minerals → UNC: Survey is Complete
▪ UNC: Locate Signs of Battle → UNC: Entire Collection is Found
▪ UNC: Asari Writings → UNC: Collection Complete

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm having to recreate my save from Mass Effect 1 for Mass Effect 2. Do the following data hunt missions have any effect on Mass Effect 2?

▪ UNC: Prothean Data Discs → UNC: Collection Complete
▪ UNC: Turian Insignias → UNC: Collection Complete
▪ UNC: Valuable Minerals → UNC: Survey is Complete
▪ UNC: Locate Signs of Battle → UNC: Entire Collection is Found
▪ UNC: Asari Writings → UNC: Collection Complete

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer#Assignment_Decisions

Petrie

Banned
So I'm doing a replay at the moment to get everything ideal for ME3, and I've done all the loyalty missions except for Legion and Samara, as I haven't acquired the IFF yet. I was told that once you've done the IFF mission, you become quite time contained on the number of events you can do before you will lose crew/characters on the final mission.

The problem for me is that I want to get Morinth in my party, but apparently I still do not have enough renegade points somehow. I didn't know about the death mask early on, so I couldn't use that for the boost, but now I find myself unable to recruit her because the renegade option is grayed out. I'm hoping to either find a way to get some extra renegade points somewhere else, or a way to save this mission until after Legion and such, but not lose any of my characters in the end. Is this possible or am I fully screwed?

How much have you done in the way of side missions and dlc? If you're that far into the game, you may be too far gone to pull it off.
The best thing I could think to do at that point is just finish as much side stuff as possible to boost it.

I never wanted Morinth, so maybe someone else can give you better help, but I'll try.

Petrie

Banned
How much have you done in the way of side missions and dlc? If you're that far into the game, you may be too far gone to pull it off.
The best thing I could think to do at that point is just finish as much side stuff as possible to boost it.

I never wanted Morinth, so maybe someone else can give you better help, but I'll try.
I did all the loyalty stuff, but thought maybe there were some sidequests or something on the main planets someone knew of that gave a decent amount of renegade points. Perhaps not.

Guess ill do the IFF and just hope that the game gives me time to do the side missions.

Mindlog

If I completed Mass Effect 1, can I change my Class in 2 if I import the save over? And how do I do so
The game will let you change after a certain scene. Just keep playing.

I did all the loyalty stuff, but thought maybe there were some sidequests or something on the main planets someone knew of that gave a decent amount of renegade points. Perhaps not.

Guess ill do the IFF and just hope that the game gives me time to do the side missions.
It's the cheap way out, but you could always just edit your save (360/PC.)

If you really want Morinth without anyone else dying it takes a little bit of planning or going full renegade.

Petrie

Banned
The game will let you change after a certain scene. Just keep playing.

It's the cheap way out, but you could always just edit your save (360/PC.)

If you really want Morinth without anyone else dying it takes a little bit of planning or going full renegade.
Yeah, I've done nothing but renegade, but apparently I still don't have enough points. Wish id remembered that damn helmet. I just assumed all out renegde ws enough. My first time throug I got her without issue, without a guide, but missed out on Legion.

No idea how to edit 360 saves though.

Mxrz

Well, I still liked ME2. I don't have any huge attachment to the original, so maybe that colors my views. All I really want out of ME3 is more Miranda and Tali rawrness, and more giant bosses.

I didn't pay super close attention, but the Alliance guy did say the colonies shouldn't exist, made the other races nervous about human expansion, and they couldn't officially get into it, no? But they were checking it out unofficially with Bitchy McSpeciesist. Asked Shepard to look into it for them too, I believe.

Persuasion checks are done based on the number of points you could have gotten up to this point vs the number you do have. Bonuses from character class and imports from ME1 are not factored into this check.

The code would look something like this:

IF (paragon points > potential_points*0.8)
{
paragon_persuade = true;
}

Tough choices are easier to "pass" early in the game with import bonuses, since they aren't factored into the "number of points you theoretically could have by now". Missions you have not done are not counted either.

For the Morinth decisions and a few other tough ones, you need like 95% potential points. It's ridiculous. You have to basically ONLY be paragon or ONLY be renegade, rather than making balanced decisions. Alternatively, you can try to do it as early as possible using import bonuses / passive character buffs, then make your other decisions later.

The team-mate persuades are easier with either Paragon OR Renegade. Tali vs Legion is much easier with Paragon. Miranda vs Jack is much easier using renegade. Keep this in mind.

Petrie

Banned
Persuasion checks are done based on the number of points you could have gotten up to this point vs the number you do have. Bonuses from character class and imports from ME1 are not factored into this check.

The code would look something like this:

IF (paragon points > potential_points*0.8)
{
paragon_persuade = true;
}

Tough choices are easier to "pass" early in the game with import bonuses, since they aren't factored into the "number of points you theoretically could have by now". Missions you have not done are not counted either.

For the Morinth decisions and a few other tough ones, you need like 95% potential points. It's ridiculous. You have to basically ONLY be paragon or ONLY be renegade, rather than making balanced decisions. Alternatively, you can try to do it as early as possible using import bonuses / passive character buffs, then make your other decisions later.

The team-mate persuades are easier with either Paragon OR Renegade. Tali vs Legion is much easier with Paragon. Miranda vs Jack is much easier using renegade. Keep this in mind.

Ahhh, so I basically screwed myself by NOT doing it early like I did the first time. Well isn't that just a load of crap. Shit.

Anybody want to better explain how to edit my save to maybe have her instead then, because I'm willing given the bullshit that is that system.

X-Frame

I do hope they overhauled the morality system in ME3 because of situations like that Petrie that are very annoying.

You shouldn't be forced to be only Paragon/Renegade in order to be experience all the bonus decisions in the game. It makes it impossible for me to go in and just be "normal" and react to situations accordingly -- such as Renegade to characters who are assholes and Paragon to nice characters.

If I did that I doubt I would be able to get all the morality bonuses because I'd maybe be 70% Paragon, 30% Renegade and it wouldn't be enough.

Tizoc

After months of being my backlog, I just started the game a few hours ago, and am about to start my first mission. Hope the game's combat starts getting good~

I want to replay ME2 on the hardest difficulty setting, but I can't bring myself to scan a few thousands planets again or go through all the dialogue options again. The meat of the game is really, really fun but there's a lot of fluff surrounding it that, while fun to experience once, would be tedious if experienced back to back. Luckily, ME3 is just around the corner!

X-Frame

So I have the Blood Dragon Armor linked to my GT and the 360, and it's even there on the BioWare site as Registered Game Content but it's not in my current play through -- what gives?

I have all the other armors and DLC weapons but not Blood Dragon. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Oops, never downloaded it -- redeemed it over a year ago so I forgot ..

Kyoufu

After months of being my backlog, I just started the game a few hours ago, and am about to start my first mission. Hope the game's combat starts getting good~

I only found Vanguard to be fun combat wise, and that took a while to get going. Which class are you playing?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I want to replay ME2 on the hardest difficulty setting, but I can't bring myself to scan a few thousands planets again or go through all the dialogue options again. The meat of the game is really, really fun but there's a lot of fluff surrounding it that, while fun to experience once, would be tedious if experienced back to back. Luckily, ME3 is just around the corner!

What are you playing on?

I've transitioned from 360 to PC and recently replayed ME2 so I have a save to carry over for 3. If you're on PC and you don't really care about "cheating" you could always just use a save editor and give yourself a ton of resources. Having already beat the game twice on 360 being able to skip the resource gathering stuff really helps if you've already played it before.

Just noticed you want to skip the dialogue stuff. That's the best part. :(

rozay

Banned
Sounds like you're the type of gamer who should be thankful for action mode in ME3.

I decided to play ME2 again. It's been a while. First thing I noticed is I could'nt connect to servers. Well, I thought, it's no problem I guess. Second thing I noticed is in the top left of the picture I have displayed "PHYSX - CPU". I have no idea why! Obviously this is from my GPU (GTX480) but why is it being displayed? It never used to be! Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I forgot to back-up my Shepard when I bought a new PC so I'm replaying both of them now to create a new save for the launch of ME3. I forgot how good ME1 was. While it's pretty bad in the combat-department everything else just shines about it. It truely is a work of love for all things sci-fi/fantasy. Just picked up Liara as my first stop after being made Spectre. Going to continue tomorrow.

What are you playing on?

I've transitioned from 360 to PC and recently replayed ME2 so I have a save to carry over for 3. If you're on PC and you don't really care about "cheating" you could always just use a save editor and give yourself a ton of resources. Having already beat the game twice on 360 being able to skip the resource gathering stuff really helps if you've already played it before.

Just noticed you want to skip the dialogue stuff. That's the best part. :(
PC. Didn't know there was a save editor available. Will have to check it out, thanks. Even when you become The Shadow Broker and have a list of the mineral-rich planets, scanning is a pain in the ass (loved it at first, though).

As for the dialogue... I put 35 hours into ONE single player campaign. I did every single available quest, most on the second hardest difficultly, did all of the DLC, and always selected ALL of the non-essentially dialogue options so that I would get more information on a character/the main plot. I KNOW EVERYTHING and I don't want to repeat it again so soon after experiencing it. There isn't enough variability in the dialogue or story to make that worthwhile. The gameplay, however, is dynamic enough that I want more of it. I want to play as another class, I want to see if I can abuse X power that I virtually ignored the first time, and I want to see what tactics I need to employ if I play on the hardest difficulty.

Sounds like you're the type of gamer who should be thankful for action mode in ME3.
I haven't seen a trailer or read any news about ME3, so this is news to me.

according to wikipedia:
In Action Mode, conversations will have automatic replies and a normal combat difficulty.
This sounds good for replayability, but I hope it still allows you to make all of the major decisions in the game (there aren't very many).

e: I'm also weird in that I feel uncomfortable about replaying the game and having different events occur. I am using saves from my first play throughs of ME1 and 2 for ME3. that means no wrex because I lacked the paragon to stop Ashley the KKK bitch from murdering him, and it means no Legion because I foolishly chose that psycho Samara to lead my second team at the end of ME2 (everyone else lived, including that lame bounty hunter). what's happened has happened. no parallel universes.

Top Bottom